Secret Dates

Secret Snippets

It was a clear sunny Tuesday morning when two girls were seen entering the huge theme park. It was weekday and not so many people had the luxury to spend their day playing or having a date. The older girl stepped inside the park and immediately shouted with joy, and the younger girl, embarrased by her friend, reluctantly followed her friend.

"It's the theme park!" The older girl, wearing a baseball hat and white Tshirt and bright blue jeans shouted again. "I've been wanting to come here for so long!"

"Can you keep it down, unnie?" The younger girl said. "People are staring!"

"We're not supposed to be seen in public without our managers!"

"What people?" The older girl looked around. "There's no one here but us!"

"But still.." The younger girl pleaded as she dragged the older girl away from a couple of staff staring at them. "We need to be careful.."

"You're so uptight, Yuri-ah," The older girl chuckled as she let her younger friend push her across the almost empty park. "That's why you need this vacation."

"Yeah, yeah.." The younger girl sighed. "Alright.."

As they both walked around the park looking for rides to have fun in, Jo Yuri stared into the distance, wondering how she got there in the first place.. 

 

A week ago, one loud night in their dorm, as usual, Yuri was arguing with Minju, as usual, about which drama was better to watch for the evening. Minju wanted to watch an old re-run of a drama she loved, and Yuri wanted to watch a new famous series about a rich girl trapped in North Korea. 

"I told you we're better off watching a funny drama," Minju crossed her arms. "I don't get why you like watching depressing stories."

"They even use hard words I barely understand."

"Well, of course YOU wouldn't understand most of what they're saying, Minju," Yuri scoffed. "Not with that empty head of yours."

"You take that back!" Kim Minju almost shouted. "I know you can't understand half of what they're saying too!"

"Watch where you point those fingers," The short haired girl said again. "I can understand them just fine."

"Huh! The other day I saw you just stared blankly at the screen while Eunbi unnie laughed at their joke." Minju retorted. 

"Wha-" Yuri was slightly taken aback. "I was just disctracted by something, that's all!"

"Oh, keep on lying, Yuri," Minju smirked. "I can see right through you."

"Hmph, as if." Jo Yuri scoffed again.

"Why do you want to watch it here anyway?" Minju asked. "You have a perfectly working TV in your own dorm."

"Well, I like to watch here, okay?" Yuri answered. "It's not like you're using the TV to watch quality contents."

"Quality what?" Her same aged friend said. "You've gotta be kidding me.."

"You're saying a show about a cliche rich girl getting rescued by a poor solider from the opponent country is quality content?"

"It's such a cliche that they're going to fall in love and flee to the girl's country and live off her fortune!"

"Hey, you don't know that!" Yuri seemed offended. "They could have a sad ending where the girl escaped but the soldier stayed behind!"

"And who would want to watch a crap ending like that?" Minju flared up.

"Someone with great taste, actually," Yuri scoffed for the nth time. "I can't say the same about you.."

"You wouldn't get what it's like to be swayed by the story, to shed tears from watching their pain and struggles.."

"To be one with the character--"

"--Which character, the soldier or the rich woman?" Minju quickly cut in. "You don't seem like a brave soldier type, and you're definitely NOT a rich and pretty woman.."

"I think you're more suited being the nation's dictator leader.."

"How dare you, Kim Minju," Yuri glared. "You want to taste some of this dictator's iron fists?"

"See?" Minju pointed at her. "Only a bad dictator tries to solve everything with violence!"

"Bring it on!"

"A dictator is always bad, pabo-yah!" Yuri smirked. "You don't have to add bad in front of it!"

"You.." Minju's face grew red. "Can it!"

 

"What is it with you two.." Eunbi sighed as she stood between the two bickering girls raising their fists ready to fight. "You're always fighting.."

"Don't you get tired?" The oldest girl said as she pulled both girl's ears. "Like, at all?"

"She started it, unnie!" Yuri pointed her finger at Minju as she shrieked in pain. "Ouch!"

"Ow!" Minju cried. "That's not true, she's the one coming here trying to take control of our TV!"

"Shut it." Eunbi glared at both. "Now apologize to each other and play nice!"

"Sorry, Yuri.." Minju said and offered her same aged friend her hand.

"Sorry, Minju.." And Yuri took her hand reluctantly.

"Good," Eunbi sighed and took the remote. "Now sit down and let me watch some variety show.."

"B-But unnie--" Minju was going to complain.

"No buts!" Eunbi raised her finger. "That's what you get for making a ruckus!"

"Y-Yes, leader-nim.." Yuri cowered.

"What did you call me?" Eunbi glared and Yuri quickly hid behind Minju.

"I-I mean yes, pretty unnie.." She said in defeat.

 

The living room grew quiet in a while as they sat on the sofa obidiently to watch some show. Minju started to play with her cellphone as the room started to be filled with shouting and laughter from the television. Not long after the other girls started to make their way to the living room, curious to watch the funny show. The last one to enter the room was Hyewon, and the moment Yuri caught her graceful figure she couldn't turn away. As she kept her gaze at Hyewon she could feel the entire room lit up and suddenly to her Kang Hyewon's pressence lit up the room. To Yuri, Hyewon was this angelic goddess that shone brightly with rose petals flying around her body. 

"Beautiful.." Yuri sighed as she watched Hyewon make some joke at Eunbi as soon as she entered the room, and stared at her longingly when Hyewon brushed her long slightly wavy majestic hair with her fingers. She kept her puppy gaze at Hyewon when she gracefully sat down on the floor and started to play with her phone. 

"Bet she's playing that shooting game again.." She whispered under her breath.

But soon she noticed that Hyewon wasn't playing a game after all. It was clear to Yuri that the second oldest was typing something on her cellphone. 

Texting, maybe? She thought. Wonder who she's texting..  

Immediately she could feel jealousy grew inside her chest, and her whole body sank into the sofa. Reluctantly she turned away and her eyes caught Minju who was also busy with her cellphone. Her eyes suddenly grew bigger as she noticed that her same aged friend looked like she was texting as well. She switched her gaze from Hyewon to Minju and back and gasped in disbelief.

Surely they are not texting each other, right? She thought to herself. Surely not..

But the two girls were the only ones playing with their phones, and Yuri's suspicion grew bigger with every second passed. Both were smiling and giggling at their phones, and once in a while both would threw secret glances at each other and smiled sheepishly. 

No, she thought again as her heart kept sinking. Surely not..

 

"What's your deal anyway?" She could hear a raspy voice next to her but she was too busy staring at Minju to notice. "You keep picking fights with her."

"What's that?" Yuri finally broke off from her trance when she felt a nudge to her stomach. 

"You keep picking fights with Minju." Yena said again as she nodded at Minju's direction.

"O-Oh, it's nothing, unnie," Yuri answered. "You know that's just our way of fooling around.."

"Like you and Hyewon unnie.."

"That's different," Yena scoffed. "I really hate that girl."

"Stop saying things you don't mean, unnie," Yuri sighed. "I know you really like her."

"Bah, no I don't," The duck shook her head. "I don't like that girl, not even a bit."

"If you say so.." The younger girl shrugged and stared into the distance.

 

But the older girl's question made her think, why did she always have to pick fights with her same aged friend? It was different than Yena and Hyewon usually bickers, Yena usually irked Hyewon to see Hyewon's reactions, and made fun of her for them. While Yuri had always felt the need to challenge everything Minju say, or do. Yuri thought about how their relationship evolved to that point, and wondered whether it was just because it was common for same aged friends to bicker all the time. But deep down she knew it all started out of her jealousy towards Minju, when she noticed Hyewon always seemed to favor Minju among others. It was subtle, for no one but Yuri seemed to have noticed it.

To the eyes of the others Hyewon and Minju were not close to each other, they always had that awkwardness towards each other. The second oldest always had problems to look Minju straight in the eyes. And even when she did, she could only manage a few seconds before she look the other way. Eunbi once joked that it was because the two of them were hailed as the visual of the group, and there was this tension among them to prove who was prettier. It was just a joke, of course, stemmed from the rumors going around the internet. Both girls denied the rumor as well, claiming that the youngest, Wonyoung, was the prettiest among them. A claim not far from the truth.

Hyewon, like the rest of the girls, also loved to tease Minju for her clumsiness, or how random she could be at times, but had always been the first one to apologize, and offer truce, and comfort the clumsy princess with her odd jokes. Like Yena always said, Hyewon was one odd ball, but she could be even weirder around Minju. And perhaps that simple comment was the key that unlocked Yuri's curiousness towards the two. Even when she was awkward with Minju, Hyewon always made sure to praise how pretty Minju was, even in random times. Hyewon had always been the photographer of the group, taking care of the girls' selfies, but one member she never failed to take multiple pictures of was none other than Minju. The second oldest always made sure to take a bunch of photos in one sitting, making sure Minju had that perfect selfie. She literally stored thousands of Minju's selfies in her phone.

While Kim Minju behaved a little differently. She had always been extra polite to the second oldest, extra careful in conversations. And while the other girls would tease Hyewon, Minju was the only one who didnt even bother to participate in the fun. That could be seen as a sign that they were not close to each other for others, if not for the secret glances Minju always made at Hyewon that Yuri had noticed. And to Yuri, Minju's over-politeness was seen as over-sweetness. 

Nevertheless, Yuri felt that there was something about more about the two than what people saw between them. Somehting that peaked her curiousity, or jealousy for that matter. But it was just a gut feeling. She didn't have any proof to support it. That was why when she thought there was something going on behind the scene the last time Hyewon and Minju had a fight, she went to Chaeyeon for help. That was why she planted a spy in Hyewon's dorm. A spy that had been working for at least a couple of weeks now. A spy that was now sitting right next to her.

 

"Do you have some news for me?" Yuri whispered without looking at the spy next to her.

"I do." The duck whispered back.

"Do you want to share them now?" The short haired girl asked again, trying to hide her restlessness. 

"Not so fast," Yena patted her back. "We made a deal, remember?"

"A date in exchange for the information."

Yuri sighed as she recalled how she had asked Yena to help her spy on Hyewon and Minju. She had thought that the duck would be happy to do her a favor without asking anything back, but she couldn't be more wrong. The cheeky girl immediately agreed to help her on one condition, Yuri had to go on a date with her. 

"I do, unnie," Yuri let out a sigh. 

"You do?" Yena shrieked as she covered her face shyly. "But I haven't even propose yet!"

"You're getting bold these day, Yuri!"

"I meant the date, unnie!" Yuri quickly said as she could feel the girls turning their attention towards them. "I remember about the date!"

"What were you thinking?" She slapped Yena's back and the latter playfully laughed.

"Okay, okay," Yena kept laughing as the other girls just shrugged and turn their attention back to what they had been doing. 

"Stop laughing," Yuri could feel her face was getting warmer from the embarrasment. "It's not funny.."

"So when are we going?"

"Well, I need to plan this out first." Yena smiled as she leaned into the sofa.

"You need to plan first?" Suddenly Yuri felt like the older girl was trying to plan a prank for her.

"It will be perfect," But Yena just smiled and winked at her. "I promise.."

Yuri sighed as Yena stood up and went to annoy Hyewon with her antics, and the latter responded with an exaggerated scream, successfully creating a chain-screaming reaction from all the girls, and suddenly the dorm broke into a tag/slap game.

"What have I done.."