24 Minutes

MiTzu Book Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

24 minutes.

That's how long it took me to fall for her.

Let me explain.

I ran into her at a subway station on the way home from school. Her hair was disheveled from the wind. She's beautiful, and she was tall, towering above me.

By running into her, I meant she charged head-on straight into me. She dropped her books all over the floor, grinning abashedly at me as she picked them up.

"Sorry."

Four minutes.

My heart was leaping out of my chest.

I knew it was wrong. I had a boyfriend, although she seemed to be ignoring me lately more than anything. Even so, I wondered why I was so affected by this strangers smile?

She gathered her books and, flashing me another smile, went on her way. That would have been the end of it, just four minutes of heart-thumping and dizziness and confusion.

But fate had other plans. "You forgot your wallet!" I shouted at her as she scrambled towards the platform

She whirled around, dropping her books, pencils and paper in the process. They scattered onto the floor around her.

split into a wide grin. "I just seem to be dropping everything today, don't I?" Her teeth were pearly white..lips were..

Ten minutes.

I ran over to help her pick up her pencils and paper. We gathered her things in silence, making eye contact occasionally. Something was there, something static. It crackled every time we looked at each other, it simmered in the air.

 

Her hand brushed mine and I swear to god I felt something electric pass between our skins. She stared at me, and I wondered if she had felt it too.

 

Fourteen minutes.

 

We stood up, and she brushed the dirt of her pants, clutching her books tightly. The subway whirred noisily up to the platform, rushing by in a blur before it came to a stop.

 

"Are you going this way?"

 

"Yeah I am." I lied. My house was in the opposite direction, but I felt like I needed just ten more minutes with her. Just ten.

 

We boarded the crowded train, the throngs of people pushing us to the back. I braced myself for the impact, but a strong body covered mine from the crowd, her hands on either side of my head.

 

It was like being enclosed in wall of her. Her scent was overwhelming.

 

Eighteen minutes.

 

"Sorry about this. I uh...I didn't get your name?"

 

"Mina"

 

She smiled. I realized how close our lips were.

 

"I'm Tzuyu."

 

The crowd slowly dissipated, but she stayed where she was, with hee arms on either side of my head. She wasn't touching me, but I could feel her body heat. She was warm.

 

Twenty minutes.

 

"Have you always been this tall?"

 

"Ever since I was younger. I look nothing like the rest of my family. I'm adopted."

 

"Do you miss them...your parents?" I briefly wondered why I was asking a stranger such personal questions, but she was so close and smelled so good and...her gaze was clouding my judgment.

 

"I don't know. I never knew them."

 

"I'm sorry." I said automatically. 

 

She smiled again.

 

"Don't be."

 

"I never knew my mother. She died in childbirth." She probably didn't want to know my depressing life story, but I felt like I had to tell her. I felt like she deserved to know.

 

Twenty-three minutes.

 

"I'm sure your mother was very beautiful." She said, giving me a small smile.

 

"How do you..."

 

"Well...well I mean...you...you're..." Tzuyu's pretty face flushed a bright crimson. I felt heat flood to my cheeks, my heart trembled and suddenly my lips felt very dry.

 

I them and watched as her eyes followed my tongue.

 

Twenty-four minutes.

 

The train stopped, and she stepped back. I wrapped my arms around myself, suddenly feeling cold.

 

She stepped onto the platform and gave me a wave. I waved back, and we held each-others gaze as the doors closed and the train whirred into the darkness. Then she was gone.

 

I groaned loudly, drawing weird looks from the other passengers as my knees collapsed and I sunk onto the dirty floor.

 

24 minutes. I had fallen for her in 24 minutes! And I would never see her again.

 

-x-x-x-

 

Being the great person that I am, I was busy mooning over Tzuyu my dreamy-subway-girl when my phone vibrated in my pocket.

 

It was my boyfriend. I had absolutely totally forgotten about him. Talk about awkward.

 

I picked up the phone. "Hey Mina want to come over and watch a movie or something?" I smiled, grateful for the distraction.

 

"Sure. Be there in a few."

 

My boyfriend's name was Mark. He was just a bit taller than me (I was 5'3), and he had a round face and slightly dark skin. He was cute, a good kisser and fun to hangout

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter