Never Too Late

Let the Heart Go On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is the continuation of a chapter that is from another story. Please click and read here first in case you want to get the background clearer.

I am sorry it took me one whole month to finish the update, I hope you think it worth the waiting. Thank you for your patience.

 

When rays of sunshine leak through the blinds and shine on the sleeping women's faces on an early Sunday morning, they bring along the summer heat. The old electric stand fan is swinging from side to side but ends up distributing warm air around the room instead of cooling it down. The women are loosely cuddling in a single bed, with the older's neck resting comfortably on the younger's arm. When Sakura is gradually waking up, she feels the sweat on her back.

She opens her eyes and turns carefully to her side, facing the sleeping girl with only inches apart. She can literally feel her warm breath. Despite sweating from the heat, the girl smells good – from Eunbi's shampoo. After the reunion, Eunbi started sending her all kinds of everything, from homemade macarons to clothes, and certainly, shampoo from the factory she owns through courier service. It feels like she is over-compensating something she never owed. Nevertheless, being an environmentalist, Sakura doesn't need most of what she is given, so she is glad that Chaeyeon is now using up the shampoo.

Do you know how adorable you are with that smell? Sakura asks the sleeping face in silence. She takes a deep breath until her lungs are filled with a faint scent of baby milk powder, blended unexpectedly well with the artificial musky smell of the shampoo. It's so strange, it used to be how I smelled. She finally recalls. (Actually Eunbi used to smell like soap when they first met. It was the time when people still handwash their clothes with industrial soap, in that faraway land.)

Silently, she watches the girl sleeps. The human dynamo is now resting peacefully, so soft and beautiful that makes Sakura's heart aches a little. Yet, she tries her best not to touch her. She doesn't want to wake her up. She has actually never seen her sleeping – Chaeyeon has always woken up before her, busily making her breakfast, planning for small excursions, helping her pack up for classes and meetings, and making her home feels like a home...

Home...

She slowly recollects what happened last night – she granted a green light for the girl to confess to her "officially". She has no idea why she did that, but something that she has tried stubbornly to avoid was finally announced to her ears loud and clear. What really shocked her, however, was not the confession but how her defense mechanism collapsed totally in a slipt of a second. Her heart suddenly got soften, and there is no more wall in-between to protect or prevent her from being touched by another heart.

When she is thinking about this, she feels her heart swelling with a strong feeling of tenderness and blissful happiness that has been unknown to her. She met Eunbi in their youth and their encounter was like a thunderstorm. They were situated in the turning point of history, have to race against time and struggle between life and death. Their love was never tender and definitely not blissful. No. She never dares to imagine happiness in her whole life until all of a sudden, an angel came to her with an inviting hand... 

She can still remember the day when the renowned social designer who has been collaborating with KoEBi Korea in a few remarkable projects flew all the way to Japan just to discuss the possibility to be her student. She almost said "yes" the moment she received the email. Lee Chaeyeon showed great admiration of Professor Miyawaki without knowing that the appreciation is mutual. 

Sakura has many "star" students, but there is none like Chaeyeon. She possesses all the qualities of a model student that every professor would have dreamt of and feel the honor to be her supervisor.

But...

Sakura's eyes turn sad.

She knows what is that feeling. She doesn't know why she can only feel it now. Maybe it has been there for quite a while, just she has overestimated herself in controlling her feelings through her rationalities.

But the heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... *

Her heart clenches. She knows well what does that mean.

She is going to face one of the worst dilemmas in her life.

And at the very moment, Chaeyeon takes a deep breath and slowly opens her eyes.

"Sensei?" Her voice is so soft.

Upon waking up, Chaeyeon soon realizes her arm is now tingling with pins and needles. She carefully pulls it away from Sakura and has no idea when did they start cuddling.

"Good morning." Sakura quickly pulls herself back to reality and smiles. "Slept well on a proper bed?"

"Yes," Chaeyeon grins and notices her slip of the tongue immediately, "I mean I slept well...it's not too bad to sleep on the floor though – so how is your pain?"

"No pain after taking Chaenquilizer."

"Tranquilizer?" Chaeyeon is confused.

"No, it's Chaenquilizer – Chaen from Chaeyeon plus -quilizer."

Chaeyeon sniggers, "what does that mean?"

"It means what it means."

"So it means you sleep well, that's great," Chaeyeon says and gets up. She has to get up before her rationality loses hold of controlling her desire in kissing the sensei on her sensational plump lips and to caress her cute big ears. The sensei looks so attractive without eyeglasses on.

But she knows sensei is not ready for it yet.

When Sakura makes way for Chaeyeon to get out of bed, she turns to the bedside table and her expression becomes comic, "Hey, how come our eyeglass looks so similar?"

"Don't worry, I know well which pair doesn't belong to me." Chaeyeon chuckles and sighs at the same time. The sensei doesn't even notice I normally wear contact lenses.

 

 

The day starts peacefully. Chaeyeon cooks breakfast and Sakura washes the dishes. They plan to do a small excursion by the lake in the late afternoon when the sun is less strong.

But it didn't take long for Chaeyeon to notice Sakura is quieter than usual.

"Sensei, is there something bothering you?"

"There is nothing I can hide from you, isn't it?" Sakura smiles faintly, and she signals Chaeyeon to sit down on the couch with her, "there is something I need to discuss with you."

Chaeyeon becomes cautious. Sensei's tone is serious.

It takes Sakura a while to start talking, in a barely audible voice, "Chaeyeon, I'm afraid I cannot be your supervisor anymore."

Chaeyeon feels all blood suddenly leaves her head, "Why?"

Sakura swallows hard and stutters, "I can't because...we...we're not...not supposed to be... It's inappropriate...professional misconduct."

Chaeyeon instantly gets what Sakura means. She stands up abruptly as adrenaline surges through her body, her voice shakes, "But we didn't do anything! We just slept on the same bed last night – it was purely resting!"

"Chaeyeon, I don't mean..." Sakura inhales deeply but Chaeyeon won't let her finish.

"Everything can be justified. Your shoulder blade fractured because you took the blows for me. You couldn't move your arm for over a month. It explains well why I am staying with you – simply to take care of you, there is absolutely no professional misconduct!"

"You know I don't mean this."

"I know what you mean, you let me confess to you and you didn't reject me straight to the face, and this is inappropriate. But I...I know it very well, it's only my one-side love, right? Am I right?" Chaeyeon kneels down in front of Sakura with tears now running down her face, "I am sorry, I don't know...I haven't think of the consequence...can I take back my words, let's pretend nothing has happened. No one will know. You ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter