Chapter Three: The Third Month

The Arrangement of Us
 
 

Somin knew it was quite early when she woke up - she usually kept her curtains closed to prevent the sunlight from disturbing her sleep. Her eyes scrunched together turning around when she felt something nudge her hit. She opened her eyes, blinking a few times to see Yoongi’s arms crossed on the small space her body left on the house, his head lying on top. She could see Min on the small space as well, curled up and leaning against Yoongi’s shoulder for warmth. She smiled softly, seeing the older man sleeping so peacefully, and was unable to help herself from lifting her hand to run her finger through his soft dark locks. “How are you so handsome?” she said, studying his appearance. His naturally downward turned lips seems to be in a straight line as he slept but she could’ve sworn that the ends of his lips were turned up slightly, as if he were smiling.

 

“You would have to thank my parents for my good looks,” he spoke up, his voice thick with sleep, making it seem even deeper than usual, adjusting his head so he could make eye contact with the girl. “Why? Did my looks make your heart flutter?”

 

“N-no,” she shook her head, wanting her body to shrink at being caught.

 

“Your cheeks are turning pink, wifey, are you sure?” he smiled, closing his eyes again. “It’s still early, go back to sleep,” he said.

 

“You don’t make my heart flutter,” she mumbled, closing her eyes to allow herself to sleep.

 

“Don’t worry, I think you’re really cute too, Somin,” he chuckled, taking a peek at the girl’s cheeks turning even more pink.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Flirting?” Jimin questioned. “You’re worried because your husband is flirting with you?”

 

“Yes, Jimin,” Somin nodded, her head heavy with her thoughts. “What is his endgame here?”

 

“Endgame?” Jimin chuckled. “He’s your husband, you guys have been living together for just about three months now. Maybe he likes you,”

 

“Well, I would hope he likes me,” she rolled her eyes.

 

“Not platonically, you idiot. I meant like he romantically likes you, a crush,” Jimin crumbled a piece of paper to throw at the girl.

 

“I’m your boss, I could fire you for that right now,”

 

“But you won’t because I’m one of the best assistants that you’ve ever seen,” Jimin gave her a wide smile.

 

“No comment. But that's not the reason,” she replied.

 

“Why?” Jimin questioned. “What’s wrong with the idea of him possibly falling in love with you?”

 

“It’s just…no,” she shook her head.

 

“Give yourself more credit, Noona,” Jimin said. “You’re a kind, intelligent, selfless, and beautiful woman. It’s only natural that eventually, he would start to grow romantic emotions for you,” he explained, pulling out his phone when he felt it vibrate with a notification. “If you don’t believe me, your husband’s assistant just messaged me. Hubby-kins wants to set up a lunch appointment with you,”

 

“Don’t call him that,” Somin cringed, eyeing the time. “Let him know that I’m free at noon for two hours,”

 

“I already cleared you for the rest of the day, Boss,” Jimin winked.

 

“You just wanted to get off work early, you bum,” Somin shook her head. “Get out of here, you doofus,” she chuckled.

 

“Love you, Noona,” Jimin threw her a finger heart, making his way out of her office.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“Her assistant messaged back, she’s free for the day after noon, sir,” Jungkook spoke.

 

“Good,” Yoongi nodded, typing away at his computer. “Clear the rest of my schedule as well, I’ll be taking my leave starting lunch. Let my brother know he’s in charge,”

 

“Yes sir,” Jungkook nodded, bowing before exiting the office. Once the younger was gone, Yoongi pulled out his phone, dialing a number from his recent calls.

 

“12:30 okay?...No, she doesn’t know, but I’m sure she’ll be fine….Don’t worry, I’ll talk to her if anything….Alright, I’ll see you then, Seokjin,” he let out a sigh after hanging up.

 

I hope you won’t be too upset with me, Somin,

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“I’m so sorry I’m late!” Somin said, catching her breathe as she sped-walk to the table. “I was working on a project, and lost track of time,” she explained.

 

“It’s fine, no worries,” Yoongi smiled. “Here, take a seat,” he said, pulling out the chair next to his own.

 

“Are we expecting someone?” she asked, gesturing to the two seats in front of their own.

 

“Ah, yes, about that,” Yoongi chuckled, suddenly nervous. “Please don’t get mad, or upset, but…”

 

“Hi there,” a familiar feminine voice spoke behind the couple, Somin turning around to see her sister and brother-in-law.

 

“Hye Min? Seokjin?” Somin questioned, turning her head towards her husband. “Yoongi, what the hell?”

 

“Somin, if you guys don’t solve your problems now, you guys never will. I don’t want this becoming something that you regret later in life,” he slipped his hands into her, squeezing it twice. “I know you don’t want to do this, but please. I know this isn’t how you want it to end with your sister,”

 

“Can we sit here?” Hye Min asked, her hand coming up to run her protruding belly.

 

“Just hear her out, Somin. If you don’t want to make up with her, that’s fine, I won’t say anything. But please just give her the chance,” Yoongi pleaded.

 

“You may,” Somin nodded, turning around so she was sitting the right way in her seat. Seokjin helped Hye Min sit in the seat, her seat pushed back a little so she could comfortably rub her belly. “Should we order first?” the younger girl asked, opening the menu in front of her.

 

“Somin,” Hye Min began.

 

“Waiter!” Somin raised her hand, calling the attention of anyone. “We’re ready to order,”

 

“Somin, come on,” Yoongi whispered.

 

“Good afternoon, how are you?” Somin ignored him, smiling at the waiter. “We’re ready to order,”

 

“Of course, ma’am. What will you have?”

 

“I’ll have an order of roast chicken, mashed potatoes on the side. My husband will have the steak with mashed potatoes. One order of salmon, wait no, the fish smell may make you sick, Hye Min. Make that another steak with steamed vegetables, and an order of duck, also with steamed vegetables. Are you driving, Seokjin?”

 

“Yes, Hye Min and I are returning to work afterwards,”

 

“Sparkling water for the table, please,” Somin nodded, closing the menu to hand back to the waiter. “Thank you,”

 

“You still remember our favorites,” Seokjin chuckled, pushing his glasses up his nose bridge.

 

“I’m only here because Yoongi asked me to be,” Somin started, “so whatever you want to say, now would be the chance to say it,” she said, squeezing Yoongi’s hand under the table.

 

“I wanted to apologize to you, Somin. The day I left home was the day I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified out of my mind. Father never approved of Seokjin, what was he going to do once he found out I was pregnant, especially when unmarried? I did the first thing that came to my mind and packed up my bags and I just left. I went to Seokjin’s that very day and then one week later, we went to City Hall to sign the marriage license. We always knew that we were going to get married, all this baby did was speed up the process. There is absolutely no reason that I ignored your messages, and I did you wrong,”

 

“You were the only person that I ever considered my family. I never had a mother, and you know that Father was not the same man from our childhood. Stepmother may have let me into the house, but I was never welcome into a home. You were the only person I could turn to with any problem I was facing, and you let me down when I needed you the most, Hye Min,” Somin’s voice breaking.

 

“I’m so sorry I abandoned you,” Hye Min softly said, her eyes welling up with tears.

 

“Please excuse me,” Somin stood up, quickly walking away from the table.

 

“I’ll go after her,” Yoongi said, following Somin. “Hey, hey,” Yoongi spotted her outside the bathroom area. “I’m sorry, this is all my fault,” he wiped her tears gently.

 

“No, you’re right. I don’t want to let her go, but I can't bring myself to just forgive her so easily,” she hiccupped.

 

“It’s okay, take your time,” Yoongi consoled her, wrapping his arms around her frame. “Take your time, we’ll go back when you’re ready,” he said calmly, patting the top of her head. The two stood there for a few moments before Somin pulled back.

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me,” she said, wiping her cheeks dry.

 

“No worries, that’s what I’m here for,” the male smiled. “For you,”

 

“Are you feeling okay?” Seokjin asked once the couple came back to the table.

 

“Yes, I apologize for that,” Somin said, taking a sip of her water. “Hye Min...I can’t say that I can automatically forgive you. I felt very hurt after you left with no answer, but I also can’t blame you. You chose your happiness, and I can never be mad at that. You know that your happiness was always one of the most important things in my life, and Seokjin, you’re the only person that was made for Hye Min. I also have to thank you. You used to be my only family, but now...I have Seokjin and my future niece as well,” she smiled softly at Hye Min’s baby bump. “And Yoongi. I have my husband, and I would have never had him by my side had you not left. So yes, you hurt me, and it’ll take me time to completely forgive you, but your decision brought me a family, and for that, I’ll always be thankful to you,”

 

“You’re always going to be my little sister,” Hye Min smiled, leaning forward to hold Somin’s hand. “And I’m always going to your older sister. No matter what, we’re family,”

 

“Family,” Somin smiled softly, squeezing Yoongi’s hand under the table.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you that I invited your sister and Seokjin to lunch,” Yoongi started, breaking the silence as he drove them back home.

 

“I was initially upset, but you were right. No matter how hurt I was, I really wasn’t ready to let go of her. So, thank you for that,” she said.

 

“You know, you should really give me something I really want to show how thankful you are,” Yoongi replied.

 

“We’re not taking Min to the shelter. I see you cuddling with him on the couch, don’t lie to me,” Somin rolled her eyes.

 

“Not that,” Yoongi chuckled, drumming his fingers against the steering wheel as he waited for the light to turn green. “Right here,” he tapped his cheek.

 

“What about it?” she raised an eyebrow.

 

“I want a kiss on the cheek,” Yoongi smiled.

 

“A kiss?” Somin’s eyes widened. “I don’t - I - wha - huh?”

 

“I just want a simple kiss on the cheek from my wife,” Yoongi pouted. “Your sister kisses Seokjin all the time on his cheek, I felt jealous of all the affection that he was getting,”

 

“Yoongi, I - ”

 

“I was just joking, Somin,” Yoongi chuckled. “I would never make you do something that you’re not comfortable with.” The rest of the car ride was in silence, Somin taking peeks at the male that was driving every now and then. She had her schedule set so that she wouldn’t have to go back to work and since Yoongi was driving them, it was safe to assume that he wasn’t planning to go back either. “Do you want to watch a movie after we get settled?” Yoongi asked, pulling up to their property. Somin sat there quietly, too caught up in her thoughts to process what he said. “Somin?” Yoongi asked, tapping her shoulder.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Home,” he said, pointing out the window.

 

“Oh yeah,” she said, getting out of the car, closing it behind her as she walked to the front door, inserting her key to open it. Yoongi locked the car behind him, following Somin inside and locking the front door as well, the two taking off their shoes in silence. “I’m going to be upstairs, go through some proposals that the interns in the office came up with,” she said.

 

“Oh, okay,” Yoongi nodded, a little disappointed that she wanted to do her own thing. He picked the small kitten that was asking for attention, about to walk into his room when he felt a tug on the back of his shirt.

 

Quicker than he could even blink, he felt a soft pair of lips press against his cheeks. “See you at dinner!” Somin yelled, quickly running up the stairs.

 

“Your mother really is cute, isn’t she, Min?” Yoongi’s lips spreading into a big smile.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“I’m going to be back late from the office,” Yoongi spoke into the phone.

 

“Again? But it’s Friday night, which means it’s movie night,” Somin pouted.

 

“I know, I know, I’m sorry, but I can’t get out of this meeting,” Yoongi sighed.

 

“You really just had to be CEO, huh,”

 

“You really just had to marry the CEO, huh,” Yoongi chuckled.

 

“How late?” Somin asked.

 

“I’ll be home before nine, I promise,” Yoongi smiled, looking at the picture of the two from their wedding that he kept framed on his desk. “Oh and Somin?”

 

“Mhm?”

 

“Happy 3 month wedding anniversary,”

 

“Happy 3 months, Yoongi,” Somin smiled, disconnecting the call.

 

“Happy 3 months, Yoongi,” Jimin increased his pitch, mocking the older woman he walked into the office.

 

“One of these days, I will fire you for real,” Somin glared at the younger boy. “What do you want?”

 

“I have a project for you to head,” Jimin held a folder up.

 

“I don’t head any projects,” she frowned. “I only work on designs,”

 

“Your father has asked - well ordered - that you be head on this,” Jimin explained, placing the folder on the desk.

 

“Ugh, perfect,” she groaned. “I’ll take a look at this over the weekend, you didn’t give him a definite answer, did you?”

 

“Nope, I told him that we would get back to him within a week, but it didn’t sound like he would take no for an answer,” Jimin replied.

 

“I’ll see about that myself,” she said, placing the folder in her bag to take home. “Why don’t you head home for the weekend? It’s Friday, everyone did some great work the last few days, let everyone know they can pack up and head home as well,”

 

“I am not going to let you change your mind,” Jimin smiled, quickly exiting from the office, announcing that everyone was dismissed early. Somin heard many calls of thanks boss! as they were leaving the office, Somin smiled to herself as she continued working.

 

It was almost 6:30, an hour after she would normally be heading home when she decided to call it day. Yoongi would be home late, which meant she could take a bubble bath once she arrived home without worrying about there not being enough hot water for the both of them.

 

“A bubble bath sounds wonderful after this long week,” she said to herself, smiling as she drove down the road to her home. Once she gathered her bag and files, she got out of the car, walking to the front door with her front key. Just as she was about to unlock the door, she noticed that the door was open just the slightest bit. “I could’ve sworn that I locked the door properly this morning,” she said to herself softly, pushing the door wide open to see all the furniture a mess. ‘What the hell?’ she thought to herself, entering the house to take a better look at everything when she heard thumps from upstairs. Recognizing the sound as footsteps, she quickly ran towards Yoongi’s bedroom, closing and locking the door behind her, before entering the en suite.

 

“Did you hear someone come in?” a deep male voice spoke.

 

“No dude, stop getting paranoid,” another voice spoke up. “Quick check if that door over there is locked, we’ll look again upstairs for anything,”

 

“Are you sure this house is safe?”

 

“I’ve been watching this house everyday this entire week, no one has been coming home before 8 PM, we still have some time. Are you going to hurry or not?”

 

She felt her hands trembling, but she tried to get herself together to get her phone out of her bag. “Hello, my name is Min Somin. I need to report robbers that are inside my home right now,”

 

“The door is locked,” the male voice called.

 

“Break it and search the room,”

 

Somin quickly got in the tub, drawing the curtain to buy her some time. “I can’t talk for much longer, they’re entering the room I’m hiding in. My address is 67 Toegye-ro, Hoehyeondong 1(il)-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul. Please send help soon,” she whispered, not being able to wait for a reply before hanging up the phone, holding her breath as all she could do was wait.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

Yoongi let out another sigh, loosening the tie around his neck. Eyeing the in-car clock, it was 8:48 PM and he couldn't wait to get home. He was exhausted and annoyed that he couldn’t spend the evening with Somin. It was their third month anniversary and he had wanted to prepare a dinner for her, but alas, he had been caught up in meetings late everyday, not getting home until 9:30 PM - this was the earliest that he was going home. He reached for his phone, wanting to give Somin a heads up that he would be home soon, but furrowed his brows when the call went straight to voicemail. Her phone was never turned off when at home and this made him worry a little, increasing the speed as he drove through the streets of Seoul. 15 minutes later, he found himself pulling onto the property with two police cars and an ambulance parked, lights flashing as he spotted a few officers.

 

“What’s going on here?” Yoongi rushed out of the car, asking the first uniformed person he could see.

 

“I’m Officer Kim Namjoon, I’m with Seoul PD. Who are you?”

 

“Min Yoongi, CEO of Min Designs and Woo Studios. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on and where my wife is?”

 

“Ah, Mr. Min. Your wife is getting checked up by the EMT right now. When she arrived home, there were two robbers inside. She was hiding in the main bedroom, but they did manage to find her. It seems as if they hit her head to knock her out, but she did somehow call us and we managed to make it on scene before the robbers got away. We are currently going through everything that they have, and we would like for you to take a look to check if everything that is missing has been accounted for. I would also recommend that for a few nights, you and your wife stay elsewhere,”

 

“Do I have to go through everything tonight, or can it be done tomorrow? Somin, my wife…” Yoongi started, turning his attention to where Somin was, her eyes closed as her head leaned against the wall of the ambulance, an ice pack to the back of her head, as she was cradling Min.

 

“Yes, of course. Hoseok!” Namjoon called, waving to another officer. “This is my partner, Officer Jung. If you can just give him your contact information, and we’ll give you a call tomorrow afternoon.” Yoongi quickly gave the officer all the information he requested, weaving his way through the other officers on site to make his way to Somin.

 

“I’m her husband, Min Yoongi. Who is in charge?” he explained to the EMT.

 

“Kim Taehyung, EMT. Mrs. Min is fine, although she is displaying a slight concussion. It’s nothing to be worried about, although there are some precautions she must take. She needs rest as it is common that she may experience migraines, and she must refrain from bright lights and screens as it may make any migraine worse. I would recommend that she have a brain scan done in a few days to make sure there is no damage, and until then, she shouldn’t be going to work,” he explained.

 

“I have an important project I have to head,” Somin spoke up.

 

“Not anymore,” Yoongi replied with no hesitation. “Thank you very much,” he said to the EMT, climbing into the ambulance to sit next to the girl. “How are you doing?” he said softly.

 

“My head hurts,” she said. “A lot,”

 

“I hope they didn’t knock out all your brain cells,” Yoongi joked, allowing the girl to throw a light punch at his shoulder. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t here with you,” he added, reaching to hold her hand in both of hers.

 

“It’s not your fault,” Somin said, leaning her head down against Yoong’s shoulder.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” he shook his head, leaning his head down against hers.

 

“You’re here now, that’s all that matters,” she replied, allowing herself to find comfort in his arms. “But we can’t stay here tonight. Where are we going to find a pet friendly hotel at this time? I don’t want to go to my father’s house,”

 

“I don’t want to go to my parent’s home either,” he chuckled. “I think I know a place we can stay,”

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

“My little sister has a concussion because of you!” Hye Min yelled. “Why should I let you stay here tonight?” she frowned.

 

“Honey, maybe you can lower your tone, I’m sure it’s not the best for Somin,” Seokjin winced, handing the younger girl a warm cup of tea.

 

“Please,” Somin said, massaging her temples. “And, it wasn’t Yoongi’s fault at all, so stop blaming him,” she added.

 

“I'm sorry, there was a late night meeting,” Yoongi replied softly, unable to make eye contact with the pregnant woman. He would never admit it, but he was terrified of the older woman.

 

“He should’ve been home with you. If he was, then maybe this wouldn’t have happened,” Hye Min scowled, her fingers combing through her younger sister’s hair.

 

“Or they both could have gotten hurt,” Seokjin reasoned.

 

“I highly - ”

 

“Hye Min,” Somin cut her off. “I appreciate your concern, but not at the sake of my husband.” Hye Min scowled once again, shaking her head. “I hope for your sake Seokjin, that this baby only takes after Hye Min in appearances,” Somin chuckled.

 

“I welcome you into my home - ” Hye Min started, her eyes widening.

 

“Okay, why don’t I show them to the guest bedroom tonight, I’m sure they need rest. You should start getting ready for bed as well,” Seokjin said.

 

“If you don’t mind, can I sleep on the couch?” Yoongi asked, finally peeking up at the older couple.

 

“Seokjin will get you blankets and a pillow,” Hye Min sighed. “Come with me, Somin,”

 

“Good night Somin,” Yoongi said softly.

 

“Night, Yoongi,” Somin said, following after her sister with the kitten in her hands.

 

❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦❦

 

Yoongi was sleeping when he felt a sudden cold draft. He opened one of his eyes to take a look, surprised to see Somin in front of him, peering at him with her wide eyes.

 

“I feel scared to be alone in the room,” she said softly. “Can you come to the bedroom? Just for tonight, please?”

 

“Of course,” Yoongi said, sitting up almost immediately. He folded the blankets and left them on top of the couch, letting Somin hold one of his arms and guide them back to the bedroom. “Where’s Min?” he asked, taking a look at the empty bedroom.

 

“Hye Min wanted him for the night,” Somin explained. The two got into the bed, a good amount of space between them, their back turned to each other. As Somin finally let her eyes close and processed the events from earlier in the evening, she couldn’t help the tear that escaped her eyes. She quickly wiped it away, but Yoongi’s ears still heard her sniffling. Without a word, he turned around, extending his arms to pull her frame against his, gently pushing her head against his chest as both his arms wrapped around her. He tightened his hold, pressing soft kisses against the crown of her head. Somin turned slightly, burying her head in the crook of his neck, her hand gripping the front of Yoongi’s shirt, one of her legs coming to rest on top of his body, as if she was trying to cover him with her frame.

 

“It’s okay, I’m here now,” he repeated ever so softly, patting her arm in a pattern until it lulled her to sleep, continuing it until he fell asleep as well, holding her in his arms tight as if someone would pull her away from him.