NINE

Go against the rules

The laughs that filled the room were so warm that Chanyeol found himself wishing that he had experienced more of it when he was younger, the laughter in his home was long gone when Yixing had disappeared that one night and with it went his Appa's ...


The laughs that filled the room were so warm that Chanyeol found himself wishing that he had experienced more of it when he was younger, the laughter in his home was long gone when Yixing had disappeared that one night and with it went his Appa's smiles. When he thought about it Chanyeol wondered if he would ever see his Appa smile that glamourous grin ever again, he remembers hoping at night that some miracle would come his way but sitting here on the couch with his mate so close and the man he thought he had lost so long ago Chanyeol realised that the miracle had fallen into his lap once he went in search of it. 

"Oh gosh is that the time already?!" Yixing gasped looking towards the clock hanging on the wall directly across from the fireplace, just above the couch which the young prince and his mate sat on. Both of the youngsters turned their gazes towards the clock, their eyes widening at how late into the night it was. Chanyeol met his mate's gaze noticing the saddened irises staring back at him, he felt a lump form in his throat at the thought of leaving him before he was actually able to learn more about him but he had stuff to sort out at home first. 

"I have to get home." he announced out to the silent air, he took a breath before rising from the soft couch cushions a small smile being directed in Yixing's direction begging him to keep quiet. "It was really nice being able to see you again hyung!" 

"You're welcome here whenever you feel like it Chanyeol." his former protector said sternly, making sure the Prince knew of his serenity. Chanyeol dipped his head in an unspoken thank you before he turned towards his mate who would be the hardest to say goodbye to. 

"It was a pleasure to meet the boy who drew such beautiful flowers." 

The words he spoke caused a broad smile to blossom on Baekhyun's pale pink lips, the human rose from the couch and pulled the vampire into a tight embrace. The action made Chanyeol gasp, his lungs filling with ear as his nose took in the scent of his mate. Naturally the vampire melted into the scent which caused him to nuzzle into the human's shoulder, his arms thrown lazily over Baekhyun's waist, he noted how thin he was and made a mental note to bring some food from the castle the next time he visited. 

"I will see you again right?" Baekhyun mumbled into his chest, his voice low so that only he and Chanyeol would hear him. He wasn't aware of the sensitive hearing that the vampires had and therefore he wasn't aware that Yixing had heard him ask such an innocent question, Chanyeol and Lay's eyes met. The protector's lips turned upward as he clutched his heart teasing the couple as they wished each other goodbye, Chanyeol flipped him off without alerting the human embracing him. 

"Of course" Chanyeol nodded. "I'm still expecting your compliance when you agreed to having a date with me." 

Baekhyun let out a laugh as he tightened his grip on the vampire before finally letting his arms fall from the prince's shoulders and onto his shoulder, he pushed himself away and allowed his gaze to meet with Chanyeol's. Before his brain was able to talk himself out of his idea Baekhyun rushed over to the coffee table where he pulled a pen from the holder in the centre, he childishly giggled as he uncapped the marker. Chanyeol tilted his hand and watched helplessly as Baekhyun focused on the palm of his left hand, the vampire saw him begin to write causing tingling to appear on his own palm. 

When he was done Baekhyun capped the pen and tossed it onto the couch, his eyes twinkling as he waited patiently for Chanyeol to view his art work. The vampire chuckled before holding up his hand, his eyes widening at the drawing staring back at him. It was a simple three lined drawing showcasing a sad face which Chanyeol guessed represented the boy's feelings towards him leaving so soon before they could talk alone, seeing how curious his expression made Baekhyun, Chanyeol offered him his hand watching happily as the human gripped his fingers and looked for himself. He was blown away seeing the drawing he had created on his own palm appear on Chanyeol's even if it was fairly simple.  

"That's never going to get old," Baekhyun laughed, gripping Chanyeol's hand tighter as his eyes sparkled up at him. "does this mean that we're connected in some way?" 

"I think you should leave those questions for another time Baekhyun, Chanyeol needs to go home while he still can." Lay lectured, sending his student a sad smile knowing how frustrated Baekhyun would get while his mind wondered endlessly about what could be causing their freakish connection. 

"I'll explain everything in due time Baek-" 

"You're my soulmate, aren't you?" Baekhyun deadpanned, his expression neutral as he stared so hard at Chanyeol who left small under his gaze. He tossed a panicked glance in Yixing's direction, his former protector simply shrugging his shoulders as if to say that he was alone in the matter. 

"Where did you get that idea from?" Chanyeol stumbled through the sentence, already starting to feel his hands clam up with sweat. The lump in his throat only grew as he slowly began to panic, his gaze constantly looking towards Yixing who had found interest in the end of his coffee mug which had been filled with tea since they weren't confident having blood out in front of Baekhyun. 

"Well Lay asked me what I thought of soulmates and he sounded like he was speaking from experience, I figured since he babysat you before he met me we were connected in some way like we were destined to meet or something and this writing on our hands things just proves that!" The human laughed. For a moment Chanyeol figured that Baekhyun was just joking but when the student suddenly stopped laughing and his eyes were wide the vampire figured that he wasn't. "Oh my god, I am aren't I?!" 

"You like myths and legends, now you're living one." Lay chuckled from the armchair, Chanyeol's lips pressing into a thin line as he shot glares in his former protector's direction. "Do you believe that Chanyeol is your soulmate?" 

"Well I've researched about soulmates ever since we talked about it and it got me thinking. Apparently body ink is one of the rarest forms of soulmate communication in comparison to something like the ability of seeing the red string of fate for example, I never knew that there was so many ways of finding a soulmate. Of course when I was researching I didn't expect it to be real but then again it's hard to say it isn't when we're the clear sample of it!" 

"That didn't answer my question~" Yixing teased, his eyebrows wiggling at Chanyeol since his student's back was turned to him. The Prince was glad that his mate was standing in front of him otherwise he was positive that he would be suffocating his old friend, probably even killing him even though he wouldn't have stayed dead long. 

"I read that soulmates feel comfortable in each other's presence and even though we've only just met I feel like I could trust you with my life," Baekhyun ignored his teacher, keeping his focus on the tall boy before him. "I don't see why I wouldn't mind being Chanyeol's soulmate." 

The prince felt all air leave his body as that bright smile appeared on Baekhyun's lips all over again, he had been scared to explain the situation to the human but like Yixing had said Baekhyun was a curious bean. It made Chanyeol feel more confident in himself and his species although he knew telling Baekhyun that he was a vampire would be more of a surprise than being soulmates. 

"I've been waiting to find my soulmate for a long time Baekhyun, I know this is a lot to take in because soulmates aren't constantly being heard about by you guys." Chanyeol admitted honestly, his chest releasing the air within it as he waited for the human to do something out of the ordinary like freak out since the truth had finally been revealed. 

"I'm sorry that I kept you waiting so long.." Baekhyun pouted, reaching his hands up and cupping the vampire's cheeks. Chanyeol's eyes blew wide as he stared into the eyes of the human who was smiling sadly back up at him. "you know I'm only getting used to this own soulmates thing but if you give me a couple days I'm sure that I could wrap my head around it! I just need to research a little more into it, wait Lay have you met your soulmate?" 

"I have," the teacher nodded his head slowly, shifting uncomfortably under his student's gaze. "but due to some unfortunate events I was forced to leave them behind.." 

"I'm sorry that happened and I hope that you two get reunited some day!" Baekhyun cheered, tossing his teacher a small 'fighting' fist before turning back to his soulmate. "Now if you'll allow me to, I'll be happy to walk my soulmate to the door." 

"I'm not going to get used to this," Chanyeol whimpered looking at Yixing for some sort of support however the teacher waved him off like he was nothing but a constantly nagging puppy. "I was expecting some freaking or you looking at me like I was just released from some asylum!"

"Why would I do that when you're perfectly okay with me as your soulmate?" Baekhyun questioned, tilting his head to the side making him look like some confused puppy. The sight made Chanyeol's heart thump loudly against his chest like a gradually increasing drum. "You said that you've been waiting to your soulmate for a long time, I should be apologising to you since I don't know anything about it apart from the various ways a soulmate can find it's other. If you want me to freak out I could although I might not live up to your expectation, I'd probably only have questions for you to answer but I don't see why I should freak out." 

"You said that you love reading myths and legends does that mean that you believe in them?" 

"Some of them" Baekhyun agreed. "I find that many of the legends and myths have some basis for the creation therefore I believe that there is some truth to the tales, sorry am I making you uncomfortable I don't really like talking about my interests since everyone my age finds it creepy." 

This grabbed Chanyeol's attention, the vampire simply made a mental note of the information seeing as how Baekhyun's expression had changed dramatically when his peers were brought up. "Your interests and hobbies are both very interesting Baekhyun, at least I believe so. I ask one thing from you, don't be afraid to talk to me about anything, it could be something as simple as the colour of the evening sky or another myth you came across. You're my soulmate and like you said soulmates should feel comfortable with each other."

"I'll keep that in mind" Baekhyun nodded his head, his teeth taking his lower lip beneath it. "thank you Chanyeol." 

"Now, I really need to get going." The Prince sighed, taking Baekhyun's hands in his own savouring the warmth for a moment more before taking his bag from where it lay for the past eight hours. Baekhyun stayed by his side all the way to the door, Yixing simply following behind them on the journey to his own front door. "I'll be sure to drop by one day soon Yixing." Chanyeol smiled at the male behind Baekhyun the moment he stepped over the threshold. 

"I'll look for it Chanyeol, get home safe!" Yixing smiled, waving his hand in the princes direction before his attention turned to Baekhyun.

"What about me?" the human pouted, both of his hands pressing against his hips as he playfully sent a glare in his soulmate's direction. "What are you going to do about me?" 

"When are you free next?" Chanyeol smiled, resting himself against the doorframe. From the corner of his eye the prince watched as Yixing moved back into the living room, giving both him and his mate some time alone which they haven't had it since earlier in the café. 

"I've been forced to take some time from school so anytime this week, I might be working in the café so-" 

"I'll write to you to find out." Chanyeol offered with a small smile. "Is that okay with you?" 

"You're too good to be true," Baekhyun sighed happily his brown eyes blinking away the stars in his eyes. "are you sure you're even human?" 

Chanyeol's blood ran cold, his mouth gaping like a fish out of water as he attempted to say something, anything. 

"Actually don't answer that question, you're clearly an angel how can someone human look this handsome? Okay now I'm going to shut up because I'm rambling and I'm totally not cute-" 

Chanyeol took a chance and stepped forward, he pressed his lips against Baekhyun's heated forehead and then pulled himself back. His lips were hot after having kissed his soulmate but Baekhyun's bright cheeks had him feeling even hotter, it was only their first day meeting and yet they already felt like they had known each other a lot longer. 

"I find you cute rambling or not, I'm not sure when I'll be free next but I'll definitely see you later this week okay?" Chanyeol asked, nervous that the human would refuse now that they've shared an intimate moment so soon. 

"Definitely, I really hope to hear from you soon." Baekhyun beamed, bouncing up and down on tip of his toes. Chanyeol chuckled as he nodded his head pulling his backpack onto his shoulder, he froze when his shirt's material was gripped and he was forced forward. The pressure on his cheek had Chanyeol momentarily short-circuiting, he was definitely needed to up his game if his mate was a tease. "Write to me once you get home so I know you're safe." 

"You make me feel like you're my husband wishing me well on my journey to my out of town meeting." Chanyeol admitted with a laugh, however his chuckles died in his throat once he noticed that Baekhyun was silent. 

"Well I have to get some practise in now won't I?" Baekhyun teased, tilting his head. "You're my soulmate so doesn't that mean that we're meant to be together forever?" 

"Forever is a long time, would you mind that?" Chanyeol asked, his eyes narrowing as he waited for the latter's answer. He was fishing for information in regards to the latter's insights on the future between the two of them, Chanyeol figured that if he asked about forever whatever Baekhyun's response would be how he would approach  him being a vampire situation. 

"Not at all, you have an interesting aura around you and I want to get to know more about it. If forever is the limit I have to get to know you then I'm looking forward to spending forever with you." 

Chanyeol wanted to kiss him right then and there but he held himself back by pressing his nails into his skin beneath his jean pockets. "Goodnight Baekhyun." 


"Goodnight Chanyeol." 

Baekhyun watched as the vampire continued down the hallway before closing over Lay's door, he smiled on his way back into the living room where his professor was waiting for him. "So how do you feel knowing that soulmates are real?" 

"Like anything else is possible." Baekhyun admitted honestly with a shrug of his shoulders, he collapsed back onto the couch and let out a sigh of content. "I never believed in soulmates but with the universe bringing us both together I can't decline now can I, after all it's not just the body ink that we have in common, we share you too." 

"That you do" Lay agreed dipping his head in a sleepy nod, he let out a yawn before standing up. "when did he say that he would be seeing you next?" 

"I told him that I have a week off school, he didn't ask why but he did say that he'll be busy and that he'll definitely see me at some stage this week. He wants to take me out on a date since our plans today got cancelled." 

"You spend your entire break with him today, did you learn anything about him since you were so openly flirting with him a minute ago." 

"He's a sweet guy and I didn't need the entirety of my break to know that, I know it's quick that I've willingly allowed myself to become this guy's soulmate but there just something in me telling me that it's going to be okay. I probably sound like a crazy person-" 

"Baekhyun your whole life you've talked and adored the strange and what if's and now one's just fallen right in front of you, of course you're going to jump at the offer. You obviously feel some sort of connection emotionally to Chanyeol as well as physically and I don't think that's a bad thing-" 

"You know who he is, that makes me feel like I do too" the human explained with a small smile on his lips. "for years I thought I had no purpose. I thought I was physically incapable of falling in love or being able to have someone want me and now here he is, standing before me with a wide smile and weird elf ears. He tells me I'm his soulmate and I don't feel weirded out by it, I feel like I'm slowly starting to float Lay." 

"You look different, ever since I dropped you off at the café it's like you're a whole other person. It's great don't get me wrong, I love seeing you smile and be happy. I just want you to know to be careful, I had a soulmate too you know and due to unfortunate events I had to leave them and I haven't been the same since. I don't want what happened to me to happen to you Baekhyun." 

"Then I won't let it happen" Baekhyun stated with determination, he looked his hyung in the eye and smiled. "I have a good feeling about you too hyung. Maybe one day soon you'll meet them again." 

"Them?" 

"I didn't know if it was a boy or a girl, I hope for my sake it's a guy because I'm been counting on you being gay since I saw you." 

Lay looked awestruck by Baekhyun's words, he sat himself back down on the armrest of the armchair and stared at the boy laying on his couch. His lips moved to form words but no words were said, he truly looked scandalised. 

"Please tell me it was a guy" Baekhyun begged, his hands forming a praying formation as he waited patiently for his friend's brain to work again. He had a feeling he would be left on window's cleaning mode for another little while, so keeping that in mind Baekhyun rose from the couch and walked towards the kitchen. 

He knew his way around it like he did his own so he knew all the hiding spots Lay had in an attempt to hide his good food from the teenager, Baekhyun merely shook his head in disappointment seeing his favourite brand of cookies hiding behind the microwave. "I'm taking some!" 

"Yeah I am gay" Lay blurted, his brain still trying to keep up with his student even though he was lagging for a good minute or two. "and my soulmate was a man."

"Cute" Baekhyun chimed, happily munching on the double chocolate cookies. "how long were you guys together for?" 

"It's complicated.." Lay sighed, recalling the memories of himself and Suho living together under Wu's castle roof. 

"I'm sorry to hear that, I'll also stop talking about it since it's upsetting to you. Goodnight hyung." 

Lay watched as Baekhyun took the cookie packet with him on his way back through the hallway, the professor staying rooted on his spot on the armchair knowing the boy would be okay going back to his apartment next door. He made a mental note to stop by in the morning and check on how he was doing before going back to work at the school. 

Baekhyun smiled once he was safely back in the warmth of his own apartment, he placed the packet of cookie down on his kitchen island before seeking out a glass to fill with water. When he located one by the sink he watched the water from the tap splash against the bottom of the cup before quickly filling the rest of the glass. Baekhyun shut off the water before it overfilled yet before he was able to bring the rim of the glass to his lips he felt the familiar tingling sensation appear on the wrist of his left hand. 

His eyes scanned over the conversation he and Chanyeol had when they were unintentionally settling up their meeting at the café, his lips curling in a small smile. New words appeared at the base of his wrist just below the faded Beautiful that he had been seeing continuously, 

I made it home safely, sleep well 
Baekhyun.

Let's just say that Baekhyun was able to sleep peacefully that night.