Chapter Five: The Fifth Month

The Arrangement of Us
 
 

"What do you mean you’re busy? I’m on maternity leave which means you have to keep your schedule empty for me!” Hye Min whined on the other end of the phone.

 

“I’m going back to work soon, so I’ve been looking over some files of the projects that my office worked on while I was gone. Jimin’s workload went up a lot while I was gone, the least I can do is make it easier for him when I come back,” Somin explained, looking through a document on her laptop screen.

 

“How do I know that you’re not lying to me? You seem to be wanting to spend a lot more time with your loving husband ever since you guys stayed here,” the older woman teased, Somin’s face warming up.

 

Somin was awoken slowly in the middle of night. She felt a cramp in her neck and after blinking away some of the blurriness in her eyes, she took in her surroundings. She had slid down from her previous position and was now using Yoongi’s left thigh as a pillow while he was still sleeping with his back against the headboard, his own neck’s position looking painful to the girl. She carefully maneuvered herself, moving besides him. “Yoongi,” she whispered, gently shaking his body. “Come on, let’s get a little more comfortable,” she said, but alas, her husband tended to be a heavy sleeper. She tried moving him down, but failed to move him to a more traditional sleeping position. She slid off the bed, deciding to pull his legs until he slid the mattress, smiling when it was working.

 

When she deemed that he was in a better position, she tried lifting his head, trying to place the pillow directly under his head. “Come on, Yoongi. You don’t want your neck hurting in the morning when you wake up,” she said, despite the fact he probably wouldn’t be able to hear her.

 

“What are you doing?” Yoongi spoke up, his sleepy voice deeper and raspier than usual, sending chills down Somin’s spine.

 

“You were going to be in pain if you slept like that all night,” Somin explained, finding his head easier to lift now that he was not totally asleep.

 

“I was fine,” he said, shifting from his back to his side, wrapping his arms around the girl’s body, rubbing his nose against the girl’s neck before letting out a deep sigh. “I sleep the best like this,” he softly said, and moments later, his light snores filled up the room again. Finding the weight of his arms on her body as comforting rather than heavy, Somin too fell asleep in his arms.

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Somin said. “I have to go now Hye Min, I have a lot of work to get through. I’ll call you later,” she hung up without waiting for a reply from the other end. The next morning, Somin had awoken up alone, Yoongi already have leaving for work early in the morning, promising to be back in the evening to pick Somin up and drive them back to their home.

 

That was two weeks ago. Since then, the only time that Somin would see Yoongi would be at the dinner table, but even then he would be too tired to carry out a proper conversation. They would still carry out their nightly practice of watching a show together, but Yoongi would always be falling asleep halfway through the episode. He would claim that he wasn’t tired, but Somin always convinced him it was alright, they would finish the episode tomorrow. They would bid their goodbyes and then return to their own bedrooms.

 

“Why am I upset that we don’t spend as much time together?” Somin complained one day.

 

“I said it before and I’ll say it again: Boss man is falling in love, and your train is not that far behind his,” Jimin responded, his voice clear as ever from the other line.

 

“Jimin, you know I don’t like when you speak in riddles,”

 

“I mean that you are falling in love with your husband, just like he is,” the younger man explained.

 

“What!” Somin exclaimed. “I am not in love with him!”

 

“Not yet, but he does make your heart flutter, right?”

 

“I don’t have to answer your question,” Somin muttered.

 

“The sooner you come to terms with your blooming feelings, the sooner you can do something about them. Although you two are already married, so all that’s left is consummating - ”

 

“OKAY, we’re done with this topic. Go back to work,” Somin said, her voice louder than usual when speaking on the phone.

 

“I was working. You called me and started this conversation. I am not the one acting like a ten year old when talking about - ”

 

“Jimin,” Somin said, her tone warning.

 

“Sorry, the deed,” Jimin replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “There’s nothing wrong with falling in love with your husband. In fact, wouldn’t it be the best case scenario. After all, you don’t want to spend the rest of your life never experiencing love,”

 

“Love…” Somin’s voice was soft as she repeated the word slowly.

 

“Love is an experience everyone should experience once in their life. It makes you crazy, you do things you would never do before, but that feeling at the end of day when you realize that as long as you have that one person, nothing in the world seems impossible. That feeling is pretty darn amazing. And you, of all people Noona, deserve to experience that feeling for the rest of your life,”

 

Somin wasn’t sure how long she was lost in her thoughts until she felt something brush against her legs. She peered under the desk, smiling when she saw Min. “Hello there, my precious little baby boy. Are you hungry?” she cooed, getting out of her chair to scoop the kitten into her arms. He had grown over the months, no longer an actual kitten but an adolescent cat, but that wasn’t going to stop Somin from babying him. “Oh, it’s almost time for dinner. You want some yummy fish, Min?” she cooed as she walked downstairs and into the kitchen. She peered out of the sliding doors in the kitchen, smiling as the setting sun. “It’s almost spring time, Min. The flowers are going to bloom and it’s going to be sunny and warm. It’ll be really nice. We can ask Daddy to put a fence up so you can go outside and take your naps there. You would like that, wouldn’t you? If you use your adorable little eyes, then Daddy won’t even complain because you’re so cute, aren’t you? You’re my little baby,” Somin giggled, swaddling Min in her arms, swaying back and forth as she looked out the window. There were plenty of leftovers in the fridge that she just simply had to heat up rather than cook, but looking at the last few moments of daylight made her slow her impending actions.

 

She wasn’t sure how she missed the noise, but next thing she knew, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her, interlocking and resting upon her arms that were holding Min, a head coming down to lean against her shoulder. “Yoongi?” she said, turning her head as much as possible to stare at his black hair.

 

“Yea,” Yoongi replied, his voice sounding more tired than usual.

 

“Yoongi, are you okay? Let me heat up some food for you,” Somin started, but Yoongi’s hold was too strong for her.

 

“Please. Just for a few moments,” he said, Somin feeling a pain in her chest when she heard how heavy his voice was.

 

“As long as you need,” she said, loosening her hold so Min could jump out of her arms, letting herself to instead hold Yoongi’s arms.

 

“Hey Somin,” Yoongi said, looking up from his plate about 30 minutes later

 

“Yes?” she replied, making eye contact with the older man.

 

“Have you ever thought about going on vacation?”

 

“Vacation?”

 

“Well, we never went anywhere for our honeymoon, and then even around the holidays, we were both working, the only break was the company Christmas party, but even that wasn’t much. I thought you had about two weeks left before you went back to the office and this could be something we could both enjoy without having to worry about work, just relaxing,” Yoongi explained, playing with the few pieces of corn on his plate.

 

“You want to go on our honeymoon? About 5 months after our wedding?” Somin raised an eyebrow.

 

“Never mind, it seemed like a stupid idea in my head, I don’t know why I brought it up,” he shook his head, his cheeks turning pink. “I’m full, I’ll be turning in for the night,” he said, avoiding eye contact as he moved towards the trash can, emptying his plate.

 

“Wait no, Yoongi that’s not - ”

 

“Forget I said anything,” he said, his back to the girl, leaving the girl at the kitchen table alone. Somin sat at the table, confused at the events that transpired a little too fast for her. Feeling full, she too emptied her plate into the trash, washing the few dishes in the sink. She decided to give Yoongi some time to himself, wiping down the counters and the table, refilling Min’s water bowl before turning off the main kitchen light, leaving the light above the kitchen island on instead.

 

“Yoongi?” she spoke softly, knocking on his door and peeking in.

 

“You can come in,” he mumbled, sitting at his desk as he typed away at his laptop.

 

“So,” Somin started slowly, taking a seat on the bed. “I was thinking and - ”

 

“Somin, I said it was fine. Don’t worry about what I said,” Yoongi let out a sigh, turning around to face the girl. “I just had an idea, but it was pretty stupid - ”

 

“I was going to say it’s pretty cliche for a honeymoon, but how does Hawaii sound?” she asked with a slight smile.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“When I said Hawaii, I wasn’t expecting this soon,” Somin yawned as she drank her coffee, taking a peek to see Min sleeping in his pet carrier.

 

“I wanted you to have the longest possible vacation before you had to go back,” Yoongi explained, turning into the familiar parking lot of Hye Min’s apartment complex. “There’s Seokjin Hyung,” he commented, putting the car in park as he got out of the driver’s seat.

 

“Mommy is going to miss you a lot, baby,” Somin pouted, opening the carry on to hold Min in her arms. “You have to promise to listen to Uncle Seokjin and Auntie Hye Min, okay? If I find out that you were a bad boy, then you won’t get any treats when Mommy comes back.” As if Min could understand Korean, he purred, cuddling into her arms.

 

“Time to go,” Yoongi said, opening the backseat door. Somin placed the cat back into the carrier, getting out of the car first, lifting the carrier out after.

 

“There’s an old sweater of Yoongi’s in there. Min can’t fall asleep unless he’s sleeping on top of it. If it ever gets dirty, just spray it with Yoongi’s Tom Ford cologne, but with a gentle hand. I also packed the cologne in case you guys need it,” Somin explained to Seokjin, Yoongi looking inside the carrier at the newfound information he overheard.

 

“That was my favorite sweater,” Yoongi complained, scratching the back of his head.

 

“Does your sweater mean more to you, or the fact that our son can’t sleep without it?” Somin shot him a look. Yoongi took a step back, his hands up in the air, as he returned to the driver’s seat.

 

“Make sure you take good care of him, okay Oppa?” Somin said, extending her hand once towards the cat being held in the carrier in Seokjin’s arms.

 

“Don’t worry about a thing, Hye Min and I can take care of a cat. It’ll be good practice for when the baby is here. We just want you and Yoongi to have fun, okay? You guys deserve a vacation,” Seokjin smiled, patting the top of her head. “Hye Min couldn’t make it down, but she did want me to give you this,” he added, pulling out a little post it from his sweater pocket. “I got a peek at it,” he commented, his cheeks slightly pink.

 

‘Don’t come back a - Hye Min <3’

 

“Oh my god,” Somin muttered, feeling her face warm up. “One day, she’ll get my blood pressure so high that there’ll be no saving me,”

 

“That’s Hye Min for you,” Seokjin chuckled. “I’ll let you guys get going now, okay? Have a safe flight and let us know when you land!” he waved goodbye, watching Somin get into the passenger seat before going inside the apartment building.

 

“Why is your face all pink? Are you okay?” Yoongi asked, his hand coming towards her face. “Your face is kind of warm. We can cancel the trip, there’s no worries about that,” he said, studying her face.

 

“No no, I’m fine,” Somin shook her head. “I’m ready to be in warm Hawaii,” she said, gesturing to him to drive.

 

“If you say so,” Yoongi took one more look at her before finally driving out of the parking lot.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

About two and a half hours later, the couple finally found themselves in their reserved Asiana A380 First Class seats, arriving at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport from Incheon International Airport in about 9 hours.

 

“Isn’t first class a little too much?” Somin asked, watching Yoongi as he removed the barrier between their seats.

 

“My parents wanted us to take their private plane, so this is a major downgrade from that,” Yoongi chuckled. “Why can’t I get this? Excuse me!” he waved down one of the flight stewardesses over. “Hello, I’m so sorry to bother you, but I was trying to remove this barrier between the seats, but I was having a little trouble,”

 

“Yes of course sir, I can help you with that,” she smiled at him, turning her back to him as she faced Somin. Somin wasn’t sure but she could’ve sworn that the woman had given her a dirty look. “Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to stand up,” she said, her tone not as kind as when speaking to Yoongi.

 

“Y-yes, of course,” Somin immediately stood up, standing awkwardly to the side as the woman quickly removed the barrier and put the seats together.

 

“If you need anything else during our flight, be sure to ask for Aeyoung, and I’ll be right at your service,” the woman smiled at Yoongi as he thanked her.

 

“Now we can be much more comfortable,” Yoongi smiled, gesturing for Somin to sit in her seat. “I was looking through their movie selection, and they have Onward! I heard it was really good, and I know it’s a kids movie, but Jungkook - my assistant - has been bugging me to watch it, so I thought we could give it a try,” he paused, glancing at Somin, “unless you want to watch something else, of course,”

 

“No, your movie is fine,” she said, settling back into her seat as they got ready for take off. “Let’s wait until they start serving breakfast,” she suggested, Yoongi agreeing as they buckled their seat belts. Once they had ascended into the air and the pilot had given the okay for breakfast to be served, Somin and Yoongi plugged in their headphones, syncing their in-flight screens so that they were watching at the same pace together. Somin wasn’t blind to Aeyoung, the same flight stewardess who was making heart eyes at Yoongi and having the total opposite reaction to her. ‘Can she not see the ring on his hand or does she not care?’ she thought to herself, stabbing the omelette with a little more force than intended.

 

“You okay?” Yoongi asked, Somin nodding his worries away as she finished eating, turning her attention back to the movie. ‘Why are you being jealous, Somin? It doesn’t matter because at the end of the day, Yoongi is your husband, he’ll never be hers - Oh my gosh, what the hell is wrong with me, I shouldn’t be jealous at all, it doesn’t matter,’ she thought to herself.

 

‘He does make your heart flutter, right? The sooner you come to terms with your blooming feelings, the sooner you can do something about them,’ Jimin’s familiar voice rang through her head.

 

How much longer can you lie to yourself, Somin? You’re falling for Yoongi, and much faster than you expected,’ she thought to herself, studying Yoongi’s side profile.

 

“I’m tired,” Somin muttered about halfway into the movie. The lights in the plane had been dimmed to allow people to sleep, the only light coming from the screens here and there. “If you don’t mind, I’m going to take a short nap, you can keep watching though,”

 

“Here, use my pillow,” Yoongi offered to her.

 

“I have one though, and then you won’t have one,” she said, holding it up.

 

“Yea, but I know you can’t fall asleep unless you’re hugging something. Your only options are my pillow or well…me,” Yoongi replied. Somin’s heart warmed at his explanation and she almost did take his pillow.

 

Emphasis on the word almost.

 

“It wouldn’t be fair for me to take your pillow,” Somin shook her head, moving towards him and settling against his chest, wrapping her arms around his frame that suddenly went stiff. “Are you comfortable?” she asked.

 

“Y-yeah, I’m good,” Yoongi blinked his eyes a few times, not expecting the girl to be so forward with her actions. He loosened his bones, leaning back against the seat with the comfortable weight of Somin on his chest. “Sleep well,” he patted the top of her head, allowing his arm to remain over her shoulders. Somin opened one eye, a slight smirk forming as she saw a frown on the flight attendant’s face. She wasn’t actually that tired, but she wasn’t going to let anyone walk all over her - she was Yoongi’s wife after all, not some stranger he just met an hour ago.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

She wasn’t sure when she did eventually fall asleep but Somin’s sleep was slightly disturbed when she felt something moving underneath her. She lazily opened one eye just to see Yoongi moving reclining both of their seats so they flattened to be a small bed. She allowed herself to close her eyes again, giving into the sleep her body didn’t want to let go off when she heard the voice.

 

“Yes sir?”

 

Somin didn’t have enemies. Aeyoung the flight attendant might be just the person to change it.

 

“Could I get another blanket?” Yoongi asked, his voice a soft whisper to not disturb anyone.

 

“Yes, of course,” she replied, her footsteps indicating she was off to fetch a blanket. Somin internally rolled her eyes at the woman’s eagerness. She wasn’t sure if she was mad at the fact that this woman was making moves on her husband or jealous over the fact that Yoongi didn’t seem to care about this extra attention.

 

Did she not give Yoongi enough attention that he had to depend on another woman?

 

“Thank you,” Yoongi’s voice came a few moments later. “One more thing, Ms. Aeyoung?” He held his left hand up, the silver band on his ring finger shimmering even in the dark. “I am a happily married man, and this woman besides me is my wife. I assumed that if I acted indifferent, you would get the hint, but clearly I thought wrong. My wife has been nothing but polite towards you, but it seems you were too caught up in this little fantasy you had planned out in your head. I know for a fact that you know who both my wife and I, you may want to keep your voice a little down when you’re gossiping with your coworkers, especially near the restroom areas. You know the power that I have and I will not hesitate twice to have your position re-considered if you make my wife uncomfortable one more time,” his voice seemed gentle as ever while he whispered to the young flight attendant, but his hard glare and words made no mistake.

 

This wasn’t the Yoongi who spent his Sunday morning sprawled in bed, becoming putty because of a cat named Min.

 

This was CEO Min Yoongi who didn’t take any excuse when it came to work.

 

“Sir, I am so, so, so sorry - ”

 

“I don’t need your apologies. Please do not disturb my wife and I for the remainder of the flight if you cannot remain professional,”

 

“Yes, sir,” she quickly bowed, her body shaking in slight fear as she walked away.

 

“Finally,” Yoongi rolled his eyes, opening up the blanket and placing it over Somin’s body, carefully tucking it all around her. “I’m so sorry, Somin,” his voice was once again the gentle Yoongi she lived with, pressing his lips against the crown of her head. He pulled her body towards his, placing her head on his chest, wrapping his arms around her tightly. “Sleep night,”

 

Once Somin felt Yoongi’s breathing steady, knowing he was fast asleep, she pressed his lips against his cheeks lightly. “Thank you,” she whispered, unable to hold her smile back as she felt the butterflies in her stomach flapping harder than they ever did in her entire life.

 

Min Yoongi, I think I’m falling in love with you,