Tensions

Ocean's 10
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good morning, Irene-ssi!" Namjoo walked into Irene's office and greeted her new boss with a chirpy voice.

 

"Good morning, Namjoo." Irene stood up and gathered her files, and led Namjoo out of the office.

 

"This is your desk," Irene showed Namjoo to her own desk which was right outside her office. "I'm going to have a meeting, would you make four cups of coffee and bring it to conference room one? It's just down the corridor." 
 

"Coffee...? Aren't I joining the meeting, too?" Disappointment was evident in Namjoo's voice. She was there to get information on the heist, not make coffee for the senior staff.

 

Irene laughed, "Everyone starts with the basic, Namjoo. Do you know how many cups of coffee I've made when I was just starting out? I still make coffee for the seniors even though I'm a manager." Irene gave a gentle pat on Namjoo's head before making her way to the conference room.

 

Namjoo sighed and headed to the pantry.

 

The intern walked into the pantry and it was pretty quiet. Namjoo grabbed a tray and carefully laid four cups on it, and then carry it to the coffee machine. She waited patiently for the staff in front of her who was waiting for her cup of coffee.

 

"This is unfair. I should just do a bad job and make bad coffee..." Namjoo didn't notice she was voicing her thoughts out loud, because the next thing she heard was soft laughter.

 

"Did you hear what I say?" Asked Namjoo timidly.

 

"You must be new here. I haven't seen you around." The staff turned around and smiled at Namjoo, "I'm Solmi." She extended her hand for Namjoo to shake which the younger woman gladly did.

 

"I'm Kim Nam Joo. I'm Irene-ssi's intern." 

 

"Ah, Irene's new girl. You know, Irene's pretty young too, she even thinks like a young adult. I've seen what happens when new and young staff like you try to get out of making coffee. Irene sent them to coffee making lessons. Now they all make perfect coffee and can't say they don't know how. So you'd better make some kick coffee." Solmi laughed before grabbing her cup of coffee and leaving Namjoo alone in the pantry.

 

Namjoo sighed for the nth time that morning before making some of her kick  coffee. 

 

She recalled the first day she stepped into Eunji's work space. Hwasa wanted to pull a prank on Namjoo so she made her cook for them and clean the work space for a whole three months. And because Hwasa looks much older than she was, Namjoo didn't dare defy her. Until Byulyi decided that it was time for Hwasa to have a taste of her own medicine. 

 

Byulyi told Namjoo to do a really bad job at cooking and cleaning, so bad at it that Hwasa had to do the cleaning and cooking by herself. Hwasa probably figured out that Byulyi taught Namjoo this good ol' trick, so she apologised to Namjoo and brought her out for a meal. It was then that Namjoo realised they were of the same age. She was even older than Hwasa by a few months. 

 

Now, they could laugh at how Namjoo was so afraid of Hwasa that she asked Hwasa if she could drop the honorifics between them.

 

Carefully bringing the freshly made coffee to conference room one, Namjoo noticed that the meeting had started and on the screen was the plan for the day of the jewel exhibit.

 

Before Namjoo could sneak a peek at the plan, Irene gestured for her to go in.

 

"Thank you, Namjoo. I'll be done with this meeting in an hour or so. There are some files on my table, would you sort them out and key those figures into the excel sheet?"

 

Namjoo nodded. 

 

There must be something in her office that are about the exhibit.

 

Walking into Irene's office, Namjoo sneakily lowered the blinds. Irene was definitely a careful and smart woman. Her computer was locked, so Namjoo looked in the drawers.

 

Monthly expenses.

 

Yearly expenses.

 

Employees' file.

 

Namjoo took out the employees' file and flipped through it, in hopes of finding out who might have the security camera matrix that Byulyi wanted. 

 

Manager of Security Department: Kwon Yu Ri

 

"Kwon Yuri..." Namjoo made a mental note before keeping the file back into the drawer. 

 

Namjoo gathered the files on Irene's desk and brought them out to hers so she could start sorting them out like Irene told her to. The brunette also made sure she was mentally ready for the stupid and useless things she was going to do for Irene for the rest of the day.

 

• • •

 

Namjoo walked as fast as her legs could bring her as she followed Kwon Yuri, keeping a distance from her. Yuri changed into a sporty outfit and was carrying a duffle bag, which only told Namjoo that she was either going to do something sporty or she was going to do something sporty.

 

Yuri turned into a corner and entered what seemed to be a boxing gym. 

 

Having weak arms, Namjoo literally wanted to kill herself.

 

Of course the manager of the security department was going to a boxing gym to train, what did Namjoo expect?

 

Namjoo paid for a one time entry to the gym, and headed to the locker room where she last saw Yuri went.

 

As soon as Namjoo entered the locker room, Yuri walked right out. The younger woman quickly shove her things into a random locker and followed Yuri out.

 

Yuri did some stretching before getting into the ring. Namjoo sat outside the ring like a lost child waiting for her mom to come get her.

 

Yuri was definitely an experienced boxer, she boxed like a professional and it was no wonder why she has the qualification to become the manager of the security department. Namjoo was about to doze off when she saw someone pointing at her from the corner of her eye.

 

Please don't let it be me.

 

Please don't let it be me.

 

Namjoo turned, and Yuri was pointing at her.

 

"M-Me?"

 

"Yes, you. C'mon," Yuri gestured Namjoo to join her in the ring.

 

Namjoo timidly put on the boxing gloves that Yuri's trainer gave her, and gave a shy smile.

 

Yuri threw her first punch at Namjoo, which the shorter woman completely did not see coming, and fell to the ground.

 

Namjoo fell to the ground within the first minute of their sparring session.

 

"Are you okay?" Yuri bent down to help Namjoo up.

 

"I'm alright, it's my first time here." Namjoo put on a faint smile.

 

"Why didn't you tell me? I didn't know!" 

 

"I didn't dare to. You were very intimidating." 

 

"I'm so sorry, let me help you." 

 

Yuri led Namjoo out of the ring and to the locker room to clean up her nose.

 

Thankfully, Yuri didn't break Namjoo's nose, just a cut. 

 

Cleaning up the plasters and tissues, Yuri asked, "You look really familiar. I feel like I've seen you somewhere."

 

Namjoo's ears perked up, that was the best chance for her to bring up working at the hotel. "You look familiar too. Do you work at Oakwood Premier Hotel?" 

 

"Ah... You're Irene's girl, right?" 

 

"Wait... Why does everyone know?" Namjoo looked at Yuri puzzily.

 

"Irene never hires herself an intern. So she must really like you. Besides, words travel fast in the hotel."

 

Yuri extended a hand towards Namjoo, "I'm Yuri, manager of the security department."

 

Shaking her hand, Namjoo said, "I'm Namjoo. Security department? So you handle all the security cameras and stuff? It must be so cool!"

 

At this point, Namjoo just wanted to finish her performance art degree so that she can be an actress, because she's darn good at it.

 

"I don't only sit in front of my desk and monitor the security cameras, Namjoo." Yuri laughed, "I attend meetings, train and supervise security officers and guards, and with the upcoming jewelry exhibition, there are even more to do, like making sure the cameras are able to capture all angles." 

 

"Of course. It'd be my dream to be able to be part of the exhibition, I'm happy even if I could only watch everyone plan it."

 

"You'll get your chance, kid." Yuri ruffled Namjoo's hair. "Can you go home by yourself?" 

 

"Yes. I'm sorry for taking up your time." 

 

"Nonsense. I am sorry for punching you." Yuri's laughter was pure like a child's.

 

• • •

 

Wheein opened the door wide enough for her and her Louis Vuitton luggage to enter. "Everyone, I'm here!"

 

Byulyi scoffed, "Is that what you got at the hotel? And why do you even need a luggage?" 

 

"Naeun unnie stole this for me! It can fit my fifty million dollars in this luggage, and why do you even care?!" Wheein stuck her tongue out playfully like a little child.

 

"She even took lots of shampoo and conditioners." Naeun said softly, but loud enough for everyone to hear.

 

"Of course cheap Wheein stole complimentary items at the hotel." Solar rolled her eyes.

 

"We also got this expired key card! We're hoping Hwasa and Hayoung can do something with it."

 

Hayoung turned around as soon as she heard about the expired k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter