D-89: The Plan

90 Days

 

 

D-90

 

“It’s all your fault!”

 

Cupid J159 is seething with anger as he glares at Brian. The latter’s expression hangs somewhere between shock and guilt. His mouth opens and closes twice, without a word being uttered. The cupid curls his hands into fists, trying to hold himself from out lashing on him. The entrance of a doctor and a few nurses is what saves Brian from his wrath. 

 

This time, Cupid J159 sits still while being examined. The nurse that put him to sleep earlier is watching him attentively, in case he goes berserk again. Once he finishes his examination, the doctor sits on the chair by the bed’s side, “Are you feeling better now?”

 

The cupid-turned-human nods slowly. He’s not used to being talked to by humans. 

 

The doctor smiles, “Good,” he opens his clipboard and takes his pen out, “Now let me ask you some basic questions so I can finish your report, okay?” 

 

Cupid J159 nods again. He’s dreading this questioning part so much, and his fears are probably showing on his face. The first question is so basic he should’ve seen it coming. 

 

“What’s your name?” 

 

So simple, if only he could say ‘Cupid J159’? But that’s not a human name. And he’ll be revealing his identity that way, that if they didn’t think he was some lunatic. 

 

‘Starting today, you will be living as a human, and your name will be Park Jaehyung.’

 

Oh right. The old man was generous enough and gave him a human name to go by. He should use it. 

 

“J-Jaehyung, P-park Jaehyung,” he stutters, sounding unconfident. 

 

The doctor writes it down before moving to the next question, “And how old are you?”

 

This time he really can’t answer. What is he supposed to say anyways? His true age? The number of years he’s lived as a cupid would be unreasonable for his face and body. What age range does he look like? 

 

He takes too long to answer, apparently, because the doctor asks a different question, “Jaehyung, do you remember how you got hurt?”

 

Okay. This is easy. ‘Jaehyung’ can do this.

 

“Uh- I- I- rocks were falling down, so I pushed him-” he points at Brian, “out of the way. I think one of the rocks fell on me?” He finishes uncertainly, and the doctor nods.

 

“And do you remember what you were doing right before the incident?” 

 

No no no! Go back to asking easy questions! For obvious reasons, he’ll have to lie for this one. Jaehyung racks his brain for ideas. Anything. Yet, he can’t come up with any plausible lie. How can humans lie so effortlessly and on the spot? They make it seem like an easy thing to do.  

 

“I- I-” he stammers, buying more time for himself to come up with an answer.

 

“Other than your name, do you remember anything about yourself?” The doctor asks when he takes too long, “Where do you live for example, a family member or a friend?” 

 

Instead of panicking, an idea strikes Jaehyung. Of course! He was hit on the head. And what happened ninety percent of times in Korean Drama when a character gets into an accident? Amnesia! How could he forget about that?!

 

Now a little bit of acting. He lowers his head, forcing his features into a sad expression, “I don’t remember,” he says as helplessly as he can. That must be enough to convince them, right?

 

The doctor puts his hand on his shoulder, “It’s okay, you don’t need to worry,” he smiles reassuringly.  

 

“What’s wrong, doctor?” Brian questions, concern written all over his face. Jaehyung still shoots him a dirty look.

 

“According to the scan and analysis, the hit didn’t cause him any internal casualties. The memory loss, however, is a common aftermath,” he explains.

 

“And how long would it last?” Brian asks again.

 

“Usually, not more than the time needed for the external injury to heal. For some cases, it can last longer.” 

 

After answering to some of Brian’s concerns, and reassuring both of them several more times, the doctor and his team leave. Now it’s only the two of them, plus the awkward silence. Brian hesitantly sits down on the seat previously occupied by the doctor. His posture is rigid and nervous. 

 

“I’m sorry,” he apologizes, head lowered and voice small, “It’s my fault, and I’m really sorry,” he lowers his head more, until it almost touches the mattress. 

 

Seeing how the human is putting the blame on himself melts Jaehyung’s anger away. Rationally thinking, Brian is not responsible for what happened to him, at least not directly. Cupid J159 doesn’t put the blame on himself either. He doesn’t regret saving Brian from death. So it’s just a matter of bad luck, or fate, maybe? He’ll figure it out eventually. 

 

“You’re not the one who hit me with a rock, and I’m the one who decided to save you, so please sit straight,” he feels so uncomfortable saying these words. After all, he’s never comforted a human. He clears his throat and awkwardly adds, “It’s not your fault, whatsoever.”

 

Brian lifts his head slowly, expression still weighted down by guilt. He still sticks around for a while, alternating between thanking him, apologizing, or asking him if he needed anything. Jaehyung is new to all of this attention, and knows that it’s the same for the human as well. Brian’s interaction with others is always kept to a minimum, he must be feeling responsible towards him to stay with him this long. 

So, using the late hour as an excuse, he asks him to leave. Thankfully, Brian complies, albeit reluctant. He leaves his phone number, just in case, and promises to come back the next day.

 

 

D-89

 

It might be because of the hit, or the medication the nurse forced him to swallow, or maybe it’s just his human body, but Jaehyung sleeps for the whole night. It’s a novel feeling, as cupids are always fully conscious, and never need to sleep. Even when he wakes up, he’s totally disoriented, and it takes him a moment to recognize his surroundings and to remember how he ended there. It’s already morning, judging by the glaring sunlight creeping through the window. 

 

Surprisingly, Brian is sitting on the small seat at the other side of the room, too engrossed in drawing on his notebook to notice the pair of eyes watching him intently.

 

Jaehyung still can’t wrap his mind around the fact that he’s a human now, that he can have actual conversations with Brian, like normal two-sided ones. Oh and the fact that Brian can see him as well. It’s weird. It also means that he needs to be careful not to get caught starring creepily at him. Just like now.

 

“You’re awake,” Brian closes his notebook, puts it back in his bag, then walks to the bed with a smile, “How are you feeling today?” 

 

“Uh,” see? He’s lost his ability to talk now. This situation will take him some time to get used to.

 

“Better, I guess,” is all he can come up with for the moment. It will do, he hopes. 

 

A nurse comes to check on him, and only leaves after entrusting Brian with the task of making him finish his meal and taking his pills. Jaehyung crunches his nose as he swallows down another bite of the questionable thing that’s supposed to be his breakfast. If this is what food tastes like then it’s surely overrated. He puts his spoon back into the bowl and pushes the whole tray away, “This is terrible.”

 

Brian chuckles at his disgusted face, “That’s what hospital food tastes like in general.” 

 

Well, it better be just the hospital food. Jaehyung would not touch food ever again if it all tastes like that. He’d rather starve to death. 

 

“Here, eat these,” Brian hands him a small box, “But don’t let them know that I brought you chocolate, or the scary nurse will never let me in, ever again.”

 

Jaehyung looks at the guy’s smiling face, then the box. Skeptical, he takes it and opens it, praying that it’n not as nasty as his breakfast. He takes a piece and pops it in his mouth, slowly munching on it. When the chocolate melts in his mouth, and the sweetness hits his taste buds, his eyes widen in surprise. 

 

“Wow!” He exclaims, making Brian grin in satisfaction. 

 

“WOW!” He repeats, in lack of something better to say. This must be what humans call ‘delicious’. Maybe food is not that overrated after all. He eats a second piece and a third, and in the matter of few minutes, he finishes half the box. Brian has to forcefully take it away from him, “You’re still sick, you can’t eat this much chocolate yet.”

 

Jaehyung pouts and crosses his arms, dejected, “Now you’re acting like that nurse.”  

 

A chuckle escapes the human. He sits on the foot of the bed and softly says, “The doctor told me you will get discharged today, you can eat as much chocolate as you want at home.” 

 

Then, his smile falls a little and he seems like he’s contemplating something. Jaehyung waits for him to make up his mind and speak again, “Do you have somewhere to go to after you leave the hospital?” 

 

Oh! Jaehyung hasn’t thought about that yet. Where would he actually go now? The old man said he’ll have to live as a human, but didn’t say exactly how. The cupid is basically broke and homeless right now. They didn’t expect him to live like this for so long, did they? 

 

“Since you don’t remember anything, and the police still didn’t find your family, I though that maybe you could come and l-”

 

Before Brian could finish his offer, the door of the hospital room bursts open, and a young woman barges in.

 

“Jae! My dear nephew what happened to you? How could you end up in the hospital like this? Do you know how worried I was since you disappeared yesterday?”

 

She keeps rambling as she drapes herself all over Jaehyung’s body and hugs him tightly. Both guys are frozen in shock by her loud entrance. Jaehyung has never seen this human before, so it’s only normal for him to find what’s currently happening weird. 

 

“Don’t worry, I’m here to take you home!” The woman pats his head as if he’s her pet, so he dodges her hand.

 

“Who are you?” He nonchalantly demands.

 

 The woman pulls back with a shocked expression, and pretends to be wiping a non existing tear. 

 

“Jaehyungie, how could you forget your one and only aunt?” 

 

Jae is about to kick her out, just because of the nickname. Fortunately, Brian is more experienced in the humans’ relations field and interferes in time to tell her that Jae has lost his memory. 

 

“My poor nephew,” the woman pitifully whines, and pounces to hug him again. This time, she gets pushed away for real. She completely ignores the patient and turns to Brian.

 

“You said your name is Brian?” she offers him a handshake, “I’m Park Hyeji, this brat’s aunt.” 

 

Brian bows politely, “Nice to meet you, madam.”

 

“Oh please call me Hyeji, I don’t mind,” she says with a charming smile. The guy nods shyly. 

 

Jae watches their exchange cluelessly. Did he possess some human’s body? And this was that human’s real aunt? What is he supposed to do now? Thank God he came up with the stupid memory loss lie. Now he just needs to keep the lie going. He stays completely shut as the two humans discuss his situation. Not having the attention on him is better. 

 

“Can you give me your number?” Brian asks, “I would like to keep checking on Jaehyung until he gets better.” 

 

Park Hyeji grins childishly, “Of course, of course,” she searches her pockets and gets out a pink small card. She hands it to him, “That’s my personal business card, it has my number so you can call anytime, and we,” she points at herself and Jae, “live at the same address, so you can visit whenever too.” 

 

Brian thanks her, then slowly reads the information on the card. He raises an eyebrow, looking amused, “Cupid Café?” 

 

His amusement is met with a confident response from the woman, “Yep, I’m the owner. It’s really popular.” 

 

Jaehyung rolls his eyes at her confidence, before he’s struck with realization. ‘Cupid’ Café? This can’t possibly be a coincidence. Then this Park Hyeji is a cupid too? Was she sent to help him with his mission? But Brian can see her, so maybe she’s in her human form too? At least, now he feels more reassured to go home with his so called aunt. He’ll get an explanation later. 

 

After changing into the outfit Hyeji brought for him- the shirt is too tight and the jeans are too short- and finishing with his discharge procedure, Jae bids Brian goodbye and leaves with the weird woman in her car. 

 

“So,” he starts once they’re alone, “who are you?” 

 

Park Hyeji flashes him a wide grin, “Cupid H03 at your service.”

 

Jaehyung’s eyes widen, “03?? You must be old!”

 

While he’s not even sure about the secret behind the numbers and letters in the cupids’ naming system, he still thinks that such a number can only be given to an ancient cupid rather than a young one. However, Park Hyeji doesn’t look that old, maybe mid thirties? So she shouldn’t be that old either, by cupid standards. 

 

The woman glares at him, “Say that again and I’ll throw you out of the car. And no, I don’t give a that it’s moving.” 

 

A shiver runs down his back. This woman is really scary. 

 

“Anyways, I’m the head of the Cupids’ Affairs Office,” she explains, “I bet you’ve never heard about it because it’s only responsible for cupids who’re unlucky enough to turn into humans, just like you.”

 

Well, she’s right. He’s never heard about such a thing. Don’t blame him for finding her suspicious. 

 

“And what kind of help do you offer?” He questions, almost challengingly. 

 

“Well, generally we provide shelter and living necessities for them, and help them settle in the human world. We also get them official documents like IDs and passports,”The woman smoothly answers, “ In your case, I will have to help you with your mission.” 

 

Jaehyung still feels uneasy. So he continue interrogating her, in case she slips, “Why didn’t you come get me yesterday then?” 

 

The woman sighs in irritation, “I had other things to take care of. I’ll tell you more when we reach my office.”

  

 

Park Hyeji drives them to a nice neighborhood with small buildings and modern houses. She parks the car in front of a two-story building, surrounded by a beautiful garden. The first floor is obviously the infamous Cupid Café. The tables set outside are all occupied with customers, and through the big glass windows, Jae could see that the inside is packed as well. The woman was not joking when she said it’s a popular place. 

 

Instead of going inside, Hyeji leads him to a fight of stairs by the side of the building, and he follows silently.

 

“I live here,” she tells him as they make their way upstairs, “And starting today you will be living here as well.” 

 

As soon as he steps inside, Jaehyung’s mind could only conjure one word to describe the interior. Colorful. Like really colorful. The walls, the furniture, the carpets, the curtains, and even the lamps, everything is of vibrant color. The exposure to that amount of colors at the same time should give him a headache, but Jae finds it unique and cozy.

 

“Can you wait here for a second? I’ll be right back.”

 

Jae nods and Hyeji leaves the apartment again. He sits on the hot pink couch, and immediately gets distracted by the cushions. The dark blue one is very soft to the touch -probably velvet-, while the yellow one feels rougher under his fingers. He keeps playing with the cushions, curiously studying their textures until he finds his favorite. It’s a glittering black one with a big red heart, and it comes with a surprise. When he passed his hand over a spot, the color changed to soft pink. He loses track of time playing with the reversible glitter cushion, and only realized he’s no longer alone when he hears someone clear their throat. 

 

Jae stands up startled. Hyeji is back with two other guys and the three are currently trying to stifle their laughs. They must’ve came a while back and witnessed his childish behavior. The realization causes Jae’s face to grow hotter. Is this what shame feels like? 

 

 

When she recovers from her amusement, Hyeji introduces the two guys, “Jaehyung, this is Wonpil and Jinyoung, they work for both the Cupid Café and the Cupids’ Affairs Office.” 

 

The first guy, Wonpil, has a blinding grin, and he shakes his hand too eagerly, “I’m Cupid W428, nice to meet you.”

 

The other guy, Jinyoung, just gives him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, “It must’ve been hard on you, I’m Cupid J922.”

 

“Wonpil and Jinyoung will help you settle and will guide you through your stay,” Hyeji adds, “If you need anything then you should ask them.” 

 

Jae glances at the two guys. They don’t seem bad, and since they’re offering their help, then he should accept it.

 

“Are you all in your human forms as well? Or are you fully turned?” He curiously asks.

 

The three exchange a look before Wonpil answers him, “I’m a human, but they both are still cupids in nature.”

 

Jae frowns in confusion, “Was this some kind of punishment, then?”

 

“No. This is one of the cupid’s responsibilities, just like shooting people,” Jinyoung explains, “We’re here because we chose to.”

 

“Because of my higher position, I can willingly turn to my cupid form,” Hyeji further explains, “I can also see cupids and arrows.”

 

Jae knows that they’re not telling him everything, but for now, he have more important matters to deal with. When they’re sure that he trusts them a little bit more, they all settle to discuss his situation.

 

“The report I was give yesterday was brief. It’s better you tell us everything in detail,” Hyeji suggests and Jae complies. He retells them everything that happened in the last two days, as well as the trial. 

 

“So all you need to do is find this guy’s true love, right?” Jinyoung questions. 

 

“Make him fall in love, not just find his true love,” Wonpil corrects him. 

 

Jae nods, “That’s the tricky part. How am I supposed to make him fall in love with someone without the arrows?”

 

Park Hyeji smiles in mischief, “That’s easy though. “

 

“How?” The three ask in unison. 

 

“Since you know this human very well, you can easily predict his type and the kind of people he’s attracted to. So, all you need to do is plant someone in his way, and wait for him to develop feelings for them. A cupid is bound to notice the attraction and might shoot him,” she ends with a shrug, as if it’s the most obvious plan ever. 

 

“Wait wait wait,” Jae holds a hand up, “How am I supposed to ’plant someone one on his way’”, he uses air quotations, “and what if no cupid shoots him? Don’t you think this plan is too vague?” 

 

Hyeji shakes her head, “My plan has a one hundred percent success rate.”

 

Jinyoung frowns at her, “Did you try it before?”

 

She shakes her head, and Jae almost facepalms. He takes a deep breath and tries to further explain the difficulties that they’ll have to overcome for their plan to work.

 

“For all the years I’ve know him, Brian has never went out with anyone. What guarantees that he’ll do it now?”

 

“Are you serious,” Wonpil grimaces, “This guy’s flirting game must be awful.”

 

Jae rolls his eyes, “Brian does not hit on people. People hit on Brian, all the time. He just rejects everyone.”

 

“We’re doomed then,” Jinyoung says under his breath, gaining a kick in the shin from Wonpil.

 

After a moment of deep thinking, Hyeji finally speaks up, “I think he needs a push to start considering those offers, and you should be the one giving him that push,” At least she’s sounding more serious and professional now, “If you manage convincing him to go on dates, he’ll eventually find someone he truly likes. And a cupid shooting him won’t be a problem if you manage to find someone really compatible with him.”

 

Well, the plan seems more logical now, but there’s a teeny tiny detail that might cause a problem.

 

“And how am I supposed to convince him? We’re not exactly that close,” Jae emphasizes the last part, hoping that they have a solution for it. 

 

“Then you start by getting close,” Hyeji says, as a matter of fact. 

 

Right. As if that’s any easier than the whole mission.

 

“I think this is going to be easy!” Wonpil squeaks, clapping his hands excitedly.

 

Jaehyung wishes he can be as optimistic as him. Apparently, he’s not the only one with low expectation, as Jinyoung sarcastically asks, “Oh really? How?”

 

Park Hyeji smirks confidently at them, “Did you forget what we really are?”

 

Her confidence makes a little bit of hope bloom inside of Jae’s chest. If four cupids combine their efforts, finding Brian his true love will be an easy task, right?

 

 

Spoiler alert: it’s not. 

 

-TBC-


It's a slow start but things will start speeding up slwoly. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter !!! Stay safe and healthy and see you next time =D