Recovery

Follow the Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, guys! Thanks for the interest in this story! Here's the next chapter!

Yesung’s road to recovery was long and difficult.

One would think that after having the transplant, his life would finally be easier. And in a way, it was a significantly easier, since he didn’t have to constantly undergo surgeries or even rely on machines to keep him alive anymore. Still, recovery was a long process for him, and he had to endure more challenges.

After having the heart transplant, Yesung was in the ICU for a few days. Upon regaining consciousness, he had been told of his situation, and his vital signs were constantly monitored. Then, he was moved to a regular room, where he spent a few more weeks.

And even after being discharged from the hospital, it still wasn’t over. Yesung had to attend some sessions in a cardiac rehabilitation center. Also, he had to visit his primary physician (the surgeon who headed his heart transplant) regularly. And then, there was the seemingly endless list of medications. Some medicines were temporary, with Yesung only needing to take them for a set period of time. Some medications, on the other hand, were permanent. For instance, Yesung and his antirejection medicines would have to be best friends for the rest of his life, to avoid any chance of his body suddenly rejecting the transplanted heart.

However, Yesung was just grateful to still be alive.

When he had woken up after the transplant, he had been told that he was given the heart of another young man. Yesung was regretful that another person had to die in order for his own life to be saved. But he counted and appreciated his blessings. With his new heart, he was able to have more time with his family and friends. To eventually resume his work. To have a better quality of everyday living. To have a second chance at life. Despite the still-present challenges, it was much more than what his heart’s previous owner had gotten.

For both himself as well as his heart’s previous owner, Yesung vowed to live his “second life” to the fullest.

Before long, a year had already passed since Yesung’s heart transplant. 

Yesung was currently in his physician’s office for yet another checkup. Dr. Lee was reading through Yesung’s latest lab reports.

“Your body seems to be doing well, Jongwoon,” the doctor said with a smile as she put the papers down on her desk. “Quite well. It’s adjusting well to the heart, and there are, so far, no signs of rejection.”

“Does this mean that we won’t have to do our regular checkups anymore?” Yesung inquired.

After the transplant, Yesung had been told that he had to have monthly checkups to monitor his health and his heart for about a year. Given that it had already been a year and that Dr. Lee said that he was doing well, Yesung now hoped that the checkups would finally be over.

However, his doctor gave him an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry, Jongwoon, but I would actually like to recommend that we continue the monthly checkups for at least another six months.

Yesung’s face fell. At least another six months? That’s another half a year!

“But you said that the monthly checkups for heart transplants only last for a year after the transplant?” Yesung said, half asking and half protesting.

“Well, yes, a year is the normal estimated time for the duration of post-transplant checkups. But in your case, your medical team feels that we need to extend the checkups more than usual.”

Yesung frowned and gestured at the papers on Dr. Lee’s desk. “But the test results show that my body is doing fine?”

“Your body is indeed doing great, but given the extensive amount of time that your body had to bear with having a defective heart, we need more time than usual in your case. Other heart problems that require transplants might not have been in pro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter