ELEVEN

Go against the rules

"Are you going to talk to me any time soon or should I just wait for the big pearly white gates to get me first?" A familiar voice filled Baekhyun's apartment as the student entered the kitchen hoping for some food to cure his growling stomach, he had spent the past three hours painting a scene of David killing the giant Goliath. It turned out a lot better than he had originally expected it to be, but once he heard the voice Baekhyun's happiness instantly hit rock bottom. 

"Look like I've already told you multiple times before I don't care who you are or how you got here in the first place, but please do me a favour and leave me alone." Baekhyun smiled in the direction the voice was coming from, his eyes were shut closed figuring that if he didn't see the person they would eventually disappear. 

"You've spent the past four days trying to ignore to me sweetheart, just listen what I have to say and that way we can both go on our own way, yes?" 

"No" Baekhyun ordered, shaking his head as his attention the cupboards in his kitchen. He could see the figure move from the corner of his eye and as much as he wanted it gone he didn't want to entertain it any more than he had already. "because I've seen enough paranormal shows to know that if I give you any more attention than I have already you'll decide to stick around." 

"You're sick kiddo," the voice admitted, plain and harsh. Baekhyun froze in his movements while pulling out a box of ready to boil rice, before he could realise what he was doing Baekhyun's head turned towards the voice. Standing in front of him was a blurry looking figure of a woman wearing a off-white tee-shirt and a pair of faded blue jeans, she was smiling sadly at him as she gently waved her hand. "really sick. You shouldn't be able to talk with me but here we are talking as though I'm still alive and with you here in your dull apartment, you're very sick Baekhyun and you don't even know it." 

"If you know that why don't you tell me what's causing my sickness?" Baekhyun's brows narrowed in the centre of his forehead, he internally slapped himself in the face after realising that everything he had been doing the past four days had been thrown out the window carelessly. He had finally looked the apparition in the eye and acknowledged the words she was giving him, which was his first mistake. 

"I'm not allowed to tell you that" the ghost admitted with the shrug of her shoulders. "but you already know that, because you've dealt with my kind before." 

"I have" Baekhyun agreed dipping his head while he crossed his arms over his chest. "therefore I know that you must have something extremely important to tell me since you've been pestering me the past couple days. Just for the record, no I can't help find out who killed you or help find a lost family member." 

"Great," The ghost cheered, her eyes crinkling as she made her way into Baekhyun's living room the student following her with his eyes. This was definitely going to be a long day. "then I guess my visit here will be a lot shorter than I originally thought!" 

"Fantastic!" Baekhyun bellowed throwing his hands up in the air happily, he walked into the living room and set himself down on the couch readying himself to listen to the possible endless statements this single apparition had within her ghost body. "Can you tell me everything you have to tell before my neighbour comes home? I don't want to tell him that I'm able to communicate with the dead because I like to think that he views me as a normal Korean teenager."

"Which you are anything but." the woman chuckled, sending the human boy a quick wink before standing up from the couch and moving around the room. "Anyway, I need to tell you that your life is in danger-" 

"Which I assumed since you recently told me that I had a secret illness that I wasn't aware about." 

"You haven't had a doctor's appointment in over a decade, what else can you expect?!" The woman snapped, looking at Baekhyun like the teenager had just grown three heads which was ironic since he didn't seem fazed by the fact he was talking to a ghost.  

"Health care is overrated anyway," the teenager easily dismissed the topic of conversation with a wave of his hand, he only realised then that he was still clutching the box of rice. He placed it down onto the coffee table that had become a barrier between himself and the ghost, whose facial expression turned neutral at his words. "now that you've done your job will you leave me alone?" 

"I didn't even realise that you could see me when I first arrived here kiddo, I was following someone who means a lot to me and then my curiosity spiked when I ran into you on your way out of the café three days ago, you looked right at me like I was still alive." 

Baekhyun's head tumbled into his hands, a loud groan taking up the air. "It's been awhile since I've seen someone whose life has ended, you caught me by surprise okay?" 

The ghost smiled as she nodded her head and took a deep breath. "I want to assure you that I'm not going to cause you harm, as you have said you've already dealt with ghosts before so this isn't a large shock to you which I'm thankful for." 

Baekhyun found himself smiling slightly once he allowed his head to look up at the ghost standing in the middle of his living-room, she didn't look like someone he should fear and by judging her by her words alone Baekhyun figured that she was generally worried about him. "So you've come to warn me, right?" 

"Yes." the ghost confirmed with a curt nod, her wispy hair hugging her face as her expression turned serious again. "Like I've said your life is in danger, the sickness you have will be cured if you were continue eating as healthy as you have these past couple days. If not then the process of you getting better from it will extend and you may not be able to bounce back from it as easily as you have with the minor injuries you received from your school bullies-" 

"You know about them?" 

"I know a lot about you Byun Baekhyun" the admitted honestly, her eyes crinkled but the boy was beyond relieved to see that they didn't hold any mischief. "I know you're a smart boy and great things will happen to you in time, as long as you have an opened mind and heart to all possibilities."

Her words held strong meaning behind them but they just seemed to be muddled in Baekhyun's mind, he didn't understand completely but he definitely made a mental note of them. He took a deep breath and felt his hands clam together on his lap, he brushed them against his painting jeans and set his eyes on the grey ones staring back at him. "Anything else?" 

"A darkness is brewing and has been for quite some time stretching back to the time where I was still alive and kicking, it will come for you and attempt to destroy you-" 

"Attempt to destroy me?" Baekhyun had to bite his lower lip from releasing the bubbling laugh brewing in his stomach. "I've lived in an orphanage my entire life, I've grown up without parents or a family, I've gotten bullied almost every day in high school, I have a life threatening illness and now you're telling me that darkness is coming for me? I apologise for laughing but seriously? I'm not going to let something as simple as a growing darkness destroy me after everything that I've already been through, I appreciate the warning lady but you haven't scared me. I'll welcome the darkness if it is coming after me because I don't plan on joining you so soon." 

Baekhyun watched in confusion as the ghost before him chuckled and blinked at him with eyes showing so much affection it was slightly unnerving. "You didn't even wait for me to finish, you had already heard everything you needed to and that still didn't change your mind. I'm pretty sure that I said 'attempt' which doesn't completely say that it will, you're a strong boy kiddo. I'm going to be happy when you get welcomed into our family." 

"What?" Baekhyun's eyes went wide, did he just hear clearly. "When I get welcomed into your family, what do you mean by that?!" 

"You're asking the wrong questions," the ghost laughed, taking a seat on the armchair since Baekhyun had taken rest on his sofa. "I'm sorry to say but you will have to go through a bit more pain before you are finally able to live the life you want." 

"Will I be able to?" Baekhyun's voice cracked, his emotions finally getting the better of him. He didn't understand why he felt so comforted by the lady in front of him, even the fact that she was ghost seemed to bother him as much as it would have with anyone else. "I know that I appear strong but it's so exhausting ..." 

"Oh kiddo," the ghost gasped, standing from the armchair and moving closer to Baekhyun. She settled down on the coffee table just in front of him, her presence causing one of the many pen filled cups he had to move ever so slightly along the glass. "I would hug you if I could but we both know that wouldn't help." 

Baekhyun let out a laugh as he nodded his head, he vaguely remembered one time when a ghost had wrapped their arms around him years ago after a nightmare he had. Even though he never communicated or saw their face it was comforting until the shivers running down his body forced him to pull away as the chills got the better of him. "Thank you for offering though." 

"If you weren't strong, then you wouldn't be here." the ghost chuckled, gently placing her hand on Baekhyun's jean covered knee. He could faintly feel the pressure behind her ghostly hand and thankfully she had put her hand on something covered with material because Baekhyun was sure if his skin was bare, he would be getting shivers all over again. "Let me give you some advice from an ancient soul, you haven't come this far to only come this far there will always be something better for you around the corner you just have to wait for it and embrace every opportunity, because if you don't then that's when you start regretting things in life." 

"This is the first time I'm getting advice from someone whose dead, thank you for your advice although I don't think I could call you ancient you don't look any older than thirty." Baekhyun admitted honestly, his brows furrowing together when the ghost burst into laughing fits. 

"Oh honey you have no idea although I will happily accept your compliment. I'm a lot older than you think, think of any age and multiply it by a hundred and you still won't be close." She winked before lifting her hand from his thigh, Baekhyun found himself missing the touch. "You'll understand everything soon, I have no doubt that your large brain will figure it out before they tell it to you themselves." 

"I figured they were hiding stuff from me" Baekhyun huffed, crossing his arms over his chest a pout forming on his lips as he blinked up at the ghost. "you just confirmed that!" 

"I'm surprised you even know who I'm talking about!" the ghost laughed although her shock was quite obvious. "This just proves to me that you're going to be an amazing addition to the family, I look forward to seeing you again soon Byun Baekhyun." 

"I hope not!" the boy shouted after the ghost as she stood up from her place on the coffee table and made her way towards the window overlooking the street below Baekhyun's apartment complex. "I hope I never have to see your ectoplasm ever again!" 

"You won't be joining me here Baekhyun" the ghost cackled, her head being thrown back between her shoulders. Her arms wrapped around her torso like she would have done when she was still alive, her laughter drawing a grin on the boy's lips. She eventually calmed down and wiped away a fake tear for good measure, she sent him one last look before whispering. "I'll only come to visit you from time to time since I'm sure you'll have more than enough questions to ask." 

"I have just one more before you go," he called out, rushing out of his spot on the couch so he could stand before the slightly smaller ghost before him. She blinked up at him in confusion, he guessed that her eyes were brown before she passed since they were darker grey than he was used to seeing with ghosts. "I want to know your name so that I can communicate with you properly when you return." 

"This coming from the boy who didn't want anything to do with me not even ten minutes ago" she chuckled, but after noticing how desperate the boy looked she sighed. "I haven't used my real name in years but if you really must address me as a name-" 

"I can't call you Ms Ghost forever now can I?" he laughed. 

"I suppose not" she chuckled. "you can call me Nana." 

Chanyeol strolled out of his bedroom with a bright smile on his face, his eyes locked on his wrist where he had been communicating with Baekhyun for the past couple days

Chanyeol strolled out of his bedroom with a bright smile on his face, his eyes locked on his wrist where he had been communicating with Baekhyun for the past couple days. It had been exactly four days since they've met and the prince really hoped that he would able to keep his promise and take his mate out on that date before the end of the week. He had a surprise for the boy for the following week which may appear to be a little crazy but Chanyeol really hoped that Baekhyun wouldn't be too freaked out about it, considering it was quite late notice but being a vampire things just came easily to him. 

"Oh prince Chanyeol!" One of the chamber maids gasped, her eyes going wide as she stared into the eyes of the prince who rose a brow at her appearance. She was dressed in a bedsheet rather than her usual castle issued uniform but that wasn't what surprised Chanyeol, the tear stains coating her cheeks forced red flags to pop up in his mind. "I must apologise for my attire, I didn't expect you to be here. I thought you would be in your private classes with Minho-oppa." 

"My classes were cancelled for today since my father had some business to attend to in China and he took Minho with him, I'm surprised you haven't heard since it was all Kyungsoo could talk about since they left early this morning.." Chanyeol's brows met in the centre of his forehead, he knew he was rambling but he didn't want the chamber-maid to be any more scared than she already seemed to be. "Olivia do you want to tell me what happened?" 

"I think it best if I refuse your majesty" Olivia stated with a confident nod although Chanyeol could see the tears pool in her eyes, he also picked up on her voice crackles. "I'm going to run myself a bath in the servant quarters so if you would please excuse me-" 

"Find Mary" Chanyeol commanded, interrupting the girl mid-speech. "she'll aid you in whatever it is you need, she has more experience in this department than anyone else in this household. You will feel safe with her I can promise you that." Chanyeol swore being sure to meet the girl's eye contact. 

"I will, thank you your majesty." with a quick bow of her head Olivia her heel and rushed out of the hallway, Chanyeol only having to blink and she was long gone. 

The Prince felt rage course through his veins since that wasn't the first time he had the unfortunate experience of meeting a half- shaking chambermaid outside his bedroom, Clara instantly came to mind and the prince took a moment to clear his mind of his close friend who now lay within a grave on the soil below the hill. 

Clara took care of Chanyeol whenever Suho and Katherine found themselves too busy to attend to their children, which wasn't very often but occasionally enough for the young prince to develop a friendship with the chambermaid. Her smile often stopped Jongin from crying which was to be expected at how young the bastard son of the king was at the time. As they both grew older Clara found herself returning to her old household duties however she would always make time for the half-brothers whenever they came looking to play, eventually time passed and Chanyeol started taking an interest in what was happening in the castle under Kris' reign. He had turned to the one person he knew he could trust and without hesitation she had placed herself forward to find out what was happening within the castle, the king eventually unearthed her plan yet the chambermaid stayed loyal and never revealed who she was giving the information she learned to. Chanyeol only wished she had when his father had claimed that she had been 'taken care of'. 

It was made aware quite soon after that the king had in fact known that the chambermaid wasn't a traitor and was simply giving the information to his son who was entitled to it since he was to be the future king, however regardless of these facts he still ordered for her life. When Chanyeol had found out that she had been murdered like a traitor he was crushed but when the truth came to light he had bee furious and now seeing Olivia in the position he had once seen Clara, Chanyeol couldn't help but want to protect her. 

The anger and frustration bubbled and he knew that the bottle he had been keeping it was close to breaking but seeing as how his father wasn't going to be back at the castle for another week Chanyeol knew he needed to calm down. It was hard trying to calm himself down from something that has been gradually increasing and getting stronger as the days roll into one, but then a tingling sensation took up his arm. 

His mate was writing to him. 

Baekhyun was communicating with him like he had the past couple days, he had finally replied to him after some time had passed. The words that were written into Chanyeol's forearm had him choking back his own tears, his heart instantly filled with love and his stomach leaped in excitement. Whatever anger or resentment he was feeling before was immediately washed away when Baekhyun made himself present in his life again, the thought put a wide grin on the prince's lips. Even though Baekhyun didn't know what he was, Chanyeol had this feeling that his mate would always be there for him whenever he needed him. 

I don't have any work today.. Are you perhaps free for a catch up?

Before he could even think about producing the pen he had began to travel around with from his pocket, Chanyeol felt another sensation take up just below the first one. 

If you're not I completely understand! I don't want to disturb your hard work!! 

Chanyeol let out a soft breath once he finally pulled out his black inked pen, since Baekhyun loved writing with blue Chanyeol found himself loving the way their colours complimented each other. He rolled up his sleeve a little more so he had a little more work space, his lips curled up into a grin as he wrote his response finding their communication method better than letters or mobile devices. 

Kyle's café at four? Let me bring you out on that date ;) 

Chanyeol felt the wind get knocked right out of his chest when he watched his mate enter the café looking adorable in his oversized sweater and skin-tight jeans, if Chanyeol didn't have any self-control he would have dragged the boy somewhere for ...

Chanyeol felt the wind get knocked right out of his chest when he watched his mate enter the café looking adorable in his oversized sweater and skin-tight jeans, if Chanyeol didn't have any self-control he would have dragged the boy somewhere for cuddles and possibly never held him go. 

Baekhyun sent him a bright smile from the counter where he was going to order a cup of coffee before they were to set off on the date Chanyeol rushed to put together, it gave the prince some time to calm his nerves. His fingers messed around with the ring on his finger, he had been so preoccupied with leaving the castle quickly that he had almost forgot it. What a disaster that would have been! 

"Hey you" Baekhyun's sweet voice filled the air, forcing Chanyeol to look up from the family heirloom and onto the boy who was grinning down at him with the most prettiest blush covering his cheeks. "long time no see." 

Chanyeol chuckled as Baekhyun slipped into the booth, plopping himself across from the vampire who was watching him intently. "How have you been, have you been painting?" 

"I have actually" Baekhyun smiled, he pulled the sleeves of his sweater up showcasing the crusted pain that was still stuck to the back of his palms. "I was actually wondering if you had any on yours since I thought maybe our body art communication thingy worked with paint too!" Chanyeol found himself smiling as he glanced down at his own hands, they didn't have any paint on them. "Well that's a shame, I guess it only works with ink! Hey do you think if I got a tattoo you would get it too?" 

"That I have absolutely no idea about." Chanyeol admitted, letting a chuckle fall from his lips as he stretched his hand across the table. His body quietly sighing in contentment when their fingers interlocked on the table, Baekhyun ran his thumb across Chanyeol's knuckles. It was like all the energy had slipped out of the prince since his head rested against the wood, his breathing evening out as he finally felt safe. 

"You look like you've had quite the day huh?" Baekhyun's voice was worried but his eyes still shone with calmness when Chanyeol turned his head to look at them. The prince didn't need to say anything, Baekhyun just knew and thus nodded his head. "Let's have fun tonight, let me just get some coffee then I'll be all yours!" 

"I like the sound of that... " Chanyeol admitted with a smile, Baekhyun's lips curling upwards as his gaze fell on their laced fingers. "I've missed you." 

"Me too." Baekhyun whispered, reaching forward with his other hand and running it through the prince's hair. Chanyeol's heart melted at the touch, having half expected Baekhyun to be nervous to touch him or too anxious to hold conversation. "I'm glad that you agreed to come see me today." 

"I am too, I needed to see you." Chanyeol didn't know why but he felt like he could talk to his mate about all of his problems, he knew he couldn't since Baekhyun didn't know everything about him and their world but in time he figured that the barrier he had to keep up would finally be brought down. 

"I looked so tense when I came in" Baekhyun's voice remained soft even after the barista had come to give him his drink, the boy didn't seem to recognize the worker but still he thanked her before he turned back to look at Chanyeol. "you seem so relaxed now though." 

"I've been under a lot of stress these past couple days, I've been finding myself getting more frustrated and angry over things that I would have looked past years ago. I feel like my patience with time is running low and I don't know what to do, so when I saw that you were free and my afternoon was clear I jumped at the idea of seeing you again." 

His words weren't supposed to make Baekhyun blush, but some how they managed to. The boy looked down at their hands hoping to hide his embarrassment from his mate but failed miserably. 

"I don't think I'd mind being your distraction" Baekhyun giggled, sending the boy sitting across from him a quick wink. "I think it would be a great honor. That's only if you would allow me to be, after all isn't that what a mate is supposed to do? Help their other half when they're feeling low and glum?" 

"You really have researched it like you said you were going to, didn't you?" 

Baekhyun's lips formed a line for a spilt second before he muttered out a quick "yes." 

Chanyeol released a chuckle before sliding out of the booth, his fingers still remained linked with Baekhyun's but he wasn't going to pull him out of the booth so harshly. "You're so cute."

Another wave of red attacking his mate's cute cheeks. 

Oh yes Chanyeol could definitely get used to this. 

"I wanted to make you feel happy today but it appears that you've taken control away from me." 

"Then let me take your mind off all those hardships you have to face" Baekhyun's voice was teasing as he stood up right against Chanyeol's chest, the vampire gulping at the devilish smirk appearing on the corner of his mate's lips. "you're going to regret asking me out today!" 

"I don't think that's going to be possible." he found himself stating, he had just enough time to grab Baekhyun's coffee before the latter pulled him from the café's warm walls. "Where are you taking me?" 

"On an adventure!" Baekhyun cheekily winked, turning his head back to the front rather than staring back at the giant he was pulling behind him by his hand. "Don't tell me that you're scared!" 

"Never!" Chanyeol chimed with confidence, his lips parting to expose his bright teeth. Baekhyun sent him a glance before nodding in excitement. 

"Good because we would have a problem if you had of been!"