Prologue

Go against the rules

"Park Chanyeol get your flat bat over here now!" A tall brown haired man yelled off the top of his lungs. The rebel son of the man below continued to fly higher in adorable toddler rage. 

"I don't understand why you won't let me go and find my mate!" He screeched back down, his wings spread out against the pitch black sky of the night. 

"Destiny will come and bring him to you, you must be patient." Kris called up to his son with a small smile on his lips. 

"I've been waiting for so long already," the prince cried, his small beady black eyes staring up at his father as he landed softly in the palm of his hand. "I've already begun to feel him, he's alive father!" 

Kris released a chuckle before rubbing the fur of his son's bat form tenderly. "I know you have, but your father and I waited for destiny to strike us Chanyeol. So should you.. after all being the Prince of Darkness you should at least keep to one of our traditional rules." 

"I don't even understand why we have this rule," the young Prince pouted, his little bat eyes staring up at his father in dissapproval. "It's stupid. What were to happen if for some reason I don't meet him and he gets into an accident, what on earth would I do then?" 

"We have the rules to protect us. The rules are linked to traditions that go back thousands of years son, we must understand them as well as fulfil them." 

"And if my mate is a human?" Chanyeol wondered, his little bat head tilting curiously to the left.

Kris' shoulders rose as an uncomfortable look flashed through his eyes, yet he didn't allow the anger within him to come to the surface. The prince -his son- was only four years old, of course the young boy would ask such questions since he couldn't have know any better. 

"That won't happen," the king explained in a breath. "you are a vampire prince and there is no way that your mate could be a mortal." 

Chanyeol nodded in understanding before changing back into the handsome boy his parents often got praised for. Many of his father's subjects had taken a liking to the young prince, often pouring out their affection through various wedding proposals directed at the young prince and one of their own children. However, Chanyeol's Appa Suho had turned them all down. He was determined that by the time Chanyeol e hundred and eighteen he would have already found his mate. Unlike himself, Suho wished his son happiness with a mate chosen by natural selection rather than an arranged marriage. 

"Now off to bed with you, it's your first day of school tomorrow and you need to have your rest before then." The king smiled, setting his child back onto the ground. 

"I shall excort the prince to his chambers your majesty," Yixing announced, walking cautiously into the room and towards the young vampire prince. Chanyeol's smile grew wider at the sight of his sworn protector, his arms spreading wide as he allowed himself to be lifted into the arms of his guardian. "rest well." 

"Where is my husband?" Kris wondered, stopping the guard in his steps. 

"In the kitchen preparing a late meal for you, he's worried about your health your majesty." Yixing answered attemping to keep his voice level as the prince nuzzled into his neck for comfort. 

"On your way to Chanyeol's chambers tell him that I have some business to take care of in the town on the bottom of the hill, there is supposed to be a rebel uprising tonight and I must see if the rumours are true. I will return by dawn-" 

"Your majesty with all due respect don't you think that you should stay and allow the guards to attend to their duties alone? You said it yourself, it's prince Chanyeol's first day of school tomorrow. Won't you rest as well?" 

"Yixing," the king sighed rubbing his face as the anger and frustated bubbled. "I don't think I need a guard telling me how to run my life. I will be home in time for Chanyeol's first day of school, as for resting... when you're a king you don't have time to rest, you won't understand even if I did explain it to you." 

"My apologises your majesty, I'll inform the Queen right away." Yixing bowed his head and walked out the room, the young prince held securely in his arms. He ran his fingers through the young prince's hair, a small smile developing on his face as he turned down the corridor in the direction of the kitchen.