Life Is Impermanence

Let the Heart Go On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain started falling last night and seems it will never end. Storm clouds cover the sky, turning day into night. Even heaven wails for the sudden death of one of the most well-known art collectors and philanthropists in Japan.

As the Chairperson of the KoEBi Foundation, Miyawaki Sakura is obliged to attend the funeral of one of her most important patrons. But Takahashi Kenta was not just any billionaire. 33 years ago, he was the one who went alongside with Sakura to the Capital Square, carrying donations and useful materials to support the student movement there.

He was a brilliant art trader. He earned his first pot of gold soon after he graduated and accumulated enormous wealth owning prestigious global art auction houses and galleries. He married one of the most beautiful women in Japan at 35, has two daughters and a son. But he left them all behind when he turned 55.

Memories with Kenta are short and scattered, but they nonetheless make Sakura feels sad. 

Life is so impermanence. Sakura contemplates. But he will always be remembered for how much he has given and not how much he has owned.

Kenta's wife looks young and his children are still in their teens. It reminds Sakura of Chaeyeon. She doesn't know how long will she live, but Chaeyeon definitely will still be young when she dies unless she is going to live a hundred years.

When the funeral ceremony ends, the rain hasn't. Sakura sighs, there is a small nagging pain in her shoulder, probably because of the rain. Just thinking of getting a train back in the rush hour makes her feel sick. She should have let Chaeyeon drive her here, but she doesn't want to waste the girl's time. More importantly, she has been taking public transportation for the last 5 decades and it is important to maintain her independence.

"Sakura-san?"

At the very moment, Sakura hears somebody calling her. She turns her head to the direction of the voice and sees a shorter woman pushing her way through the funeral guests.

"Hitomi? Why are you here?"

Honda Hitomi smiles, "Mr. Takahashi's wife was my close friend during college, but she got married soon after graduation – you know, it's...I was invited to their wedding but, you know...we just reconnected a few weeks ago and..."

"Oh, sorry to hear that."

Hitomi shrugs with a sad smile. "Anyway – are you going home? Can I give you a lift? I think I need to talk to you."

Aha! Here it comes. Sakura knows well what's going on and thanks Hitomi politely.

In order to avoid the rainy day rush hour traffic, the women changed their minds and stopped at a restaurant for dinner.

Sakura immediate texts Chaeyeon and it intrigues Hitomi. But as a junior, Hitomi thinks she'd better keep her curiosity to herself.

The two professors stay silent for a while until Sakura asks, "Hii, you said you needed to talk to me?"

"Yes," Hitomi starts carefully, "your student came to talk to me yesterday."

Sakura nods, "I know."

"I have not given her any reply yet. You know, there's nothing new about that. You have so many secret admirers all through the years, I don't think a student needs to change supervisor because she has a crush on her teacher – as long as you feel comfortable."

Sakura inhales deeply, "the problem lies on me. I fell, hard. Just she volunteered to talk to you first."

To Sakura's surprised, Hitomi doesn't look surprised at all. Contrary, a smile starts to blossom into a big grin on her prudence face.

"Congratulations! We have all anticipated this."

Sakura is shocked. "Who are we? Anticipate what?"

"Just the Arts Faculty," Hitomi laughs so hard that she has to cover .

"Just..." Sakura drops her jaw, "there is almost 200 staff..."

Hitomi shakes her head, "it's just among a dozen closely related people. You have taken care of everyone all these years and we really wish that you can find your happiness."

Sakura is taken aback. "Wait! How come you all know something that I don't know?"

"Oneesan," Hitomi pats the back of Sakura's hand gently, "when Lee Chaeyeon moved into your apartment – although it was not unjustifiable, we all prayed that she could melt that stone-cold heart of yours. We know she is special to you even from the very beginning. Remember you brought her to Sweden? Nobody even have that privilege except Nako, and you always mentioned her in our staff meetings. You've liked her for a long time, just you haven't noticed."

Sakura shakes her head, "I shouldn't have done that. I let her move in because I really treated her as my student a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter