Meetings, Feelings, Pining, Moving On pt.2

Dumb and Dumber
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Meetings, Feelings, Pining, Moving On pt.2

REQ: Coming of age story

(Minju was 18 and about to start her 1st year in college, when she realized that maybe she missed the older girl much more than she thought of.)

It was the moving day for Minju, her first day of freedom – of officially going to college. Minju managed to get into SNU but Chaeyeon would not be with her since the girl wanted to focus on dancing. With that said, Minju would have a different roommate and she just hopes it would be someone she can get along with.

One thing she regrets is the fact that she brought too many things in her dorm, she’s not even sure if it would fit in there. But that’s a question for another day because she needs to get her things inside first. She has been knocking multiple times on the door and her said roommate is not responding.

“Is she even here?” Minju whispers to herself, her arms aching from all the carrying she did. She knocks again three times and when she heard some shuffling inside, she exhales and carried 4 boxes at the same time.

She heard the door opening and she was about to enter when she felt her roommate grabbing the boxes to help her, before she can thank her the said roommate is already walking away from where Minju thinks is her own room. Minju will just thank her later and was about to go and get some boxes again when she didn’t notice something – or really, she just tipped on nothing.

Because all she could feel was her falling and she didn’t even do anything to stop her fall, she just closes her eyes waiting for her face to kiss the ground, painfully. Then out of nowhere, she could feel someone grabbing her and pulling her from her fall.

Minju breathes out and she could feel a sense of dejavu with what happened, she’s too busy composing herself that she could only hear the ‘okay’ from her roommate. But she assumes that the girl is asking her if she’s okay.

“Yes, thank you.” She quietly said, embarrassed from her clumsiness.

Minju then looks up to see her roommates face and was surprised to see a familiar face – a very familiar face that she missed. She couldn’t contain herself but to shout the person’s name.

“Hyewon-unnie?!” Without waiting for a reply, she hugged the older girl tightly. Maybe life happened between them, with Minju being busy with her last year in high school and to add to that being in a relationship while Hyewon has her responsibilities as a college student. But Minju didn’t realize how much she missed the girl until now.

“Hey, long time no see.” Minju pulls away when she heard the older girl greeting her softly, she smiles at Hyewon and she noticed how much she changed – but still the same warm eyes. Before she can answer they heard a knock on the door. Minju looks to the direction to see a tall girl with a slightly tanned skin, she does not know the girl.

“Tzuyu, hey. Come in.”

Minju looks at Hyewon and she could see that the girl is familiar with the visitor, well of course it would be Hyewon’s friend – Minju is just starting, why did she expect someone to just barge in their dorm? Minju just watches how the tall girl walks over her boxes, and now that she is closer, Minju is blown away by her beauty.

She watches how the girl smiled at Hyewon, asking her something. Minju felt left out from the two but then when she saw Hyewon looking and pointing at her she quickly stands up straight.

“This is Minju, my roommate.” Hyewon introduced her and Minju smiles at the other girl, bowing slightly. Minju sees Tzuyu staring at Hyewon for a moment before looking at her.

“Hey, I’m Tzuyu. Nice to meet you.”

Minju smiles at the new girl and she sees Hyewon pulling the former, she could hear the latter talking about how they need to help Minju to carry her things. Minju widens her eyes and was about to protest when Hyewon quickly shushed her, she then looks at Tzuyu to see the girl smiling at her and nodding her head as if saying it was okay.

Minju watches the two picking up some of her boxes and when she saw smiling at her she immediately moved to help them. Hyewon is still the same as before, ever the helpful person she is – the reason why Minju got close to her.

Minju surprisingly really got comfortable with the older girl, even Chaeyeon noticed it and was surprised. But Minju could not explain it herself, she just found the older girl really comfortable to be with.

When all the boxes are moved inside, Minju thanked the two and they left her inside the room. She looked around and shakes her head, now trying to think how to do her room with all of her things. She just decided to put out some clothes first before cleaning and fixing her room.

While she was doing her thing, Minju could not help but to laugh at what happened earlier – it really reminds her how she and Hyewon met the first time. Minju could never forget that day, she almost tripped on her first day and in front of an upperclassman. It was just her lucky day that Hyewon is really helpful and a great person or else, she would have humiliated herself.

Minju the noticed that she’s almost finished, with that she decided to go out of her room hoping to properly thank the two girls that helped her – it’s not easy to carry boxes, Minju could still feel the dull ache on her arms.

She goes out of her room stepping over some boxes and she sees the two older girls talking in the kitchen. Minju then sees Hyewon smiling at her and she returns it back, seeing the older girl approaching her she raises her eyebrows in question.

“Hey, I’ll be out for a moment.” Hyewon said and Minju nods her head, assuming that that’s the reason why Tzuyu went their apartment in the first place.

“Where are you going?”

She then laughs at the teasing that the older girl made earning Hyewon a glare from Tzuyu. Minju could tell that they are really close – Hyewon jokes around with her just like when she is with Yena. “You sure you can handle your things?”

Minju feels warm at the question, Hyewon always think about her and never fails to ask her about these things. Maybe that’s why she couldn’t help herself when she answered the older girl the first thing she wants to say.

“I’m really lucky to have you as a roommate.”

“Well then, just give me a text or a call when you need help, okay?”

Minju smiles and nods her head at the question, she then walks behind the two and when they are about to go out, Minju thanked Tzuyu for her help. “Thank you for helping Tzuyu-unnie.”

She hears the taller girl scoffing and she laughed at what Tzuyu said, earning a nudge from Hyewon.

“Don’t mind her Minju, she’s just a savage like that.”

Minju smiles at the two with Hyewon waving at her and pushing Tzuyu to start walking, she watches the older girls walking away. Minju feels herself feeling light with the fact that she’s roommate with Hyewon, and seeing that the older girl is having a good time in college – she just hopes that she’ll experience the same.

Minju frowns when she sees Hyewon stopping and looking over behind her back, she sees the older girl looking at her then running back. Minju looks at her in confusion, about to ask the older girl when she was suddenly pulled into a hug. This is the first hug that Hyewon initiated after months of not seeing each other, and Minju does not know why she’s feeling funny – they have done this a million of times before.

Her mind went fuzzy when she heard the older girl whispering words to her, “I missed you. Just want you to know that.”

Hyewon then pulls away from the hug and the only thing that Minju can do is to stare at the latter. Minju is feeling warm all over her body, she knows she missed the older girl for not seeing her for months. She then felt her cheeks being pinched and that’s when she managed to smile at the older girl.

The smile that Minju found herself doing every time Hyewon says things to her that makes her happy.

“I missed you too.”

Minju sees the older girl smiling and she just lets her to pull her back in a hug before running over again to Tzuyu. She watches the two of them like earlier, but right now, Minju is realizing things. She sees Hyewon looking back at her and giving her a wave, Minju laughs at the silliness of the older girl.

Minju enters their dorm once the two are out of sight, she smiles to herself walking into the living room. Minju bits her lips and takes a deep breath, walking to her room she glances at the other room – Hyewon’s room.

Remembering how warm the older girl’s body was earlier, and just like when she transferred – Hyewon helped her again in college. The latter really just gives Minju a sense of safety in new environment, like a –

Minju was 18 and about to start her 1st year in college, when she thinks that maybe Hyewon is her guardian angel.

 

-

 

Minju made the right fix to her room the day after with Hyewon helping her, she didn’t really ask the older girl to help but she just saw Hyewon inside her room waiting for her that day. Minju didn’t have time to refuse because when Hyewon saw her she immediately started unpacking the boxes.

“You seriously didn’t have to help me.” Minju said after a few hours of unpacking, the two of them still haven’t had lunch as they were too busy to finish the job. She wipes the sweat on her forehead and looks at the older girl.

Hyewon was sitting on the ground, playing with some boxes like a kid. Exhaustion is very much evident in her face. “Yeah, but I wanted to. I don’t have anything to do anyway.”

Minju smiles at the older girl and looks at the box near her, she opens it and found the pictures that she decided to bring – for memories and sentiments. Minju grabs the frames and a few pictures putting it on her bed and spreading it around. She then heard Hyewon standing up from the ground looking all over the pictures.

The pictures are just Minju’s memories with Chaeyeon and her sister, most of it are from high school – with Hyewon, Yena, and Sakura. Some of it contains the one with Chaewon, she still wants to cherish the memories she with the girl anyway.

She watches the older girl as she picks up one picture, Minju looks at it and realizes what picture it was and quickly snatches it away. Hyewon looks at her with surprise and laughs at her that made Minju blush. It was just the picture of them during the older girl’s graduation, with Hyewon hugging her from behind – it holds a special place in Minju.

“Don’t be shy.” Hyewon teases the younger girl, “To be fair, I also brought my copy with me. It’s in my room.”

Minju blushes at the older girl’s words, she didn’t know that Hyewon also brought her copy. She then remembers that during her graduation, Hyewon was not there – well it was not like they kept in touch during that time, maybe they just really got carried away with their own life and responsibilities. But remembering it now, it gives a wave of disappointment to the younger girl.

“It’s just,” Minju trails off, “My favorite picture of us.” She doesn’t know why she said it, but she did – and she means it. When the picture was given to her through mail, Minju remembers how happy she was when she received it – the smile on their faces are evidences that they were very much happy that day.

She then looks up only to see Hyewon staring at her with her soft and warm eyes – just like how she always stares at Minju when they were together, no judgment and all. Minju stares back at Hyewon and her breath hitched at what the older girl said.

“It’s mine too.” Hyewon said with a smile, “It’s my favorite picture out of all the pictures taken that day.”

Minju watches the older girl walking away and picking up the empty boxes, saying that she’ll just put it away. Minju watches the older and when Hyewon is out of her room, she could suddenly breathe properly. Was Hyewon really this caring before?

Minju shakes head to get out of her thoughts, she looks around and proud of herself and Hyewon to do much work in a few hours. She glances at the pictures beside her and grabs the photo of her and Hyewon, she smiles to herself. Maybe they could be like before when they were in high school. That’s one of the best things that happened in her stay there. Meeting and befriending the older girl.

“Minju!”

Minju looks up to see Hyewon’s head peeking through the opened door, a phone in her hand as she chews on some Peppero stick. “Chinese or pizza? For lunch.”

Minju thinks about it and feels herself craving for the former. “Chinese.” She then watches Hyewon grin, dialing what she assumes a number for a restaurant.

“Great answer Kim Minju.” Hyewon said before finishing her Peppero and putting her phone beside her ear as her call was accepted.

Minju just watches the older girl leave and she could hear her voice ordering, she just shrugs her shoulders – she trusts Hyewon to order for them two. Minju trusts the older girl enough for her to let the latter order her food, she knows how Hyewon gets with food. She then started to unpack other boxes and sees Hyewon entering again holding out a Peppero to her.

“Open up,” Hyewon said and puts the stick inside Minju’s mouth, “An energy booster before our food arrives.” She grins and immediately went back into helping.

Maybe Minju and Hyewon could go back like before and compensate for all the lost time they had.

 

-

 

Minju has three days before her first day as a college freshman and since she moved, she has been fixing her things with the help of Hyewon. Now satisfied with the look of her room and everything all in place, Minju is alone in their dorm – the older girl saying that she needs to do something.

But it has been hours since Hyewon left their dorm, and the latter still has not returned. Minju should not worry she knows that, but that won’t stop her though. Grabbing her phone, she quickly sent a text to Hyewon hoping for a reply.

Hey, you’ve been out for hours. I hope you’re okay.

Minju

In an instant she got a reply, but Minju frowns while she reads it – it’s too vague for her to know what’s actually happening with the older girl.

I will be.

Hyewon

Minju was about to type a reply when she received another one saying that Hyewon won’t be using her phone now. Minju’s worry doubles with that, but she does not know if she can text or call the older girl. She takes a deep breath to relax herself, she decides to contact the older girl after an hour if she doesn’t get any update on the latter.

It’s not like she should actually worry, between her and Hyewon, Minju is sure that she would be much more in trouble than the latter because of her clumsiness. Hyewon is one of the most responsible people she ever met – Minju is just really a worry wart.

Minju decided to just watch anything showing at the moment, trying to stray her mind off from her older roommate. Which was successful since she really got into the movie of whatever she’s watching, then out of nowhere she could hear keys jiggling outside making her perk up. She quickly stands up to welcome Hyewon – she already assumed it was the older girl because they are the only one who have keys for their dorm.

She’s a few steps away from the door which she was grateful because the door was suddenly kicked open, and she could hear familiar screams coming outside. Minju looks at the people outside, apparently Hyewon didn’t come alone – she’s with Sakura, Yena, and Chaeyeon. She looks for her roommate to see Hyewon holding a cake with a big smile.

“Minju!” She was quickly tackled with a hug by Yena, and she should have expected that Chaeyeon and Sakura would follow. The impact made her really stumble backward – at least now she has a reason why she lost her balance.

“Look at you being a college student now!” Sakura said ruffling her hair.

“I missed you!” Chaeyeon said as she pinches Minju’s cheeks.

Minju just returns the hug even though it was a struggle, she looks behind to see Hyewon closing the door. The three girls then pulled away giving Minju time to breathe properly, that’s the only time she noticed the other things they brought. She could see take-outs and some drinks, Minju raises her eyebrows in question.

Chaeyeon saw this and smiled, “Kwangbae thought to surprise you.” She says nodding her head over to the direction of the older girl, “She just called me out of nowhere to get this done.”

Minju looks at the older girl who is already walking over her, cake still in hand. She could see Hyewon smiling at her and the older girl ruffled her hair slightly, “For old time’s sake.” With that said Hyewon told Yena to setup the movie and Sakura followed Hyewon to the kitchen.

Minju was pulled by Chaeyeon to go sit at the couch and talk to each other – to catch up, even though they just talked last night on the phone. Chaeyeon is very much excited to start her class, already expecting it would be fun. Minju cannot say the same to hers – she’s very much nervous, not having Chaeyeon by her side.

She just managed to get friends because Chaeyeon was very social, at the same time she just became lucky that she fell in front of Hyewon – the upperclassman who helped her during the first day. If she thinks about it, Minju just had a few friends during her stay in high school.

“I don’t even know how I can make some friends.” Minju says to Chaeyeon, leaning her back on the couch and watches Yena picking some movies. The older girl seemed to heard it and looks at them, and quickly went over to their place.

“You don’t have to; everyone is starting afresh in college.” Yena said and waves in the general direction of Hyewon, “Look at Kwangbae, she managed to make some friends despite being like that.”

“I heard that!”

The three of them laughed at the shout of the said girl, Chaeyeon then smiles at Minju. “You’re really lucky to have her as a roommate.”

Minju glances at the kitchen and she could see Hyewon placing some food on some paper plates while laughing together with Sakura. “I am.”

Just then, Yena stood up and went to the kitchen. Chaeyeon and Minju just looks at her weirdly but then went straight into talking again, not minding the older girl – thinking that she just wants to check the foods on the kitchen. But as Chaeyeon is in the middle of her rant of having a number of practices, the two if them suddenly heard music not just any music – a graduation song.

The older girls in the kitchen are now approaching them, a song coming from Sakura’s phone and Yena quickly running over to them to put something on their head – makeshift graduation cap. She and Chaeyeon could not help but to laugh at the silliness. Minju then looks at Hyewon, holding the cake with a written ‘happy graduation SORT OF’ on the middle.

“Blow the candle!” Sakura said, pushing her and Chaeyeon slightly, “The candles are melting, come on!” The two of them did as what they are told, Hyewon smiling widely at her. Chaeyeon is being pestered by Yena already, trying to put an icing on the former’s face.

“Happy graduation Minju!” Hyewon said to Minju, making her smile slightly – feeling really touched by the gesture. “I realized I missed your graduation so, I wanted to make up for it.”

Minju would have hugged the older girl if not for the cake in between them instead, she swiped some icing off the cake and put it on the older girl’s nose. “You didn’t have to, but thank you. Really.”

“Okay, I’ll let you off this time.” Hyewon said jokingly, “I’ll just put this in the fridge and you guys have fun.” The older girl then started to walk away, just like that Sakura quickly followed the latter and picked up the other foods for their movie marathon. Minju laughs at Chaeyeon’s face full of icing, she lets the girl go to wash her face first.

Minju glances at Hyewon on the kitchen, doing the same of washing the icing off her face. She smiles at the older girl – she knows she said it a thousand of times already but she really is lucky to have Hyewon as a roommate.

 

Just like what Hyewon said, they had a movie marathon for old time’s sake – unlike before where she and Hyewon were answering some work last time, now they are all watching peacefully. Since official classes have not started yet, they are all free of their responsibilities – a very short-lived freedom before entering college.

As they are watching their 3rd movie that day – Before Me and You, a tear-jerker one if they actually watched it because since the movie started which was requested by Chaeyeon, Yena kept whining about how it’s not suitable for group of friends to watch a romantic movie.

It then changed to the three of the older girls sharing stories about their first year in college – with Sakura being shocked with the work load especially with her course, a major headache she said. Yena on the other hand was not shock but she was very much disappointed to the amount of times she needs to read books – a very funny image to think about, especially with how she was in high school.

But what surprised them was with how Hyewon made friends – though the only constants are Tzuyu and Chaeyoung, which Minju has not met yet except for Tzuyu. Yena kept teasing Hyewon for making the first move to befriend them, but that was not the one that shocked Minju. It was the fact that Hyewon shared some stories of her partying with the two girls – she didn’t peg the older girl to be the partying type, but she explained that it only happens when they are in the mood. It was Chaeyoung that introduced it to them.

Hearing her stories was really surprising because during their high school days, Hyewon was the one who hates going to crowded places – the responsible one between the three older girls. Minju now wants to meet the two girls that managed to get Hyewon out of her shell.

“After this day, we would be slapped by reality.” Yena groans out and receives a pillow to her face. Sakura just threw a pillow at her making the other girls laugh.

“Not a nice reminder for a very great time.” The Japanese whined, “I’m not ready yet, I know I would be stressed out again.”

Hyewon laughs at the two and grabs some chicken to munch on, “Okay, let’s change the movie and not scare the two girls here.” She then looks at Chaeyeon and Minju.

“I promise it’s not that scary, they’re just being dramatic.” Then Hyewon oofed because two pillows were thrown at her at the same time by Sakura and Yena.

“That’s because you got your together!” Sakura shouts, while Yena looks at Chaeyeon and Minju while pointing at Hyewon.

“I don’t know how, but she manages to survive this hole.”

Chaeyeon then nudged Minju making the latter look at he friend, “I’m really excited and scared at the same time. New life and new friends.”

Minju smiles leaning her head on the girl’s shoulders, “We’ll do good.” She then looks at the older girls, Yena picking another movie – finally, while Sakura is scrolling through her phone. Her eyes then went to Hyewon, the latter busy looking for a piece of chicken and then she suddenly looked up catching Minju’s eye.

Minju didn’t know but her heart stuttered when the older girl grinned at her, she returns a smile and Hyewon went back to her chicken. Minju realizes how time has passed and she remembers how they all spend time like this before but without much worry of what would happen in their lives.

They basically have the same responsibilities before but now, they are all separate with their different paths – different majors and universities. Chaeyeon pursuing dance, Yena surprisingly how much she whines about her major is still hanging on with her course, and Sakura all happy and stressed with her Game Development major.

When Yena chose a new movie – Toy Story 3, acceptable but still a tear-jerker if you’re a child at heart. The five of them watched the movie, the foods slowly decreasing as the movie progresses.

After the movie they called it a day as Chaeyeon still has a ride to catch but before she left, she asked if she can see Minju’s room which the latter happily agreed to. The two of them are inside the said room, Chaeyeon looking around and flopping herself on the very well-made bed. Minju chuckles and followed the girl on the bed.

“I’ll miss us, you know?” Chaeyeon said breaking the comfortable silence, “I’ll miss always having someone I’ll drag or follow me behind.” She jokes earning a light slap from Minju.

“Here I thought you’re going to be sweet.”

But the girl is not lying though, Minju would always get dragged by the girl to go out of their room or she will always follow Chaeyeon. If it not for that coincidental meeting at the vending machine with Hyewon, Minju would not go out of their room willingly. It’s funny how much Hyewon did so much for her without the older girl noticing.

Chaeyeon laughs at the story they are reminiscing and as the laughter died down, the two of them sighed. “What are the odds?”

Minju looks at the girl in confusion, “What do you mean?”

“For you to be roommates with Kwangbae.”

Minju chuckles because the question is really one of the questions she asks herself since she moved in and it always have one answer, “I don’t know, but I’m happy that it’s Hyewon-unnie.” She said quietly and Chaeyeon looks at her – and Minju could not pinpoint what’s with her at that time, and as she was about to ask about it, Chaeyeon suddenly sat up.

“Let’s meet up with each other, when we have time okay?” Chaeyeon asked and Minju nodded at the girl.

“Of course, don’t you dare forget about me.” She squints at the girl who laughs and answered with an ‘of course’. Then Chaeyeon gave her that look again and Minju just could not understand what’s the look is trying to send.

“You can tell me anything, okay? Like anything.” Chaeyeon then continued, “May it be about school stuff, friends.” She paused and smiled slightly.

“Or love. Just anything, I’m your friend and you can always run to me.”

Minju smiles at Chaeyeon, hugging the girl – she would surely miss how she would have the girl an arm’s reach only. Now they are a ride away, it’s not much compared to others, but still – it’s something that she needs to get used to.

“Of course, you know you can also do the same.” Minju answers, “I’ll miss you so much.”

“I’ll miss you too.” Chaeyeon pulled away and smile, “Don’t forget what I said, okay? Anything.”

 

-

 

Chaeyeon, Sakura, and Yena left their apartment soon after that, leaving Hyewon and Minju alone. Minju looks around and she could already feel the exhaustion coming from all the cleaning they need to do. Spread around in their living room are boxes of take-outs and used plates and cups. Minju looks beside her to see Hyewon scratching her head with a sheepish smile.

The older girl then looked at her, “I did not think this through.” Minju laughed at the obvious tone of laziness coming from the older girl, without thinking she pulled Hyewon to the living room.

“Come on, this would be fast don’t worry.” Minju said grabbing some huge plastic bag and opening it, Hyewon groans and put one box of take-out in it – Minju smiles at the latter.

“See, wasn’t that hard right?”

Hyewon rolls her eyes but a smile still on her face, “Yeah, tell that to the other mess we made.”

“This would be easy, it’s the two of us working. Come on, unnie.” Minju said and started picking up some garbage. She wonders how five girls could make this amount of mess, it’s obvious that Hyewon is too lazy to move seeing that she’s sitting on the couch while she picks up things from the ground.

The next ten to twenty minutes are spend like that, with just the two of them cleaning up and wiping the table, the only background noise is the sound coming from the television. But it’s not an uncomfortable silence to begin with, it’s just that they need to finish the task they are doing quickly or else they’ll be too tired to even move later.

Now with the clean living room, a very different sight from earlier, Minju and Hyewon are both on the couch – the latter with bottled of water, passing it over to the younger girl. Minju accepts it gratefully and took gulps from it, they should never have another movie marathon here in their dorm – the cleaning task is really hard.

“I didn’t know that it would be this hard.” Hyewon said out loud, stretching her legs and arms, they could hear a few bones cracking. Minju laughs at the older girl, closing the bottled water – now empty.

“I didn’t know that we are this messy.” She said as she points to the huge garbage bag on the side to be taken out later.

“Imagine the days when we had movie marathons,” Hyewon wonders out loud and chuckles, “Yena’s parents must have had a headache with our mess.”

Silence.

Minju then heard Hyewon clearing making her look at the older girl. The latter talked without her glancing at Minju. “Do you remember when we first met?”

Minju looks at Hyewon and laughs slightly, of course she remembers the first time they met – it’s not something someone would suddenly forget. “Of course, during our orientation. I almost fell in front of you.”

“Right, I almost looked for you for a whole month you know?”

Minju did remember that Hyewon told her about it when they coincidentally met at the first dance practice of Chaeyeon – it just so happens that Sakura is also a friend of the older girl. She didn’t know that the girl looked for her for a month, and during that month Minju was just cooped inside their room still trying to adjust.

When she said that she only goes out when Chaeyeon asks her to, that’s true. Minju does not have any reason to go out of their room in the first place, so she didn’t really do that much. Her routine during that month was room, restroom if needed, go with Chaeyeon – that’s it.

She looks at the older girl and answered, “You did tell me about it, but I didn’t know it was for a whole month.”

“Well now you know,” Hyewon chuckles, “I wanted to befriend you that time but when I couldn’t see you, I just forget about it well, until we met again.”

“I think we got really close when you saw me kicking the vending machine.” Minju jokes, remembering that day.

Hyewon laughs at the younger girl, “Yeah, imagine my surprise to see someone breaking an innocent machine.” She gives Minju a teasing look and the younger girl groans.

“It didn’t give me my juice!”

“You kicking it won’t help though.” Hyewon points out, “You’re watching too many movies to believe that trick.”

That’s how their conversation went on, with the both of them just sharing stories of their memories together. Minju does not know how much time she spent with the older girl before until now, their stories are never ending – and Minju feels happy hearing it all.

Their first meeting in that vending machine was a coincidence, but she chose to stay during that first time and talk to the older girl. Hyewon just made it easier for her, like she’s talking to someone that she has been friends for years. After that meeting, though they didn’t talk about it, Minju just started to go to that place every time she has a spare.

There would be times that she has to wait for the older girl or vice versa, but they never skipped it – without knowing, it just became their routine. Their tiny vending machine adventures. Chaeyeon asked her one time where she would always go and then she just tells the girl to the vending machine, as if that’s a normal answer.

“Hey Minju,” Hyewon called her making her look at the older girl, she could see a small smile on the girl’s lips. “Sorry for missing your graduation.”

Hyewon then continued, as if that’s not enough. “For stopping going to see you during my free day and during the breaks. I guess, life just happened. You know what I mean?”

Minju looks at the older girl and she knows what Hyewon actually means after all, life also happened to her – it happened when she met Daehwi, and somehow life just happened. A short while for her, but still she remembers that time when it was Sakura’s graduation party. The first time she saw Hyewon again after spending too much time with her boyfriend – she could even barely call it a relationship.

Yes, they did date and hold hands, but it’s different like Minju does not feel right. Maybe it was a long time waiting but when Daehwi said he would be moving to the city it’s like a ticket way out of their relationship. And when she saw Hyewon that night, after all the days she skipped on her usual routine to see the older girl – she realized how she missed the older girl.

Minju did not feel sad due to the break up – well a part of it yes, but that’s not the main reason why. It was because she felt guilty of how she just ditched Hyewon, the person who became her friend and made her feel welcome, just like that. The older girl might not say it at that time, but Minju knows that she was hurt – because if she was in the older girl’s shoes, she would be.

Minju smiles going closer to the older girl and leaning her head on Hyewon’s shoulder, “It’s fine. I’m at fault too, you don’t need to take the blame.”

It’s the truth, Minju doesn’t deny it – the fact that she started to avoid the older girl, when the latter emphasized that she would always be waiting during her free day. The ignored messages coming from Hyewon – it’s basically Minju’s fault. She was having a very hard time during that year, not having Hyewon there just added to it as she does not want to burden the older girl – even though if the latter reassures her that she’s not, Minju still didn’t go to her.

She was confused at that time, meeting Chaewon was unexpected, a new transferee that befriended her out of nowhere – and Minju felt comfortable. Which is why their friendship bloomed into something more, and that confused Minju – because all of her life, she thought she was straight. But Chaewon just came barging into her life, and suddenly everything just changed.

She was scared, a typical reaction of someone being slapped with something hard – she became scared to the point that she could not tell it to Chaeyeon, and even avoid Hyewon. But when she saw Hyewon one day in front of her house, all caught in the act, Minju expected a look of disgust but that’s not what she saw.

Minju could never forget the look that she received from Hyewon that time, how she looks at her softly with understanding – but something bothered her, like there’s an underlying emotion going inside the older girl. Hyewon then talked to her, how it’s acceptable and she should tell it Chaeyeon because her friend is getting worried.

It’s funny how months’ worth of fear is suddenly gone just with simple words – not just simple words, but simple words coming from Hyewon. That’s the push she needed and started to accept herself, Hyewon is all that she needed and maybe she regrets that she didn’t go to the girl much earlier.

“I didn’t do anything to reach out to you too, unnie.” Minju said remembering how she was caught up in her relationship with Chaewon, college applications, and just basically everything. She then sees Hyewon smiling at her, that same smile like she understands everything – and maybe that is true, the older girl always understands her.

“It’s alright, I know how it’s hard to balance everything.” Hyewon said patting Minju’s head softly, “Relationship, college applications, requirements. It’s hard, I know.”

Minju sits up straight and looks at the older girl intently, determination running inside her veins as Hyewon looks at her weirdly, “Now that we’re roommates, I promise I’ll be better than before. I know how you might feel neglected, but I’ll be better now.”

She then sees Hyewon smiling at her warmly, and Minju does not know what’s with Hyewon’s smiles these days but it’s making her feel weird.

“It’s fine, you shouldn’t worry about it,” Hyewon said softly, “You just do good on your first day, and approach me if someone bothers you, okay?”

Minju scoffs at the older girl, “Who would even bother me?” Then she received a look from Hyewon as if she’s asking a silly question.

“Minju, have you seen yourself?” Hyewon said standing up with a laugh, “Everyone would throw themselves at you, I bet my empty bank account.”

“Yeah, then maybe some people threw themselves at you too, huh?” Minju teases earning a light chuckle from Hyewon.

“You do know that I’ve never been in a relationship, right?”

Minju blinks, realizing something and then she heard a loud laugh coming from Hyewon. The girl walking away grabbing the garbage bag, “I’ll put this out, you can go clean yourself Minju.” With that she left.

Minju watches as the door closes and she could hear a click. She slowly stands up from the couch going to the bathroom, cleaning up herself. She’s still in her mind when she went to her room and changed her clothes, laying down on her bed quietly.

She realized that Hyewon never shared something about herself being in a relationship, or having someone at that matter. She just realized it now, as she always thought that the older girl has her fair shares of relationship during her stay here. But hearing the confirmation, something inside Minju just clicked.

Minju was 18 about to start her college journey, when she realized that she doesn’t know much about the older girl as much as she thought she knows.

 

--

 

Minju woke up around 7 in the morning due to her having a morning class, all freshmen have morning classes even Hyewon, Yena, and Sakura had one. She went out of her room not expecting to see Hyewon since the latter’s class won’t start until 10. But she was surprise to see the older girl cooking in the kitchen, as if sensing her presence, Hyewon glanced at her.

“Hey Minju, you should go shower now. This will be finish in a few minutes.” Hyewon said and then flips what seems to be a pancake. Minju shouts an ‘okay’ and went inside to the bathroom to take a shower, getting rid all the sleepiness.

Finishing her shower and changing her clothes, Minju goes out of her room with her bag all the needed things for her classes. She could see the cooked pancakes at the kitchen and Hyewon waiting for her with a smile, Minju walks over and sat down on the chair.

“Doesn’t your class start at 10?” Minju asked getting some syrup and butter for pancakes. She could see Hyewon nodding as she chews on her pancake.

“Yeah, but I know how you must be nervous on your first day. So, I cooked you this.” Hyewon answered gesturing at the small meal in front of them, “It’s not much but you know, just to get rid some of your nervousness.”

Minju smiles widely at Hyewon, “Thank you, unnie.”

Hyewon chuckles saying it’s nothing. Minju watches the older girl for a minute before digging into her own food, she knows that Hyewon is a natural caring person – just with the times she spent with the older girl before. But she never realized how much a caring person she was, maybe being roommates with Hyewon would help Minju to get to know the girl more.

All they did was converse through breakfast mainly with Hyewon giving her useful advices such as not being pressured and taking it easy. Minju of course listens to what the older girl says, about choosing friends properly. After finishing breakfast, Minju went on her class – hugging Hyewon goodbye.

“I’ll see you later.” Minju said as she hugs the older girl, and the latter paused for a minute before hugging Minju back.

“Goodluck on your first day Minju.” Hyewon whispers and softly pats her back. Minju pulls away with a smile and went out of their dorm.

Just as what Hyewon said, when Minju arrived in her first class there were not many students there yet. Slowly, student started coming in and Minju is just sitting in one corner seat, no matter how much she wanted to make friends, her shyness keeps kicking in.

When the professor came in, everyone went quiet and Minju looks around to see that the seat beside her is vacant. It seems like she won’t be making any friends for this class today. The professor then started with his introduction and as he was going through the syllabus, someone quietly but distractingly pulled the chair beside Minju – the professor just gave the person a glance before continuing as if nothing happened.

Minju glances at the guy now seated beside her and was surprised to see him already laying his head on the desk, she is sure that the guy is now sleeping. Minju keeps glancing at the guy then at the professor, but when she realizes that the professor won’t do anything about it, she just shrugs her shoulders. Minju realizes college is very much different from high school.

The basic introduction went on, the professor not even bothering to know his students saying that he’ll be familiarize with them as the year progresses. When the class ended Minju just gathered her things quietly, but was surprised to see the guy beside her already awake and was about to stand up, until he stopped and looked at her.

Minju froze because the guy looks intimidating with his monolid eyes and poker face, then out of nowhere the guy nodded his head at Minju. “Hyunjin, I’ll be your seatmate. Bye.”

That’s all what he said before walking out of the room not sparing another glance at Minju. She could only blink at the now empty seat and thinks that it would be much harder to make friends than what she thought.

Walking to her next class, Minju remembers that Hyewon is also taking up a business course which would mean they would see or bump into each other hear soon. Remembering the older girl, she realized that she forgot to ask the latter’s schedule. She makes a mental note to ask for it later.

Entering her next class was the same as earlier, not many students are in the room. Minju just quietly walks to another corner seat since almost every seat was vacant, and she is not that type of student who would always listen to the discussion. Putting down her things, she just went through her phone to waste time, she decided to send a message to Chaeyeon.

First day .

Minju

First day is brutal.

Chaeyeon

Have any friends yet?

Chaeyeon

Minju scoffs and quickly types a reply.

Are you really asking me that?

Minju

Before she could read the reply, someone took the seat beside Minju making her look up and she did a double take because this girl really looks like the guy – Hyunjin earlier from her previous class. Maybe she has been staring at the girl for too long because the latter suddenly turned to her, and Minju is sure that they really do look alike.

But this girl unlike Hyunjin, smiled at her widely she looks like a cartoon character. Minju thinks that the girl looks approachable and returns the smile with her own.

“Hey, I’m Yeji.” The girl said happily and Minju would be blinded by her smile in this case. “Let’s be friends, I don’t have any friends yet.”

Minju beams at that and nods her head, “I’m Minju, I don’t really have one yet. I don’t know how to approach people.”

“Good thing I decided to sit with you then.” Yeji chuckles.

Minju laughs at the statement because if Yeji didn’t choose to sit beside her, she’s sure that she won’t be having any friends from this class again.

During the whole class, the two of them talked and it seems like they could get along especially since their schedules are almost a like. They have the same next class which made Minju relax since she won’t have a problem for finding new friends.

 

-

 

When Minju thought of bumping or seeing Hyewon in the same building, she didn’t think that it would be in the middle of her third class. She received a message making her conversation with Yeji halt, and she was surprised to see a message from Hyewon.

Look outside.

Hyewon

Minju looked outside and squints her eyes, until she saw the familiar person waving at her – she then sees Hyewon gesturing for her to go outside. Minju remembered how the professor said that they don’t need permission to go out so she just quietly walked away from her seat, gesturing for Yeji to wait who nods at her without any problem.

“Hey, did you make any friends yet?” Hyewon asked her as soon as she closed the door of the room, Minju walks over the older girl and nodded.

“Yeah, the one I’m sitting beside with.” Minju said peeking inside their room and she could see Yeji staring in front, Hyewon did the same to see the said girl. “Her name is Yeji.”

She could see the older girl nodding her head in approval, “She seems good.” Minju could see Hyewon fishing something out of her bag and the older girl holding out something for her – she could not contain her smile when she saw what it was.

“My juice!” Minju said and excitedly grabbed the said drink, hearing a chuckle coming from Hyewon.

“I remembered you when I saw it.” Hyewon said and smiled at Minju, the latter hugging the girl due to the simple gesture. Hyewon laughs patting her back lightly.

“Okay, that’s enough. You still have classes.”

That’s when Minju suddenly remembered her on-going class inside the room, she quickly pulled away and was about to enter the room when she turned around to see Hyewon watching her.

“Hey, send me your schedule. I don’t know it yet.” Minju said to the older girl. Hyewon nods and waves the girl away.

“Sure, you go to your class now. Bye!”

Minju goes back to her seat now with a juice in hand, she smiles at the object and puts it on her table. She looks beside her to see Yeji staring at her and then to the juice with a raised eyebrow. Minju frowns at the girl, “Why?”

Yeji chuckles and shakes her head, glancing outside. “Your girlfriend?”

Minju choked on her saliva, not expecting the question. She shakes her head harshly; the idea sounds so absurd to her. “No, she’s my roommate. We also went to the same high school.”

Yeji slowly nods her head making an ‘oh’ with , smiling sheepishly at Minju. “Sorry, I just thought, I mean you guys really look close.”

Minju shakes her head, “No, she’s just an unnie.” She said quietly. She could see Yeji staring at her from the side of her eye, and the latter nodding her head.

“If you say so.”

Minju decided not to say another word, thankful for the professor for getting their attention about something. But in the remainder of the class, the thought of Hyewon as her girlfriend couldn’t go out of her mind – just because of a stupid question that Yeji asked.

Minju didn’t realize that her heart is abnormally beating faster than it should be.

 

-

 

It has already been 2 weeks since classes started and Minju could slowly feel the college life – professors started giving out work for them to do, readings, and what not. Yeji is the only real friend she got, with the girl having the same schedule as hers. Maybe she could consider Hyunjin as an acquaintance, they talk during class but the guy is mostly sleeping.

In those two weeks, she managed to see Hyewon every time she walks to her next class but the only thing, they can do is to nod to each other to acknowledge their existence. Even though she wants to stop and talk to the older girl, Hyewon is always surrounded by her friends, Tzuyu and Chaeyoung – she still hasn’t met the latter but she realized the smaller girl who has tattoos is her.

The good about this college life is she still gets to see Hyewon despite the differences in their schedule and friends because of the fact that they are roommates. Having the older girl as a roommate is a blessing since she does not forget to take care of Minju – though sometimes Minju feels guilty for Hyewon always cooking for her but the girl keeps on insisting.

Minju does not believe that Hyewon didn’t have a roommate before because the older girl seems really used to it – or maybe that was just her caring nature.

Minju always have an early dismissal on Thursdays, which is why she is on her way to her dorm. Planning to go home for the weekend, she couldn’t do it for the last two weeks because she’s still trying to adjust. But now that she finished all her work, she decided to go there to relax. She misses her parents anyway and their neighborhood.

Entering their dorm, she realized that there are other people inside – she knows that Hyewon also has an early end of class. Minju looks up to see three pairs of eyes staring at her, she smiled at them awkwardly. She could see Hyewon slapping her friends.

“Stop staring at her, you’re scaring her.” She hissed and looks at Minju with a smile, “Hey, they just barged in.”

“It’s alright,” She reassures the older girl and introduced herself, “Hi, I’m Minju.”

“We know.” The girl, who Minju thinks is Chaeyoung answered. “We heard so much about you.” Minju looks at Hyewon who suddenly coughed and she could see Tzuyu nudging the smaller girl.

“I mean, you’re her roommate. So yeah, she talks about you.” Tzuyu said quickly with a smile, Minju nods her head slowly not knowing why they sound so awkward.

Hyewon then suddenly stood up from the chair, “I’ll just go pick up our order.” She then looks at Minju, “We ordered something good for four, so eat with us. Okay?” Without waiting for a reply, she walked out of their dorm.

Minju is left there standing in the living room with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu – two girls that she’s not really close with. Why did Hyewon leave her or why did she not drag these two along with her? Minju is useless to start a conversation, much less to two older girls that she’s not really close.

“Wow, she’s not kidding when she said you have trouble making friends.” Chaeyoung said with a slight laugh, Minju looked down blushing. She didn’t know that Hyewon would share that, she then sees Chaeyoung patting the seat beside her.

Minju could see Tzuyu smiling at her and nodding her head softly, that made her walk over to the two. If Hyewon is friends with them, that means they are similar to the older girl. Minju hopes they can get along; she does not understand it but she just wants to get along with them. Maybe to know more about how Hyewon’s college life is treating her.

“How’s college doing for you?” Chaeyoung asked, “I mean, it’s a bummer for me since the first day.”

“You’re a slacker.” Tzuyu deadpans.

“You guys are so uptight.”

Minju watches the two girls exchange banters, she could see why Hyewon became friends with them. They oddly remind her of Yena and Sakura, she couldn’t help but to chuckle making the two older girls stop and look at her.

Chaeyoung opened in disbelief, “You chuckled.”

“Well of course, she’s not mute.” Tzuyu said from beside Minju and that made her laugh out loud at the two. She does not care if they are looking at her weirdly now, they are just too funny for her to handle.

“Now I know why Hyewon-unnie really likes you guys.” Minju said to them, seeing that having the older girl as a topic is a great start. “You guys are really funny.”

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu grinned at her and then they started talking about Hyewon, the two older girls sharing some stories about the older girl. How she was also awkward at first but managed to go out there with their help, mainly Chaeyoung’s.

During that time, Minju noticed that out of the two, Tzuyu is the collected one – often sharing stories of her and Hyewon actually studying while Chaeyoung shares her stories about the three of them having fun. Though there’s not much difference of the Hyewon she knows and they know – with the partying only the new addition, Minju still feels like she does not know the older girl well.

“I remembered her having a sleepover at my apartment,” Tzuyu said with a smile, “She was so sad that time because she can’t go home because of all our requirements.”

Chaeyoung gasped as if remembering that day, “Right! Hyewon is a grumpy and sulky sad person, we were seriously careful with her that time.”

Minju blinks, she could not relate mainly because of course, she was not there. On top of that, she never saw the older girl sad. Never in their time together did she see Hyewon being sad at all, maybe glimpses of it but Hyewon never actually became sad in front of her – it’s like her memories of the older girl are always her being happy.

“I can’t also forget the first time she got wasted,” This caught Minju’s attention and looks at Chaeyoung. The latter chuckling as if the memories are all playing in her mind, “It was the time when she was so heartbroken for missing the – “

“Alright, Chaeyoung!” Tzuyu said standing up and pulling the other girl, “I think you’re drunk.”

“What? No, I didn’t – “

“Heartbroken?” Minju quietly asked. She didn’t see the look that the two gave her, Minju was looking at the ground, trying to process the information. She didn’t know that about the older girl, how much does she actually know about Hyewon anyways?

“Minju,” She looks up to see Tzuyu looking at her worriedly, “Don’t think about it okay? And don’t mention it to Hyewon. We’re going to be dead meat.” She said and glared at Chaeyoung.

Minju nodded mindlessly, she’s having these thoughts that maybe Hyewon does not share everything to her. Well, it’s not like Minju shares everything to the older girl either. For all she knows, she would not mention Chaewon to Hyewon if the latter didn’t see them together.

“Hey Minju, it’s alright now. I think she’s fine now.”

Minju smiles at the two, but that’s not the only thing she’s thinking about. Minju thinks about the fact that Hyewon was in love and that love was unrequited – and it bothers her. She’s not sure if it is because it was unrequited or that Hyewon was once in love – even she could not get herself.

“Your girlfriend?”

Yeji’s question popped up inside her mind and she shakes her head. Then suddenly, the door burst open revealing Hyewon with plastic bags in both of her hands.

“Lunch is here!” Hyewon shouted and she looks at them with a smile.

Minju smiles at the older girl slightly, she watches Hyewon prepare their foods. She watches how her eyes smile when Chaeyoung said a joke to her, and Minju frowns.

How can someone not fall in love with Hyewon?

“Minju, will you go home this Friday?” Hyewon asked her and Minju nodded. The older girl grinned at the answer.

“Good, let’s go together. It’s hard to find time when work started piling up.”

Minju was 18 almost a month into her freshman year in college, when she knew that Hyewon was once in love – and she didn’t have any idea about it.

 

--

 

Minju safely went home with Hyewon and Yena, the latter volunteering to drive the three of them which they gladly accepted. It just that Sakura and Chaeyeon could not come with them because of all the work that they need to do. Minju watches how the two interact from the backseat, and she thinks about what she discovered yesterday.

Does Yena also know about it? Well, I think that’s already given since she is Hyewon’s best friend. It’s not like Minju could suddenly ask the older girl about it, she promised to Tzuyu and Chaeyoung that she wouldn’t. That just means that this is a sensitive subject for the older girl.

“Are you doing fine in your dorm?”

Minju looks up and sees her mother asking her, she forgot that she didn’t manage to talk to her mom about Hyewon being her roommate. She smiles and nodded her head, grabbing her water to take a sip.

“Yeah, I’m roommates with Hyewon-unnie.”

Her mother paused on her dinner and looks up from her plate, “Hyewonnie? How is she? I didn’t hear much from her after she went to college.”

Minju thinks about that question, she could say that Hyewon is fine – she’s doing fantastic, really. “She’s fine, she’s a great roommate.”

“That’s great to hear.” Minju’s mom smiles, “Knowing that you’re in her care makes me feel much better.”

They could hear her father chuckling on the side, “Hyewonnie really takes good care of you Minju, it’s nice to know that she’s your roommate.”

Minju didn’t deny it and nodded her head happily, “She always cook me breakfast when she can and always buy me an apple juice.”

She could see her parents smiling at her softly, then her mother took a sip on her own water before looking again at Minju. “You really sound like you like her Minjuri.”

Minju became flustered at the insinuation, she didn’t mean to sound like that. She’s just saying what Hyewon is actually doing for her, she didn’t expect for her parents to jump into conclusions.

“Mom! It’s not like that!” Minju whines, “Hyewon-unnie is just an unnie I admire, okay?”

Her mom chuckles and shrugs, “If you say so.”

Minju looks down, that’s the same words that Yeji told her. She quietly continued to eat her dinner, hoping not to have a topic again about the older girl.

 

-

 

Minju sluggishly walks out of their room with Yeji, a very unexpected test welcomed them earlier and they only have 15 minutes to scan their notes. They would have regret not reading their notes during the weekend but when they saw other students having a hard time, they realized that everyone did nothing and did not expect the test. They were in the middle of the hallway when someone suddenly called Yeji’s attention.

She looks back to see Hyunjin approaching them, she looks at Yeji in confusion. The latter sporting a frown on her face. She looks at Yeji then at Hyunjin, she can see Hyunjin looking at her surprised. Minju would have laughed about his expression if not for the confusion swirling inside her.

“What is it?” Yeji asked and Minju could tell the irritated tone.

“Is that how you treat your brother?”

Minju coughed at the revelation, she knows that the two looks alike but she never actually thought that they would be siblings. “You guys are what?!”

Yeji looks at her surprised, “You know him?”

“He’s the one I told you about, always sleeping in class.”

Minju could hear a gasp coming from the guy and she looks at him. Hyunjin has a face of disbelief, “You told her that?! I thought we were friends!”

“You’re sleeping in class?! Dad would be furious!”

Noticing that they are already gaining attention, Minju quickly pulls the two away and bowing apologetically. She could see Yeji slapping Hyunjin’s arm but the guy just keeps swatting her away. When they managed to get into some area where there are only a few students, Minju stopped and turned to look at the two.

“You guys are siblings?” She asked again.

The two glanced at each other and rolled their eyes, “Unfortunately.”

When Minju feels like there’s another fight coming she quickly steps in by asking a question. “Is Hyunjin older than you?”

Yeji nods her head, “But he’s immature so, I’m basically the older one.” She easily dodges the incoming slap from the older guy and Minju looks at them in amusement – obviously, both of them are childish.

“But,” Minju thinks about something, “How come he’s my classmate in some of my classes?”

“Oh that?” Yeji laughs and Hyunjin quickly tackled the girl to cover , Minju didn’t bother to stop them as she finds the two siblings very entertaining to watch. Then came the muffled reply of Yeji.

“He’s already in his second season.”

Minju frowns, “Second season?”

Then Hyunjin stopped torturing her younger sister, the latter quickly walking over Minju hugging her arm. “He failed those subjects.”

“Shut up.” Hyunjin glared, “Anyway, I didn’t know you are friends with my sister.”

“Well, I didn’t know that she is your sister.” Minju points out.

Hyunjin nods his head, “Touché.”

That’s how Minju discovered that Yeji and Hyunjin are siblings, well she did think of it during the first day she saw the two but it’s a huge coincidence to happen. She just thought that they really have similar features but seeing how they act with each other – there’s no doubt that they are siblings. It’s really entertaining watching them exchange banters, it’s weird to see different reactions coming from Hyunjin when all she’s used to is to see him sleeping.

The three of them are just out in the open area sitting at one of the benches, it seems like Hyunjin has the same spare as they have. Planning to just annoy her sister Yeji, and now Minju found herself with the two. She didn’t even feel left out, with the two constantly asking her things and even asking her opinions on things she does not even care.

The three of them are in a middle of conversation when Minju heard someone calling her name, she looks behind her to see Hyewon approaching her.

“Hey! I got this for you.” Hyewon said before putting two juices in front of her, Minju looks at it to see two different flavors – apple and mango. She grimaces at the sight of the latter, and it didn’t escape Hyewon’s eyes, earning her a flick on the forehead.

“Don’t make that face,” Hyewon whines, “You should try other flavors.”

“I don’t really feel the mango flavor.” Minju pouts, “It’s too sweet sometimes.”

“Just appreciate it, okay?” Hyewon said and pats her head, “I gotta go now, bye!”

Minju waves at the older girl and looks at the objects in front of her, she smiles to herself and grabs the mango. Wanting to save the apple for later – save the best for the last. She sticks the straw into the pack juice and before she could take a sip, she could feel stares at her.

“I didn’t know you have a girlfriend.” Hyunjin said in a surprised tone.

Minju chokes on her juice, she looks at Hyunjin then at Yeji who just shrugs. “She’s not! She’s just – “

“Her roommate.” Yeji cuts her off, “I thought of that too but she seems so adamant to the idea of them being a couple.”

“It’s just absurd!” Minju exclaims, “Hyewon-unnie is really just an unnie, she takes care of me and – “

“Is she really?” Hyunjin asked her, “Or is that what you just want to make yourself believe?”

Minju blinks and avoids his stare, she feels suddenly exposed and she does not know why. Changing the subject, she said, “How did we go to this just with a juice?”

The guy just shrugs his shoulder and leans back on the bench, “I’m just saying, many people would love to be her girlfriend.”

“What?”

Hyunjin nods to the general direction where Hyewon went, “Hyewon. She’s pretty much lowkey popular here.”

That is something Minju did not know – again, about the older girl. She thought that Hyewon is just really friendly or because that Chaeyoung really attracts them attention due to her social skills. But to know that Hyewon is popular?

“Lowkey popular?” Minju asks the older guy.

Hyunjin nods and looks at Yeji, “You remember the girl I told you about?”

“The one who parties and like everyone keeps throwing themselves at her?” Hyunjin nods his head and Yeji gasped.

“That’s her?!”

Hyunjin laughs, “The one and only.” Looking at Minju he explains, “She just suddenly went to a party with her 2 friends, and people just started noticing her because of her ‘charisma’.” He air-quoted.

“I didn’t know about that.” Minju quietly said, wincing at how clueless she actually is about the older girl. With the fact that Hyewon became a huge part of her high school and the latter almost knowing everything about her, it just bothers her how much she does not actually know about the older girl.

“Well, now you know. I thought it was just her visual and charisma, you know?” Hyunjin continues, “But then, she’s caring and all. So, no wonder girls keep flocking around her.”

“Girls?” Minju repeats. She didn’t know that, she has absolutely no idea about Hyewon’s ual orientation. It’s not a topic they actually talk about, she just assumed that the girl was straight – and it didn’t help either that Hyewon never opened up about any relationships.

“Yeah, I remember last year she has a number of girls waiting for her,” Hyunjin told her, his tone complete amazed. “I mean with her attitude, there’s no wonder they like her.”

Minju keeps quiet at that, looking at the mango juice in her hand.

“So yeah, it’s not unlikely you might like her.” Hyunjin said earning a nudge from Yeji, and that’s when he noticed how quiet Minju became. “I mean, but maybe she’s really just an older sister to you. Don’t mind me, I’m just spewing nonsense.”

Minju didn’t listen to him instead, she asked another question. “Last year, did she have any girl she was serious about?”

She hears Hyunjin humming and tapping his fingers, “No, there’s none really but I talked to one girl that used to like her.” He said and closed his eyes trying to remembering something.

“Ah, Doyeon. That’s her name.” Hyunjin snaps his finger, “She said that Hyewon is just into flings, saying that she’s too hung up on to someone.”

He then looks at her as he gasped, “Do you know who that person is, by any chance?”

Minju clicks her tongue, annoyed by the question. It seems like Yeji sensed this because she quickly gathers her things, pulling Minju with her. “We gotta go now, see you at home.” She said to her brother and pulled Minju.

As soon as they turned a corner, Yeji pulled her to the nearest restroom she saw. Minju could feel the girl staring at her and she just avoids the look, the mango juice still in her hand.

“Minju, are you okay?” Yeji asked, “You complete looked out of it when Hyunjin started talking about Hyewon.”

Minju looks up from her juice, and she could see the worry in Yeji’s eyes. She suddenly misses Chaeyeon but she knows that the girl is busy with all of her dances and classes. “I just, I just didn’t know that about Hyewon-unnie. It just bothers me.”

Yeji pursed her lips wanting to ask a question, “What’s actually bothering you?”

“Huh?” Minju asked confusedly, the answer to that question is already obvious it’s because she doesn’t know –

“Is it because you didn’t know things about Hyewon or because you didn’t know about the girls that liked her and possibly became her flings?”

Oh.

Minju opens to answer, but there’s nothing she could say. She could see Yeji smiling at her as if saying it’s alright not to answer. “Never mind, come on. We still have our last class.”

Minju just lets the girl pull her and she remembers the juice in her hand, she takes a sip of it and she grimaced. She remembers how mango is too sweet for her liking, but right now it tastes too bland.

“Is it because you didn’t know things about Hyewon or because you didn’t know about the girls that liked her and possibly became her flings?”

Yeji’s question keeps ringing in her mind.

And she doesn’t know what to answer.

 

--

 

Maybe it did bother Minju too much, too much than a normal roommate and friend should be bothered. She became all too aware of the older girl but all she could see is Hyewon being caring and always checking up on her. But there would be nights that the older girl won’t go back until late at night, sometimes Minju could hear Hyewon stumbling inside – she assumes that the older girl is drunk. It does not happen that often, but that does not mean Minju was any less curious.

She thinks about the possible girls, girls, ‘throwing’ themselves at Hyewon. Minju could not imagine the older girl doing that – well, it’s not really something you imagine of your friend, but the fact that Minju did not know that Hyewon is into girls, it slightly hurts her.

Minju realizes how different she knows Hyewon and how others know her – all she knows about the older girl is the side she is seeing, the side she has always been seeing since the first time they met. Maybe she became too complacent with the thought that Hyewon would tell her anything because apparently, she didn’t.

It’s been bothering her for months now, and now in the middle of the living room she’s been studying for the past two hours. The first hour was a success but then this thought of the older girl suddenly crossed her mind, and it just went downhill from there. She then hears the door opening which means Hyewon is already here.

The older girl went out to study with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung, Minju looks back to see Hyewon looking at her in surprise. “Hey, you’re still up.”

Minju looks at the clock and realizes that it’s already 10 in the evening, she usually goes to bed around 9. She shrugs her shoulders and waves her hand to the notes sprawled in front of her, “I just can’t understand all of these.”

Hyewon chuckles, “Have you had dinner yet?” She asked, putting her bag down on the couch before going to the kitchen. Minju answers with a no and the older girl pulled out some left overs they had yesterday.

“Cool, that’s just the hunger. I’ll heat this up.” Hyewon said before turning on the microwave, “You just stay there, I’ll accompany you but I’ll change first.”

Minju waited for the older girl, just staring at her notes. She then heard the microwaved beeped and as if on cue, Hyewon went out of her room wearing comfortable shorts and shirt. She walked over to Minju holding the Chinese takeout from last night, putting it in front of the younger girl. She takes a look at the notes and chuckles, “Statistics?”

Minju scoffed and swatted the paper away, “It seems like you need to know the basic of it before having a degree.”

“This week giving you actual hell?” Hyewon asked sitting on the couch while turning on the television, lowering the volume for the two of them. Minju just groans at the question, it’s not just hell week actually giving her hell – it’s more like a very long road trip in hell with all of these requirement and tests that just keeps on piling up.

She already expected it, just from the stories of the older girls from before. But despite expecting it, she was still overwhelmed by the amount of work. And to add to that is the fact that Hyewon is on her mind for the past few months – observing the girl and all, but she could not see anything wrong.

“Hell is an understatement.” Minju answered earning a chuckle from Hyewon.

“Trust me, it would be freeing when you finish this hell week.”

Minju groans out and grabs the takeout, shoving some food inside . Chewing it first she leans on the couch, because she’s sitting on the ground she needs to look up to the older girl. “What did you do when you finished your first hell week here?”

“Oh, I just went out with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung.”

Minju raised an eyebrow, getting another spoonful. “Yeah? Where?”

“Just some club, Chaeng’s a regular so yeah.” Hyewon answered nonchalantly and looks at Minju, “Why the sudden curiosity?”

Minju looks down at her takeout avoiding the older girl’s gaze, she’s contemplating if she should tell her what she heard about Hyewon but that just seems like she’s gossiping about the older girl.

“I just realized that I never actually knew your life.”

“What?” Hyewon asks the younger girl, “What are you talking about? You know almost everything – “

“I just heard things,” Minju cuts her off and takes a deep breath, “Like how you’re into girls.” She quietly said.

“Oh.”

Minju panics thinking that she sounded like a hypocrite, “It doesn’t bother me, I promise! It’s just, I wish you told me about it.”

She then heard a chuckle and she look up to see Hyewon looking at her amusedly. “Well, it’s not really something I tell people. It’s just out there, I’m not trying to hide it.”

Minju nods her head picking on her food, “Oh,” she then continues, “does that mean you were in a –“

“A relationship? No.” Hyewon lets out a breathy laugh, “Just flings. Can’t commit properly, you know.”

“Why?”

“Can’t really promise a commitment when you’re too hung up on someone.”

Minju looks up, the same exact words from what Hyunjin told her. She realizes that Hyewon has been in love with someone since her first year of college, she has been heartbroken before and yet she’s still in love with that person. “You couldn’t move on?”

Hyewon smiles and Minju could see the sadness in it, “I thought I did. I hope I did.”

“But I don’t know now.”

Silence.

Hyewon sits up properly and nudges the younger girl with her foot, “How about you, how did your relationship go?”

Minju looks up at the older girl sporting a small smile and she looks down to her lap not knowing what to answer, “She wanted me to go to the same university as hers.”

“Why didn’t you?”

Minju clicks her tongue and chuckles, “SNU was just calling to me, you know?”

“Did you move on?” Hyewon asks quietly and Minju could feel her stare. She chuckles because yes, surprisingly she did.

Chaewon is the relationship that she could actually acknowledge, how she feels to actually be in a relationship, it’s very much different when she was with Daehwi. Which just means that her relationship with the guy is not as deep as theirs.

Maybe that’s why the breakup was not as smooth, it was a pretty difficult one. But they got to do what they got to do, but Minju is sure that she won’t forget Chaewon. The girl gave her so much happiness in those months.

“The distance helped.” Minju answers softly, “I thought I couldn’t, but then one day I just realized in the end of the night that I didn’t think about her.”

“That’s great, I’m happy for you.” Hyewon smiles nudging the girl playfully.

Minju then takes another spoonful with a smile and asked, “You shouldn’t really be hung up on someone who would not look your way.”

“Ah,” Hyewon breathes out and laughs slightly, “That’s the thing Minju, I know she wouldn’t but I couldn’t help it.”

“You won’t do anything about it?”

Hyewon sits up and looks at Minju shaking her head, “I’m doing something about it.”

Minju frowns, “By having flings?” She winced at how harsh she sounded and as she was about to apologize, afraid that she offended the older girl – the latter laugh.

“We have different ways of moving on.” Hyewon said, “It’s not something I’m proud of, but I can’t do anything else.”

Silence.

Hyewon then stands up from the couch patting Minju’s shoulder saying that she would go to sleep already, but before she can go away, Minju calls her. Hyewon looks at the younger girl, and Minju bites her lips.

“Is it worth it?” She quietly asked, “To be hung up on someone and still have flings?”

Minju looks up and she could see Hyewon looking at her in the dim light, and she could see a smile – too sad for her liking. She wonders if what Chaeyoung and Tzuyu said about the older girl being a grumpy and sulky sad is true. Because all she can see at that moment is hopelessness.

Minju never expected to see the older girl sad, she always sees her happy – well she did see glimpses of some sadness. But this one, it’s just different – it just tugs her heart.

“It’s not.” Hyewon answers, “Because at the end of the day, it’s still not her.”

“You said you thought you already moved on, what happened?”

Hyewon looks at her, the older girl staring at her for a minute. Minju could feel her breath hitching – Hyewon’s stare is just really sharp.

“Life happened.” Hyewon answers, “But I’m getting through it, don’t worry.”

Not waiting for her reply, Minju sees Hyewon already going to her room. The older girl glanced at her, “You should go to sleep soon. Good night Minju.” With that she entered her room.

Minju hears the door clicking and she was left there staring at the place where Hyewon was before. Looking down at her almost finished food and then to her scattered notes on the table she sighs.

Minju was 18 in the middle of hell week, when she had this urge to help Hyewon to move on.

 

-

 

“I thought you’ve moved on.”

“Well, it is not ideal to have that someone as your roommate.”

“How are you holding up?”

“Seriously, I’m amazed I can hold a conversation with her.”

“You ARE a great pretender.”

“Thanks, that I am.”

“How did she react when she heard you had flings?”

“She took it well, not the jealous reaction you’re thinking Tzu.”

“How about let’s just party after hell week?”

“That sounds like a plan Chaeng.”

 

-

 

After their hell week, all of them including Minju are now looking forward to the holidays. Even some professors are starting to slack off, with some of them giving early dismissals due to ‘lack’ of activities. The students never complain, it’s in their favor after all. Days passed by like a blur, it seems like everyone’s mind are already in the holidays and their bodies are only empty vessels trying to get through with the day.

Minju is very much the same but the only thing different right now is that she is much interested in Hyewon’s life – determined to help the older girl to move on because of some realizations she had. She realized that Hyewon has always been there for her, always helping her even though she never asked for it – like the older girl is always at the right time and right place every time Minju is having facing some problems.

Having her as a roommate is a plus since she could always see the girl, but that does not mean she can guarantee that Hyewon is always in their dorm. She knows that the older girl still goes out to party or spend time with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung – sometimes Yena if the latter is not too busy.

Sometimes Hyewon would not go back to their dorm until the morning after, when Minju would wake up to vomiting noises. The first time it happened, she thought she was hearing some dying person but then she realized it was just Hyewon.

“Unnie, are you alright?” She shouts over the door and she could hear a flush inside, Minju leans her ear to hear the answer.

“Yes, just some hangover. Sorry for waking you up.” Hyewon answered hoarsely and Minju winced at the obviously parched throat. She quickly went to the kitchen to get some medicines for the older girl and water.

As if on cue, the door to the bathroom opened and Minju quickly walks out of the kitchen holding a glass of water and 2 pills. She holds it out for Hyewon with a smile.

“Here, drink this.” Minju said as she gives it out to the older girl, the latter smiling gratefully. “I’ll cook you something for the hangover.”

This receives a surprised look from Hyewon, “You know how to cook?”

Minju was offended and scoffs, “Of course I know.” Hyewon gives her a raised eyebrow as if not believing her, and Minju thinks about it before backtracking.

“I mean just simple things, don’t worry.”

Hyewon chuckles passing the now empty glass, “Just don’t burn the kitchen. I don’t have insurance for it.”

“Unnie!”

Hyewon winced and Minju quickly shuts . “Minju-ah, hangover. Shhh.” Hyewon pouts and drags herself to her room, “Just knock on the door, okay?”

Minju nodded and smiles at the older girl. She looks at Hyewon and before the door was closed, she saw a glimpse of what seems like a hickey on the girl’s collarbone.

Minju frowns and felt something tingling inside her – an unpleasant feeling. But she has some cooking to do so, she did not dwell on it too much.

Being in the same building also helps to see what the older girl is doing, though they don’t often see each other but unlike before, when Minju sees Hyewon in the hallways she would go out of her way to actually talk to the latter. Even though she’s with Yeji and Hyunjin or if Hyewon is with her friends.

“Unnie!” Minju calls out, and gestures a minute to the two siblings with her and walks over to Hyewon who is now looking at her with a questioning look.

“Minju, why is there a problem?” Hyewon asks her, “Is someone bothering you?”

Minju laughs and shakes her head, “Just wanted to say hi, you don’t have class?” She asks and looks at Chaeyoung at Tzuyu, the two girls smiling at her.

“Not yet. It’ll start in 20 minutes though, how about you?” Hyewon asks and looks behind her to see Yeji and Hyunjin waiting, “The Hwang siblings?”

Minju nodded. “Yeah, it’s just a coincidence though. But our class will start in 10, Yeji is just walking with us, she has a different section.”

Hyewon nodded her and as if remembering something she excitedly said, “The holidays are coming! You’re going to go back right?”

“Yeah, of course.” Minju chuckles.

“Good, let’s ride together. Sakura and Yena will go back too, ask Chaeyeon to come, will you?”

Minju grins and nodded her head but before she can go Hyewon called her again, making her look back.

“I’ll text you later, I have something to give you.”

Minju looks at her confusedly but still nodded her head and waved, she quickly walks back to the two siblings waiting for her. It seems like Hyunjin was about to say something if it was not for the strong nudge that Yeji gave him.

“Let’s go?” Yeji grinned and hooked her arm with Minju.

 

Minju and Hyunjin is already in their room, the professor is just making them watch a video regarding their lesson – fluctuations of sales and how to interpret each fluctuation, which is really boring. Minju could not blame the guy sleeping right now beside her, she would have sleep too like almost half of the class but she’s the only one who Hyunjin’s rely on when it comes to notes.

Forcing herself to actually listen to whatever the monotone voice from the video is talking about, her phone suddenly lit up on her desk – thankfully, it did not get the attention of the professor. Minju looks at it to see Hyewon’s contact.

I’m outside.

Hyewon

Minju thinks that she already knows what the older girl is doing outside her room, she puts her pen down and quietly walks out of the room. Just like as expected, Hyewon has two juice with her.

This became their routine now, the older girl never failed to give Minju a juice but now with a new flavor as an addition – mango. Minju already told Hyewon to not bother giving her mango juice but the older girl insisted.

“Don’t discriminate other fruit juices!”

“But I only like apples!”

“I’ll make you like mango, now gulp that down!”

So, Minju always accepts it but she drinks the mango first, she won’t let it go to waste.

“It seems like a boring class.” Hyewon chuckled glancing inside their room. Minju groans out because boring is an understatement.

“Everyone is already asleep.”

Hyewon laughed, “I would have asked you to skip class but I have my own so, just bear with it Minju-ah.” She teases and pats Minju’s head, the younger girl scrunching her nose at Hyewon.

Hyewon chuckles and waves her hand, “I need to go now, just wanted to give your daily juice. Goodluck with your boring class!”

Minju watches the retreating figure of the older girl, she could not help but to smile. She laughs at herself and walks inside their room, and the video is still ongoing. She quietly sits and was about to write notes when she heard a deep voice.

“Your daily juice?”

Minju looks beside her to see Hyunjin leaning on his palm, very much awake and bored. She then sees his hand moving to the direction of her juice and she quickly slaps it away. “That’s mine, get your own.”

Hyunjin laughs, “My own juice or Kang Hyewon?”

Minju looks at him weirdly, “Your juice, duh.”

“Ah, I see.” Hyunjin nods his head and shrugs his shoulders.

Minju then turned her head to listen to the video, but she could see Hyunjin stealing glances at her and the juice. She just let him be not wanting to be bothered, but due to the fact that the video is really boring she just decided to stop pretending. Minju turns her head to look at Hyunjin, squinting her eyes at the guy.

She decided to just ask him, “You know Hyewon from last year, right?”

Hyunjin nodded his head, “Yeah, of course. I doubt she knows me though.”

Minju waves her hand, “She knows you and Yeji as the Hwang Siblings.” She then continues, “Can I ask you something about her?”

Since Hyunjin is the only person she knows that has an idea about Hyewon from last year, it’s not like she can ask Chaeyoung and Tzuyu about her roommate – that would be weird and they are not that close to begin with. Sakura and Yena are already off the list since they are too close and she knows how the two girls would question her about it.

Her last resort is this guy beside her.

“Can you tell me about how was Hyewon last year?”

The guy looks at her surprised, but she knows she got his attention – just judging from his smirk and how he slightly turned his body to her direction. “Why do you suddenly want to know, Ms. Kim Minju?”

Minju rolls her eyes and kicks Hyunjin lightly, “Just answer it. I’m bored.”

Minju could see Hyunjin looking at her mischievously and she just groan quietly, “Never mind, I don – “

“Chill Minju,” Hyunjin whispers, “I was just teasing you! I’ll tell you what I know.”

Minju gives him a glare and Hyunjin chuckles, “Hyewon is lowkey famous mainly because Tzuyu and Chaeyoung are the famous ones. It just so happens they’re friends and is always there when they are out.”

“I mean, Tzuyu is a beauty while Chaeyoung is rumored to be dating one senior you know – Myoui Mina?”

Minju frowns, the name does not ring a bell. She could see Hyunjin rolling his eyes at her, “Of course you don’t know, you live under a rock.”

“Shut up.” Minju hissed, “Do you know anyone that she dated? Or courted?”

“Hyewon? Date? Court? Are we even talking about the same Hyewon here?” Hyunjin jokes, “She doesn’t do those things.”

“Not to anyone?”

Hyunjin hums, “Well, I think she was not really into relationships, she made that clear since day one.” Tapping his fingers lightly on his desk he continues, “And the girls took it as a challenge, and I think she’s just too good to reject them. But who knows?”

Minju pursed her lips at the new information she has, why does she feel like she’s missing something?

“She never had someone she became serious with?”

Hyunjin chuckles, “No, she might look like a player because of it, but you can see the girl is just really too hung up with someone.”

“I mean when I first saw her at a party, she’s drinking not to have fun, but to forget.” Hyunjin smiles slightly remembering the first time Chaeyoung dragged Hyewon and Tzuyu to a party. “She’s just in a corner with her friends taking care of her while she downs some shots.”

“Oh.”

“But despite all that you can still tell that she’s a great person.” Hyunjin shrugs and looks at Minju, “Did you get what you were looking for?”

Minju nods her head hesitantly, not really sure if she did actually have some answers now. “Yeah, I guess.”

“What were you actually looking for?” The guy raised his brow questioningly.

Minju sighs, “Why she started to have flings? I thought she would be a committed type of person.” Maybe she doesn’t know that well – or Hyewon did change a little bit.

She could hear Hyunjin chuckling beside her and she looks at the guy, who finds her amusing for some reason.

“Minju, not everyone is the same after love.” Hyunjin points out as if giving some wisdom to a young one, “Especially those who didn’t have a luck on it.”

 

-

 

Holidays came signaling the time to relax of all students, and just like what they talked about, the five of them would drive to their hometown. Yena as the designated driver while Hyewon is shotgun, Sakura, Chaeyeon and Minju are all in the backseats. The ride was anything but quiet, with Yena rapping like no tomorrow and Hyewon whining about how some duckling is making some weird sounds while driving.

Maybe they should have been scared since they are in the middle of the road while the two people in front are fighting as if no lives are at risk. But they found it funny which is why they decided to join the fun.

“This duckling just aced her finals!” Yena shouts while glancing at Hyewon, “You better pay some respect.”

“I don’t pay respect to someone who speaks duckling language.” Hyewon retorted and looked back behind the other three. “When she said ace, she barely passed – “

“Shut up!”

They felt the car slightly swerving and instead of being scared they all laughed.

“Well, I did receive from Yena crying in the middle of the night because of – “Sakura started to join but was cut off.

“Please do remember that you guys are in my car.” Yena exclaims, “I can just leave you at the side without looking back.”

Silence.

They could see Hyewon glancing at them through the rearview mirror and they just know that she’ll answer back.

“Oh, did I hear some duck threatening us?”

“Kang Hyewon!”

They all laughed with how Hyewon reclined her seat and quickly, surprisingly so, walked over to the back to avoid the coming slaps from Yena. That’s how the four of them became cramped at the backseat, with Hyewon’s body resting on their laps, her head laid on top of Minju’s lap. She could see how the older girl is laughing and stares at Hyewon.

It seems like she was not discreet enough because Hyewon’s laugh died down and looked up to see her, and she smiles at Minju questioningly. Minju shakes her head, pinching Hyewon’s nose jokingly.

Minju questions herself, how can someone broken be this happy?

 

-

 

Holidays went by as expected, happy, full of music and laughter. Catching up with relatives that Minju does not have any idea that they existed, eating until Minju could not anymore. She receives texts from Yeji and Hyunjin, whining about how boring their holidays are – they are in Paris and it was boring. Minju looks at the texts incredulously.

Minjuri: Buy me souvenirs and branded clothes

Matured hwang: Minju we’re dying here and you just want some clothes?

Sleepy hwang: she’s having fun with life rn and we’re getting drag by our parents

Sleepy hwang: this is NOT a friendship!

Minjuri: stop being dramatic and start saying bonjour or whatever there! Have fun!

Matured hwang: we’re dying!!!!

Sleepy hwang: we chatted u cos we’re NOT having fun!

Sleepy hwang: wtf did she just mute us?!

Sleepy hwang: the audacity! KIM MINJU!

Matured hwang: stop, mom and dad are looking at us!

 

With holidays it is also expected for the five of them to meet up with each other and celebrate it together. Which is why they are all in Chaeyeon’s house, with all of them inside the latter’s room. Snacks all around them and a laptop, a typical setup for how friends catch up. Chaeryeong is out with her friends which is a disappointment because they all wanted to see the younger girl.

They’re watching as per Chaeyeon’s request, One Day, and just like before, Yena is whining about watching a romantic movie with them. But weirdly, Minju’s attention is all in the movie – amazed by how the two characters managed to connect with each other. She didn’t notice that Hyewon was quiet too, watching the movie.

All those changes that happened to them individually, how different their lives are. Those missed opportunities of them, and how they went down to some path they never knew existed.

“This movie is too deep and sad for holidays!” Yena screamed and quickly exits the movie making Minju snap out of her thoughts.

“We were watching!” Chaeyeon shouts, kicking the older girl and the three girls laugh at the two.

Sakura stops the two before it gets any worse and quickly grabs the laptop and all of them groaned because they know that the girl would choose an anime. It was fine really, but the girl always picks the same anime again and again.

“How about let’s just catch up with each other?” Hyewon suggested and grabbed the laptop, “Stop watching and talk.”

That’s how all the fighting stopped and changed to each one of them whining about the stressed and how some students are freeloaders. But then they didn’t focus on those, instead they asked each other their lives.

“Speaking of that,” Hyewon suddenly said, “I need to go back to the dorms early.”

Yena looks at her, “Why?”

“I need to meet up with Chaeng and Tzu, have some group work we need to finish.”

Sakura rolls her eyes, “Yeah, and you guys will go to a party.”

Hyewon just laughs, dismissing the comment. But she did not deny it either. This just means that the two girls really know Hyewon’s life, despite not being in the same department. Minju looks at them and wonders of they know the girl that Hyewon is hung up on.

“Okay let’s stop this and watch a movie again.” Chaeyeon said, “I’m in a different university so I can’t relate.”

 

Minu decided to stay over at Chaeyeon’s, the other three already went back to their own houses, leaving just the two of them. All cleaned up, the two of them are just laying on Chaeyeon’s bed talking to each other. Minju tells her about Hyunjin and Yeji and how she was surprised to coincidentally be friends with siblings.

“How is it living with Kwangbae?” Chaeyeon asked, “I bet she took care of you.”

Minju chuckles adjusting her body, “Yeah, she always gives me juice. Sometimes she’ll cook for me when she has time, if not she’ll order takeout for us.”

“You sound really happy Minju.” Chaeyeon said and Minju could feel the smile from the girl’s face.

“I am, but…” She trailed off, “She changed a little bit. Still the same caring Hyewon-unnie, but the partying side is the one I didn’t expect.”

“Well, I didn’t expect that either but that’s what makes Kwangbae, as Kwangbae.”

Minju bits her lips, contemplating is she should say something. But seeing that it is Chaeyeon, and nothing goes out from their conversations, she decided to just open it to the girl. “She also has girls, flings they said. I did not expect that she was into girls but what I’m more surprised is for to have flings.”

She sighed exasperatedly, “And I learned that she was in love with one girl! I didn’t know about it! We always spend time together before, and I didn’t have any idea about it.”

“Minju…” Chaeyeon said, “We can’t always know everything about a person.”

Minju just exhales defeatedly and nods her head slightly, “That’s why I’m going to try and help her get over that person. I want her to be happy, genuinely. Hyewon-unnie has always been there for me without me even asking, and I want to do that for her too.”

Chaeyeon stares at her friend in darkness, Minju could not see the worry in her eyes. “Are you sure about that?”

Minju is confused by the question but nods her head determinedly, “Of course, I can’t let Hyewon-unnie be hung up to someone. She does not deserve that.”

“Just,” Chaeyeon sighed and shakes her head slightly, “Tell me what happens, okay? I’m only a call and ride away from you.”

Minju chuckles, “Of course, the same goes for you.”

Minju was 18 laying on bed with Chaeyeon in the middle of the night, when she completely decides to help Hyewon to be happy.

 

--

 

Minju was walking with her bag back to her dorm, only a few students could be seen obviously most of them are still in vacation. She’s walking quietly all covered up with a coat to give her warmth that she badly needs. Her parents drove her there since Yena and Sakura had an emergency and needed to go back a day early.

Minju thinks about what and where is Hyewon right now, if she would be in their dorm or out. The older girl’s last message to her was her saying hat she’ll be having an all-nighter at Tzuyu’s with Chaeyoung.

“Minju!” She looks back to see Chaeyoung and Tzuyu approaching her with a smile, she frowns and smiles at their new looks.

“Nice hair you got there.” Minju compliments the two and she could see Tzuyu glaring at Chaeyoung.

“This girl here dragged us to change it.” She said pushing Chaeyoung lightly. Minju frowns at what Tzuyu said.

“Us?” She repeated, and the taller girl nods.

“Yeah, me and Hyewon.”

As if on cue, she heard someone calling the two and she turns around. Minju’s jaw dropped at what Hyewon’s hair is sporting right now, the older girl colored her hair purple. A very bold color for Hyewon, and she doubts that Hyewon chose that color.

“Minju, you’re here too!” Hyewon said with a smile and as Minju was about to greet her someone called for the older girl’s attention.

“Kwangbae?!”

The four of them looked to the direction where it came from, and Minju choked on what she saw. What’s with people changing their hair colors this year? Yena bleached her hair in a platinum blond, and it oddly suits her.

“Holy Kwangbae!” Yena exclaims and walks to them keeps on opening and closing, staring at the said girl.

“Yena, what the hell!” Hyewon shouts and stares at Yena. Minju watches the two and waits for whatever thing they have to say to one another.

“You look like a purple Stabilo!” Yena shouts.

“You look like a bleached highlighter!” Hyewon said.

Minju shakes her head in amusement while Tzuyu and Chaeyoung are laughing on the side, the two girls slapped each other. “This girl dragged me to bleach it, it’s not my fault!” Hyewon pointed at Chaeyoung who shrugs her shoulders innocently.

Hyewon then looks at Minju, “Hey, I cooked some food for you because I know you’re going to arrive today.”

This is the reason why Minju would help Hyewon to move on, the latter is just too kind for her own good. Hyewon needs someone that could take care of her like how she takes care of people, and Minju is much more determined to help the older girl now.

“Thank you, you didn’t have to.”

Hyewon waves her hand, “It’s fine, you go unpack your things now. I’ll just be out with these two.”

“Hey, let me come! I don’t have anything to do.” Yena exclaims and swung her shoulder over Chaeyoung, “So, how did you manage to force Kwangbae to change her hair?”

“Oh, a little lie is what it took.” Chaeyoung whispered jokingly.

Hyewon rolls her eyes and looks at Minju, “I’ll text you okay? Take care!”

Minju watches the four girls walk away and she could clearly hear the banters coming from Hyewon and Yena, she didn’t know that the latter is close to Chaeyoung and Tzuyu too. She stares for a minute and she could see Hyewon looking back and waving at her slightly, Minju returns it with a small smile in her face.

 

If Minju paid attention to Hyewon after their hell week, this time she paid much more attention to the older girl. Always walking with Hyewon to go to her first class, the latter was weirded out at first but Minju just dismissed it saying she does not have anything to do. When in fact, she was just doing it to see some potential partners for the older girl.

That month went by like a wind, but Minju also noticed how she see Hyewon much more often than before. She always sees the girl in their dorm, but now she sees her too much in their building, like her body knows that the girl would be near and she would automatically turn.

But what Minju noticed is that Hyewon does not just hang out with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung because she sees the older girl talking to some other girls – and Minju could not deny that they are good looking. A very good partner for Hyewon, but it’s just that there’s something wrong with each one of them – in Minju’s opinion.

Once, a girl was too touchy with Hyewon and it just so happens that Minju was passing by and saw the scene. She could see the older girl grimacing at it but not doing anything about it, forgetting that she’s with Yeji she walked over to the older girl.

“Unnie!” She shouts grabbing the attention of the two and she could see how Hyewon looks grateful for her presence. Minju quickly hugs Hyewon by the waist and glanced at the other girl – she looks flirty, definitely not one that could take care of Hyewon.

“Minju!” Hyewon said and hugged the girl back, “I’ll just go with her, okay? Nice talking to you Hani!”

Hyewon then pulled her away and walks over to where Yeji was waiting, looking at them amusedly.

“Hey Yeji,” Hyewon smiles at the girl and looks at Minju, “God Minju you’re an angel, thank you!” She hugs Minju tightly, and Minju suddenly felt something inside her but she brushes it off.

“You look like you needed help.” Minju smiles, “Who is she anyway?”

Hyewon looks to their previous place, Hani’s figure disappearing as she walks away. “Someone I just met in some party; I didn’t know she’d be like that.”

“Why do you even entertain them?” Minju huffs out, “You can be serious with one person, you know?”

Hyewon chuckles and looks at Minju softly, and there’s just something in her eyes that made Minju feel warm.

“I wonder who I can be serious with.” Hyewon said softly, “But you guys need to go to your class now, thanks again Minju! See you at our dorm!” She changed her mood almost instantly and waves her hand before walking away.

Yeji just looks at Minju and shakes her head, Minju noticed this. “What?”

“You’re just too invested with her life.” Yeji said, “I think you didn’t even notice it.”

“I just want to help her; she’s been playing around and I know Hyewon-unnie can love someone. She just needs to find the perfect person.”

Yeji looks at Minju and shrugs her shoulders, walking ahead of the latter whispering something under her breath.

“What?” Minju questions walking beside the girl, and Yeji looks at her.

“Maybe she found that person already but that person is too blind to notice it.” Yeji sighs and hooks her up with Minju. “Just don’t get too invested, okay? You might forget to take care of yourself.”

Minju shakes her head and chuckles, “I think Hyewon-unnie would take care of me if that happens.”

She didn’t notice the glance that Yeji gave her, Minju is too busy thinking about what the girl said. Because there is a possibility that that is what happened to Hyewon.

 

-

 

Minju is in her room too tired from all the work she finished, she didn’t even bother to check her phone. The only interaction she had that day was Hyewon saying she’ll be out and then Minju went to quickly do her requirements due for next week. She was about to check her phone when she heard someone knocking on her door.

Walking over to her door she opens it only to be surprised some loud pop making her shriek.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter