Into the Mouth of Hell

Follow the Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Heads up: some mentions of violence in this chapter, but nothing too grotesque and graphic.

Also, the chapter’s title is inspired by Alfred Tennyson’s poem “The Charge of the Light Brigade,” one of my favorite poems from my Anglo-Am literature classes back in college. The poem is about the Light Brigade, a British calvary during the Crimean War in the 1800s. Because of miscommunication and wrong orders from superiors, the Light Brigade unknowingly charged into a battle that they never could have won. They charged into right danger. I would like to share Stanza 3 of the poem, which contains the chapter’s title:

Cannon to right of them, Cannon to left of them, Cannon in front of them Volleyed and thundered; Stormed at with shot and shell, Boldly they rode and well, Into the jaws of Death, Into the mouth of hell Rode the six hundred.

Yesung unwittingly charges straight into danger, just like the soldiers did. Let’s now see what happens to Yesung. ;-;

Underneath Yesung’s suffocating fear, he felt annoyance. Annoyance at himself. Yesung could kick himself for getting himself into this situation.

But with the dark aura emanating from Siwon right now, maybe Yesung didn’t have to kick himself. Siwon looked angry enough to do it for him.

Siwon had one hand clamped over Yesung’s mouth, and his other arm was across Yesung’s chest, pinning him to the wall. Yesung struggled with all his might, but Siwon was, of course, much stronger than him. Worse, due to Yesung’s lack of sleep and food, he was quickly exhausted. He struggled in vain for a few minutes, but his body eventually sagged in exhaustion. 

Sensing that Yesung was now too physically too weak and tired, Siwon removed his hands from Yesung and moved back a little. Exhausted though he may be, Yesung wasn’t just going to waste such an opportunity. He tried to make for the door, which was only a couple of meters away. But his legs were shaky from the shock and exhaustion, and Siwon beat him to the door. Due to the broken door knob, the door couldn’t be closed properly anymore, but Siwon slammed a hand against it, keeping it shut just as Yesung’s hand held onto the door knob and tried to yank it open.

Siwon then seized Yesung by the hips and bodily threw him back further into the living room, away from the door. Yesung stumbled a bit, but he was thankfully able to regain some balance and didn’t fall down. As he straightened himself again, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. Loathe as he was to do it, he had no choice now but to call for some help.

But while he was now willing (though still quite reluctant) to call for assistance, Siwon, of course, wasn’t just going to allow it. He tried to grab the phone, and for a few moments, he and Yesung wrestled and fought for the phone, their skins getting bruised and hit and scratched. Yesung had no chance of winning against Siwon in the wrestling match for his phone, and with a strong push from Siwon, Yesung found himself on backdown on his living room’s floor.

Siwon could have then just snatched the phone from Yesung’s hand. However, probably out of great anger that Yesung had tried to call for help—tried to call for others, Siwon stomped on Yesung’s wrist.

“AH!” Yesung shouted as pain shot up from his wrist. His fingers automatically released their grip on the phone.

Siwon grabbed the phone, threw it down to the floor, and stomped on it as well. Just like what he had done with Yesung’s wrist. The fragile glass and metal of the phone were crushed and shattered.

Yesung’s eyes were watery due to his painful wrist, but he still picked himself up from the floor and forced himself to stand up again. Clutching his wrist against his chest, he looked at Siwon.

Siwon was glaring angrily—almost hatefully—at Yesung. Siwon’s bulky and muscley body was between Yesung and the door, blocking the only way out of the apartment. 

Yesung was afraid to shout for help. Siwon might attack him again for it. Yesung supposed that he could try to run for his bedroom and barricade himself in there. But that still wouldn’t change the fact that he was trapped in the apartment with Siwon. And Siwon would probably catch him again before he even made it to his bedroom. More importantly, Siwon might be more provoked if he tried to escape again. Every part of Yesung, especially his throbbing wrist, was cringing against the idea of experiencing more pain.

It seemed like Yesung didn’t have a choice but to really face Siwon now. He gathered all of his courage again. He couldn’t let Siwon see him as scared and weak. He might better ward off Siwon if he didn’t seem like easy pickings.

“Siwon, leave!” Yesung said, trying to make his voice as strong and hard as possible.

“I told you that you can’t make me leave you!” Siwon snarled. “You’re mine! You can’t keep me away from you!”

“I made it perfectly when we broke up that you’re no longer welcome here! You’re breaking and entering, and you just assaulted me! Leave!”

“I tried to be gentle and patient with you, Wookie, but you’re too stubborn!”

Yesung’s eye twitched in irritation at being called that blasted nickname again.

“I’m not Ryeowook!” he shouted. It’s been over a month since they had broken up, but Siwon still couldn’t absorb the fact that he wasn’t Ryeowook! “And what are you talking about, saying that you’re ‘gentle and patient’?! You’re the opposite of ‘gentle and patient’!”

Siwon had put up a good façade during the start of their relationship, but there was really nothing “gentle and patient” about him. It was just too bad that Yesung hadn’t realized that until it was already too late.

“I tried to woo you and be sweet with you through the gifts and notes! I tried to shower you with love and affection to get you back, but you keep resisting!”

Yesung gawked at him. Siwon thought that he was being sweet with those notes that basically told Yesung that he was stalking him?!

“Siwon, there was nothing sweet about those gifts and notes! They can’t woo anyone—all that they did was to creep me out! How’d you keep getting them into this building, anyway?!”

“I make one of my people deliver them to your doorstep using the fire exit,” Siwon now responded coolly in a matter-of-fact tone, crossing his arms over his chest. “That was also how I got into the building tonight.”

Yesung could have slapped himself. The fire exit! Of course! There was a metal stairway attached to the side of the building to be used as an escape during emergencies. Each floor had its own access to that fire exit. Yesung and the landlord had only kept watched over the building’s main entrance when they had been trying to figure out how Siwon was getting the gifts into the building. They hadn’t even considered the fire exit! Stupid! It was such a huge oversight!

And now, it seemed like Yesung was going to pay for that oversight.

“You’re breaking and entering!” Yesung reiterated. “You could be arrested for this!”

“You really think that someone like me can be imprisoned?” Siwon challenged, implying his great wealth and influence. “Especially for something as innocent as going in here to see my own boyfriend?”

“There’s nothing ‘innocent’ about you breaking into the building and into my apartment! And I’m not your boyfriend anymore! Goddammit, Siwon, I told you that we’re over! Will you just lea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter