Chapter One: The First Month

The Arrangement of Us
 
 

“Young Master, Aghassi, I will be driving you to your new home,” the middle aged man bowed to the two of them. The wedding ceremony was short, a small intimate dinner between the families following rather than a large reception.

 

“Lead the way,” Yoongi nodded, holding his coat over one arm as he offered the other to Somin. She looked down at his arm, then back at his face, before leaving him behind as she followed the driver. She spent too much of her life depending on the men in her life, she wasn’t going to ignore the fact that Yoongi only agreed to the marriage because he would get something out of it. “I was just being nice,” he sighed to himself, following her. Their families had left a little while back, his father handing him two copies of the keys to his new home.

 

Their new home.

 

The drive was silent, the only sound was the soft humming of the car with the occasional traffic sound. Based off the route, Somin could tell that the house was not located in the main part of Seoul, meaning that her commute to work would be longer in the morning and evening. ‘Perfect, more time away from him during the day,’ she thought to herself. Her attention was mainly on her phone, scrolling through the few pictures that Jimin, her assistant, had taken and sent to her.

 

You look beautiful, Noona! - Park Jimin, 11:05 PM

 

I’ll be sure to thank the make up artist and stylist - Woo Somin, 11:05 PM

Be sure to be at the office tomorrow by 11 - Woo Somin, 11:06 PM

 

But it’s the weekend! - Park Jimin, 11:06 PM

 

I have some paperwork to do. I’ll buy lunch - Woo Somin, 11:07 PM

 

>.< I’ll see you tomorrow boss! - Park Jimin, 11:07PM

 

“You know, people may get the wrong message if they see you on the phone with someone else while your husband is right next to you,” Yoongi said, stealing glances at her.

 

“Sir, I just wanted to let you know that this man next to me and I had an arranged marriage, there is no love between us, but I’m sure you already know that,” she spoke up, turning to face Yoongi, holding her phone up so he could see her screen. “I was texting my assistant so he shows up to the office tomorrow. I’m very well aware of what our arrangement is. Even if I was talking to something with any other intentions, I know how to behave in front of the public eye. I’m pretty sure that there are no eyes on us in our car as the driver was hired by one of our fathers, meaning that he is someone to be trusted.” She clicked her phone shut, placing it back on your lap. “I don’t expect anything from you in this relationship, but I did hope that you would have the slightest bit of faith in me. I didn’t realize that you thought this low of me from the get go,”

 

“That’s - that was not my -” Yoongi started.

 

“You don’t have to explain yourself,” she shook her head, turning her attention away from him to look out the window. The rest of the drive continued in silence, but this time it felt stifling to Yoongi.

 

“Young Master, Aghassi,” the driver announced as he pulled onto a small property.

 

“This is - this is the house?” Somin asked, quickly exiting the car to step closer to the house.

 

“This is the address that I was given,” the driver said.

 

“You know this property?” Yoongi asked, walking towards the front of the house to unlock the door

 

“I do,” she said. “This was the first house I ever designed on my own, but at the time, my father had rejected the blueprints. I didn’t realize…”

 

“You designed this?” Yoongi questioned, looking back at the house. “And alone?” She nodded, walking faster and past him to enter the house. He thanked the driver bidding him a goodnight before entering the house, locking the door behind him.

 

“It was supposed to be a getaway for me, a house that I designed for myself,” she answered, taking a look at her creation brought to life. The house was actually two tiny houses connected by a sunroom in the middle, with the kitchen, bathroom, and living room on one side, the master bedroom with an attached en suite on the other. The realization sank in and she quickly walked to the main door on the left, opening it to see her disappointment come true as she felt Yoongi stand behind her.

 

“There‘s only one bedroom?” he questioned.

 

“I designed the house with the intent of it being just for me. I wasn’t expecting to get married,” she retorted. “It’s fine, it’s whatever,” she turned around to face him. “The stairs lead to what is supposed to be a study and a rooftop. Everything so far matches the blueprint from when I designed it, so the upstairs should be no different. I’ll have my assistant arrange for some furniture to be delivered for my use upstairs, so you don’t need to worry,” she explained, already heading for the stairs, Yoongi following her.

 

“You’re going to turn our study into your bedroom?” he asked.

 

“I’ll be turning my study into my bedroom. If you need a study of your own, the master bedroom is all yours and you are free to get whatever furniture you feel you may need for yourself,” she explained. “If you would like, you may wash up first in the guest bathroom while I grab my things from the bedroom,” Somin walked past him, leaving him behind.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Is sharing a room really that bad with me?” Yoongi mumbled to himself walking across the hallway into the bedroom, where Somin was still gathering her things.

 

“I’ll be out of your hair in a few minutes,” she said without looking up.

 

“You’re still in your wedding dress with your hair and makeup. Why don’t you go shower and sleep in here tonight, I’ll sleep upstairs,” he suggested, towel in his hand as he dried his hair.

 

“No need for you to be inconvenienced,” Somin shook her head.

 

“Look Somin,” he sighed, sitting on the bed. “Whether you like it or not, I’m your husband, and you’re my wife. We’re married. While this isn’t what we wanted, we should at least try to be amicable with each other. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life living with a stranger?”

 

“That’s the difference between us. You say this isn’t what either of us wanted, but that’s a lie. I didn’t have a choice for this marriage, but if you really wanted, you could have said no. You get to become the CEO because you went through with this marriage, and all I get is another man to control how to live out my life,” Somin looked up, and for the first time, Yoongi saw emotion in her eyes.

 

“I would never do that to you. I know you don’t trust me, and I understand that, but I want you to know that I am nothing like your father. We are married, meaning we are at an equal platform in this...relationship, I am not above you,”

 

“It’s nice of you to think that way,” she said, zipping up the suitcase with her belonging, “but just knowing what this marriage is giving you makes it difficult to believe you.” The suitcase landed on the floor with a thud, Somin turning for the door and walking out without a look back.

 

“Good night to you too,” Yoongi’s whispers were left unheard to her ears.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Good morning!” Jimin’s voice came in shouts down the hall.

 

“You’re late,” Somin said, her eyes on the screen in front of her.

 

“Like ten minutes, Noona, calm down. I can’t control the traffic,” he pouted, taking a seat on the couch in her office. “How was the first night with the husband?”

 

“I emailed you a list of furniture that I need delivered to my new residence,” she said.

 

“I got the notification when you sent that email at 3:30 AM - did you even sleep - and ordered it right away. I paid for expedited shipping, you should everything by tomorrow evening,”

 

“Perfect, let me know the total and I’ll have the money wired into your account,” she nodded.

 

“No worries,” he stood up. “But did you even sleep? You seem like you’ve been here for awhile,”

 

“I went to sleep soon after I sent you the email, and then I was in the office around 8,” she explained. “I need the financial records from last year, I couldn’t find them,” she glanced back at Jimin.

 

“I’ll go get those. What do you need them for, didn’t you send in the financial report on time?”

 

“I need these for the shareholder meeting that’s being held on Monday. The new CEO is going to be chosen then since the merger has been signed for,”

 

“The new CEO? Do you know who it’s going to be?” Jimin asked with great interest.

 

“Take a wild guess,”

 

“You?” Jimin’s eyes widened.

 

“You think that I would ever be chosen as the next CEO?” she let out a chuckle. “I didn’t know you would joke about something like this, Jimin. It’s going to be Yoongi,”

 

“Oh,” he said quietly. “I’ll go get you the records,” he said, bowing as he left her office. Once she heard the door closed, Somin leaned back in her chair, turning away from the screen so she could see the Seoul skyline out the window. It was close to noon, and she could feel her tummy rumbling. She had left without breakfast as there was no food in the fridge, making a mental note to herself to stop at the grocery store, opening the notes app on her phone to write a list.

 

“Is he allergic to anything?” She muttered to herself quietly. She hesitated for a moment, but then scrolled through her contacts.

 

Y. Min

 

“Hello?” a deep voice grumbled from the other end.

 

“Good morning to you too, or should I say afternoon?” she greeted him.

 

“Who is this?” the voice came again.

 

“I know we’ve been married for less than 24 hours, but your words hurt me,” she spoke, a small smile playing on her lips.

 

“Somin?” Yoongi spoke, his voice slightly distant as he pulled his phone to check his caller ID. “Is there something wrong?”

 

“I was planning to stop at the grocery store when I leave the office. Is there something that you are allergic to or dislike?”

 

“Aw, are you going to buy food for me too?”

 

“We live together, it would be impractical to make separate trips and would end up costing more. We share living expenses now, this is the least I could do,” she explained.

 

“No allergies, and no major dislikes either. I’ll eat anything,” he explained, a yawn escaping his lips.

 

“Any particular likes?”

 

“Meat,” Yoongi nodded, smiling to himself at the thought of a juicy piece of steak.

 

“Alright,” Somin typed it onto her long list. “Have a good day,”

 

“Wait, Somin!” Yoongi called.

 

“Yes?”

 

“What time will you be home?” he asked.

 

“Well, it’s Saturday so I don’t have to be here, but I had to do some paperwork. Should only take me another hour or two to finish, then I’ll go to the grocery store. By 5 at the latest I guess,” she replied.

 

“Alright...see you at home,” he said, Somin hanging up with no answer. "What changed overnight that she's acting all nice to me now?" Yoongi thought out loud, flopping back on the mattress.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“You’re home?” Yoongi asked, walking into the kitchen where Somin was cooking. “You’re cooking?”

 

“I arrived home an hour ago, dinner is almost ready,” she explained.

 

“You didn’t have to make food, I could’ve cooked something,” he said.

 

“It’s fine, I’m used to it,” she shrugged. “Get some plates from there,” she said, pointing behind her. Yoongi opened the cabinet, pulling out two plates, placing them side by side at the counter for her. She took the lid off the pan, placing two medium sized pieces of meat on one plate, the third on the other, placing some steamed vegetables on the plate as well.

 

“Steak?” Yoongi’s eyes widened.

 

“You said you like meat,” she shrugged, taking both plates and placing them on the small dining table.

 

“I didn’t actually expect you to make me steak,” he said, sitting down in front of her. “Thank you,” he said, taking a bite of the food, having to hold back a moan. “This is incredibly well cooked,” he said, looking up at her. She just nodded at his word, but she had a small smile on her lips. “So,” Yoongi cleared his throat. “I know that in the last three months, we barely saw each other, and I’m sorry for that. I was too caught up with my work, which is no excuse, because you have your own work as well. But now that’s over. We’re officially married,”

 

“Yes, I believe you said that in your little speech last night,” Somin said in between bites.

 

“I can’t promise that I will love you the way that a man should love his wife because aside from a few basic facts I got off the Internet, I don’t know anything about you, but I would like to. Even if no romantic feelings arise, we are in this for the rest of our lives, and I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to spend the rest of my life coming back to a quiet house where we don’t even talk to each other. Sure, we may never be romantic partners, but we could be friends, couldn’t we?”

 

“Friends?” Somin asked.

 

“Friends,” Yoongi nodded, placing his fork and knife down. “Wouldn’t you rather come back to a place you can call home rather than just a house?”

 

“I guess,” she shrugged, moving around the few pieces of corn on her plate.

 

“I’ll start,” he said. “My name is Yoongi, but I guess you can call me my love, babe, sweetheart,”

 

“Yoongi,” Somin said, a warning tone in her voice.

 

“I’m joking!” he chuckled. “Unless you want to, I won’t stop you. Anyways, I am 26 years old, I have an older brother as you know. My hobbies include sleeping, playing basketball, but that’s in the minimum free time that I have. Hm let’s see. Oh, I’m originally from Daegu, we moved to Seoul when I was in high school,”

 

“Daegu?” Somin’s interest piqued.

 

“Ever been there?” Yoongi asked.

 

“My mother was from Daegu. I was born there, but I was only a few months old when I came to Seoul,”

 

“Your mother?” his eyebrows furrowed. “I thought your father and mother were from Busan, isn’t that where they met and had your sister?”

 

“Oh, I thought they told you,” Somin looked up at him. “I’m Woo Sangmin’s illegitimate daughter,”

 

“Excuse me?” Yoongi choked on the piece of meat that he was chewing, Somin quickly getting up to get him a glass of water.

 

“I thought you knew since we were getting married. It wasn’t my intention to cause this,” she said, lightly patting his back as he rubbed his chest.

 

“No no, it wasn’t your fault. I wasn’t aware at all,” he shook his head.

 

“I’m sorry,” she eyed him from across the table where she took her seat.

 

“Do you...want to talk more about it?”

 

“I guess you have a right to know since you’re my husband,” she shrugged.

 

“You don’t have to tell me anything you don’t want to,” Yoongi quickly explained, Somin looking up to study his face.

 

“Oddly enough, I feel comfortable telling you,” she lightly smiled. “There isn’t much to it, it’s not a particularly sad story. My father was in Daegu one night for a work trip where he met my mother. It was when he was having a rough patch with my stepmother when he met my mother. From what I know, it was a one time thing and then my mother had me, and a few months later, she left me in Seoul with my father. I don’t know much about her. I had hired a private investigator a few years ago to try to find where she was, she had gotten married and had two more daughters,” she explained.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said softly, his eyes on his empty plate.

 

“For what?” she asked, taking their plates to the sink where she rolled up her sleeves. “You didn’t do anything to me other than this marriage,”

 

“I meant it when I said I wouldn’t hurt you,” he said, getting up to stand next to her, pushing her with the slightest force. “You made us dinner, it’s only right that I clean up,”

 

“But - ”

 

“Equal partners,” Yoongi repeated his words from last night, flashing a smile at her before he took over the dishes.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“I hate this ,” Yoongi sighed, throwing his pen against the papers on his desk.

 

“Knock, knock,” he heard, looking up to see his brother.

 

“It’s not too late to be the CEO,” Yoongi said, rubbing his eyes.

 

“You’ve been CEO for one month and you’re already sick of it?” Junki laughed, sitting across his desk.

 

“It’s so much work, Hyung,” he whined, slouching down in his seat.

 

“Good thing you have a wonderful wife to return home too, some of us have to return to empty apartments,” his older brother looked at him.

 

“You know that Somin and I don’t have a relationship like that, Hyung, we’re just casual housemates,” Yoongi explained. “Also, you are single by choice. There is no one stopping you from going out and getting a girlfriend,”

 

“A handsome face like this can’t rush into a relationship, Yoongi. I am waiting for the right person that likes me for more than just my face and money,” Junkin replied. “Anyways, aren’t you heading home? It’s almost 6:30 PM,”

 

“I was just finishing this blueprint plan. The Lee family from Gangnam are redoing their summer home yet again,” Yoongi rolled his eyes.

 

“Send me the file and go home,” Junki said. “I’ll finish it up for you, I don’t have any major projects currently,”

 

“You’re the best, Hyung,” Yoongi smiled, instantly shutting his laptop, shoving it into his bag and sprinting out of the office. “I’ll see you on Monday!”

 

“Casual housemates, ,” Junki chuckled, “that kid totally has a crush on her,”

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Somin!” Yoongi called out as he entered the house. The main entrance of the house had the light on, as well as the kitchen light. He took off his jacket, embracing the heat running in the house as the November air was relenting and left his usual dress shoes for his house slippers. He loosened the tie around his neck, walking into the kitchen. He saw vegetables half cut on the chopping board with the knife lying next to it, but Somin nowhere to be found. “Somin?” Yoongi called again.

 

“In the back!” he faintly heard her voice and he left the kitchen for the back sliding door, surprised at how he missed the open door when he came in. “Look who I found!” she said, looking up at Yoongi.

 

“What is that?” he questioned, crossing his arms over his chest as he tried to warm himself.

 

“A stray kitten,” Somin pouted, turning her attention to the animal who was currently drinking milk out of a small bowl in the girl’s hands. “I heard this poor thing while I was cooking, and it’s so cold outside, Yoongi please - ”

 

“No,” Yoongi said, his eyes widening at the realization of what Somin was going to ask.

 

“But Yoongi!”

 

“Somin, we can’t just bring a stray kitten into our home,” Yoongi shook his head. Somin refused to look back at him as she was crouching on the ground, her bare feet covered in soil and there was no jacket protecting her from the cold November wind. He couldn’t see her face clearly, but he could see how quiet she had become, her eyes slightly watering. ‘When did you get so soft?’ he asked himself, going back inside to the front entrance to get his sneakers, walking back to the back door where he dropped them to the ground, taking off his slippers to shove his feet into his sneakers, letting them crease up. He opened the door a little more, walking out towards the girl and standing next to her. “Get up,” he said.

 

“What?” Somin looked up, the small kitten in her hands.

 

“Your feet are all dirty, I’m not gonna let you bring dirt into the house,” he explained. “Hurry, the three of us can’t stay here out here for long,”

 

“Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!” Somin’s face brightened, holding the kitten close to her chest with one hand, throwing the other one around Yoongi’s waist as she quickly hugged him.

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” he rolled his eyes, placing one arm under her legs, the other under her arm as he lifted her bridal style, exchanging his sneakers for his slippers at the sliding door, letting her close it before he took her to the bathroom, placing her on the ledge of the bathtub, getting a tissue as he gently wiped her the dirt of her feet. Somin sat watching him, the small mitten kitten pawing at the loose threads of her sleeve, Yoongi concentrating hard at his task.

 

“Thank you,” she softly said, looking into his eyes.

 

“I’ll finish up dinner, why don’t you get the kitten cleaned up?” he offered, throwing the tissues out, closing the bathroom door behind him as he walked into the kitchen, washing his hands before resuming the fish and vegetables that Somin was cooking. He finished cooking 30 minutes, placing the food, as well as a bowl of some cut up fish for the kitten on the table, but Somin hadn’t returned yet. He strolled back to the bathroom, about to knock on the door when he heard her talking.

 

“..and I know he seems really grouchy, but we’ve been living together for almost a month now. Once you give him some time, he’s not that bad,” she softly said, Yoongi smiling at her words. “Min, come on, don’t splash Mommy with water,” she complained, Yoongi hearing some water falling to the floor, causing him to chuckle lightly. “Anyways, maybe if you show your cute little eyes to your Appa, then he’ll come around to the idea of having you around faster, because you are just too cute!” she cooed, cradling the kitten in the small hand towel as she opened the door. “Yes, you are! Yes, you are! Yes, you - OH MY!” she let out a tiny scream at seeing Yoongi at the door. “How long were you there? Knock much?” she asked, feeling her heart beat faster at the sudden shock.

 

“Long enough to say that I am not about to become a father to a kitten,” he said, looking down at the small animal. “And that we are not naming him Min,”

 

“But he looks like you! Some people would be honoured to have their kids named after them,” Somin held the kitten up next to his face. “Also, it could be Min as in Somin, not everything is about you, you know,” she stuck her tongue out at him, as she left him and walked past him.

 

“Somin, let’s talk about this,” Yoongi said, walking beside her.

 

“After dinner,” she said, not looking back once as she settled at the table, setting Min on top of the table so he could eat out of the bowl. “Appa may not like you, but look who made you a bowl of fish, Min?” she cooed at the kitten once again before munching on her own food.

 

“What did you get yourself into, Min Yoongi?” he sighed to himself as he trotted back to the kitchen.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“We finished eating and cleaned the kitchen, can we talk about it now?” Yoongi asked as the two made their way into the living room.

 

Over the past month of their marriage, the two had made it a ritual to watch an episode of any show that they started together after dinner and washing up as a way to get closer and relax before bed. While it wasn’t too intimate, Somin had to admit it was a good way for the two to quickly get comfortable around each other.

 

“I had a really long day at work together, and I would really just prefer to relax, Yoongi,” Somin said, settling on the couch. “Come on, let’s watch the next episode of Crash Landing On You before we go to sleep. Jimin is getting annoyed that I haven’t finished it yet, and he’s about to start texting me spoilers,” she said, patting the seat next to her. He scowled, but sat down next to her nonetheless on the small two seater couch, putting his feet up as Somin stretched her legs out on the couch, her feet leaning against his thighs. As the intro was playing, he couldn’t help but admit how relaxing it was to finally lay back on the couch, his feet up watching good television knowing that he didn’t have to go to work tomorrow. Somin was relaxed to, the small kitten lying on her chest moments away from sleep as she gently ran her fingers up and down his fur.

 

Ding-dong! Ding-dong! Ding-dong!

 

“Who is that so late?” Yoongi mumbled, moments away from falling asleep.

 

“It can’t be our parents, they would’ve called if they were coming this late,” Somin replied, sitting up. “You stay, I’ll go check,” she said, standing up and gently placing the kitten on Yoongi. “Be good with Appa, Mommy will be right back,” she said in a soft voice, quickly walking towards the front door.

 

“I’m not your Appa,” Yoongi mumbled, but he couldn’t hold back the smallest of smiles as the kitten yawned before closing his eyes, falling asleep. “She shouldn’t be opening the door alone this late at night,” he mumbled to himself, following her out the living room with the kitten against his chest. “Do you know who it could be?”

 

“I have no clue,” she asked, unlocking the front door as she opened it.

 

“Hey there,” an older woman unknown to Yoongi smiled, waving at the couple, a tall man standing behind her.

 

“What are you two doing here this late?” Somin questioned, opening the door wider so they can come in. “It’s so cold outside, get inside. How’d you even find out where I live?”

 

“I have my ways of figuring it out,” the woman shrugged.

 

“Somin, who are these people?” Yoongi asked softly as he stood behind his wife.

 

“Hye Min, what are you doing here?” Somin asked once again.

 

“Hye Min?” Yoongi repeated the name, trying to come up with the reason as to why the name was so familiar.

 

“Are you really going to ignore his question, Somin?” the older woman frowned.

 

“Yoongi, this is Hye Min, my older sister,” Somin explained, and after a few moments of silence, “and her boyfriend, Seokjin,”

 

“Actually, he’s not just the boyfriend anymore,” Hye Min winced, ing her coat to take it off.

 

“What?” Somin asked, confused.

 

“We officially got married two months ago!” Hye Min exclaimed, holding up her left hand to show up the silver band around her ring finger.

 

“You guys got married?” Somin balked.

 

“That’s not all,” Seokjin chuckled, taking his own coat off as well.

 

“Holy , are you pregnant?” Somin took a few steps backward, feeling Yoongi’s arm hold her steady around the shoulders as her eyes widened.

 

“Congratulations! You’re going to be an aunt!” Hye Min smiled, holding two thumbs up.