Two Way Game

MiTzu Book Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N : I'm sorry for late Update and grammatical errors. This is a Very long One Shot. Thanks for reading, please let me know what you think. 

 

Minatozaki Sana weaved through the bustling lunch crowd. Just as she had reached her destination a hand grabbed her and drew her back. Before she could protest, the mystery person put their hand - warm but rough - over . Once inside an empty classroom - after being guided back through the crowds she had just managed to weave through – Sana looked at the person.

 

"Wha-" Sana began, a finger poised in the air, pointing at the person but Sana was left dumbstruck when she saw who it was.

 

"I need your help," the person standing before her said.

 

Sana was at a loss for words. Never had she heard the person sounding so desperate or nervous.

 

Sana crossed her arms in defence. She wasn't going to give in without any explanation. "You have two minutes. Go."

 

-x-x-x-

 

Myoui Mina nearly dropped her phone. "You want me to do what?"

 

Mina asked her best friend, who was on the other line, shocked.

 

"Um…" the voice on the other end spoke nervously. "Look, I really like her Mina and I would appreciate it if you did this for me."

 

"Sana-ya have you lost your mind?!" Mina shrieked into the phone. She could almost see her friend moving the phone away from her ear.

 

"No. Now, will you help me?"

 

"Help you 'seduce CHOU TZUYU so she can open her eyes to me'?" Mina asked. "You want me to seduce her so she can fall for you."

 

"Well…"

 

"Do you understand how stupid that sounds?" Mina demanded. "This is wrong on so many levels."

 

"Please, just do this one thing for me," Sana begged. "Please…"

"No. I'm sorry but not even ten years of being your best friend can bargain for what you're asking me to do."

 

"Mina. I rarely ask you to do anything for me. Just do this one thing, please!" Sana crossed her fingers, hoping her best friend would come through. The silence on the other line meant that Mina was thinking about it. That always meant that she would say…

 

"Minatozaki…" Mina whined. She always used Sana's last name when she was a little pissed. It was 'Minatozaki Sana' when all hell was going to break loose. "Yes. Okay, I'll help you."

 

Sana squealed and proceeded to thank her best friend repeatedly.

 

"You owe me," Mina said dropping down onto her bed. "Big time. Chou Tzuyu is our school's demi-God."

 

"Exactly why I hired a professional," Sana said into the phone, grinning from ear to ear.

 

"Aw," Mina cooed. She stopped the pretence. "Flattery isn't working. I'm still mad."

 

Sana coughed, concealing her laughter. After talking for a little while longer, the two girls hung up the phone.

 

And so it begins, they both thought.

 

 

-x-

 

At school Mina and Sana never spoke of the conversation they had the day before. They didn't speak of it until the subject of the talk sauntered into class. Sana turned to the right and looked into her friend's annoyed brown eyes.

 

"You said you would help," Sana said with a desperate plea in her voice.

 

"Oh stop sounding so desperate," Mina snapped. There was a little hurt in Sana's eyes. Guilt filled Mina. "It does nothing for your pores."

 

Mina gave Sana a small apologetic smile. Sana replied with a nod in Tzuyu's direction. Mina shook her head. Mina had to admit that she was a little amused by her friend. Not once had Mina seen Sana so eager over a girl.

 

 

"Not now," Mina whispered seeing the teacher come in to class. He began taking the register. Mina watched Tzuyu during the fifteen minutes they had in class. She was leaning back on her chair. She noticed the way her hair would move as the wind swept in through the open window. The more Mina thought about it, the more she began to realise that they shared more classes than Mina had even cared to think about.

"When exactly did you and Tzuyu meet?" Mina asked Sana as they left the classroom. Mina realised that the two didn't have any lessons together. Sana tinted red and looked a little nervous.

 

"Here and there," was her only reply. Mina frowned. There was more to it than met the eye. Mina shrugged it off. She adjusted her bag strap. Her hands felt unusually empty.

 

"Crap!" Mina exclaimed. "I forgot my folder in class. I'll see you at break." Mina and Sana only shared form class, History, ICT and Maths together; all three of those subjects were taught by strict teachers. Break and lunch were the only real times they hung out at school.

 

Mina managed to arrive to her first period English class just in time. Giving her teaching a small smile and apology, she went to sit at her usual seat at the front of the class, but it was occupied. Mina was in no mood for an argument so she scanned the class for any remaining seats. Lo and behold the only seat left was the one that was next to Chou Tzuyu…way at the back of the class.

 

Mina cursed Sana's luck. Mina sat down at her new seat next to Tzuyu. She noticed that she didn't even spare her glance. Not even one! For some reason this irked Mina. She realised that her work was going to be cut out for her.

 

The lesson was pretty simple; as she expected it to be. The class was nearing their end of term exam. In preparation for the summer exams the test was going to be about the book they were reading 'Lord of the Flies'. The task was to go over any important events in the book and note them out.

 

Mina's mind wasn't focused on the task at hand, but the small (huge) favour that Sana had asked her to do was taking over her mind. Mina kept trying to think of ways she could easily strike up a conversation with her.

 

I could ask her for pen…

 

The plan went out the drain when she saw that she had placed out two pens on her table. Mina may not have been as school crazed as Sana was, but she was still pretty organised.

 

Darn it.

 

Mina looked at Tzuyu out of the corner of her eye. She back was hunched; she was scribbling down notes. One hand was used to open her book, while the other was writing down notes. Mina noticed her reach out for her red pen to underline a couple of words.

 

Mina cackled to herself. She had a plan. She picked her bag from the floor and rummaged around it.

Mina drew breath. "Hey," Mina whispered to Tzuyu. She noticed her tense a little. She looked up at her. Mina's breath nearly caught. It must have been the first time she ever actually looked at her properly because while before she looked at her face she now saw the way her hazel eyes. She also saw how her pretty long hair hung floppily on her head. Mina finally saw how pretty she was.

 

"Um, do you think I could borrow that red pen?" she asked. "Please?" she added.

 

Mina held her breath as she waited for her to reply. She swore she could see something pass over her face though she didn't know what. Mina was more of a talker than a reader.

 

Tzuyu nodded. Mina subtly let out her breath. She picked up the pen and handed it over to her. Mina took it, giving her a small smile, one that she returned but more tentatively.

 

Mina gave herself a mental pat on the back. She did good. However after about a second of doing a little congratulatory dance in her mind, she blanched when she wondered what the hell she was going to use it for. She looked out of the corner of her eye. Once she saw that Tzuyu wasn't looking, she discreetly opened her planner and started writing a note out to Sana.

 

Clicking the lid back onto the pen, she handed it back to Tzuyu.

 

"Thanks."

 

"No problem," she murmured. That was probably the first time Mina had ever spoken to Tzuyu.

 

Phase one – Talk to subject for the first time. Complete.

 

"So!" Sana cried sitting down under the tree next to Mina. "How did it go? Did you manage to seduce her yet?"

 

Mina calmly bit into her apple. Sana gave her an impatient look. Mina threw her a wad of paper. Sana looked at page that was torn out from a school planner.

 

'Dear Sana,

I hope you appreciate this. I'm using Chou Tzuyu's red pen. I had to talk to her for this. Thank me! Phase one is complete. Don't ask me if that's all I did because if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this my way.

Please don't make a shrine for this note just because it's written in her pen. And don't give me a 'pshh, yeah right' look, because I still remember when you wouldn't change those socks of yours because Hirai what's-her-name complimented them.

 

Love, Mina. =)'

 

Sana looked up to see her friend smirking. Mina watched her as Sana opened but then closed it, then frowned about to look up, but didn't as she read the note.

 

"How-" Sana began.

 

"Ten years baby. It counts for something," Mina replied. Sana rolled her eyes and tossed the note into her bag.

 

The two spent the rest of the lunch period talking and gossiping. They didn't notice a pair of amused hazel eyes watching as they clutched their stomachs because they were laughing so hard.

 

 

-x-

 

A week later and Mina still hadn't spoken to Tzuyu, not since the borrowing of a red pen in English class. Sana was growing a little impatient. She was acting a lot more skittish than usual, she was ditching Mina after school and on the phone twenty-four seven. If Sana hadn't asked Mina to 'seduce' Tzuyu for her, she'd have thought that Sana had a secret lover.

 

"You don't have a secret lover do you?" Mina asked her bluntly. Sana almost dropped the latte that Mina had just handed to her.

 

"No!" Sana exclaimed. "Gosh, why would you think that?"

 

"Just wondering," Mina shrugged.

 

"Right," Sana said sceptically. "I've got to go drop my brother off to football practice. I'll see you tomorrow, kay?"

 

"Sure thing. Bye," Mina said. Sana waved and left. Mina adjusted her work apron and put her pen and notepad in the pocket of her apron.

 

During the weekends Mina would work at the local coffee shop to earn a little extra money. Her parents refused to give her a raise in her allowance, so getting a job was the only other solution to her money problems.

 

"Hey, Mina. Can you do my table 3 please?" Mina's co-worker Rosé asked. Mina nodded and walked over to table three.

 

Mina was in for a second surprise, in regards to Tzuyu, because there she was sitting at the table, alone.

"Hi," Mina said with a smile on her face. It wasn't like she was glad to see her, it was mandatory for every worker to serve with a smile.

 

Mina watched as Tzuyu's head shot up startled. Her eyes looked guarded but they warmed up when she saw the smile on Mina's face.

 

"Can I get you anything?" she asked, her pen ready to take down her order.

 

"Um, yeah. Can I get a black coffee please?" she asked, her eyes never leaving hers. Mina scrunched her nose. It was a reflex for her since she hated drinking tea with no milk. "You don't like that combo?"

 

It was Mina's turn to look up startled. She blushed. "Well…not really. I mean, how can you stand it? It's so…bitter!"

 

After a moment Mina realised she had probably insulted her in some way. She opened to apologise but Tzuyu put her hand up.

 

"No, I get that from a lot of people. My mum tries to put milk in it and even if it's a drop, I can't drink it." Mina laughed a little.

 

"Each to their own I guess. Is that all you want?" she asked. Tzuyu nodded. "I'll be right back with your order."

 

Mina walked over to the tea maker and as soon as she did Rosé came bustling back from the storage room. She was looking a little flustered, a few seconds later, Lisa – another worker at the café – came out of the room looking just as flustered as Rosé was. Mina could only raise her eyebrow at her.

 

"Ahem. Well, thanks for this Mina. I can take it from here," Rosé said blushing. Mina nodded knowingly. "Table three right?" she asked picking up the tea pot.

 

"Mhm. Black coffee," Mina said leaning against the counter, watching her friend.

 

"Anything else?" Rosé asked after seeing Mina staring at her.

 

"Oh no. Nothing else," Mina simply said, smirking. She walked up to Rosé and whispered in her ear. Rosé squeaked ran to the back, her hands trying to cover her back. Her visibly red lacy bra was unhooked. Mina laughed and picked up the coffee Rosé had made. There was a smile on her face as she walked to Tzuyu's table.

 

"Here you go. Enjoy," Mina said setting the coffee down.

 

"Thanks." Mina smiled and turned to go. "You have a nice smile."

 

Mina froze. She turned around. "Oh," she smiled hesitantly.

 

"Thanks." Mina quickly walked back to the front of the store. She wanted to hide her blush. The girl sure knew her way around women. It wasn't a wonder that Sana had fallen for her, she thought. A few minutes later, she went to serve a table full of University students. She saw their University logos embroidered onto their bags and tops. When her eyes settled on table three, Tzuyu was gone. She shrugged. It wasn't like that was her only opportunity to ask her to hang out.

 

Mina sighed as she thought about what Sana had asked her to do.

 

 

"Just hang out with her once! You'll mention me a couple of times. Just once, swear to me just once. Then you'll spend the rest of the time finding out what an amazing girl she is," Sana had said. Why she was so insistent that she only mention her once was beyond her. Her friend had been acting weirder than usual.

 

"Mina! Why don't you take off? You've already done two extra shifts this week," Taeyeon, her manager, said. Mina smiled gratefully and went to change.

 

"Have fun," Mina whispered to Rosé as she walked passed her. Rosé grinned, blushing and nudged Mina ever to slightly. "Bye you guys!"

 

Mina left to a chorus of 'goodbyes'.

 

"Black coffee?" Sana asked wrinkling her nose. Mina nodded taking out her ICT folder. "How can someone drink it plain?"

 

"That's exactly what I said. Literally," she added as an afterthought. Sana laughed.

 

"You told her that?"

 

"Well, it was a little odd. There wasn't any sugar either."

 

"Only you Mina," Sana said shaking her head with a grin on her face. Mina shrugged, a small smile playing on her face. "So what's the next step?"

 

Mina was hoping Sana wasn't going to ask her that. She honestly had no idea what to do next. It was seem highly suspicious if she randomly started hanging around with Tzuyu.

 

"You have no idea do you?" Sana asked amused.

 

"None."

 

"Well, just go with it. Oh, I don't think I'm going to be here at lunch. I've got to catch up with some art," Sana said with a scowl on her face. "Sorry."

 

 

"Ah, I'll probably catch up with some reading." Mina loved her other friends, but sometimes they were too much to handle and with Sana not by her side it would be a little…unbearable.

"Sure thing," Sana said. She turned to face the teacher because he started talking about their next task, but also because she wanted to hide a smile that was forming on her face. A smile that was oblivious to Mina.

 

 

Fifty minutes later the sound of the bell indicated it was time for the next lesson. Mina had Biology next while Sana had Art. Then it would be lunch.

 

 

"I'll see at form then," Sana said waving her friend off.

 

 

"Yup, see ya'." Mina saluted her friend before entering her biology lab. Her eyes immediately were drawn to Tzuyu.

 

Crap.

 

Mina forgot that she had the next lesson with her. This lesson to be exact. She noticed her give her a smile. Mina returned it with a smaller one. Her shock was not evident on her face but she was. Borrowing a pen and handing out coffee earned her a smile from a girl she didn't even acknowledge before. She didn't think it would be that easy.

 

A thought suddenly struck her.

 

If it were that easy to befriend hee then why didn't Sana do it herself? Mina didn't even know why Sana couldn't do the seducing herself.

 

Mina made a mental note to ask her the next time she saw her friend.

 

"Mina! Dawwling, yellow!" Mark tuan, one of her long time friends called out. He was a bit on the eccentric side. Mina grinned at him and waved. They went way back.

 

Mina turned to greet her partner, but was met with thin air. Mina frowned and looked around, her lab partner wasn't in class. Mina realised she hadn't seen Bambam, her partner, all day. She assumed he was sick. Wanting to be nice, Mina decided to copy her notes for him too. Bambam always helped her out when she was sick, so now it was Mina's turn to repay him.

 

"Right class. Today we'll be doing a short practical. It'll be short but you have to do it properly. This experiment, method and results, will be the focus of your end of term text next week."

 

The teacher rolled her eyes as the class groaned.

 

"Um, Miss? Bambam's away today," Mina said sticking her hand up. Experiments were always done in pairs.

 

"Hm…" Miss Seohyun looked around the class. "I guess you'll just have to make a three. Move over to Mark Tuan's group. I'm hoping you can get those two to concentrate more."

 

Mina looked over at Mark tuan's group. Mina almost cursed when she saw who he was partnered with.

 

Yup, Chou Tzuyu.

 

Mina wondered if she was being Punk'd. She had been seeing more of Tzuyu than she had done so in the last four years.

 

"Alright Mina," Mark greeted her with a high-five. Mina rolled her eyes but slapped his outstretched hand. Mark's parents and Mina's parents were good friends; they grew up together. "How's ole' Papa S?"

 

"He's dead," Nina replied with a smile.

 

Tzuyu looked a little lost. Aw, she looked like a puppy, she thought.

 

"It's this old joke. Goes way back," Mark said to his friend. Mina nodded.

 

"My dad died when I was nine. Mark here, being the real sensitive guy, told me that we could share his dad."

 

Tzuyu laughed but styled it out as a cough.

 

"That's not even the joke!" Mark defended.

 

"I know. I thought it'd be a cute story."

 

"Get on with it woman," Mark said impatiently. Mina glared at him but turned her attention to Tzuyu.

 

"Anyway, this one time he must have accidentally asked me how my dad was. This was after he died. Mark looked so guilty, he was stuttering and all. I was young, I didn't really know my dad so I didn't really miss him…Does that make sense?" she asked.

 

Tzuyu thought about it for a second but nodded.

 

"Right, so Mark thought I was going to cry and get all upset but instead I calmly told him that he was dead."

 

"Then she gave me this adorable grin, missing tooth and all. Boy was it a relief that she didn't knee me in the balls or suttin'," Mark said shaking his head. "Now that would've been a cute story."

 

 

"Minari. Don't distract those two further," Miss Seo said shaking her head as she handed out the instruction sheet.

 

"Aw don't blame her Miss," Mark said locking his arm around her. "She's just too cute. Ain't she cute Tzu? Tell her she's cute."

 

Mina opened to tell her that she didn't have to, but she shocked her for a second time with her answer.

 

"She's cute alright."

 

"There ya' go sweetuns," Mark cooed. She let go of Mina and clapped his hands. "Now, let's get this party started. Whaddya' say we mix a couple of these beauties?" Mark asked holding up two test tubes.

 

Tzuyu and Mina looked at each other, then at Mark.

 

"No way."

 

"Tzu?" Mark asked weakly. Mina took the chemicals off him before he could do some permanent damage. Tzuyu moved the other chemicals on the table away from her. "Haters," he muttered under his breath. That earned him a whack over the head with a pair of goggles from Tzuyu.

 

"So…" Mina said after the group lapsed into silence. They were waiting for any bubbles to appear, there were none so far, but that was expected.

 

"So, what are your plans for the Easter holidays?" Mark asked.

 

"Well, you know the Myoui household. Invite the whole neighbourhood for an Easter egg hunt, big dinners, laze around in the sun."

 

"Am I invited?" Mark asked wagging his eyebrows.

 

"Mark, you know you are. You come over every year," Mina said.

 

"The way it should be," he said nodding. "Why don't you come over Tzu?" Mark looked at Tzuyu.

 

"Um…" Tzuyu trailed off looking at Mina. Mark too looked at her expectantly. Mina frowned for a moment before realising why they were looking at her so weirdly.

 

"Oh!" she said. "Oh. Sure, if you want." Mina gave her a reassuring smile.

 

"Cool. I'll ask my mum."

 

Mina nodded.

 

"My best friend Sana comes every time too, she doesn't live in the neighbourhood but no one really cares. As long as you take part, it's all good. You know Sana right?" Mina asked Tzuyu.

 

"What about me?" Mark asked. "Ain't you gonna' ask me?"

Mina ignored him. Of course she knew her. The idiot.

 

"Yeah, I've seen her around," Tzuyu said casually. There was something different in her voice, but Mina couldn't pick up on what it was exactly.

 

"Great!" Mina said beaming. "She's great. Always finds the most eggs. Ruins it for the kiddies she does." Tzuyu gave her a small grin.

 

"A bubble!" Mark cried after giving up on Tzuyu and Mina. The latter two turned their attention to Mark. "Oh wait, false alarm. It was just a piece of the plant."

 

Mina groaned and started writing out her notes as well as the more detailed ones for Bambam.

 

"Well done class," Miss Seo said fifty minutes later when each group was packing away their equipment. "A job well done. Mr Tuan, Ms Chou, I see that Miss Myoui has been a good influence for you two."

 

"I personally think it's the other way around," Mark said shrugging.

 

Mina rolled her eyes and picked up her bag.

 

"See you all next lesson," Miss Seo said shaking her head at Mark. Mina waved her teacher goodbye.

 

"Wait up!" Mark shouted after mina, who had already left the classroom. Mina turned to find Mark and Tzuyu.

 

"What's up?" Mina asked gripping onto her bag strap.

 

"Nothing Mina. Just wanted to, you know…talk to you?" Mark finished off uncertainly.

 

"You telling me, or asking me?" Mina asked a little amused.

 

"Um…"

 

"Listen. Mark, darling, it's lunchtime. I'm hungry and you're wasting precious eating time. Speak if you must but do it fast," Mina said, tapping on her wrist.

 

"That would've been more effective with a watch," Tzuyu said.

 

"It would've been right?" Mina said with her shoulders now slumped.

 

"Okay. I saw you two do this weird thing that you're doing now with your minds," Mark said switching his looks between his two friends.

 

"But so not cool dude. I don't get what you're saying."

 

 

Mina's heart started beating just that extra bit quicker. Mina made sure to keep her eyes focused on Mark. Will power only got a girl so far, because her eyes darted to Tzuyu for a millisecond, during which she saw her eyes hard on Mark.

 

 

"Grow a few brain cells and then you'll know," Mina said giving his arm a friendly pat. "Later guys." She gave them a two finger salute and walked towards the library.

 

"I think you need some brain cells!" Mark called out behind her. "The lunch room is the other way."

 

"I know!" Mina called out without turning around. Nina shook her head. "Idiot," she muttered under her breath.

 

Twenty minutes later and Mina was absorbed into the world of young Pip and Miss Hyo. "Speak," Mina whispered into her mobile. She looked around the library to see if anyone was watching her. Mobiles in school were frowned upon, but using it in a library meant in detention and confiscation of the phone.

 

"Hey it's me," the voice on the other line said. Mina thankfully recognised the 'me' to be Sana.

 

"Hey, I'm in the library so speak quickly."

 

"Oops! I just wanted chat to you," Sana said from the other end sheepishly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter