TWENTY ONE

Go against the rules

A tall slim figure stood at the ledge, gazing out into the storm-stricken sky

A tall slim figure stood at the ledge, gazing out into the storm-stricken sky. The roar of the heavy winds sent shivers down the figure's spine forcing them to pull the blanket draped over their shoulders tighter against their body. It had been a rough month-long phenomenon, raging from countless power outs and numerous high speed wind accidents. If the figure didn't know any better, they would have realized that perhaps mother nature was trying to tell them something.

"Darling?" A man's voice pulled the figure away from the ledge, a sudden gust blowing the hood of the cape back.

Beautiful black curls bounced from the darken hood, revealing a pale face and tired eyes. A woman so fragile stood by the ledge, her knuckles white from her desperate attempt of keeping warm. Upon seeing the face of her lover, her lips curled upwards as she rushed to be in his embrace.

They shared a gentle kiss, the woman thankful to be in his presence after a long journey had kept them apart.

"Darling," she cried once her lips were freed. "I've missed you."

"What explanation can you give for standing so close to a storm?" he chuckled, tracing her cheek with the pad of his thumb. "Has my leave of absence driven you insane, my love?"

A playful slap to the chest had the embracing couple giggling into each other's space.

"No amount of space between us will ever force me into insanity, for I am quite strong headed." The woman claimed, standing tall against her lover's frame. The man smiled as he held her tighter, bringing their foreheads together.

"What do you say about your strange behavior, my love?" the man demanded, gazing into his lover's eyes in hopes of finding reason for his anguish. "Was there a fleeting moment in your mind that might have forced you to cast yourself from the safety of our balcony?"

"Not even a glimmer." she reassured her lover, pulling him close. "Tell me, any word from the king?"

"None yet my darling," her husband shook his head. "It appears that we are not necessary just yet."

"I will continue to pray that he seeks others for his cause, though there is no clear sin. I fear that we are merely beginning this long journey."

"Speak no more of the king," the man spoke against her lips. "I would like to have my mind clear when I my wife to bed tonight."

The woman released a shriek as she was pulled upward into a tight embrace, her hands rushing to clamp around her husband's shoulders. "Donghae please, we are expected for dinner!"

"I'm sure they'll understand," Donghae chuckled, finally being able to kiss his wife. "a man who has spent a month away from his wife's bedside must retake his claim."

"Did you truly suspect that I would bring another to my bed when my heart's owner was away on business? How low do you think of me?!"

"Jessica, darling I am merely teasing you. I have no cloud in my mind that suggests you would stray from our marriage vows."

"Good" the woman hushed him with a kiss, her body laid out comfortably on the silk bed sheets. "now remind me again what it's like to have a man in my bed."

"As you wish madam."

 

The press of the silk sheets to his back had Baekhyun's mouth unknowingly let out a low moan of content, his entire body stretching out over the mattress and he made himself comfortable

The press of the silk sheets to his back had Baekhyun's mouth unknowingly let out a low moan of content, his entire body stretching out over the mattress and he made himself comfortable. Chanyeol, who had just come from the shower watched his boyfriend stretch out against the mattress like a young kitten, a long day's work clearly having taken a toll on him.

Today marked the second day of their weekend escapade, with the early hours of Sunday morning creeping up on them Chanyeol felt dread seeping into his bones when he realised that the honeymoon-isk retreat was almost over. In twenty-seven hours they would be back to the musty classroom, mountains of homework.

They'd be back in reality.

"They're telling me to stop you from pouting." Baekhyun announced suddenly, making Chanyeol jump in his spot by the doorframe. "Apparently you're too young a vampire to have to worry about wrinkles. Frankly, I didn't know that vampires have to worry about wrinkles."

"Someone's here?" Chanyeol found himself glancing around the room, his body sprinkling in goosebumps.

"Someone's always there, I just choose to ignore them." Baekhyun stated, pushing himself up from his place beneath the covers. Chanyeol watched as his boyfriend's eyes focused on the air just in front of the window overlooking the backyard, he sat himself down at the end of the bed and turned his attention there too.

"Are they friendly?"

"Not always," Baekhyun admitted, brows furrowing in the centre of his head. Chanyeol realised that he must have interrupted the ghost's words which forced Baekhyun to divide his attention, perhaps he hadn't fully grasped Baekhyun's ability just yet. "And you're absolutely sure?"

"About what?" Chanyeol wondered, slightly confused.

Oh right.

The ghost.

"Is she okay?"

"I should probably step outside right?" Chanyeol gestured to the door but Baekhyun quickly moved to grab his hand, preventing him from going anywhere.

"Will it be safe for him to travel?"

"Baekhyun I really think that I should-"

"Shut up." his mate hissed, slapping him on the back of his hand.

Yep. This was definitely going to take some time getting used to.

"Yeah okay I'll let him know, I'll speak to you later then?"

Chanyeol perked up, was the ghost leaving? Did this mean that he had Baekhyun back to himself now?

A second later Baekhyun turned to look at him, though the glint in his eye was no longer there. Instead he looked doubtful, like he was trying to find the right words to say. The look in his eyes caused something in Chanyeol's stomach to stiffen, whatever Baekhyun had to say it clearly wasn't good.

"What is it?" he questioned, moving closer to his mate whose grip had increased on his hand.

"I don't understand it all," Baekhyun began, taking a deep breath. "but I'm supposed to tell you that Jongin just received a phone call."

"Is he alright?" Chanyeol wondered, his brows furrowing. So his brother received a phone call, what was so ghostly about that?

"He's on his way here," Baekhyun explained, eyes wandering. "the ghost said that the message was from some guy named Sehun?"

Chanyeol felt his blood run cold, obviously something had happened that couldn't have been written in a letter. Baekhyun's grip on his hand grew tighter, anchoring though not painful.

"We should get dressed." Baekhyun offered, sliding himself from the bed and allowing himself to stand up. When Chanyeol didn't show any signs of movement, the human pulled at his hand until he too was standing. "Kyungsoo is with him, he's going to look after me."

"Where-" his voice cracked. "Where is my phone?"

"I think you might have left it in the kitchen." Baekhyun offered him a small smile, his thumb tracing the knuckles of Chanyeol's palm. "I'm going to get dressed so I'm suitable for when Kyung shows up, maybe you should give Jongin a call?"

"Yeah right," the vampire nodded his head, blinking back the tears in his eyes. "I should do that."

"Hey," Baekhyun called after him, preventing him from speeding through the house. "it's going to be okay."

He waited until Baekhyun had made his way into the bathroom before he sped towards the kitchen, the noise deaf to his ears as he quickly located his phone and turned it on. The screen held multiple notifications, equally distributed from his brother and Kyungsoo. There were various missed calls and even fewer text messages but from the few that he had glanced at Chanyeol realised that the content of Sehun's phone call was in regards to Luhan, Sehun's mate.

"Chanyeol there you are!" Jongin sounded breathless, like he had spent the last three hours running across the country. "I've been trying to get a hold of you!"

"I was preoccupied with Baekhyun," that shouldn't be an excuse. "what happened?"

"It's about Luhan..." Jongin sighed, it sounded like the first breath he had taken in awhile. "It's not looking good for him. Sehun called about an hour ago and he's in a bad way, he thinks Luhan isn't going to make it."

"What about Sky?"

"He's been speaking to her every afternoon, and said there was no change in brain activity. She seems stable right now but Lu... it's getting concerning now."

"What's the plan?"

"Well I assumed that once you heard the news you would want to book a flight straight away, so I took the liberty and booked us a flight out in the next few hours."

"Did you say anything to Appa?"

"I didn't have the chance, the only person I spoke to was Eomma and that was in passing since she wanted to know why I was stealing the car so late at night without the driver."

Despite the situation Chanyeol still couldn't stop himself from cracking up at the thought of Jongin driving, his younger brother was many things but a driver wasn't one of them.

"I then had to explain to Kyung why I needed him to drive to you so that Baekhyun wouldn't be completely freaked out when I came to collect you."

"What's your excuse?" Chanyeol wondered, allowing himself to be assumed in the fact that his brother didn't know that Baekhyun already guessed their abilities.

"I took a cab and left it in the village while I came to get you, Kyungsoo will be there in about an hour to keep him company or take him home. Although knowing how Kyungsoo drives when there are barely any cars on the road at night, it would be fair to say he could arrive twenty minutes after we leave." Chanyeol could envision his brother shrugging his shoulders, seemingly unbothered by the fact his mate was such a careless driver.

"How far away are you?"

"Depends on how much time you need to make an excuse." Jongin's voice was level now, like he had stopped his run to a mild walk. "I can be in front of the door in two seconds or ten minutes."

"Give me five."

"Uh I hate the fact he's human!" Jongin grunted but Chanyeol wouldn't allow himself to hear anymore. He simply ended the call, but before he could turn back to find Baekhyun his brother managed to send a text message.

Dickhead! Don't hang up on me when I'm still talking! Rude! I'll call Kyungsoo and find out where he is while I wait, you have five minutes!!

"Baek?"

"Yeah?"

Chanyeol would like to think that he was quite manly, strong in his foundation, unafraid of many things.

However, the sudden sight of his boyfriend (who was by no means a vampire) did things to his heart that Chanyeol wasn't proud of, especially when said things caused him to release a shout so high it would be confused with a terrified female.

"Not so nice when it happens to you is it?" the human wondered, blinking innocently up at his boyfriend who could only glare in response. "So come on, spit it out! What's the situation?"

"Jongin is going to say that he got a cab out here since he highly doubts that Kyungsoo will make it in time-"

"Because he ran here right?" Baekhyun questioned, attempting to use his newly acquired vampire knowledge. "Plus since he's taking you that would mean that Kyungsoo was driving here so that they wouldn't give me a reason to doubt the kind of people you are!"

"I really want to kiss your brain, do you know that?"

"I'm going to keep my brain in my skull and have you kiss my lips instead, that okay?" Baekhyun giggled, grabbing his boyfriend by his shirt and pulling him down so their lips could touch.

Chanyeol savoured the taste of his mate's lips, since he didn't know how long he would be gone. He allowed himself to wrap his arms around the human's waist and pull him flush against his abdomen, his lips curling at the sound of Baekhyun's pleasured groan. They released after a short while.

"Please be careful while I'm away." Chanyeol pleaded, eyes wide and begging.

Baekhyun ran the pad of his thumbs against his mate's cheeks, his tongue sweeping against his lip on instinct. "Kyungsoo is going to look after me, and I'll have Yixing who taught you everything you know about fighting so I should be well cared for. Just don't be gone too long okay? I don't want to have grown any grey hairs by the time you get back."

"I'm going to have my phone with me every minute of every day and-"

Chanyeol happily allowed himself to be shut up by Baekhyun's lips. The human released a giggle when the vampire tried to pull him back once the peck was finished. "You know that we don't need phones, all I need is a pen."

"Then I will carry one too." Chanyeol agreed, pressing his lips against Baekhyun's forehead. He pulled back with a sigh, eyes already finding the door.

Even though he knew that he was to be expecting Jongin, Baekhyun still jumped at the harsh banging that had delivered itself to the door of the Hanok


Even though he knew that he was to be expecting Jongin, Baekhyun still jumped at the harsh banging that had delivered itself to the door of the Hanok. Chanyeol gestured towards the door with his head and without blinking speed he had disappeared back into the bedroom of the Hanok, no doubt to pack.

Baekhyun rushed towards the door, laughing to himself that he could feel every muscle in his body move to keep up with his legs. It took him a little longer to get places than it did for Chanyeol but Baekhyun still found the comparison between them quite cute.

When his fingers curled around the door handle he quickly shook himself into action, he allowed his eyelids to droop and his body to slump. He pulled open the door and came face to face with Jongin who -despite having ran all the way from Seoul- didn't look to be in some kind of emergency.

Baekhyun almost broke character when he saw how truly sorry Jongin looked to have to disturb him and Chanyeol like this, especially with it being so late into the night or was it more early in the morning? Baekhyun didn't want to know.

"Oh Baek, I'm so sorry about all this!" Jongin rushed to apologise, the boy bending over himself to apologise formally.

Baekhyun pinched himself to remind him that everything happening in front of him right now wasn't a dream. "Woah Jongin it's okay, no need to apologise."

"It's just that family matters-"

"Honestly Jongin it's okay, you don't need to explain right now. You and Chanyeol can do that when you come back home, do I need to get a bag or anything?"

"Oh no don't worry about that, Kyungsoo is on his way right now and he'll stay with you tonight and then you two can head back to Seoul in the morning."

"That's a nice offer but I doubt I'll be sleeping much now," Baekhyun attempted to joke but he found himself telling the truth.

Now that Chanyeol was leaving for an unforeseeable amount of time Baekhyun just knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep well knowing that he wasn't at home or near him. Although that must be a consequence of having a soulmate.

"Is Kyungsoo with you or-?"

"Oh no I got a cab here so Kyung should be here soon-"

A loud honk pulled the duo from their conversation, Jongin turned to look down the alley while Baekhyun tiptoed so he could peer over Jongin's head. Kyungsoo had rolled down the window of a black Mercedes Baekhyun hadn't had the opportunity of seeing before, he waved at them before jumping out of the vehicle.

"We shouldn't be gone for too long.." Chanyeol spoke, looking down at his mate who bit back the curses of his surprise appearance. "please keep in contact with me-"

"I will." Baekhyun spoke with a stern tone, his eyes gentle. "Now will you go? I'll be fine."

"Kyung please-" Chanyeol turned to look at the ravenette who had just arrived onto the porch.

"I'll take good care of him, Chanyeol, I promise."

Baekhyun gently coaxed him out of the Hanok, Kyungsoo quickly slipping into his place a second later. The two of them watched as their mates began their journey down the path, occasionally looking over their shoulders. Eventually the pain of leaving behind their soulmates hit and they stopped, Kyungsoo closing the door so that they could run to their heart's content without Baekhyun catching them.

Now that the two of them were alone, Baekhyun felt more awake than ever. "Care for some hot chocolate?" he wondered, taking a glance at his friend who also seemed to have been woken up from the news.

Baekhyun giggled when Kyungsoo's shoulder's dropped, his head dipping in response to the human's question. Hot chocolate was the perfect remedy for the start of mateless season.