Chapter Six: The Sixth Month

The Arrangement of Us
 
 

“Why can’t we sleep?” Yoongi grumbled, a deep pout on his face.

 

“Because then your sleep schedule will never adjust and we won’t be able to do anything fun,” Somin explained. “Oh, there’s my bag,” she commented, seeing the navy blue boxy suitcase come around on the machine.

 

“But it’s just our first day. We have two whole weeks, so we should rest up so we have maximum energy for the rest of the trip,” Yoongi reasoned, lifting the luggage off, placing it on the ground with a gentle thud.

 

“Yoongi,” Somin made a face, the two of them making their way out of the airport.

 

“How about we wash up and then we can go out to dinner, turn in early, and then for the rest of the trip, I’m all yours. We’ll do whatever you want,”

 

“Anything?” her eyes sparkled, turning to face him as her hand was raised in the air to hail a taxi.

 

“Anything,” he chuckled.



 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Finally!” Yoongi sighed, his arms raised above him as he stretched out his arms. “I’m gonna take a nice long nap,”

 

“As if you weren’t going to do that regardless,” Somin chuckled, thanking the driver and paying him, slipping him a generous tip for helping her take out the suitcases. “Come on, take the bags,” she said, skipping ahead of him towards the entry.

 

“I knew you only married me for my body,” the older man wiped his fake tears, gripping onto the handles of the bag as he rolled them in, taking a place next to Somin at the reception. “Good evening. We have a reservation under the name Yoongi and Somin Min?” he quickly switched into English, his voice deepening a little compared to his Korean.

 

“Yoongi Min?” a masculine voice spoke up. “It really is you!” Somin turned around to face a man about the same age as her husband, his tan skin glowing as he took two long strides towards them, standing a little taller than Yoongi, and old man strolling right behind him.

 

“Namjoon,” Yoongi smiled, although it didn’t seem natural, as he extended an arm towards the stranger. “It’s nice to see you. What brings you here?”

 

“Hey, why are you being so formal?” he laughed, switching into their native Korean. “And of course I would be here, didn’t you hear? My father has given me full control of our hotels in North America, and I’ve made this hotel my home base,” he explained, eyes shifting towards the girl.

 

“And who would this be?” the old man asked.

 

“Somin, my wife,” Yoongi explained, his arm wrapping around her waist to bring her closer. “The wedding was a small intimate affair, and with our busy schedules, we weren’t able to have our honeymoon until now. The wedding was small, so we are very sorry we couldn’t ask you to attend,”

 

“Why, thank you for giving me the honor of having your honeymoon here,” Namjoon’s smile brightened. “Stephanie, do me a favor. Cancel the reservation they had and place them in our couple’s deluxe honeymoon suite for the duration of their stay,” Namjoon called to the young woman at the reception desk.

 

“Oh no, we couldn’t - ” Somin started, looking at Yoongi for some support.

 

“Albert, take their bags up to their room! My old buddy from college is here on his honeymoon with his gorgeous wife, I simply must do anything that I can to make sure that you have the best stay possible,” Namjoon cut her off, already gesturing for them to follow their belongings going up.

 

“I’ll see you two for dinner in an hour,” the old man nodded, already turning around and walking away.

 

“Dinner? They just got here father, we shouldn’t - ” Namjoon started.

 

“Dinner in one hour,” the old man cut him off, walking away with Namjoon on his trail.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Somin whispered as they slowly followed their bags into the elevator.

 

“Kim Namjoon is the son of Kim Bokjoon, the current CEO of Kim Hotels, which includes the hotel we’re staying in right now. That old man was Kim Bokjoon,”

 

“Kim Hotels? Kim Namjoon is his son?” Somin asked, slightly shocked. “That was Kim Bokjoon?” The future CEO of one of Asia’s largest hotel chains was a 26 year old who wore cliche flower print button downs and khaki shorts with flip flops?

 

“Kim Namjoon is an easy going guy, we went to business school together, but it’s his father that’s calling the big shots for now until he retires. Now that he knows that we’re here, we can’t get out of this. We have to keep him happy because losing him as a client would be a big hit to the company,”

 

“This sounds like work. This was supposed to be a vacation for the both of us,” Somin frowned.

 

“Don’t worry,” Yoongi chuckled, adjusting his hold around the girl. “We make it out of this dinner, and the rest of this trip will be the best ever vacation you’ve ever been on, I promise.”



 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“So Yoongi, son, how is the business going?” the old man with greying hair asked.

 

“It’s going very well sir. Our stock market price seems to be going up ever since we finished the hotel you opened in Jeju Island,” Yoongi responded, his voice loud and clear.

 

Even at the age of 58, Kim Bokjoon wasn’t one to be messed with. He started his hotel business in his younger days, expanding it to become one of the largest chains in all of Asia, opening new locations in different parts of the world. He was powerful enough that no one had the power to call him out on the not so ideal aspects of his life, such as the 39 year old woman that was seated besides him.

 

“So young and handsome, already the CEO of the company!” Kim Raeyeong cooned, shifting her arms as she looked the boy up and down. Namjoon, next to the woman, noticed and rolled his eyes, moving his chair further the slightest bit. “Namjoon honey, maybe you can take some tips from Yoongi,”

 

“Don’t call me that,” he muttered under his breath, stirring his wine cup, the dark red liquid moving with it. Somin could feel the tension radiating from both her husband and the man in front of her, but knew it was best to keep shut.

 

“Kim Bokjoon is...an interesting man,” Yoongi started, using the towel to dry his hair.

 

“Don’t sugar coat, this may have been the first time I’ve seen him, but I have heard plenty about him. He’s the world’s biggest misogynist but no one can actually call him out on his bull. Everyone, including Namjoon, is just waiting for him to announce his retirement,”

 

“Basically,” the man sighed, throwing the towel on his empty suitcase. “This is going to be the worst dinner of our life. And I’ve been more boring company events than I can even think of,”

 

“Don’t be a big baby,” Somin giggled, fixing her makeup as she stood in front of the bathroom mirror, turning her head to the right to see Yoongi staring back at her. “We’ll get over it, have some good wine on their expensive, and then we’ll call it a night,”

 

“I guess,” Yoongi sighed. “There’s one good thing to this dinner at least,” he commented, shoving his wallet in his back pocket. “I’ll wait for you downstairs, gonna get some fresh air,” he called on his way to the door.

 

“Wait, what’s the one good thing?” she asked, stepping out of the bathroom.

 

“The hottest woman is gonna be there, and I get to call her my wife,” he smirked, waving at her before exiting, leaving Somin and her increasing blushing face alone in the hotel suite.

 

“Somin, you must be incredibly lonely during the day while Yoongi is at work. We should exchange numbers so us young girls can go shopping together!” Mrs. Kim turned her attention to Somin.

 

“Oh, I actually work for the company too. My father was the previous CEO of Woo Studios, and actually the head interior designer for most projects in Seoul, and other smaller projects in different regions as well,” Somin explained, watching the older woman’s reaction immediately change.

 

“You must have a few maids then in order to keep the house all clean then. No way you could keep a big empty house clean if you’re not home all day or cook food for your husband,”

 

“Well, Yoongi and I don’t live in a big house per say. It may be a little big for just us too, but we also have a cat that we took in, and no maids either. Yoongi and I are pretty tidy people so it’s never been an issue, and we take turns making food, although Yoongi is slightly better than in me terms of cooking,” Somin replied, eliciting a chuckle from both her husband and Namjoon.

 

“I remember back in business school, Yoongi would always be munching on some snack. Nice to know that he’s really grown,” Namjoon smiled.

 

“How do you feel about Somin working?” the older man suddenly spoke up.

 

“Pardon me?” Yoongi asked, choking on his wine at the question.

 

“How do you feel knowing that your wife is out during the day working when she should be at home. Is she going to continue working even after you have children?” he looked over the cup of his Scotch, seeming relaxed as ever as he leaned back in his chair at the head of the table.

 

“I believe Somin is free to do whatever she pleases, and if she would like to work, that is her choice. I would support any decision that she makes,” Yoongi replied, his tone steady as he tried to contain his anger and annoyance.

 

“Better at your own company than somewhere else so you can keep an eye on her,” he commented, taking a sip of his drink. Somin felt the anger bubble up inside, her, about to open to say something to the man when she felt something in her lap. Yoongi’s hand tightly gripped onto hers, his head subtly shaking. Knowing the damage that would happen to the company, Somin bit her tongue, turning her eyes in any direction but Kim Bokjoon.

 

This is going to be one long dinner,’ she thought to herself, taking a rather large sip of her own wine.



 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

2 hours and too much wine later, the couple were finally able to bid their goodbyes and make their way out of the hotel restaurant, Namjoon accompanying them to the elevator. “I’m really sorry about my father and her,” he sighed. “I tried talking him out of this dinner but you know how stubborn he is,”

 

“Don’t worry Namjoon,” Somin sighed, her eyes slightly glossy at how tipsy she was. “I know you’re nothing like that buffoon,” she smiled.

 

“Looks like Somin is a talker when tipsy,” Namjoon chuckled.

 

“I held myself back so much tonight, I can’t stand him,” she shook her head.

 

“Luckily, they’re flying back to Korea first thing in the morning. Raeyeong - sorry, Stepmother has a procedure in the morning,”

 

“Oh no, is she okay?” Somin asked.

 

“She’s just getting her botox touched up,” the older man sighed. “I’ll let you two go up now, you had a long trip and a long dinner. Somin, take care of Yoongi. He’s very frail when tipsy,” Namjoon chuckled.

 

“I’m not frail, I’m a very tough man who just happens to be very in touch with his sensitive side,” Yoongi frowned, intertwining his hand with Somin.

 

“He also gets very touchy and wants to cuddle, but you probably already know that, you guys have been married for 6 months now,” Namjoon smiled. “I may not be that close to Yoongi, but he’s still a friend of mine, which means I also consider you a friend. And I look out for my friends no matter how close I am to them, so if you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to ask me,”

 

“Thank you Namjoon,” Somin smiled. “Good night,”

 

“Good night you guys, I’ll see you around,” Namjoon waved, watching them get into the elevator.

 

“I’m tired,” Yoongi said, leaning his head against the elevator wall.

 

“That’s dirty, Yoonie,” Somin said, pulling his head away from the wall and instead on her shoulder as they waited to go up to the 18th floor.

 

“Yoonie,” the older man giggled, clearly having consumed too much wine in a short period of time. “I like it when you call me that,”

 

“I’m glad you like it,” Somin smiled, looking straight ahead hoping that he couldn’t feel her face heat up.

 

“There’s only one bed, so we have to share,” Yoongi commented. letting his eyes close.

 

“I’m aware. We’ve shared a bed before,”

 

“Can we cuddle?” Yoongi asked, his voice much softer as the elevator dinged their arrival.

 

“After we wash up,” Somin chuckled, loving the way that he adjusted his hold on her hand so it was slightly tighter than before.

 

30 minutes later, after Yoongi had washed his face and changed into his pajamas, he was already under the covers, minutes away from falling asleep. “Hurry up Somin,” he whined, the alcohol still running strong through his blood.

 

“I’m just drying my hair, do you want me to get sick?” she replied, using the towel to dry her hair the best as it could, running a comb through it really quickly.

 

“We’re going to cuddle which is going to keep you cozy, so you won’t catch a cold,” he reasoned.

 

“Haha, okay, Dr. Min,” Somin chuckled, turning off the bathroom light. “If this is you tipsy, how are you when drunk?”

 

“I never get drunk because I’m smart. So smart I could be a doctor. I would kick as a doctor. Now I just kick as a CEO,” he replied.

 

“CEO, doctor, both are excellent careers, I think you’re doing just fine,” she said, getting under the blanket, Yoongi’s arms immediately bringing her closer so that their faces were inches apart, his hand sliding under her head while the other one rested at her waist, his body scooching closer so he could slip his legs between hers. “You really like cuddling, huh,” the girl’s voice was barely a whisper.

 

“I really like cuddling with you,” Yoongi replied, his eyes opening a little to look at the girl in front of him. Somin had taken a shower so her face was bare of any make up, allowing him to see the beauty marks that she had randomly on her face, his finger coming in to caress the one under her right eye. “Why don’t we do this at home?”

 

“Cuddle?” Somin asked.

 

“Share a bed. We’ve been married for six months and you still sleep on the futon upstairs. Why don’t you come into the bedroom with me if you’re okay with sharing a bed with me?”

 

“Are...are you okay with that?” she asked.

 

“I don’t like the thought of you sleeping on something uncomfortable when I sleep on a bed every night that is big enough for the both of us. Also…”

 

“Also?”

 

“It gets lonely and I get sad knowing you’re upstairs. You’re so close yet still so far,”

 

“I didn’t know you felt like that, Yoongi,” Somin’s cheeks turning slightly pink, and she wasn’t sure if it was because of his words or this touch that was still on her face. “I would love to move into the bedroom with you,” she smiled.

 

The two lay there for a few moments and Somin would’ve thought that her husband were asleep if it weren’t for the soft movement of Yoongi’s finger drawing patterns on her cheek.

 

“I’m really sorry Somin,” he spoke up softly.

 

“For what?”

 

“For dinner and everything that Namjoon’s father said about you, to you. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but his are just so disgusting and backwards thinking, and he had no right to say that. How do I feel about my wife working? I don’t have an opinion because I’m your husband, not your guardian. Yes, we’re married, but it’s also 2020. I’m not going to keep you from living your life, you can make any decision that you want, as your husband, I’m going to support you,”

 

“It’s fine, Yoongi. Mr. Kim is an important client,” Somin said.

 

“No, it wasn’t. I knew that he thinks like this and I still didn’t say anything to defend you and I stopped you from speaking up to defend yourself. What kind of husband am I?”

 

“A very good one,” Somin said, her hand coming up to rest on his cheek, Yoongi immediately relaxing against her touch. “We both know that you don’t think like him at all, and we know the damage that could come out of saying something to him. We just need to wait until he announces his retirement and Namjoon takes over the company. Don’t worry yourself for I never once blamed you at all. I don’t think I have it in me to get angry at you,” she chuckled, letting her eyes connect with Yoongi while his own flickered up and down.

 

He truly was one of the most beautiful things that she had ever seen in her entire existence, and his eyes held the entire galaxy.

 

“Can I kiss you?” he asked.

 

“Please,” her voice was soft, immediately muffled by Yoongi’s lips. Somin let her eyes close, her hands slithering until they were at the base of her neck, her fingers weaving through his hair as his hands cupped her face, his previous drowsiness totally vanished.

 

“I’ve been wanting to do that for so long,” he revealed when the two pulled apart for air.

 

“Took you long enough,” Somin chucked, her glossy eyes skinner brighter than before in contrast to the pink dusting over her cheeks.

 

“Make another snarky comment and I’ll kiss you again,” Yoongi smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear.

 

“Not unless I triple dog dare you to kiss me again,” the alcohol in Somin’s bloodstream giving her enough confidence to snap back.

 

Their lips moved together in harmony this time but compared to the first kiss, it was much slower. They weren’t desperate to show the other person something, it was just them two in that moment of time with no other worry.

 

“I really like you,” Yoongi mumbled, his lips against hers as he was falling victim to his jet lag, savouring the slight taste of Somin’s strawberry lip balm.

 

“I really like you, too,” Somin chucked, allowing him to press his lips against the tip of her nose. “Good night, Yoonie,”

 

“Good night, Minnie,” his voice mumbled as he fell asleep, the girl held tight in his embrace.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

Yoongi woke up slowly the next morning, the sun glaring directly into his eyes and he opened his eyes squinting, one hand rising up in an attempt to block it. He felt warm breaths against the thin t-shirt he wore to bed the previous night, a leg draped over his hip and hooking behind his knee. He tried getting up but immediately felt his head heavy as if someone was hammering a nail into his brain, falling back down as he let out a groan.

 

“What’s wrong?” Somin yawned, Yoongi’s shifting waking her up.

 

“My head,” he complained, closing his eyes as he used the pillow to block out the sunlight. “I think I drank too much wine last night,”

 

“You think?” Somin chuckled.

 

“I remember us talking to Namjoon and coming up...I remember we were talking about something related to you moving into the bedroom with me back home, but I don’t really remember anything after that,”

 

“You don’t?” Somin asked, immediately stilling.

 

“No...did I do anything weird?”

 

“No...no, you didn’t,” she replied, her voice soft as she sat on the edge of the bed, her back to the man.

 

“Are you sure?” Yoongi asked. “Everything fine?”

 

“Yup, all good,” Somin asked, standing up from the bed and walking towards the bathroom. “Just thinking about what we should do today,”

 

“Anything you want to do, I promised that I was all yours for the trip,” Yoongi reminded her, turning to lay on his stomach.

 

He doesn't remember, Somin. I should’ve known it was too good to be true…’ she thought to herself.

 

Why do I taste strawberries?’ Yoongi thought to himself, turning once again with his head turned to the side, his eyes making contact with Somin’s lip balm. ‘Did we...but she would’ve told me, right?

 

Yoongi sat up straight, his eyes widening more than he could’ve ever imagined as he felt his body fill with panic.

 

Did I confess to her last night and forget about it? Try to remember!’ he thought to himself, flopping back on the mattress. ‘Min Yoongi, you clown. You think you finally worked up the courage to confess to her, but can’t even remember. Absolutely wonderful,