SIX

Go against the rules

Baekhyun expected his alarm to be the thing to wake him that morning, not the sudden tigglish feeling happening on his forearm

Baekhyun expected his alarm to be the thing to wake him that morning, not the sudden tigglish feeling happening on his forearm. The high school student sat himself up in his bed and placed his left arm onto his pillow, watching with wide eyes as the letters began to spell out a sentence just below the address Lay had written onto his arm last night. 

I can't wait to see you later, you will be at that café right?

Baekhyun knew that random writing on his arm wasn't natural and it definitely wasn't right to want to start a conversation with whatever magic was involved in this crazy situation. However, the curiosity had gotten the better of him. He had watched Harry Potter and saw how a similar outcome had happened with the young wizard and the villain of his story, but strangely enough Baekhyun didn't feel freaked out about his predicament. 

Tossing a glance to his bedside table he noticed that he had left one of his favourite blue pens on the oak furniture, grasping it he plucked off it's cap. With a deep breath Baekhyun pressed the pen to his skin, a small smile curling by the corner of his lips as he wrote his responce. 

Yes. At 8am, shall I be expecting you?

"Did I just do that?" Baekhyun laughed capping his pen and throwing it back on his table, he tossed the blankets away before climbing out of bed with a soft sigh leaving his lips. His eyes gazed down at his wrapped ankle, praying to whatever god was out there in hope that it wouldn't hurt when he put pressure on it. With a deep breath Baekhyun rose onto his feet and almost gasped at the outcome, there was no pain at all. 

A nervous laugh left his lips as he stared down at his ankle, daring himself to spin it around in it's socket. To test his theory Baekhyun briefly held onto the wall as he walked out into his kitchen (after grabbing his phone just in case), desperate to see if he was just imagining everything. At first he considered being completely numb to the pain but after he hit his knee off a cabinet he knew that theory wasn't right, which left him with determining Lay as an angel with his 'healing hands'. 

The clock on his phone claimed that he had about 10 minutes before his alarm was to ring, which would have woken him up if it wasn't for the graffiti on his forearm. He tossed it another glance as he cracked open some eggs into a pot, his eyes trailing the handwriting yet again. Whoever was writing him back was very neat and tidy a direct contract to his own, Baekhyun just hoped that whatever magical being communicating with him could read his message. 

All too sudden the tingling sensation had yet again returned, Baekhyun's heart thundered against his ribcage in a fast rhythm. His left hand whisking the eggs in the pot while his eyes waited for a reply, he noticed that the tingling lasted for about ten seconds before the words were made visible. 

Yes, please look out for me! I'll be there as early as I can, I'll be wearing a black cap!

"Black cap?" Baekhyun mumbled, messing around with the wooden spoon in his fingers. He attempted to focus on the scrambled eggs he was cooking and the toast that was being cooked. He couldn't believe that he was communicating with an actual human being and it wasn't some weird dream that he couldn't wake up from, he would be meeting with the person who had claimed that his flower drawing was beautiful. He would be meeting with the person he was communicating with in the most strangest of ways. "Well, you only live once right? What's the worse thing that could happen?" 

"Knock knock!" Lay laughed entering his student's apartment with the spare key Baekhyun gave him in case of emergencies. A small grin developed on the Chinese male as he watched Baekhyun walk around happily on his ankle, almost as if nothing had happened to him the previous day. "You seem to be doing really well today!" 

"Yeah," Baekhyun agreed with a quick dip of his head. "I was scared of putting pressure on it earlier but it's almost back to normal now!" 

"I'm glad" Lay smiled, closing the door over as he entered the apartment. "I won't be able to spend the day with you since I still have to go to school but I will drop you off just in case your ankle starts acting up again." 

"Thank you Lay" Baekhyun sighed, he looked at his professor with so much adoration that even Lay's heart had to take a moment to register it. "I honestly don't know what I would do without you." 

"Die" the professor joked, however his glee only last so long since his student threw a silver spoon at his head. "probably, oh come on I was only kidding was that really necessary?" 

"Yup!" Baekhyun challenged, sending a glare in the professor's direction. Lay simply rolled his eye as he picked the spoon up from the floor, being sure to rub his forehead dramatically in hopes that Baekhyun would feel some sort of remorse. He came up empty handed. 


 

"Baekhyun thank gosh you're here!" Kyle sighed in relief as he rushed towards the door, pulling the young boy into an embrace. Baekhyun stumbled for a moment before getting his footing back, he laughed into the café owner's neck and hugged him back just as tightly. "You're saving my tail feather today do you know that?!" 

"I'm sorry that I wasn't able to come yesterday, my ankle was hurting really bad-" Baekhyun attempted to explain but his boss merely stepped away and looked him straight in the eye as he shook his head. 

"All that matters right now is that you are okay, I've already set up a stool behind the register for you. I don't want you getting even worse!" 

"Thank you" Baekhyun grinned, allowing Kyle to take his wrist and gently pull him over to the counter. He stretched his free hand out showcasing the quick set up he had going for Baekhyun alone, the high school student almost choking up at the sight of it. Even though he was able to put pressure on his ankle he was still scared that he would go backwards with the amount of standing required for being the cashier, without thinking Baekhyun once again embraced the American and whispered his thanks. "I really appreciate this." 

"I can't be having my best worker uncomfortable now can I?" Kyle laughed, gently pulling away once Baekhyun was ready. "Lay told me everything and I'm so happy to see that you're feeling a lot better, you don't even have your choked marks anymore!" 

Baekhyun's brows furrowed as he watched Kyle excuse himself, he was waiting tables today since Lucy -their waitress- was on maternity leave. They often made jokes about how terrible the timing was with Kyle's promotion and the move uptown, they had taken on numerous college students but they didn't know the difference between the decaffeinated coffee mug from the regular. 

Baekhyun sat himself down on the stool behind the register, his eyes searching for a reflective surface that he could look into without pulling out his phone. He noticed a metal napkin holder within an arm length from his position behind the counter, with a quick stretch of his arm Baekhyun's fingers coiled around the cool metal before drawing it back to his chest. He glanced around the café for a moment before holding the napkin holder up just in front of his neck, the sight that was shining back at him was surprising. His neck had been littered in hand prints of blue and purple the previous day yet today there wasn't a discoloured patch of skin anywhere, it was almost like his body had healed a week ahead of itself. The sudden presence at the counter had Baekhyun dropping the napkin holder onto his lap. 

"Sorry you scared me," he apologised, a hand on his heart as he stared into the eyes of a tall stranger. "welcome to Kyle's café what can I get for you today?" 

"Oh well I'm only waiting for someone," the man explained, a hand on his neck in nerves. Baekhyun watched as the tall man glanced up to the special's board behind him, his lower lip pushed itself in a pout as he decided on what he wanted. "but I guess I'll take the bumble bee package!" 

"One Americano coming right up!" Baekhyun giggled, pushing the button on the register. "In the bumble bee package you can choose a slice of cake, whichever you'd like as well as a honey coated croissant would you be wanting some fruit with that sir?" 

"Sure I'll take the fruit cup!" the deep voice decided with a confident nod of his head, Baekhyun let out a laugh as he typed in the boy's request. "Can I pay with card?" 

"Sure!" Baekhyun nodded, quickly connecting the register with the moveable card machine. He watched with a dropped jaw as the boy pulled out a black card and pressed it against the screen, Baekhyun bit his tongue as he waited for the receipt to print. It decided to take it's time today. "Sorry, I wasn't aware that it's quite slow today." 

"It's alright," the customer offered a gentle smile, his eyes curling as he did so. Baekhyun felt his breath hitch at the sight of the flashing grin directed back at him. "oh you have tattooes?" 

Baekhyun turned his gaze down to his exposed forearm, his brow raised in question. When he noticed the conversation he had with air he nervously chuckled as he shook his head from side to side. "No, actually these-" 

"What the hell is the hold up?" A man shouted from behind the tall man standing in front of Baekhyun, the both of them looking at him in curiousity. "All I'm waiting for is a coffee, what's the holdup?" 

"Are you paying by card?" The stranger with the black cap wondered, looking at the man with narrowed eyes. The impatient dude nodded his head which caused the stranger to laugh. "You're going to be waiting until I get my receipt then, it appears to be slow this morning. Kind of like you without your coffee." 

Baekhyun almost let out a laugh, the man's stern face turning sour as he stared up at the tall man who was waiting patiently for his receipt. "I'll be with you in a moment sir, I have to give this man his receipt as it is company policy." Baekhyun gestured towards one of the signs hanging in front of the counter, the patient giant took a step to the side so that the man behind him could see it clearly. "Just wait another moment." 

"So your tattoos" the boy smiled after the old man finally shut up and waited like everyone else in the line. "they look nice, you like blue ink?" 

"They're not tattoos," Baekhyun explained, feeling his stomach drop once the whirling of the machine took up the air. "would you believe me if I said they appeared out of thin air?" 

The stranger smiled a broad grin as he accepted the slip of paper and pocketing it for later use at the collection point. "I would understand completely." He moved his sleeve and Baekhyun got a glimpse of his writing on the boy's forearm. His eyes widened as his gaze snapped up to look at the stranger who simply winked his eye and made his way towards the collection. 

"Finally!" the old man screamed, taking his position at the front of the line. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, his gaze turning to look where the cute stranger had gone off to. "One black coffee, no whipped cream!" 

"One Americano coming right up" Baekhyun nodded, his movements less energised then when he was speaking to the black cap wearing stranger. "but the card machine is out of order." 

The betrayed look the old man sent in his direction had Baekhyun shrug his shoulders unaffected of the situation, he knew damn well that the card machine was fine just slow but he wasn't going to allow the old man to speak to him in that tone and get away with it. After all it was how Kyle taught him when dealing with impatient coffee drinkers first thing in the morning. 

"You have got to be kidding me!" 

"Are we going to have a problem or do I need to call my manager?" Baekhyun questioned. "I can't magically make it work again-" 

"I'll pay in cash!" the man hissed, pulling out his wallet and looking through the small amount of cash he had. He pulled out a couple bills and placed them on the table before leaving after Baekhyun had given him a normal receipt. The cashier was never so happy to say goodbye to a customer before, Baekhyun just hoped that people would lighten up a bit more as the day went on. 

Chanyeol watched the cute register worker from his spot in the booth just beyond the standard tables in front of the counter, he liked where he had decided to sit since he had a great view of his soulmate as well as the front door

Chanyeol watched the cute register worker from his spot in the booth just beyond the standard tables in front of the counter, he liked where he had decided to sit since he had a great view of his soulmate as well as the front door. 

The prince didn't want to seem creepy in anyway so he had brought some music paper and pens to allow his mind to flow naturally, he would occasionally sent a glance in Baekhyun's nametag slightly glad that the boy was wearing a name tag even though he didn't appear to be wearing the average uniform that the other boys and girls were wearing. He figured that the boy was only a stand in for someone else or was originally supposed to be given the day off until he had gotten a call from their boss begging him to come in for the sudden rush of customers. 

Chanyeol didn't know how long he had spent in that café, writing music while occasionally nibbling on his food as well as sipping away slowly on his coffee. Before he was able to comprehend what just happened, Chanyeol was staring into the eyes of Baekhyun the petite waiter looking into his eyes before taking a glance at his work. 

"You write music when you're not communicating with me through this weird connection-thingy huh?" His tone was teasing, his head tilted to the side with a small lopsided grin on his pretty pink lips. "I'm Baekhyun by the way." 

"Chanyeol," the prince introduced himself, smiling casually as he thought how interesting this whole experience was. "music helped me distance myself from reality awhile ago, I lost touch with it some time back but I've recently got inspiration. Have you ever wanted to do that?" he asked. "Distance yourself from reality."

Baekhyun let a laugh push pass through his lips as he nodded his head. "Yeah, I actually paint or draw whenever I need to let my mind wander. Myths and legends mostly." 

Chanyeol's brow curled at the answer, myths and legends? How interesting. "I'm sorry I just have to ask, what did you think when I first contacted you?" 

Baekhyun's cheeks blared in a bright red shade as his gaze dropped onto the table, he was on his break right now and he figured that since he wasn't going to be needed for another hour he might as well get to know his interesting stranger who was connected to him in some weird way. "I'm not going to lie I freaked out, probably thought that I dreamed the whole thing. But what you said about my drawing was what I needed, I can't really explain it but I'm not creeped about this whole thing." 

"I have to admit you're not what I was expecting.." Chanyeol admitted with a nervous laugh, his hand reaching for his neck again until Baekhyun's soft touch grabbed hold of it. The prince watched as the human pushed up his sleeve, comparing their arms against one another. Chanyeol noticed the fascination flash through the boy's eyes and if he was a vampire he would have struck up a conversation about how rare their communication link was, but Chanyeol could smell him. He could smell the human scent from Baekhyun, it stumped him for a moment until the soft voice once again greeted him unexpectedly. 

"You're not what I was expecting either, since I thought this was all a dream that I couldn't wake up from." Baekhyun rushed to take is hand away, knowing how awkward it had become when he had taken it upon himself to begin the skin-slap. "But at least you're not some evil wizard." 

Chanyeol let out a laugh at the reference Baekhyun was pulling. "Are you connecting our situation to Harry Potter in the Chamber of Secrets?" 

"I like magic" the boy defended himself with an unbothered shrug of his shoulders. "got a problem with that Chanyeol?" 

"Not at all Baekhyun."