T W E N T I E T H

𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝’𝚜 𝚊 𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙?

— present
Winter

"Mark's a hell of an idiot."

 

Only two days were left before the play was to commence. It was this time of the year when the students started focusing on the preparation of the event rather than their studies. Thus, the students had more time for everything.

 

Jaemin stared at Donghyuck after he made such a sudden remark. After all the chances he could've talked about it, it had to be now.

 

"Are you talking about...?"

 

"And Jeno's not even far from different. A level lower, probably? Nah, they're the same."

 

"Huh?"

 

Donghyuck usually wouldn't bring up a recent topic among them if nothing wrong had happened. Jaemin knew very well that something wasn't in it's proper place.

 

"Sehyun's the female lead, your acting's been praised a lot, we've got nearly not a single test or homework..."

 

Jaemin started counting all the good things that have been upon Donghyuck. He snapped his fingers as he realized what it was. Or so he thought.

 

"Renjun! No, it couldn't be, Renjun still hates her and you're fine with that..."

 

"It's easy to say 'Donghyuck, what happened?' you know? Gosh, you've become an idiot as well."

 

Jaemin glared at him and he glared back. Donghyuck mentally fought with him and he did so, too. Jaemin sighed.

 

"Okay, then, what's wrong?"

 

"Sehyun's still not noticing me."

 

"Still? What do you mean?"

 

Jaemin had a plausible talent of easily forgetting things but Donghyuck understood since being a stage play director wasn't an easy task. Donghyuck slightly chuckled.

 

"You forgot? Well, anyway, last week I'm pretty sure you were one of the people she chose to completely ignore."

 

The forgetful lad only repeatedly blinked his eyes. Donghyuck rolled his eyes at Jaemin's failure to recall what had happened just last week.

 

"Oh yeah..." he said after a short while, "but she called me in the evening and told me she was okay."

 

Donghyuck widened his eyes in disbelief. He was left behind. Then, the young female they had been talking about appeared, entering their classroom.

 

"Sehyun!"

 

Donghyuck called out yet received no response once more. She walked straight inside, not sparing the two boys a glance.

 

She sat down and the two looked at her from afar. Jaemin pulled Donghyuck to her yet he decided to go to his chair instead. Jaemin stared at him and he only gestured Jaemin to go to her.

 

"Hey, Sehyun."

 

"Is there a problem?"

 

Sehyun said coldly as Jaemin approached her. Jaemin thought for a while, carefully picking out his words in order to make the mood correct.

 

"Nothing, umm..." he quietly sat down on the seat beside her, "can I ask you something?"

 

She nodded in response. Sehyun scribbled in her notebook, distracting herself so that she wouldn't have the need to look at the man beside her.

 

"Are you and Donghyuck umm... alright?"

 

She stopped whatever she was doing and slowly looked up to her front. Her eyes stared blankly at the view in front. She sighed.

 

First, she looked at Jaemin and then she moved her head to look at the seats behind her. She saw Donghyuck, nervously staring at them with his hands clasped.

 

Sehyun stood up and walked out the room. Jaemin was about to chase after her but Donghyuck had already started running after her. Jaemin stood there, anxious.

 

"Sehyun!"

 

Donghyuck called out as she hurriedly tried to go to some place where no one would see her. Now wasn't a great time for her to talk to people.

 

"Sehyun..."

 

Donghyuck appeared in front of her causing her to abruptly stop. He said, panting after chasing after her.

 

"Please, tell me what's wrong."

 

Sehyun couldn't look at him in the eye. Her eyes were stuck to the floor, focusing on anything but him. He held her hand but she immediately pulled it away.

 

"Donghyuck," she said, "now isn't a good time."

 

"Then when? When..."

 

He deeply sighed in frustration. He wasn't mad at Sehyun, no. He was mad at what it was he did to her without his knowledge.

 

"I'll tell you everything after the play. The play's the most important thing right now."

 

"But you're important to me!"

 

She shook her head.

 

"I'm sorry, Donghyuck."

 

Just like that, Sehyun patted his shoulder and walked away. As the sound of her footsteps faded, Donghyuck turned around to look at her backview fading as well. Little did he know that her tears were welling up.

 

"Hey, Hyuck!"

 

He heard his friend's voice from behind. He turned his head and the owner of the voice put his arm on Donghyuck's shoulder.

 

"Hey."

 

Jeno smiled at him and he squinted to see what Donghyuck was looking at. It was a familiar figure to him and so he asked,

 

"Are you and Sehyun good now?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

It was surprising for Donghyuck for Jeno to know what was currently happening in between them but he remembered. Jeno once knew Sehyun better than anyone.

 

"Everytime we finish practicing, you two look like you've never known each other. Ehey, don't think I don't know you well, huh?"

 

Donghyuck forced out a laugh and faced Jeno. He gave him a sharp look which sent shivers down Jeno's spine.

 

"What," Jeno asked nervously, "what's wrong Donghyuck?"

 

"Nothing. I'll get going."

 

He sighed and slapped Jeno's back. Something was wrong and Jeno wasn't mistaken.

 

"Does he know?"

 

He whispered to himself. Donghyuck walked his way towards their classroom, thinking about Sehyun in his every step. Could Jeno be the problem why she's acting like this?

 

He couldn't understand as well. Was she bothered about almost being partnered with Jeno? Jeno, Jeno, Jeno.

 

"Why does it have to be him of all people..."