Secret Investigation

Secret Snippets

"Evidence number 1.." Yuri muttered to herself as she scribbled down on her notepad. The native Busan girl sat in the corner of the bustling waiting room, with her large round fake glasses, observing the scene in front of her. Hiding between bags and their tired managers resting on the sofa, her presence was completely obscured from the rest of the girls. 

"Frequent secret glances between subject number 1 and 2.." She wrote as she kept her eyes on Hyewon and Minju, who were sitting pretty far from each other and seemingly were chatting with their friends but still managed to throw glances at each other. "Probably every 10 seconds or so.."

"Rarely at the same time.." She added, "But if they do, they quickly turn away.."

 

Yujin the tall beagle entered the scene, and immediately made the whole room roar as she danced and joked around, probably to relieve her unnies from their nervousness before performing live. Soon Wonyoung and Yena, who just got their makeup done, joined her, and Yuri lost her view of Hyewon and Minju for a couple of seconds from all the chaos. The Busan girl quickly adjusted her seat and could see a glimpse of Kwangbae reaching for her cellphone and pointed her camera at Minju.

"Evidence number 2," Yuri quickly scribbled as she saw Minju noticed Kangbae was taking her picture from a distance and shyly brushed her hair aside, seemingly to pose for a better angle. "Subject number 1 secretly takes pictures of subject number 2.."

"But that's OUR thing.." She frowned as she thought about how much Hyewon loved to take her pictures with her cellphone. "Why didn't I notice this before?"

But as she was curiously stared at Kwangbae, the older girl suddenly turned at her direction and Yuri instantly hid her face behind her notepad. She waited a couple of seconds before she peeked from the side of the small notepad and found Hyewon awkwardly slid her cellphone into her pocket while looking around as if she was worried someone had notice her. 

Yuri turned her attention towards Minju but found the latter was now busy joking around with Chaewon, as the latter always enjoyed teasing the younger girl. The Busan girl turned her gaze back to Kwangbae, and found the older girl was now surrounded by Yena and Yujin, trapped in their fake interview. 

And just then one of the staff came into the room and announced that they had to perform in five minutes, and the room quickly became tense. The girls hurriedly prepared for their performance and Yuri reluctantly joined them.

 

When they were back from the stage the girls gathered in a circle and cheered for their succesful performance. As Eunbi was leading their cheer Yuri kept her gaze on her subjects and found them staring with each other, with a huge smile on their faces. Not like their previous cat and mouse glances, this one was diferent. Both girls were staring intently at each other, without hiding or looking away. That was when the Busan girl noticed Minju's longing gaze towards Kwangbae; her eyes were glazing and she was biting her lower lip. Curious as she had never seen such look on Minju's face, she turned her attention to Hyewon and found the latter was putting the most beautiful smile on her face as she kept her stare on Minju's lips. And it was the first time Yuri had seen such a smile from the older girl, and for a while she wondered what the smile meant. 

But the two broke their gaze when Eunbi finished her short speech and shouted in joy, followed by the rest of the girls, and they screamed from the top of their lungs. That was their last schedule for the day, and the girls happily went back to their seats to gather their belongings and prepared for their ride back home.

 

Yuri went back to her seat in the corner and took her notepad out from her bag, pondering whether she should add the last evidence to her note. But more than wanting to write another piece of evidence, she wondered why she had never witness Kwangbae smile like that before, why the older girl never shown a smile like that when she was with her. She took her pen and tried to picture Hyewon's smile. 

"It was the sweetest," She started as she imagined the older girl's lips in her mind. "It was.."

"It was joy?" Yuri quickly scribbled, trying to understand what the smile meant. "Happiness? Pride?"

It was.." She stopped for a while before she wrote another word. "It was fulfillment.."

"She was fulfilled.." The Busan girl felt her hand heavy when she wrote the lines. "She was the happiest.."

"She was lo.." Yuri felt tears suddenly filling her eyes, and wondered why she felt the saddest in her life. Her mind was all over the place, trying to find the reason for what she was feeling at that moment and trying to hold her tears from falling at the same time. 

 

"Hey, Watson," Chaeyeon's voice startled her as the older girl suddenly stood next to her. "What are you doing?"

"U-Unnie.." She thought she could contain her tears but suddenly she felt her cheeks were wet. "I-I.."

"Unnie!" The feather shouted when she noticed her tears. "Yuri is crying!"

"Yuri-ah!" And suddenly the Busan girl found her friends gathered around her, with the oldest reaching out and hugged her. "It's okay!"

"We did it!" Kwon Eunbi tried to cheer her up, as her friends mistakenly thinking they were tears from all the euforia of their performance. "We did good!"

"Yuri unnie, don't cry!" She could hear the youngest in the background as she bury her face in Eunbi's chest, and soon her friends followed by offfering encouraging words. The youngest was also the first one to cry with her, followed by Chaewon, Nako and Minju. Yena jokingly said that it was a little late for them to cry now, and was scolded immediately by Hitomi. Yujin cried too as she tried to comfort Wonyoung, and Yuri could see one of their stylist unnie and manager joined them in tears.

 

They calmed down after a while and started to laugh at each other for their ruined makeups, and Yuri slowly started to regain herself when the duck held her in her arms. The room suddenly was filled with a warm atmosphere as they finally let all the stress from their chests go with their tears and laughter, and Eunbi patted Yuri in the back. 

"Thank you, Yuri," The leader said smiling. "That was just what we need."

"Now my chest feels light.."

"How can you feel light when you have those huge things?" Sakura suddenly said and they all laughed from her remark.

"Kkura-yah.." Eunbi shyly nudged her and Chaeyeon shook her head. "Saku-chan.."

 

It was when they finally finished preparing to go home that Yena approached the Busan girl again and asked if she was really okay.

"I'm fine, unnie," She said as she finished gathering her things. "Really."

"You know you can talk to me about anything, right?" The duck said again, and Yuri wondered if the older girl noticed that she wasn't crying because of their performance. "I'm always here for you."

"I-I know, unnie," She forced a smile. "Thank you.."

The older girl took her hand and guided her as they started to leave the building towards their van. As they were walking her eyes met Chaeyeon's and they nodded to each other in a secret agreement, and she turned her eyes to look for Hyewon and found her walking along side the giant maknae Yujin. She turned her gaze once more and found Minju walking with Chaewon, and she felt a weird sensation in her stomach. Yuri had rarely seen Hyewon and Minju walking together, or stood close to each other, but now as she saw both of her subjects were walking far from each other, somehow she felt like she was seeing them walking together with their fingers joined together. 

"Like they were always together.." She unconsciously muttered to herself.

"What's that?" The duck asked as she heard her talking. 

"N-Nothing, unnie." She said as she put on her fake smile and held her arm.

 

That night when all the girls had finally went to bed Yuri sat on the sofa in the living room and waited for Chaeyeon to join her. Her mind was still a little bit all over the place as she couldn't stop picturing Hyewon's smile everytime she closed her eyes. 

"So, Watson," The feather finally joined her in the living room after she was done with her shower. "Any news?"

"I took some interesting notes, unnie," She said as she pretended to be her usual cheerful self. "How about you?"

"Me?" Chaeyeon sat next to her. "I haven't done anything-"

"-YET." The older girl quickly added when she noticed Yuri was glaring at her.

"I can't believe you, unnie!" The Busan girl almost shouted. "I was so busy watching Kwangbae and Minju and taking all these notes and you did nothing?"

"I-I'm sorry, okay?" The feather was startled. "I-I was too busy thinking about our live stage that I forgot to watch them!"

"You're unbelievable!" Yuri was starting to get upset. "And there I was doing all the hard work for us!"

"I was so focused on our task that I think I screwed up a couple of times during the performance!"

"O-Okay, I'm sorry.." The older girl patted her back to calm her down. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"I didn't think this was so important to you.."

"It is, okay?" Yuri's voice was starting to tremble a bit, and Chaeyeon felt guilty.

"Sorry.." Chaeyeon said again and the two was silent for a while.

 

"So that's why you cried after the show," Chaeyeon started when Yuri seemed calm. "You're scared that you messed up.."

"I-I was.." The Busan girl was relieved the older girl still didn't notice the real reason why she cried. Even she herself was still confused why she cried after seeing Hyewon's smile.

"But our managers told us we did great," The feather continued, still trying to cheer her up. "They watched our stage and said that they couldn't find anything wrong with our performance."

"Cheer up, Yuri," The older patted her back once more. "We did our best already."

"If you say so.." Yuri replied weakly. 

"And for our case," Chaeyeon continued. "I promise next time I'll gather all the evidence that we need to solve it!"

"Promise?" Yuri asked with pleading eyes.

"Promise!" The feather smiled as she took Yuri's hand and made a pinky promise with her.

 

"So what did you get so far?" Chaeyeon started when she noticed a slight change in Yuri's mood.

"Not so much," The Busan girl reached for her notepad. "Only a couple of things.."

"Secret glances.." The older girl leaned closer and read her notes. "Taking pictures.."

"The sweetest? Happiness?" Chaeyeon read the note Yuri made at the end. "What is-"

"-It's nothing!" Yuri quickly closed her notepad and threw it to the side. "It was nothing!"

"I was just scribbling!"

"O-Okay.." Chaeyeon stared at her with a curious look.

 

"S-So what do you think about my findings?" Yuri tried to change the topic.

"Hmm.." The older girl pondered. "I don't know, Yuri.."

"These doesn't prove anything.."

"But-" The younger girl was about to object but Chaeyeon quickly explained herself.

"-I mean, they could be staring at anyone or anything," The feather started. "Not necessarily at each other.."

"And we can't be sure if Hyewon was taking Minju's photos or someone else's.."

"If only we have access to her cellphone.."

"I can get her phone!" Yuri replied excitedly at the idea. "I take photos with her cellphone all the time."

"Awesome." Chaeyeon smiled. "Find Minju's photos in her cell and we have ourselves a strong case."

 

"But everyone's been using her phone to take pictures, Watson." The older girl said again after a while. "It must be filled with our photos.."

"We need more convincing evidence.."

"Like what?" Yuri asked.

"Like, I don't know.." Chaeyeon shrugged as she pondered. "Like we need more surveillance.."

"We need more proof.."

"We need to know how they act around each other when there's no camera or managers or anyone.."

"You're trying to say we need to know how they act when they're alone," Yuri summarized.

"Exactly." Chaeyeon nodded. "That's my Watson."

"How do we do that?" The younger girl asked again. "The only time they might be alone together is when they're in their dorm.."

"And we can't be there all the time to watch them."

"Hmm," The feather thought. "There's no other way.."

"We need help from their side."

"But who?"

Yuri thought about the idea and carefully shared her thought. "I may have the perfect candidate, Holmes.."