Chapter Four: The Fourth Month

The Arrangement of Us
 
 

Yoongi didn’t want to wake up, but he couldn’t just ignore his bladder. Somin was pressed against his side, snuggling his arm as she laid on her side, facing him. He gently slid his arm out from her hold, slipping out from under the covers to exit the bedroom. He closed the door behind him, walking down the hallway into the main entry. After washing his hands, he decided to go into the kitchen, wanting to get a water bottle in case Somin woke up thirsty.

 

“Surprise seeing you here,” a feminine voice spoke up from the couch, Yoongi hitting his elbow against the wall as he jumped back. “Sorry for scaring you,” Hye Min chuckled, patting the cushion next to her.

 

“What are you doing ? Don't you have to get up early in the morning?” Yoongi asked, rubbing his elbow as he sat on the other side of the couch.

 

“I do, but these days, I don’t decide my sleep schedule,” Hye Min replied, rubbing her baby bump as she took a sip from her cup. “So,” she raised her eyebrow, Yoongi giving a look of confusion. “What do you think of Somin?”

 

“Uh,” he blinked his eyes a few times, repeating the sudden question in his head. “I mean, she’s nice?”

 

“Well, of course she’s nice, my parents made her a pushover,” she rolled her eyes.

 

“I am not like your parents,” Yoongi immediately replied. “I mean, yes, I did agree to the marriage to become the CEO, but Somin knows that. And that was before,”

 

“Before what?”

 

“Before I got to know her,” Yoongi explained. “Somin is so much more than what everyone sees. She’s kind to the point where people think she’s a pushover, but she knows when to stand up for others. I wish she stood up for herself more, but someone can’t just change overnight. She’s a talented architecture designer, truly exceptional, but she doesn’t get the recognition she deserves. I don’t mean to disrespect your father, but Somin is capable of so much more. Heck, I feel she would be a better CEO that I am,”

 

“You know, I really underestimated you,” Hye Min smiled, standing up with her empty mug. “You’re a lot better than I originally thought you were. Maybe you’re somewhat good enough for my sister,” she said, placing the mug in the sink before turning off the light. “Good night, Yoongi.”

 

Yoongi was left slightly confused, but he couldn’t deny the warm feeling he felt in his chest at the older woman’s words, smiling like a fool as he made his way back to the guest bedroom. He winced when he heard the mattress squeak at his weight, staying still when he saw Somin turn around, opening her eyes the slightest bit. “Where were you?” she mumbled.

 

“I had to use the bathroom,” he whispered back, getting under the blanket, wanting to move closer to her warmer body.

 

“You took too long,” she commented, allowing her eyes to close. Almost as if she could read his mind, she scooched closer to him, placing her head in the space between his shoulder and neck, her arm wrapping around his upper body as she tangled her legs between his. “It was cold without you,” she mumbled, unaware of how her lips against his neck were causing goosebumps to arise on his skin.

 

“Sorry,” Yoongi whispered, turning onto his side the slightest bit so he could wrap his arms around her frame.

 

“Night night, Yoonie,” Somin mumbled one last night, giving into sleep.

 

“Night night,” he chuckled, pressing a light kiss against her forehead as he too allowed sleep to overtake his body.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Can I have my phone back now?” Somin pouted, swallowing the last of her chicken noodle soup.

 

“Nope, the doctor said no screens as the light can irritate your eyes and worsen your migraine. Oh, that reminds me,” Yoongi said, taking his phone out of his pocket as he tapped at a few things on his screen. “Okay, Seokjin Hyung and your sister should be home in a little bit from her doctor’s appointment, and then the two of us are going to go down to the station, and your sister will stay here with you,”

 

“I don’t need a babysitter,” the girl complained, making a face as she bent down to pick up the kitten whining at her.

 

“No, but apparently your sister does,” Yoongi commented. “‘Tell Somin to make sure that Hye Min doesn’t go crazy with decorating the nursery’. His words,” he read off his phone before placing it back on the table.

 

“Oh, we’re decorating the nursery?” her face instantly brightened.

 

“Guess so,” he shrugged, taking her empty bowl to the sink. “How does your head feel?”

 

“Like someone is hitting it with a hammer every now and then,” she frowned, moving from the small eating area to the couch in the living room area, slouching against the couch, allowing her eyes to close, as her fingers ran through Min’s fur.

 

“And your phone would only make it worse,”

 

“I need to talk to Jimin. I still have a job to focus on you know,”

 

“You don’t have to kill your head to talk to him. I can arrange for him to come here to make it easier for you,”

 

“No, that kid already does too much. Coming here would only inconvenience him and Hye Min as well,” Somin shook her head. “Just give me my phone so I can call him and work something out, please.” Yoongi sighed, but walked closer, handing her the phone, watching her instantly snatch it from his hands, her fingers flying across the screen before she finally dialed a number, resting her head on the couch behind her. “Jimin, yes, I am so sorry about not responding to any of the messages that you have sent me over the last couple of hours. Everything has been crazy to say the least. Anyways, I am currently not home, and I won’t be able to be there for the next few days, which means everything in my home office, I don’t have access to, including the file you gave me yesterday regarding the new project that my father wants me to head. Is it possible - oh? No, he hadn’t told me about that,” Somin said, side eyeing Yoongi who was preoccupied with the kitten in his lap. “I’ll talk to him about that. Has Father said anything about it?...No? That is quite surprising, but no worries about that. I’ll see you in the office on Monday...oh, did he now?...Alright, well do not let anyone in the office find out until I talk to him, and let everyone work as usual. If anyone questions it, just ignore them until I figure something out. Until then,” she bid him goodbye. “Yoongi,”

 

“Somin,” he glanced at her.

 

“Can you please tell me why my assistant just informed me that not only am I no longer heading the project that my father had asked me to head. Oh, and also, that I am taking a one month vacation?”

 

“That’s a decision that I made for your wellbeing,” he explained.

 

“You’re just my husband, what gives you the right to make such an important decision for me?”

 

“We’re home!” Hye Min’s voice came from the entryway, apartment door opening.

 

“I’m not only your husband, I am also the CEO of the company that you work for, therefore making me your boss. You can get angry at me if you would like, but I made a decision for my employee that I thought was best. And as the CEO, I have the final say in this matter. Anything you want to debate and argue about will have to be later,”

 

“But Yoongi,” Somin started.

 

“Later,” he cut her off, standing up from the couch, leaving her alone in the apartment with Hye Min.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Hey,” Hye Min entered the guest bedroom, taking a seat next to Somin who was laying on the bed face down.

 

“You love me, right?” Somin asks, turning her head to look at her sister.

 

“I am currently in no state to help you hide a body. And since Yoongi is your husband, you’re the first person that they would suspect. Also, I was told that you would help me decorate the nursery,” Hye Min pointed out, pulling at her arm. “Come on,”

 

“Ugh,” the younger girl complained, but she rolled off the bed nonetheless, following her sister into the other bedroom on the other side of the apartment. “I don’t mean to offend you, but you and Seokjin are both elementary school teachers. How on Earth were you guys able to afford this place? It’s huge for an apartment,”

“I had my trust fund. Even if I left the family, that’s money that no one could take away from me. I didn’t really want to use their money, but our baby needs a house - a home. Seokjin and I spoke and we decided that the rest of the money in my trust fund will be used for the baby’s education and as a last minute resort. I didn’t really want to but just with Jin and my income…”

 

“You could’ve asked me for help,” Somin said softly, taking in the pale yellow walls and the white crib that sat in the corner of the room.

 

“I didn’t want to bother you,”

 

“You’re never a bother to me. You’re my sister,” she frowned, taking a few steps towards the older woman to wrap her arms around her. “You never have to hesitate when it comes to asking me for help,”

 

“I know that, but you also know me. I don’t like asking for help,” Hye Min slightly smiled, patting the younger girl’s back. “Now don’t go getting all sentimental on me! I cry easily and we have work to do,” Hye Min blinked back a few tears that were beginning to form in her eyes.

 

“How much more could you possibly do here?” Somin questioned, sitting criss cross on the beige rug in the middle of the room, leaning against the crib as her eyes studied the little toys that decorated the room.

 

“The walls are kinda empty, I want to put some decorations up,” Hye Min explained, opening the closet to pull out a tote bag. “Seokjin got these photographs printed out and helped me frame them, but we haven't found the chance to get them up,” she said, taking a seat in the rocking chair, pulling the frames out one by one.

 

Somin held each frame in her hand gently, taking in the pictures that explained everything that happened in the 5 month gap she hadn’t heard from her sister.

 

A picture of Seokjin and Hye Min in front of the courthouse, smiling as they held their marriage certificate with one hand, their other hand lying on Hye Min’s on existent baby bump.

 

A picture of Seokjin’s face with yellow splatters of paint, Hye Min kissing his cheek as she took the selfie.

 

A picture of Hye Min sleeping in the rocking chair, her hands on the slightest baby bump.

 

A picture of the sonogram of their baby girl.

 

“You’re having a girl?” Somin looked up, her lips starting to form one of the biggest smiles over.

 

“Mhm,” Hye Min mirrored her smile. “Kim Seoyeon. She was unexpected but a blessing nonetheless,”

 

“That’s a beautiful name,” Somin smiled, wiping away the one tear that managed to escape her eye.

 

“I’m glad her godmother thinks so,” Hye Min chuckled, taking out the rest of the pictures.

 

“Godmother?” Somin asked. “Me?”

 

“I don’t see anyone else here that I could be referring to,” Hye Min looked up at her sister. “You’re my best friend, and you’ve always been supportive of Seokjin and I. We may not know Yoongi that well yet, but we see the way he cares for you, and everything he does for you. We couldn’t think of anyone else that we would want as our first child’s godparents,”

 

“Thank you, Hye Min…” Somin spoke softly. “That really…it really means so much, I…” Somin stood up from where she was sitting, taking a few short steps to embrace her older sister. “Now look who’s making the mood all sentimental,” she chuckled.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

The two sisters spent the next hour hanging pictures up before they decided that the nursery was finally complete. They made their way to the kitchen where Hye Min was sitting at the table, munching on carrots while Somin was cooking.

 

“Let me tell you, I was so excited to be pregnant. Now that I’m seven months pregnant, I just want this kid out of me,” Hye Min pouted. “I can’t see my toes, my legs always hurt, I can’t wear cute clothes. My s are huge, although that’s not really a bad thing, but they’re very tender, the minute Seokjin - ”

 

“Okay, I’m going to cut you off right there,” Somin turned around, her face pink.

 

“What, we’re sisters. Who else are you going to talk to about this, Jimin?” Hye Min snorted.

 

“I don’t really want to know about your life with Seokin. We may be close but that is not what I want to talk about,”

 

“Pft what life?” the older scoffed. “Jin is too scared to hurt the baby with his ,”

 

“Oh my gosh, Hye Min please stop,” Somin complained as she continued chopping onions.

 

“Why are you acting like a shy little Mary?” Hye Min took another bite of the carrot. “Wait, have you and Yoongi not had yet?”

 

“No!” Somin turned around in shock. “Why would we - no!”

 

“He has a face like that! What is stopping you?”

 

“I don’t know him that well! I can’t just go sleep with anyone willy nilly!”

 

“Willy nilly, oh my gosh, Minnie,” Hye Min sighed. “Your husband has a face sculpted by Jesus Christ himself, jump his bones! He looks like a good one, too. And that’s coming from me. I’m married to Seokjin, and holy moly, that man has such - ”

 

“Oh my Lord, please stop that sentence before I actually stab myself,” Somin said, her face almost as bright as the tomato on the counter.

 

“Uh, we heard some yelling,” Seokjin said, stepping into the kitchen area, Yoongi right behind him. “You girls okay?”

 

“Your wife is insane. A psychopath. She needs actual help,” Somin dropped the knife on the counter. “Or I need help to recover from the mental damage I just got from her,”

 

“She’s fine,” Hye Min waved her hand in the air. “Just being a bit of a prude. Nothing but a pair of sisters having a casual conversation about - ”

 

“AAH!” Somin rushed over to cover her sister’s mouth. “Oh my gosh, for the love of anything holy, please stop,”

 

“Honey, you look like you might actually collapse,” Seokjin took a step close as he bent down to study Somin’s face. “Do you wanna get checked out by the doctor?”

 

“No, no, I’m fine,”

 

“Your face is insanely red,” Yoongi said, standing beside her as he felt her forehead.

 

“I’m fine! Great!” Somin took a step back, flinching slightly when she felt Yoongi’s cold hand on her. “I just need to get some rest. Dinner will be a little late, sorry - ”

 

“No worries, you go to the room and rest up. Hye Min and I will go out and get some food, we’re all tired, no need to cook tonight. Yoongi, you go get some rest too, that was a tiring experience at the station,” Seokjin said, lightly pushing the two of them out of the kitchen.

 

“Remember what I said, Somin. A good time,” Hye Min winked, giggling as Somin’s face turned another shade pinker.

 

“Stop teasing her,” Seokjin said, helping Hye Min with her coat,the older couple’s voices getting softer and softer as Somin and Yoongi walked away from the kitchen and towards the guest bedroom. Min peered at them from the living room rug where he had been playing with the curtains, following the two when he saw them getting away. He mewled, begging for someone to place him on the bed. Yoongi picked him up, gently placing him on the comforter where he immediately snuggled against Somin, who was laying face down first.

 

“Tsk, you always pick your mother over me,” Yoongi pouted, loosening his tie and throwing it on top of the small carry on bag they had brought with them. “I went to the station, they’ll wrap up everything tomorrow during the day and get someone to clean everything up. We can go back tomorrow in the evening,” he said to Somin. The girl didn’t answer, her arm slightly moving so she could pet Min. “Are you still mad at me?” Yoongi asked, taking a seat on the empty side of the bed. Once again, she didn’t reply, but turned her head away from the man. Yoongi sighed, knowing that she was going to be upset at him for a while. “I’m going to go shower. Dinner should be ready soon so make sure you eat,” he said. “Oh, I also bought these for you. They’re blue light glasses. Wear them while you use your phone, they should help your eyes feel less of a strain, not just for your concussion, but in general as well,” he explained, leaving the glasses on the bed next to her along with her phone. He grabbed a change of clothes and exited the bedroom.

 

As soon as she heard the door close, Somin turned around, grabbing her phone. She looked through her notifications. There weren’t many, just some texts from Jimin, mostly memes to make her laugh. She had some general emails, nothing important, and then one missed call.

 

Father.

 

She let out a deep sigh. It was inevitable that her father would hear about her month long break - he was still an important figure to the company even after he was no longer the CEO, and ignoring his missed call wouldn’t be something Somin could do. She clicked on the notification, letting the dial tone ring. ‘Only let it ring three times, and if he doesn’t pick up, just hang up,’ she thought to herself.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Thr -.

 

“Somin,” the deep voice said.

 

“I saw your missed call, Father. My apologies,

 

“Nevermind that. I was notified that you aren’t heading the project that was given to you, but rather Yoongi is. When I looked further into it, I was informed that not only are you making your husband, who is the CEO of the company, do your work for you, you are taking a one month long vacation?”

 

“I have been working for the company since the day I graduated university. Seven years. Never once in seven years have I taken a day off. I think one month is justified,”

 

“What are we supposed to tell our clients why one of the company’s head architectures is not available? Because she wanted to take a one month long vacation? Have you no shame? Is this how you were raised?”

 

“You can tell them the truth,” Somin said, closing her eyes in frustration as she felt the pain in her head increasing. “You can tell them I am taking a one month long vacation because it was ordered by my husband, who also happens to be the CEO of the company. He is forcing me to take a one month long vacation to recover as last minute, two men broke into their house and she was assaulted and now has a concussion. This one month vacation was not my idea nor my choice, and it is not a vacation either - it is a recovery period. However, by telling the company that I am taking a vacation and not a medical leave, the company will only be paying me for half the time that I am gone. A medical leave would mean that the company would be paying me for the entire time that I am gone. So not only is my husband looking out for me, he is also looking out for the company. Of course, you wouldn’t understand since you’ve never cared about anything other than your company,”

 

“Somin - ”

 

“Please do not contact me while I am on vacation. You have my office number. You will be connected to my assistant and you can leave a message with him. I will get back to him whenever I get the chance. Goodbye Father,” Somin hung up, feeling the anger travel through her body until she felt the urge to hit something. She quickly got off the bed, knowing that she had to walk it off before she did something that she regretted. She paced back and forth in the room, and yet it wasn’t working.

 

I am good enough no matter what they say. I am good enough no matter what they say. I am good enough no matter what they say. I am good enough no matter what they say. I am good enough no matter what they say. I am good enough what they say,’ she thought to herself, the mantra repeating itself.

 

...aren’t I?’ the small voice spoke up. Somin let out a sound of frustration, the urge to scream, hurt something, or both taking over her. She lifted her hand, ready to punch the air, knowing it couldn’t hurt anyone.

 

“I am good enough. I am good enough. I am good enough. I am good enough,” she repeated to herself over and over, her voice getting slightly louder as her hand moved, punching the air over and over again. She was so caught up in her actions she didn’t even notice the door opening, Yoongi stepping inside and closer to the girl.

 

“Somin, are you okay?”

 

“I AM GOOD ENOUGH!” she shouted, her hand making contact with his chest. “I am good enough. I am good enough. I am good enough.” With each chant of the mantra, her hand hit his chest again. Yoongi’s eyes widen in a mixture of confusion and panic.

 

“Somin, what’s wrong?” he asked, gently capturing her wrists with his hands to stop her from hitting him.

 

“I am good enough. I am good enough. I am good enough,” she continued, her mind stuck in the chant.

 

“Somin, look at me,” Yoongi said, his hands letting go of her hands to hold her face as if she were a glass doll. “Look at me,” he said once more, the girl’s eyes focusing on Yoongi.

 

“I am good enough,” she said one more time, her voice breaking as the tears in her eyes broke loose, leaving hot trails on her face as they fell.

 

“You are more than enough, no matter what anyone says,” Yoongi said, wrapping his arms around her in the tightest embrace, tucking her head under his chin. “You are more than enough,” he rocked her gently in his arms, his left hand patting her back in a rhythm. “You are more than enough.” He walked her to the bed, gently pushing her down to sit on the bed. “I’m going to get you some water, okay?” he said, but didn’t wait for a reply before he quickly walked down the hall to get her a cup of cold water. He was thankful that Hye Min and Seokjin weren’t here at this moment, not knowing how they would react, pausing for just the slightest moment in his steps.

 

What if this wasn’t the first time Somin felt like this?

 

He quickly shook his head; now wasn’t the time to think about this. He made his way back down to the room, holding the cup to Somin’s lips, her lips parting to allow the cool liquid to enter. When the cup was empty, Yoongi placed it on the bedside table, taking a seat besides the girl.

 

“How are we feeling?” he asked. No reply. “Do…do you want more water?” A shake of her head. “Are you hungry?” Another no. “How can I help you?” Yoongi asked, his voice gentle as if he were speaking to a newborn.

 

“Can you hold me?” Somin asked, her tearful eyes meeting Yoongi’s soft ones. He froze for a moment, then nodding his head.

 

“Come back here,” he said, moving so that he was sitting up, his back leaning on the headboard behind him. Somin slowly made her way towards him, sitting closer than usual to him. “Like this,” Yoongi explained, moving the girl so that she was sitting between his legs, her back pressed against his chest. He pushed her head back with little power so that she was leaning on him, one of his arms wrapping around her waist to hold her close, the other resting on her thigh, patting the same rhythm from before. Somin turned just the slightest bit, snuggling her head closer into the sweater he was wearing, both of her arms wrapping around one of his.

 

“Thank you Yoongi,” she softly said, letting her eyes close.

 

Yoongi shifted himself to turn the lamp off, allowing the room to be engulfed in darkness. “I’m always going to be here for you Somin. Always. Not just because I’m your husband and I feel responsible. I truly do care for you and never want any harm to come upon you. Ever,” he explained, his voice barely over a whisper as he tightened his hold on the girl. The two remained in a comfortable silence, letting the darkness of the room and warmth of their closeness overtake them as they fell asleep in each other’s hold.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

I am so sorry for the short hiatus! I really didn't mean to take sucha long break, but I was going through a writer's block and didn't want to write something that I didn't like or something that was half-assed - that wouldn't be fair to any of my readers. I was going through so many personal things that I had to deal with, but I promise that the next update won't take as long. Thank you to everyone that is reading and enjoying The Arrangment of Us, all my subsribers, anyone not subscribed, everyone who comments and my silent readers. I am thankful to every single one of you as you are the reason I keep writing - even if it's just one person that enjoys my writing. Thank you everypone and look forward to the next update!