T W E N T Y S I X T H

𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝’𝚜 𝚊 𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙?

"Come in."

 

Sehyun removed her shoes before letting herself in. Jeno's house was questionably quiet and so, it made her curious.

 

"Don't you live with your parents?"

 

"They're at work."

 

"On a weekend?"

 

Jeno stayed silent and thought for a short while. He had forgotten what it was his parents told him about their whereabouts so he simply shrugged.

 

"The kitchen's over there."

 

He pointed to the room across them as he took off his coat. She looked and then nodded. They haven't even started yet she already imagined the whole kitchen being messy.

 

"Say," she spoke while they walked to the kitchen, "do your parents know I'm coming over?"

 

"I don't own the house after all so, yeah."

 

She silently stared at Jeno who placed down their items on the kitchen counter. He looked back at her and asked what was wrong.

 

"What... did you tell them?"

 

"Hm? That I have a friend that wants to bake cookies in our prestigious kitchen."

 

She sighed in relief.

 

"Why?"

 

"I thought you told them your ex was coming over to make cookies for her new boyfriend."

 

Jeno paused and looked at Sehyun with widened eyes. She lightly punched his shoulder and laughed.

 

"You..."

 

"I'm your ex aren't I?"

 

That was not what made him act surprised. It was because she labeled Donghyuck as her 'new boyfriend', something he was sure she would never do. Instead of telling her, he just shook his head.

 

"Let's start shall we?"

 

— ☼ —

 

The smell of freshly made cookies spread throughout the Lee's kitchen. As Sehyun carefully pulled out the tray, Jeno tried to snatch one until his hand got slapped away. Sehyun eyed him evily.

 

"Phew."

 

All was left was to let them cool off. Yet Jeno knew cookies weren't the only solution to this problem of hers.

 

"Cool them off and you're ready to face Donghyuck."

 

"Hmm... maybe?"

 

"Why," Jeno asked, knowing where this was heading, "do you think you're lacking something?"

 

"Duh, Am I supposed to give these to him as they are?"

 

He was dumbfounded. Of course! The bag in which the cookies had to be in. How could they forget such a crucial thing?

 

"Crap, we totally forgot about that."

 

"Your mouth, Jeno. I'll go buy some right now."

 

Jeno blocked her from leaving the kitchen and awkwardly looked around. She stared at him in confusion as he pursed his lips. The doorbell rang.

 

"Jeno! The door's open but I know you're there so I'm coming in."

 

A boy's voice was heard from the outside. Sehyun didn't realize it at first but she thought that it was oddly familiar.

 

"Lee Jeno?"

 

She asked and he scratched his head.

 

"Hey, Jeno you left the door op–"

 

Sehyun widened her eyes to see the boy standing before them. She looked back at Jeno who was staring at the ground, sorry for his sudden actions.

 

The kitchen, which had been filled with the fragrance of cookies, was now filled with nothing but silence and uneasiness.

 

"Umm... I'll just go out and get a cookie bag."

 

Quickly, Jeno ran off to the door, not allowing the girl to drag him back. She could feel the boy squint at her from a distance.

 

"So this is what he meant by cookies weren't enough."

 

She whispered to herself and fortunately, the boy didn't hear. He made himself feel at home and sat on a stool near the counter.

 

"Jeno told me he needed help with baking. But I think," he looked at the tray set in front of him, "you're all good."

 

Sehyun slowly nodded, gulping nervously in the process. It would be impossible to be composed in this situation. Especially because the one and only Huang Renjun was in front of her.

 

"I don't think he meant by baking cookies."

 

She said cautiously, carefully speaking with a softer tone than she had with Jeno. Renjun furrowed his eyebrows.

 

"As usual, you're weird."

 

He shook his head and put his face nearer to the tray, allowing his sense of smell to be filled with it. He nodded in approval.

 

"It may sound weird, the way he put it, but I think I may need help in," she inhaled and he focused on her, "baking my words."

 

Renjun chuckled. Sehyun awkwardly smiled with him. Maybe the reason why she and Jeno get along so well was because they had the same way of thinking, he thought.

 

"Baking your words, huh."

 

At first, Renjun thought that Jeno purposely dragged him into this because he developed some sort of unwanted feelings towards Sehyun. Being a peacemaker Jeno is, he wanted things to be resolved. But he was wrong.

 

"I'm actually the only person who could help you with that."

 

"Really?"

 

"I'm member of the broadcasting club, remember? You'll have to trust me this once."

 

"I do trust you."

 

"I'll try to believe that."

 

Sehyun continued to stare at the floor. Once more, silence enveloped them. It would be a lie if Sehyun said she wasn't uncomfortable. Same goes with Renjun. They exchanged words but he still, at that moment, had that sense of hatred towards her.

 

"Where do we start?"

 

She suddenly asked and Renjun didn't look up at her. He fiddled with the chopsticks placed on the counter, not paying her any attention. Then, he looked up.

 

"I don't think I can do this, Sehyun."

 

He smiled painfully. His eyes looked cloudy and Sehyun could feel that. She nodded, her heart about to bounce off her chest because of nervousness.

 

Renjun stood up, let go of the chopsticks and head straight for the door. It was probably about time for Jeno to return therefore he didn't feel sorry about leaving her there.

 

"Why do you hate me?"

 

He stopped and turned around to face the femlae who mustered up her courage to ask a question which had an obvious answer.