Chapter Two: The Second Month

The Arrangement of Us

 

 

“How?” Somin asked, pacing back and forth the small living room, Hye Min and Seokjin sitting on the couch as Yoongi leaned at the door frame, the small kitten attempting to climb his leg.

 

“How did I get pregnant?” Hye Min chuckled. “Well, you see, one night - ”

 

“That’s not what I mean and you know it,” Somin glared at her. “What are you doing here at my house, disturbing my husband and I?”

 

“Oh, he’s your husband now?” Hye Min rolled her eyes.

 

“You got married one way, I got married another,” the younger’s eyes turned cold. “Does it matter how when at the end of the day we both have a ring on our left hand?”

 

“Somin, why are you being like this? We’re sisters,” Hye Min asked, a hand coming up to rub her protruding bump.

 

“Yoongi, if you don’t mind, can you take Seokjin into the kitchen so I can talk to Hye Min in private?” Somin turned back.

 

“Seokjin and I are married - anything that you want to say to me, you can say in front of him,” the older girl said.

 

“Hye Min, you say we’re sisters, but you disappeared from my life with no word. If you were planning to leave, a warning would have been nice. You have been ignoring my messages for the last four months, but now you expect me to welcome you into my home with a warm smile and hugs?” Somin frowned. “You were the one person I could trust in my life, and then you just left. I’m sorry but you can’t just expect me to be okay with this,” she shook her head. “Congratulations on your marriage and the baby,” she replied, turning around to pick up Min. “Yoongi, if you could walk them out when they’re ready to leave,” she looked up at him. He nodded his head, bidding her a soft goodbye and remained silent until he heard her footsteps go up.

 

“I’m sorry for her, she’s…” he started.

 

“No, it’s understandable,” Hye Min shook her head. “Everything she said was correct. You were also forced into this marriage because of me,”

 

“Don’t say it like that. You found your true love. Forcing you to marry my brother wouldn’t be right,” Yoongi softly smiled.

 

“But at the cost of hurting my little sister?” she questioned.


 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦


 

“Somin?” Yoongi asked, walking up the stairs to the study. “Are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine, why?” she replied, engrossed in something on her screen, with headphones in her ear.

 

“I have some hot chocolate,” he said, placing the cup next to her on the desk. “I’ve never been up here, you know,” he commented.

 

“Knock yourself on looking around,” she said, typing away. He walked around with his cup of hot chocolate, doing just that. The staircase led up to the side of the study, a large desk with a large PC screen and keyboard set up, a bookshelf with files stacked upon files on one side, another bookshelf with novels on the other side. There was a couch against the wall, but Yoongi assumed that she was using that as a bed as it was currently neatly made with two pillows and a blanket, where Min was sleeping.

 

“Are you really okay up here alone? You don’t have a proper bed,” Yoongi asked, taking a seat on the makeshift bed, placing his half empty cup on the floor to properly stretch out so he was lying in starfish formation. “This isn’t that bad,” he said, letting his eyes close.

 

“You better not fall asleep on my bed,” Somin warned, glancing over her shoulder.

 

“I’m not, I’m not, just resting with my eyes closed,” he mumbled back, the lack of sleep from during the week catching up.

 

“Yoongi,” she called again.

 

“You’ll wake Min up, shh,” he replied, his hand gently rubbing the kitten.

 

“Tsk, you were so opposed before,” she shook her head, resuming her work as she took a sip of her hot chocolate. She turned up the volume, knowing that just another half hour or so on this design proposal, she wouldn’t have to work on it over the weekend and she could send it to the junior designers first thing Monday morning.

 

Eyeing the clock, it was a little past midnight, but she was finally done. Smiling, she saved the file, cracking her fingers and neck as she stood up from her desk where she heard the soft snores of a certain someone.

 

“Yoongi,” she whispered, gently shaking his sleeping figure. “This isn’t your bed,”

 

“Lemme sleep,” he mumbled, frowning at her voice.

 

“You can sleep once you go down,” she said, shaking him again, but it was no use.

 

“You sleep there,” he mumbled, and moments later, he was snoring again.

 

“You’re so childish,” Somin said, about to shake him once again when she got a closer look at him. There were deep eye bags under his eyes; Somin knew that since the merger, he had been under a great deal of stress, but she didn’t know it was getting to him this much. “Just this one night,” she whispered to herself, picking up his empty cup from the floor and taking it down with her own, washing the cups before brushing her teeth and walking to the bedroom.

 

She hadn’t been in there since the day they first moved in and she knew that this might be the only time she had to get a good look. It was mostly empty, with the exception of the bed in the middle, two closets on one side. There was a desk against the wall next to the ensuite door, papers in one pile on the right side, a photo frame of Yoongi and her from their wedding day. It was empty, but it was very Yoongi at the same time. The walls were white, and most of the furniture was dark, but the almost overwhelming scent of sandalwood and vanilla - the soap and cologne that Yoongi used - was what made Somin feel comfortable. As she slipped under the covers, she couldn’t help but feel the most comfortable she had in weeks, the scent of Yoongi lulling her to sleep.


 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦


 

“Look Min, you think your mother is even alive?”

 

Meow,”

 

“Tsk, such a mama’s boy, of course you would take her side. Just remember that I’m the one that fed you dinner and breakfast,”

 

Meow,”

 

“Take a picture of her? You’re right, she looks so silly. Here, make a cute pose next to her,” Yoongi said, placing the kitten on the bed as he took his phone out. Min walked top of the blanket, his paws leaving no imprint as he made himself comfortable next to her sleeping body. Yoongi smiled, opening the camera app to take a picture of Somin, her dark hair sprawled about the pillow as she was huddled into a small ball, snuggling the pillow.

 

“I can hear you, you know,” she opened one eye to glare at Yoongi who only continued to take pictures. “You better delete them,” she said, getting up as she yawned, removing Min off the bed and on the floor so he could run around.

 

“You look so cute though,” Yoongi said, showing her his new lockscreen: the picture of her sleeping with Min trying to climb her body.

 

“Yoongi, no!” she exclaimed, reaching out for his phone just as he pulled his hand back.

 

“Somin, yes!” he laughed, his gummy smile on display.

 

“Yoongi, delete it!” she exclaimed again, jumping out of bed to get closer to him.

 

“Maybe if you can catch me, then you can take my phone and delete it yourself,” he waved his phone, running out of the room.

 

“Get back over here!” Somin ran out after him, chasing him from the main bedroom into the entrance house into the kitchen where he threw her off to escape into the study. “There’s only one way back down and I won’t let you distract me again,” Somin warned him, a playful smile on her lips. “We can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way,”

 

“Oh, Somin! I’m so scared!” Yoongi stuck his tongue out at her from the edge of the futon bed.

 

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” she said, bolting to crash into him, pushing Yoongi down against the cushioned futon, bringing her down as he pulled her wrist, so she landed on him. “Oof,” she winced in pain. “, are you okay?” she asked, rolling off him as the two were cramped next to each other in the same space, taking a good look at his face. ‘This is the first time I’m seeing his face so close and holy , how did I not notice how handsome he was?’ Somin’s eyes widened as she realized that one false move, and there would be absolutely no space between the two. “Wait, Yoongi, where did you get a cut from?” she asked, moving her hand to turn his face, taking a closer look at the cut on his face.

 

“My screen protector was cracked up, and I dropped my phone on my face when you KO’d me, the glass must have cut me,” he winced when her finger madde contact with it.

 

“, I’m so sorry,” she frowned, moving her fingers further south from the cut.

 

“You know, if you’re really sorry,” Yoongi’s voice dropped an octave, his eyes moving from her eyes to her lips and then back up, “you can kiss it better,” he smirked.

 

“Ugh, you are so annoying,” she groaned, pushing him away as she stood up, not wanting him to see how pink her face was turning. “I’m going to go wash up, you should do the same,”


 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦


 

“Don’t you think you’re being dramatic?” Somin asked, pointing to the small band aid that the older male had right below his eye to cover the cut from earlier today.

 

“I was injured after being attacked, and now I am making sure it does not get infected,” he stuck his tongue out at her.

 

“I did not attack you,” she scoffed. “If anything you provoked me,” she said.

 

“I just want to show off to the world what an adorable kitten I have taken into my home! What’s wrong with that?” he replied, trying to stop himself from smiling.

 

“First of all, you didn’t even want Min about 24 hours ago, and you’re his number one fan? Second of all, that picture is mostly me,” she pointed out.

 

“So I have an adorable kitten and an adorable wife, sue me!” Yoongi’s words caused Somin to turn pink as she was left speechless. “What, no comeback now?” he smirked.

 

“Shut up,” she said, taking a huge bite of her food.

 

“Anyways...are you going to contact your sister?” he asked, his voice slightly more serious than before as he brought up the events from the night before.

 

“No, why would I?” she shrugged.

 

“Because she’s your sister?” Yoongi raised his eyebrow.

 

“And? She abandoned me when I needed her most, and she’s doing fine - clearly, looking at how she’s married and expecting a baby,” Somin stood up, taking their plates to the sink.

 


“But don’t you want to get to know your future niece or nephew?”

 

“I - ” Somin paused, standing still with the soapy plate in between her hands, staring down at it. Yoongi took this opportunity to stand up from his seat, slightly pushing her to the side.

 

“I’ll do the dishes, you go relax in the living room,” he said softly, taking the plate and sponge from her hands.


 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦


 

A few nights later, Yoongi walked into the living room to see Somin was sprawled on the rug, stretching weirdly with Min next to her, playing with the small blankie hanging off the couch. “What are you doing?” Yoongi asked.

 

“Thinking,” she grunted, continuing her routine. “I’m working on this blueprint for the Kwon family, and I’m thinking about how to go about some of their requests,”

 

“Here, sit up straight,” he laughed, taking a seat behind her on the couch. He quickly grabbed the TV remote, playing their episode of the drama they were watching the night before, before placing his hands on her shoulders, pressing hard.

 

“What are you doing?” Somin asked bewildered, moving away from him.

 

“Giving you a massage,” Yoongi replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Clearly you’re thinking very hard, but worrying about it is going to cause you to overstress, which leads to tension in your muscles. This will help you relax,” he went on, gently pulling her back so he could continue massaging her back, kneading at the base of her neck and shoulders. Somin couldn’t deny that his hands were working wonders, helping her feel more relaxed than she had ever felt in a long time, her eyes struggling to stay open as she was dozing off. “Is this okay?” Yoongi asked, his voice soft as his hands creeped further down her back, Somin nodding.

 

The two of them sat in silence as the episode was playing, the screen being the only light in the dark room. “Somin?” Yoongi whispered. “Let’s go to bed,”

 

“Tired, I’ll sleep here,” she said through her yawn as she was half asleep, moving from her criss cross position to lay down on the rug.

 

“You can’t sleep here,” Yoongi said, standing up as he extended his arms towards her. “Come on, up up, we both have work tomorrow,”

 

“No,” Somin shook her head, turning her head away from him.

 

“Somin, come on, don’t act like a child. Stand up and go to your room,”

 

“I didn’t make you leave when you fell asleep in my bed. Just let me be Yoongi, it’s warmer here than my own room anyways. Go to your own room,” she pushed his legs with her own, letting her eyes close.

 

“Fine, whatever,” Yoongi rolled his eyes, leaning down to pick Min up, but the kitten made a sound of annoyance. “You really are a mama’s boy,” he glared at the kitten, grumpily making his way towards his own bedroom, getting under the covers of his bed, closing his eyes as he got into a comfortable position to sleep.

 

“Aish, this girl is driving me crazy,” he sat up about 40 minutes later when he was still awake. He felt his body filled with drowsiness, but was unable to sleep with his head full of worry about Somin. He threw the covers back, quietly walking back to the living room. Somin was huddled into a small ball on the rug, her neck looking uncomfortable as she had no pillow. Yoongi leaned down, gently lifting her and placing her on the couch. She shifted a little, Yoongi holding his breath, and letting it out once it was clear that she wasn’t going to wake up. He grabbed the small blanket, placing it on her body to tuck her in properly, taking a seat on the floor in front of her, crossing his arms on the space in front of her to place his head down. “Sleep well, Somin,” he whispered, giving into the sleep his body was craving.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

Sorry for the short update after a week long of waiting! It is currently finals week for my university, so this is all I managed to write in the midst of studying! Promising a much longer chapter as soon as exams are over! Stay safe everyone!