Six

Forward in Time

"Everyone, I'd like to say, you had good work this week. You deserve this weekend off for sure. I'm sorry to our daily news, you get a few days less off, but new never stops you know how it is. Now, before you all end the news week I want to see Jiao Yu, Hui Bi, and Li Fei Yu in my office. That's all." My senior looked over at me and gave me a thumbs up. In regular news week table-talk, my name finally came up after giving good articles. My face also showed up apparently using a few pictures off of Weibo, and now my senior told me he might talk to me. I don't know if this would skyrocket my career or end it. 

From Jackson: So how are you supposed to wash whites? By themselves? That's how I've seen you do it. 

To Jackson: Only if you care about risking that specific white. If it's just a random T-shirt, wash it with everything. Boss called me into his office. 

From Jackson: Oh, get that bread.

I was the only girl in the group of three he called. We were told to wait in the waiting room, coming in one at a time. I was last, making me kind of nervous. It was quiet in the big marble waiting room. It was like that one drama where he fell in love with his secretary. You couldn't hear anything behind the big cherry doors. That was even worse. Is a girl staying late to talk to her boss? Oh, god it was getting worse every time I thought of a different headline. 

"Writer Li?" I was the guy who went in before me. I stood up, taking my purse with me. I was glad I wore pants to work today. 

His office was as big as the waiting room with multiple bookshelves. Floor to wall windows illuminated the other high rise buildings behind him. 

"Writer Li! You're better looking in person, come sit down." He seemed to be a nice middle-aged man, but he mentioned my looks before anything. That put me on edge. 

"You wanted to see me, Chairman?" He pulled out a file that seemed to have my sample writings on it. 

"You've only worked here for around a month, but I've noticed your gift for writing, Fei Yu. Can I can you Fei Yu?" Hm, didn't like that one. 

"Yes, Chairman." He smiled. 

"Good. I've noticed your gift for writing, especially expository. You have a way of writing news that isn't boring like the rest of the older crew." 

"Thank you, Chairman." His phone rang, cutting him off, he looked down at it before silencing it. 

It seems that I'm needed somewhere else. I was going to have this talk here, but how would you like to grab dinner tomorrow? It won't be anything formal, I'll have to run early back home, but just to give you my formal request?" He raised an eyebrow and every single alarm was going off in my mind. This crossed about 3 HR guidelines and about all being women in the 21st-century guidelines. 

"Yes, Chairman, that would be great. What restaurant?" 

"I'll send the location to you on your phone number on file. Now excuse my rush, I need to go somewhere quickly. You may leave." He got up and was putting his coat on as I hurried out. I didn't want to be the only one stuck with him. When I walked to my desk to get my coat, Senior Zhang was there. I was relieved. 

"So what did he say?"

"Nothing yet, he said he would contact me tomorrow. We started walking out and I noticed the Chairman was nowhere. Maybe he had rushed out already." 

"Are you going to let me drive you home now?" Being shaken from my talk with the Chairman, and being indecisive in whether or not to tell her, I accepted this time. I remembered my promise of wine and cheese to her, so that is probably what motivates it. It was also the weekend and she didn't need to go to work tomorrow. 

"Ah yes, this apartment building. A lot of interns and people run Times work here. We call it 'Beginner's Cave' because this is where all the newbies are put." I pushed my button and laughed at her. I felt comfortable around her, like my aunt. She acted a lot like my aunt, just a lot of years younger. 

"So, do you have any dates tomorrow? It's Valentine's Day and you're young and pretty." I decided on the way up I wasn't going to tell her about the Chairman. I'll tell Jackson later and then he'll snap me to my senses. I poured her a glass of wine. She liked red wine, which I didn't understand why I ever had in my house, so I elected for water. 

"No, I'm single, but also very bad at dating. I haven't been on a date since sophomore year of college." 

"I've seen your lock screen. Those two guys are both handsome, who are they? Brothers?" I laughed. 

"No, they're my... friends. One of them my best friend since childhood. The other I met in high school. We all went to college together." She nodded and now was intrigued that we could talk about the handsome boys in a dating context. 

"You never thought about dating one of them? I'm a firm believer that a woman can't just be friends with males." I raised an eyebrow and took a sip of water. 

"I think it's the other way around. This one here, about a month and a half ago, we got in a fight and he confessed he liked me from to first time he laid eyes on me." 

"Ooo, that's romantic. What did you say to him?" I laughed, probably at the fact I was sharing this with a woman I met about a month ago. 

"I haven't said anything to him since. I'm not going to lose. The one who talks first loses." She leaned in, sitting down on the barstool. 

"So you like him, but you're playing hard to get?" I shook my head, then thought a bit. 

"I haven't, I haven't taken time to think about it. I've been so busy and it's taken awhile adjusting. This one," I pointed to Jackson, "he just moved to Beijing. I've lived with him since our parents died in a car crash. We were in foster care for a while, my aunt found me, and then she took him in a month later."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know about your parents." I shook my head. 

"It was when I younger. It actually spurred my interest in investigative journalism. I was looking through the old records and court cases when I was older, trying to understand. There was a small investigation, kept under wraps. The police couldn't identify what happened and claimed that it was a drunk driver. A lot of things point to it being foul play or something like that. I think it's one of my goals in life, once I get to the point where I can investigate anything, to figure it out."

"That's very noble, honestly. A better motivation than any I've heard. So what is this one doing? Now that the childhood friend is out of play, he has a bit more room."  I scoffed. 

"Do you know the Wu family? The famous chef?" She nodded, "Well that's his mom, he's now the executive manager of her restaurants." 

"So you're saying, you've been on non-speaking terms with a billionaire who's in love with you?" I chuckled at her expression and got more water. 

"It's not like that. He... This is going to sound really good from your point of view, but from mine, someone who doesn't like to be the burden of another, it's bad. He's asked me multiple times to live with him. Note that his parents pay for everything, so I would be freeloading. I've told him no and we've moved on. This time though, we got into this fight because he's saying that I won't be able to work enough to keep this apartment, therefore I'm going to have no choice but to live with him, so why not do it now. That, coupled with the underlying fact he just wanted me to live with him because he was jealous of Jackson and he liked me, I just couldn't vibe with that. I still get mad thinking about it." She nodded and was thinking it over. Analyzing it like a news reporter. 

"It seems to me he thinks now is the right time because the childhood friend is gone. He's always had this urge to provide and protect you, maybe because he sees whatever poorer than him state you've been in, and he thinks he can help. He is confident that he can make your life better. He just doesn't want you to have to work your off anymore, so he thinks he's helping. He also has loved you for years, so that adds to the want to protect and the fact that his jealously was building up too. Now here you are," She held up her hand, "You're independent and don't want to rely on anyone but yourself. You're not sure, as I can tell if you like him or not. The fact that now, when everything is clicking into place, he thinks it won't is what's making you upset." 

"Yes..." 

"What does childhood friend say?" 

"He wants us to make up because he's tired of being in the middle of it." 

"Hm. So childhood friend either doesn't like you or does and sees that rich man can provide you with a better life than he can, so he's surrendering. Rich man sees that he's surrendering and sees the chance. He takes the chance, but it faltered because it wasn't the right approach, but mainly because you either have feelings for a childhood friend, don't have feelings for rich man, or have feelings for rich man but don't want to admit it because of your independent attitude."

"Huh?!"

"It's simple if you think about it in a mind map. Childhood friend is gone, but you're still refusing Rich man. So Rich man isn't thinking logically, so he's thinking you like Childhood friend. He is also hearing that you've been talking to Childhood friend and not him. And then Childhood friend hasn't said anything to make Rich Man back off. I'm pretty sure if Childhood best friend said he liked you, then Rich man would back off knowing he has no chance." 

"I'm not following at all." She was spiraling and I had no clue what was going on anymore. I couldn't follow her mind map. 

"There are 3 questions that need to be answered to fill in the blanks. Who do you like? Who likes you? What is the real reason you are not accepting Rich man's request." I rolled my eyes and took her empty wine glass. 

"I don't like either of them. Only Kris likes me. I'm denying his request because I'm independent and I can do this by myself without his parent's money." 

"I don't think it's that simple, Fei." She ate more cheese and crackers.

"Do you talk to Childhood friend a lot?" I nodded. 

"Probably a text per hour." Her eyes widened and she started tsking. 

"Evidence." I rolled my eyes again and took the empty board and she smiled at me. 

"It's fun to have a younger reporter who's not just trying to get the TV news anchors job. I'll be off now, see you at work on Monday!" I walked her to the door and said goodbye, shaking my head when the door was closed. Jackson somehow transferred the therapist job to her without even knowing. 

From Jackson: What happened to the bread?

From Jackson: Was it obtained? 

From Jackson: I'm nosy I wanna knowowowowow

From Jackson: This is annoying I can't just bang on your door till you answer 

From Jackson: Fei Fei Fei Fei Fei

I rolled my eyes and dialed his number. When he answered he sounded like he just went for a run. Who knows he probably did. 

"Where are you the YMCA?" he chucked. 

"I'm working out. The late-night gym is the best because there aren't a lot of people here. Now, are you going to tell me?" 

"You're going to absolutely hate this. I know you are. So, he was complimenting my work and then got an urgent call, so he asked me to dinner tomorrow. He said it would be short and he had things at home to take care of." 

"Fei Yu, you are so stu-

"Listen, listen before you judge me. I need this job because if I get a promotion, I can keep the apartment and shove it in Kris' face." I could hear the eye roll. 

"If you're putting yourself in some sort of danger because of ing Kris, I swear to god Fei." 

"I'm not just doing it for that. If I get this and I'm good, it could skyrocket my career. People like BBC or Vice News, they like people who speak well on camera. If they see me, it might be life-changing. I know it's not the job I want, but it could be a step stool." 

"Your boss asked you to have dinner on Valentine's Day with him. Do you know how stupid it would be to accept that?! You sometimes forget I'm a guy, Fei Yu, I know what they think okay. You are also beautiful, you aren't stupid you know how men see you. He's using his power over you, he's going to." 

"I can't just say no, you're right it's a power thing. He could fire me if I just don't show up or call off." I could hear his breathing over the phone. Now it just sounded angry, not like he ran. 

"How are you getting there?" 

"He's texting me the restaurant and then I'll bus there." I jumped as I heard something hit the wall, "You did not just punch the-"

"You need to think. He has your phone number and you can't just take your car back. You'd have to wait for the bus. There's no direct way out." He needed to calm down. 

"Wang Jia Er. I will text you the address, I will text you when I get there, I will call you if something is wrong, I will use you as an excuse, I will get a taxi and charge it to my credit. This is how we did dates before, this is no different. In fact, this is much dangerous then me getting set up on dates with random, college boys." 

"Ohhhhhhhhh my god, I can't deal with you right now, Fei Yu. I'm not there to pick you up anymore. You know who is-"

"No. I'll call my senior writer. I have her number, she lives by the office, she just came over for drinks. I trust her. If I need a quick getaway, I'll call her, yes?" 

"Yes. And me, and you'll do everything you said in the above conversation." I scoffed and he yelled at me for doing that. 

"What have you been doing all day, huh? Leading up to your late-night workout." 

"Job searching, unpacking, the basics." I could still feel the anger in his voice. 

"I need to get back to my workout, okay? I'm calling you tomorrow, most defiantly."

"Okay, Jack. Bye."

________

I checked; the restaurant was a 10-walked from the bus stop. If I needed a quick exit, I had to call Senior Zhang. If I had time, I'd call Jackson and walk to the bus station. 

To Jackson: I've arrived 

From Jackson: Updates. Please. 

All-day he was reminding me about tonight. It seemed obsessive, but he'd probably be coming to the restaurant to sit at a booth if he was still here. I put my phone in my purse and walked in. The host seemed to be expecting me and ushered me to the back. Private rooms. This restaurant was defiantly one of the fanciest ones I've been too, minus Kris' moms. 

We walked far back, and I noticed the exits we've walked by. There was one, probably leading to the back, back. I could take that one if the front door wasn't useable. 

"Here you go, Miss." There was a curtain and then a small circular table. I was instantly uncomfortable. There was wine already ordered, red, and an appetizer. This was an Italian restaurant it seemed. 

"Fei Yu, please sit." He gestured to the only chair, close to his own, and I sat slowly. When the host closed the curtain, even though the room was spacious, I felt like I was being boxed in. 

"How are you tonight, Chairman?" 

"Very well. I thought you wouldn't be able to come. A pretty girl like you has bo valentine?" A pit in my stomach started to form. Look comment number one. I know I shouldn't be here, I know it, but there's that chance I'll be promoted. If I can sit through a tiny amount of flirting, that's all it will take. I do that when I sit with Jackson or Kris, it's fine.

"Not tonight, Chairman," Jackson told me to keep avenues open. I might have a boyfriend, might not. There's where he could step in.

"Pity, well. I can fill that hole for tonight." He took a sip of wine and I spun mine around. I don't want to be any amount inebriated. 

"You wanted to tell me something, Chairman? In your office." He nodded and put the cup down. 

"After our meals come, I'll tell you. Enjoy good news while enjoying good food. I hope you like pasta?" I nodded and looked at the appetizer. Some form of ravioli. To be polite, I took one and ate it as he was talking about the company. 

"It seems we had a lot of new hires from your graduating class, it usually happens every year, but this year it seemed to be a lot. I picked them out myself, and I was surprised to see we almost didn't have enough apartments to fill each department's interns. A lot more women this year as well. I wonder why they all want to be journalists? Is it just to be on TV? Why did you want to start?" So, I'm to spill my life story to him? 

"Well, in high school I-" 

"I read your file, I remember the intent letter. You had a dream to solve your parent's manslaughter case? The man who did it got away on probation as a first-time offense?" I was shocked. No, I shouldn't be shocked. If he is like he says, he studied ever woman he hired. I just happened to be another unlucky one.

"I, um, yes. I believe there to be some foul play involved. If I get to that spot where I can investigate freely, that will be my first case." He put his knee between mine, making it impossible for me to cross my legs. My mouth went dry and I looked down at my purse. I couldn't bend to get it now. To text Jackson. 

"I'm sure I can be of some help to you in that regard. Getting to a place you want to be career-wise."

"Oh, uh, thank you, Chairman." The curtain opened and our food had arrived quickly. Thank god. I just had to eat and then make an excuse. Not before I got my news. I took a quick bite and the food would actually have tasted good if it wasn't for the metal twinge covering my tastebuds. His leg was still there. 

"Now, Fei Yu, I'm sure you're wondering why I called you here to eat. You know I don't do this much, not with interns either, but I see promise in you. You have a beautiful face, you could easily be on TV." 

"Thank you, Chairman." I was to keep responses short. Jackson tip number two. 

"But, I think you need some more experience first before you get to the TV, yes? You haven't done much other than student reporting?"

"Only paper print." He nodded. 

"As EIC, I remember. I also remember you saying one of your faults is that you were so focused in college, you didn't get to live a lot of life. Reporters need to live life so they can report on it." I gripped my fork as hard as I could, trying not to show any emotion when his hand went to my thigh. I wore a long skirt, but in that instant, I knew his hand would travel.

"I believe now, and my past has given me a unique experience that most cannot say for themselves, Chairman. I think reporters experience to live as they report, so they can accurately portray the first impression to their readers." It traveled a centimeter testing the waters. I still hadn't drunk any wine, but I needed a drink to unclog the food stuck in my throat. 

"What was your first impression of me, Fei Yu?" Oh no, please no. No higher. I can deal with this but no higher. 

"I don't remember, Chairman. I don't recall our first meeting time either." He frowned and tapped my thigh. He almost had to lean forward to get where he was. Anyone who came in would know. 

"I remember my first time seeing your face. It was attached to your resume, a headshot. Just shoulders up, I could tell you were pretty, but then when I looked on your Weibo, I saw these legs." I stood up then, and couldn't handle it anymore. His hand was close enough, he had pulled my underwear down ever so slightly. 

"Chairman, you never told me the news." He smiled up at me. 

"Sit down, Fei Yu. The news will come later." I shook my head, grabbing my purse. 

"Chairman, I need to hear the news now, I might have to leave soon." His eyebrow tweaked up amused. 

"I like this game. You come in willingly, sit down willingly, stay to eat, but as soon as this happens you jump up. Don't you need experience, Fei Yu? Sit down." I felt dirty. I felt gross. I wanted to leave, but I needed him to confirm to me my promotion. My whatever. I needed him to give me at least that. I sat down on the chair which had been pushed out from the table, so much so that he could reach me. He smirked at that as well. 

"What did you need to tell me in your office?" It was stern, but it made him smirk more. This was all a game to him, a game I had to play so I could get what I wanted. 

"I didn't need to tell you anything, I just wanted to see your legs in person. Sadly, you covered them up." He stood up this time, walking over to my seat. I stood up too, grabbing my jacket. 

"Chairman, I need to go." He grabbed my jacket, pulling me in closer to him. His breath was on my neck. 

"Go where? Your Weibo had no mention of a boyfriend, you're single on your other platforms. You came here willingly with me, he put a hand on the small of my back, just hovering. I stepped away but he had a pull on the jacket still. I let it go and ripped out my phone. Senior Zhang. I had to call her. I needed to leave. 

"Fei Yu, you need to know how it works in this field. This is how it works, baby." 

I'm sorry, but the caller you're trying to reach is unavailable. Please - 

I dialed again as he advanced on me. Again, no answer. He put his arm right above me on the wall, using his height as an advantage. The other hand still had my jacket clenched. 

"Don't make this hard on yourself, you could get a promotion in a week." I ducked under him, heading for the curtain. 

"I know you took the bus here. You don't have a car. Let me take you home." He had grabbed me like a rag doll, pushing me through the crowd of people. My mind and heart were racing. If he pushed me into his car it was game over. I needed someone. I needed him, I just did. I lose. 

Ring. Ring. Ri-

"Hell-"

"Kris." I looked up and dropped my phone. He was there, leaning against his Benz, phone to his ear. Every feeling left my body, and I was just, I felt empty. His hands were still on me, but Kris walked over and grabbed my hand, pulling me away. 

"Sorry, you had to walk her out yourself." It was venomous the way he was talking. Kris was never like this. I've never seen him like this. I stood behind him, he pushed me there. I stood behind my wall. 

"Not all, all you must be...?" 

"Her fiance. Can I have her jacket back? You're wrinkling it and it's expensive." Kris yanked it from the Chairman's hand and soon turned to walk away. 

"See you at work on Monday, Fei Yu." The hand holding mine lead me to the passenger door and slammed it, making sure I was safe. He then slammed his door, starting off at a terrifying speed. I was too tired to do anything but lay my head on the window very gracefully. I flopped over after all that high energy ran out from me. I didn't even care that the person sitting next to me had just won, or that he was there even before I called him. I was just ready to burn my skin in the shower and not wake up till Monday. 

I don't remember taking the shower, I don't remember the clothes laid out for me on the spare bed, I don't remember even laying down to sleep.