Learn to Surf

Toulouse: The City of Refuge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You can’t stop the wave, but you can learn to surf.”

French Vocabs:

1 La sage-femme: midwife (literally: wise woman),

2 Je chuis pas sourde (informal): I’m not deaf.

 

Amber basked in the wonder of motherhood. It was like the pain she experienced the whole night was forgotten. I took more photos than I thought I was supposed to. I didn't know why, but I felt so happy now that I'm an uncle, although it makes me sound so old.   After the sage-femme1 orientated Amber to the ward and we were settled in Room 8, Yuri went to give handover to her. It was a twin room, but the other side didn’t have anyone. I didn’t realise that the Birth Centre was connected to a hospital; still, I found it pretty cool since I had never been to such a place.   I stayed with Amber and took more photos of the baby with my phone. Oh right!   “Have you decided on the name yet, Amber?”   We were discussing it earlier and Amber said she wanted to think about it.   Amber gazed at her baby in the cot and asked me back, “Has Myung Soo ever told you what he wants to name his kids?”   I gave her an apologetic look and hummed softly. “Umm... I don't think we ever talk about that, Amber.”   She stared at the sleeping little cutie again and said, “Ok. It's set then.” I looked up to her expectantly. “Paris.”   “Paris? That sounds so classy!” I chuckled, but then something came to me. “Are you naming her after the city she was conceived at?”   Amber went red furiously and scolded me for thinking that way. She then explained that Paris is the city she and L both love. Eh... Isn’t that the same thing as the city where they first met, first “made love”, first dated, and first conceived? Though, I didn't go on about it since I wanted to give her a break after her tiring labour.   Paris nuzzled her nose into the side of her wrapper and pursed her lips while her eyes remained shut. She grimaced and a moment later, a weak cry broke out. Amber grabbed the cot gently to take a look. The cry subsided as soon as it came.   I sat the visitor's seat at the corner of the room to make a call to Hyun Ah. I wanted to share the news to someone and the first person that came to mind was her. I waited for her to line to be connected and after a few tones, she answered, "Yeboseyo?"   “Hyun Ah!”   “Oppa!” she sounded so exhausted.   I wanted to ask why, but before I knew it, I already blurted out the happy news to her. "Guess what?! You’re an Aunty now! And I’m an Uncle!" The muscles on my cheeks ached from smiling too much, not only for Paris’ birth, but also hearing Hyun Ah’s voice again after last night.   “What are you talking about?” she inquired in confusion.   I cleared my throat and made my voice serious. “I’ve got something to tell you, but you better promise me not to tell Appa.” Once I received her assurance, I continued, “I’m back in France. I’m in Toulouse now and I found Amber,” I paused before breaking the bigger news, “and she just had a baby.”   “She what?” Hyun Ah snarled in surprise. Not that I blame her. “I thought she was…”   “Yeah, I know. I’m sorry, I lied. They planned to escape to Toulouse and I couldn’t tell you, but now that L’s missing, I really have no choice but to tell you that…” I hesitated, taking a glimpse at Amber who took Paris out of the cot since she started crying. “Can you hear the baby crying?”   “Yes, I could hear the baby crying, you don’t have to keep telling me! Je chuis pas sourde!2” she hissed. I believed she must be peeved discovering that L and Amber had a baby, even I cannot believe this although I was a witness myself. I really wanted to tell her to move on, but I knew she wouldn’t listen to me.   “Yeah, the baby was born this morning at six forty. She’s so cute, Hyun Ah. You’ve got to see her. I think she looks like L, but the midwife said their appearance can change after the first day. Oh and Amber decided to name her Paris,” I rambled on.   “Well, tell her I said congratulations,” she sounded tensed, but sincere in her message. Nevertheless, I knew she now had no choice but to accept reality.   “Amber, Hyun Ah said congratulations.”   As Amber held her baby in her arm and patted Paris’ lower back in a steady, soothing rhythm, she replied, “Tell Hyun Ah I said thanks.”   “Hear that? Amber said thank you.” Amber smiled as I passed on the message and went back to look at the unsettled newborn. “How’s Korea? Have you seen L?” Amber looked up in anticipation as I waited for Hyun Ah to answer.   “No, I haven’t seen him. I’m here to finish my study remember?” Hyun Ah sounded annoyed, but tried to hold her voice steady.   I sighed and Amber received the message. Her face fell and she looked back to Paris. “I see. Do you want to see the baby photos?”   “Oui, send me the photo. I want to see it.”

 

∞∞∞

 

Min Ho took his children to visit Amber and Paris after Alice came home from school. Alice was intrigued at the sight of the baby and was rooted to the side of the cot, watching the little one. Jaden was asleep in Min Ho’s arms. Earlier, Yuri had asked Amber what she thought of the labour and birth. Amber’s eyes were composed, but they gave Yuri a look I couldn’t describe. She said it was alright, but contraction pains were unbearable. I had to laugh when Yuri made a remark, “Told you the was better.”   Min Ho and I retreated outside for a men’s talk as Yuri helped Amber with feeding. To be honest, the idea of feeding is odd to hear because France has the lowest feeding rate in the world; as they say, “Your is for your husband, not your baby.”
Min Ho scoffed when I raised my eyebrow at the idea. “If you read Yuri’s midwifery textbooks and research about feeding, it’s really good for the baby’s growth and development.” Yuri was trained in England before she moved to France with Min Ho, hence the differences between her and the French's views.   “And…” I cautiously narrowed my eyes at him. “You don’t mind sharing her s with Alice and Jaden?”   He smacked my head hard and I cried out in pain, earning looks from the visitors walking through the corridor. I glared at him and cursed. It was just an innocent little question.   “It’s a primitive thing, I don’t get why people keep seeing it as a ual matter.” He scrunched up his face at the idea.   Apparently, this maternity unit Yuri works in has written a petition to the French government to implement the baby friendly policy where feeding is encouraged as the main method of feeding. As a completely objective third party observer with absolutely no personal interest in the matter, I decided not to discuss the topic any further. It was none of my business anyway. Though, I wondered how the public would react if they see any woman feeding before their eyes.   Min Ho decided to change the topic first. “So, how was it?” he asked with a smug smile plastered on his face. It didn’t take me a second to realise that the bastard was talking about the labour and birth.   “Thanks for the emotional support,” I retorted, full of sarcasm.   “You’re welcome,” he replied, playing along, and I scoffed in distaste. “No, really, what do you think about it?”   I crossed my arms and leaned back on the wall. I watched family members piling in with balloons, flower, chocolates, and soft toys for the mothers who just had their baby. I felt sad that Amber only received a card written by the Choi kids and nappies brought by Min Ho.   I shrugged when Min Ho turned to me. “I don’t know. It was definitely something. I think my respect for the female reproductive system has definitely soared. I cannot believe a three kilos thing came out of her.”   He chuckled. “Did you look? Did you touch the head?”   I stared at him in bewilderment; I probably looked so comical since Min Ho’s laughter burst out in the corridor. “It’s not meant to be funny!” I snapped.   “Don’t worry. I understand,” he said after his laughter died out, “L would kill you if you look anywhere other than her face.”   I glared at him. “In case you don’t know, Amber had a water birth.” As soon as I said it, regret came.   Min Ho faced me with raised eyebrows and this indescribable look. “Oh,” he said, “so you saw other things.”   “Shut up!” I barked, looking away, heat spreading all over my face.   He shrugged casually. “It’s labour, Yeol. Don’t worry about it. It’s meant to be like that. It could be a medical student or a midwifery student, it could be anyone, so don’t feel bad for being there. I’m sure you were a great support
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter