1- Who are you?

Housemates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 15th 2017 – Cemetery

 

Prayers were read, funeral hymns sung, fond memories spoken out-loud. It was an age of getting back to the earth, knowing our beginnings and our end, accepting them both with a wholesome heart. We come from mother earth, born and vulnerable; we return to her embrace as the same simple beings, sending our spirits to our Father above.

Everyone's heads were down. Maybe it was them showing respect for the billionaire Yoo Minjun. Everyone was crying and sobbing as two men buried the man who was loved by many. He owned a canned food factory. He did his best to do charities and help his workers. But they are sure that they will be in safe hands with Yoo Manse, the only child of Minjun and that Minjun is in a good place now.

Manse was accepting condolences with a broken heart. He is left with a big responsibility but he must succeed and not disappoint his family.

“He used to talk a lot about you” an old man said as he shook hand with the short haired girl “he was so proud of you Jeongyeon, you are a successful journalist now I wish I will have a grandchild like you” he smiled at her. The latter smiled back, she was too tired to reply with words as she stared at her grandfather’s headstone. The latter used to live with them, and to say that she is affected by his death is an understatement. She is going to miss their morning chit-chat so much. He was always there to listen to her dumb love stories or how she hates those politicians that ruins the country’s economy.

“But think about it” the man continued “you are now a billionaire because you will inherit him soon so I was thinking if-“

“Thank you for coming to the funeral sir, we are very grateful” she faked a smile. The tall girl sighed and walked to her father who was sobbing non-stop. How people can be this heartless at this hard time?

“Let’s go home father” she said caressing his back followed by her mother. The ride to their mansion was silent. Manse headed to his bedroom as soon as he stepped into the house “dad you should eat something” Jeongyeon said worriedly as her father didn’t eat anything since last night.

“I don’t have the appetite” he replied. 

“Don’t leave him alone” Jeongyeon said to her mother who followed her husband immediately. 

Jeongyeon walked faintly to her bedroom, she threw herself on her king-sized bed and stared at the ceiling blankly before her phone vibrated in her hand.

Mina: My sincerest condolences to you and your family. I wanted to come to the funeral but I know you don’t want to see me. Are you okay Jeongyeon?

The latter turned off her phone without bothering herself on replying. She placed her phone at the bedside drawer and covered her eyes with her arm. She silently cried alone until she fell into a deep sleep.

~~

The three consolation days passed painfully slow for the distressed family. Jeongyeon and her father just came from their meeting with the lawyer who read her grandfather’s legacy. He fairly divided his heirs such as properties, money and shares to his family members even for charities. 

Jeongyeon is now a billionaire, she already saved some money but she was shocked about the amount of money he left for her, and that was the best chance to become independent. The 27 years old gathered with her parents in the living room to break the news for him “I decided to move out and live alone in an apartment” she fidgeted with her fingers and smiled at them “I will choose a small apartment near my work, I want to stay alone for a while” 

Manse held his daughter’s hands and smiled “you know that we never against anything you do. From your studies, style and uality. We are always here to support you” 

Her mother, Suzan, couldn’t hold her tears. Jeongyeon side hugged her and laughed “mom I will visit you on weekends I swear” she caressed her mother’s arm softly. 

“Mina called me” Manse said. Jeongyeon froze at the mention of her ex’s name “she was a good girl but too bad, she didn’t deserve you” 

Jeongyeon nodded and doze off angrily “cheating shouldn’t be forgiven. If she did it once she would do it again I am sure. That’s why I didn’t give her a second chance” 

Suzan nodded “you are right. You need a break and whenever you need a shoulder to cry on, I am here”

Jeongyeon had the perfect parents. She is always afraid of losing them or getting envious by others but right now. She wanted to live alone and take a break from everything. Her breaking up with Mina followed by her grandfather’s death were enough reason for her to get depressed and down. 

After taking a warm shower she sat on her bed and opened her laptop. Searching for apartments for sale. 

Some apartments were too big; some were too expensive or too far. 

She took a sip of her tea as she looked at one apartment in UN village, Yongsan-gu “that seems fine” she said as she dialed her owner’s phone number. She stood up and walked back and forth in her bedroom. It was almost nine at night. She prayed that he would pick up and her prayers were answered. 

“Hello?”

“Hello?” replied the man.

“I saw an ad for your apartment I wonder if you still want to sell it” 

“Yeah sure, let’s meet tomorrow at three. Is it fine with you?”

“Yes sure! Goodnight” 

“Goodnight” 

~~

Meanwhile…

In one of Seoul’s alleys a blonde haired girl was being kicked out of her house “I WILL CALL THE POLICE” she yelled at the guy who pushed her.

“CALL THEM AND LET’S SEE WHAT THEY SAY” he hollered back “I gave you three weeks to empty the house and you didn’t leave!” 

The girl stepped forward while smiling “just one night” she begged “please?” 

The guy looked at her coldly and shook his head. He went back into his house and slammed the door. The girl sighed and looked around. The street was empty and it was dark and cold

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter