Past

Ocean's 10
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun, Byulyi, Eunji, Seulgi, Namjoo, Wheein and Hyejin had been preparing for this heist for the past month and it was their biggest heist yet, robbing a major bank tower like Nonghyup Bank.

 

They had done plenty of preparations. From getting a job in the bank, to locating the blueprint to get to the vault, to forging keys, they'd done it all. The seven women even duplicated the bank vault in Eunji's work space to simulate the heist.

 

Seulgi sprayed some hairspray onto the infrared heat detector to insulate it so Wheein had some time to deactive the detector. Seulgi also brought along polyester shields to insulate any heat signatures so they could gain access to the bank through the balcony. 

 

Even though Byulyi was the mastermind behind the heist, Seulgi was the smartest person among them. Which was why the sisters work well together planning the heist together.

 

There was only one door separating five hundred thousand dollars and the seven women, and they were ready.

 

The door to the vault was open, and people always expected bank vaults to be full of cash, but given that these women had pulled several bank heists, they knew better. The Nonghyup Bank vault wasn't full of cash, but their five hundred thousand dollars were there, right in front of them. Byulyi promised them this would be the perfect heist, and it's happening.

 

Yongsun, Byulyi and Seulgi were on look out, while the younger ones were loading cash into their huge duffel bags.

 

"We're ready, unnies. Let's go." Namjoo loaded the last stacks of bills into her duffel bag before slinging it across her slender body.

 

They closed the door after clearing out the vault, but Byulyi and Seulgi were nowhere to be seen.

 

As it turns out, the sisters were busy cracking the safes that kept the customers' jewelry and other important stuff.

 

"Byul, we need to go." Yongsun rushed the sisters, and they nodded.

 

They had prepared emergency escape kits that consisted of harnesses, ropes, gloves and escape ladder. The plan was to use the escape ladder and climb down from the balcony which was only at the second level.

 

It was when they were at the balcony, all ready to finish this perfect heist, that the sound of police alarm sirens brought them back to reality.

 

They must have done something wrong in the process of planning and executing the heist.

 

Namjoo must have missed out an important information in the bank tower. Maybe an alarm hidden somewhere.

 

Hyejin must have missed a security camera in the vault.

 

Wheein must have missed out a key information when she was pretending to be a janitor in the tower.

 

Seulgi must have miscalculated something. Or she must have missed out a heat signature that made them detectable throughout the heist.

 

Byulyi must have missed out something in the plan or she must have missed out something while studying the blueprint.

 

Yongsun must have been careless when mistake proofing the escape plan.

 

Eunji must have missed out a security measure that put them right in this situation.

 

There must be a witness somewhere near the bank tower.

 

But no, Byulyi made sure this plan was flawless and perfect. Failing this heist doesn't make sense with her fantasy.

 

"Unnie, listen to me. You need to go. Bring the girls with you. You need Yongsun unnie, the younger ones are in school, they can't let this ruin their futures. Eunji has a business. I'll stall the police so bring them out of this place and somewhere safe." Seulgi threw her duffel bag towards Byulyi.

 

"NO! I will not leave you here alone, Moon Seulgi. It's a short distance, we can climb down in seconds and run. We have time."

 

"It's over, unnie. We don't have time, so just go! Go!"

 

Before Byulyi could argue anymore with Seulgi, the door flung open and a group of armed police officers came through the door with guns pointed in their direction.

 

"Lay down on the floor with your hands on your head." One of the police officer, possibly the leader of the team, shouted.

 

Seulgi's hand reached for the gun that was tucked in the back of her jeans and pointed right back at the police officer. She turned to Byulyi, "Unnie, I'm not joking. Please, run."

 

None of Seulgi's words went through Byulyi's head. Her eyes were fixated on the gun in Seulgi's hand.

 

Being the intelligent person that Seulgi was, she had secretly bought a used gun from a dealer she'd met at an alley near Eunji's work space years ago. She'd carried the gun during every heist and if she ever let Byulyi know she has a gun, her sister will beat the out of her so no, she kept it a secret and decided to only use it when it's absolutely needed.

 

"No," Byulyi's tone was stern. "I will not leave you here alone!"

 

"Lay down right now or we will shoot." The police officer has had enough. And he was definitely getting impatient.

 

Seulgi threw the gun onto the floor, towards the police officers, letting them know that she was not going to put up a fight anymore.

 

The younger woman walked towards her sister, "Let me take the rap, okay? Blame me for everything. I am the mastermind, I planned every single detail in this heist. I love you, unnie. I know you would do this for me, too. Tell Joy that she is my joy and happiness and that I love her, always, okay? Start a new life without me." Seulgi pulled Byulyi into one last hug before she walked towards the police officer, putting herself at gunpoint. "Unnie, go."

 

"Take one step and I will shoot her in the head." He looked at Byulyi, who was ready to take that step.

 

Seulgi was held at gunpoint—willingly, and Byulyi's heart might have even stopped beating.

 

Seulgi never looked back and it made her seem fearless. Despite the police officer's warning, Byulyi took a step back, thinking that the police officer was just bluffing.

 

But the next thing she heard was the sound of the gunshot, and the sound of it makes Byulyi's knees buckle. She sprinted to her sister and crouched down, trying to stop the blood flow. But Seulgi was shot in the head. It wasn't blood but brains. Even then, Byulyi would not give up on Seulgi.

 

"No, no, Moon Seulgi! Wake up!" Byulyi shook Seulgi violently, triyng to tow her back into life. Except that Seulgi was completely unconscious and she's dead.

 

"Come back to me, please..." Byulyi was a crying mess.

 

The sound of the gunshot and the fact that Seulgi was now lying lifelessly on the floor brought the women back to their senses.

 

Yongsun was the first to pull Byulyi back, wrapping her in a tight embrace. She knew that whatever she said will not be of any help because she knew Byulyi is broken the moment the sound of the gunshot reached her ears.

 

Namjoo being the crybaby was so scared that she started crying and made her same age friends cry too, so Eunji was busy calming them down. Namjoo was so petrified she couldn't move.

 

Byulyi was not allowed to tag along to the hospital and has to be brought back to the police station for investigation. They had to remain silent throughout the car ride, but by hook or by crook, Byulyi made sure they knew and understand that she wanted them to put all the blame on Seulgi.

 

Though it was a selfish thing to do, Byulyi let her dead sister take all the blame. The older woman pleaded guilty to being an acessory to the heist and was sentenced on the very same day.

 

She did not say goodbye to her girls because she knew that if she did, they wouldn't be able to let her go, especially the younger ones. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter