THIRD

𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝’𝚜 𝚊 𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙?

『 present, winter 』


Donghyuck looked around. Why does the world seem so bright today? He heard the birds chirp,  he saw the trees sway as if they were dancing, and saw everyone smiling rather often. Unknowingly, he smiled as well. Jeno, the boy walking alongside him, slapped his shoulder.

 

"What the hell was that for Jeno?!?"

 

"You look like a fool smiling at nothing," Jeno smiled awkwardly, "I should ask what's wrong with you."

 

Donghyuck laughed loudly and started clapping his hands. Jeno stared at him weirdly and shook his head. He started wondering why he'd gotten himself a bunch of fools as friends. 

 

It was still early and the students were barely awake as they groggily walked towards their classrooms. Except for Donghyuck, of course. By the time he reached their classroom, Donghyuck slammed the door open and surprised the other students who were still drowsy. He bowed and apologized.

 

"You look happy."

 

Jaemin said as he took off his earphones to talk to Donghyuck. The ecstatic boy chuckled and held his nape. He was smiling from ear to ear and Jaemin had goosebumps. Something was going on, alright.

 

"It's got something to do with Sehyun, huh?"

 

Donghyuck coughed and they stared at each other for a good 10 seconds. They laughed loudly, sarcastically after that. It was so loud that the other students had to coldly ask them to shut up.

 

The door opened revealing two students of the other section. Their nametags read Renjun and Jeno. The fellow named Renjun entered with such charisma that Jeno had to push him in order to move forward.

 

"Hello there, you poor fools."

 

Renjun drank from Donghyuck's water bottle earning a glare from the boy. 

 

"You're not Chenle to say that."

 

As if on cue, Chenle and another boy about his age entered the room as well. Their neckties were of different color, indicating that they were from the lower batch. Chenle took off his airpods and the other boy placed his bag on a random chair.

 

"You two are early today and Donghyuck's extremely happy," Jeno said in a suspicious tone, "Something's off."

 

"Why, can't I be happy Jeno? You guys just don't have a love life."

 

Donghyuck commented earning a surprised look from the rest of the boys. Love life? The way he said it made those two words sound foreign. 

 

"Love life?!? Hyung?!?"

 

Jisung stood up and had a confused look on his face. Everyone was confused at this point and Donghyuck simply smirked and shrugged. Jaemin slowly sat back down, realization starting to hit him. The door opened and revealed a girl with black hair, entering with her earphones on. The boys' gazes shifted to her. Chenle and Jisung looked at the clock and it read 7:45. Classes were about to start.

 

Donghyuck raised his hand to say hello to her but was blocked by Jaemin who stood up and went to the girl.

 

"Good morning, Love~"

 

Jaemin said it in a rather cheesy tone and therefore caused the girl the roll her eyes. It was very cheesy indeed but she was happy to see Jaemin as she went inside the room. Her eyes wandered in the room and found Donghyuck. She stared at him and he shyly waved.

 

"G-good morning to you too, Jaemin."

 

"Oh! Did you just stutter? I'm irresistible, aren't I?"

 

"No, you're not and stop that please."

 

She said in a very cold tone. Jaemin pouted but was used to Sehyun's actions. She was cold but she really didn't mean those rude comments. It indicated that they were close and Jaemin liked teasing her. Sehyun went to her seat and Jaemin followed her.

 

"We'll get going, hyungs," Jisung said and slapped Chenle who glared at him, "Chenle's treating us for lunch later."

 

Renjun and Jeno stood up as well, about to head for their classroom for classes were about to start any time now.

 

"See you later!"

 

And with that the room was filled with students in their respective seats and their teacher entering the room with a big brown folder on his hand. The kids expected him to carry a textbook but today seemed quite different.

 

"Good morning children," the students stood up and bowed to the teacher, "take your seats and mentally prepare yourselves."

 

Endless questions of 'why' and 'what's happening' were heard from the youngsters. The first subject was mathematics and he asks them to mentally prepare themselves for the first time?

 

"Sir," the class president, Hyunjin, stood up, "what's the occasion?"

 

"Very good, question Mr. President. We're having a pair work today."

 

Everyone whined and protested against it but their teacher shook off their comments. Everyone was displeased except for one boy who immediately gazed at a girl seated in front. Donghyuck smiled.

 

"I will be giving the privilege to choose your own partner. So, please, do so right away."

 

The day was so pleasing and entertaining that Donghyuck thought everything was scripted. That his life was similar to that of a drama he saw the other day. He stood up and head towards Sehyun with the feeling of a handsome comic main character. It looked funny.

 

"Hey, Sehyun," Hyunjin called out, "wanna work with me?"

 

He said loud enough for the other students to hear. Their classmates teased them, gossiping that they were meant to be and things cheesy as such. 

 

"Here comes the weird villain that comes to wreck the day," Donghyuck rolled his eyes as he talked to himself, "Sehyun, come with me."

 

He grabbed Sehyun's arm, startling the girl. Donghyuck looked up at Hyunjin and squinted. They left Sehyun's area and head for the two vacant seats at the back. Jaemin sighed at the scene and at the students who wouldn't stop making a fuss. The scene had much tension, how could the students turn a blind eye?

 

"D-donghyuck–"

 

"Shh milady," they both sat down, "Nothing bad will happen to you."

 

Sehyun really didn't want to be partnered with Donghyuck. The day before Christmas vacation was still fresh on her mind as if it was yesterday and she wouldn't be able to focus. She also thought that she might've been a nuisance for him. She wasn't good at mathematics, she had to admit.

 

"Donghyuck, I'm not good at mathematics you know that and before vaca–"

 

He shushed her once more and simply smirked. Donghyuck heard footsteps coming near them and turned around to face a tall guy's figure.

 

"Sehyun," Jaemin suddenly called out, "you're working with me."