Chapter 9 - A Prince In Need of Rescue

Lady of the Breathnach Manor





(Trigger warning: Torture is hinted at, but not detailed. Just you know, in case.)

 

Jaebum was quiet as he walked up the long narrow path to where another form stood, fidgeting and restless, near the walled and gated entryway to a grandiose spread of gardens, fountains and pools of glassy water reflecting the moonlight back up to the skies. 

 

“Chen.” JB greeted, clasping hands with the man before himself. “I thought I was meeting with Kai.”

 

“He was unable to come,” the one called Chen replied, glancing around nervously. “The council convened a new emergency meeting upon discovering your flight.”

 

“Ah. Kai is suspected then?” JB asked, a look of concern crossing his features.

 

“No, fortunately it was well known that Lady Eithne and Eurion met in the marketplace, and the situation was recognized by you as being unfortuitous. They assumed that her true lineage having been revealed publicly caused you to take immediate evasive action. My lord is in the clear yet.” Chen assured.

 

 “He instructed me to tell you that where you are currently is safest, as the duke’s father and father’s before him were all high ranking members in the society, therefore none will suspect the son of being any less than they. Kai also wished you to know that he sent his men to clean out the library and armory of all weapons and valuables, he is holding it in the furthest recesses of his underground labyrinth for safe keeping, to be returned at once following the resolution of the current situation.” 

 

Chen paused for a moment, then continued in a low voice, “It was also mentioned by Kai that your father has been speaking of you in council, wishing to reforge the bonds of family and friendship. He has also been talking about you taking his place and finding a suitable match from one of the member families. He has begun to take suggestions of the worthy daughters of the council into consideration. Kai felt you should know.”

 

Jaebum nodded, his jaw clenching, grasping the hand of the man before him. “Pass on my thanks to your lord, he has gone over and beyond my request and expectations. I hope to be able to repay him this debt soon. And should Kai wish to speak to my father of me, he can inform his worthy highness that I have no interest in taking his place or forming a marriage contract with any family of his low court minions.”

 

Chen nodded in response and understanding, then turned and slipped back through the gates, closing and locking them quietly as Jaebum himself turned and began to walk away. Suddenly Chen let out a warning cry, but before Jaebum could react, he had been seized and bound from behind, arms and hands fastened so closely together that he would be unable to move or use his powers, as a sack was thrown over his head and then delivered such a blow as to be rendered unconscious.









 

When he finally returned to his senses, Jaebum found himself in a poorly lit damp place, which he correctly surmised to be that of a dungeon, stripped to the waist, chained and shackled to a chair so tightly as to be unable to move. Whoever his captors were, they were well aware of his powers and martial arts skills, and that his magic came from fusing the two elements in his body and through his hands. It seemed they hadn’t taken any chances, his palms seemed to have been fused together by the strongest of glues, then wrapped repeatedly in thick packing tape as insurance against any type of blue flamed attack.

 

“Ah, you are awake.” said a voice, walking into the lighted area where he could be seen, followed by three others. Jaebum recognized the man as one of the lesser minions loyal to his father, and judging by the gleeful flashing yellow eyes of the others supposed them to be the man’s personal demon lackeys who did his dirty work. 

 

“Tis such a pity, treating you this way. Your father wishes you to join our council, and at some point take his place. With the power and authority and a face and body such as yours, you can have your pick of any and all of the pure blooded maidens to be your wedded wife. Pity I do not have a daughter, I would welcome one such as you as my son.”

 

JB glared, saying nothing in reply, his unafraid and hostile manner causing the noble to be taken aback slightly.

 

“Well, well, it couldn’t be helped you see. We know you are very powerful and inherited your mother’s powers, may she rest in peace, this situation was a mere precaution, self defense on our part you must understand. But now you really must cooperate and answer some questions for me. Where is the girl styling herself to be Lady Breathnach, we really must know and deal with her you see. We cannot have a half blooded usurper taking your rightful inheritance no?”

 

Jaebum continued to glare silently, his jaw clenching, the muscles in his chest bulging out as he attempted to pull his hands, body and arms free of their bonds.

 

“Well now.” the noble said, taking a step backwards and glancing nervously at the demons with him. “Surely he cannot break free, right. No? Well then. Answer me now my lord, or I fear I will have to take severe measures against you, and I would rather not do so. Where is the so-called Lady of Breathnach? Do not deceive yourself into thinking that your loyalties lie with the half blooded imposter, your allegiance is owed to your father, the council and the Northern Clans.”

 

Jaebum said nothing, but his eyes flashed in anger and defiance, his muscles bulging and straining against his restraints in unrelenting tenacity, and with a sudden burst of anger, the nobleman twisted his hands in the unmistakable form of an attack, throwing a burst of magic powers at the man who sat bound and at the mercy of all others. Jaebom absorbed the attack without so much as a flinch, and a mocking half smile came to the corners of his lips. Realizing that any attack he made would be like a toddler poking at a stone wall, the noble gave a loud huff, waved his hand to the demons and exited the dungeon saying,

 

“Well if he refuses to answer to kindness, maybe a little tough love will soften his heart.”

 

And with a jubilant yell, the demons fell to gleeful torturing, as only their kind knew how. Jaebum, eyes hard as steel, refused to make a cry or any acknowledgement that he felt any of the pain being inflicted on him, but one well aimed blow to the head and he plunged into darkness once more.

 

 

 

 

 

When he awoke he was unsure of how much time had passed, clenching his jaw from the rush of pain that overwhelmed his body. He dared not look at himself, lest somehow acknowledging the wounds existence would cause the pain to be enhanced.

 

“You’re awake.” a voice said, deep, and one that Jaebum knew immediately. His gaze hardened as he lifted his eyes to the man who now stood before him. “I have seen you in better condition than this, I fear the demons of Noble Balthry’s have gone too far, I may have to scold them.” he continued, without a shred of emotion as he took a seat in front of the beaten and bruised lad. 

 

“Now son, you must tell the royal nobles what they wish to hear. This mixed blood usurper has no right to claim your throne, your powers or your inheritance. Five hundred years have passed already, the rules set in place by the gods clearly state that the Duke of the Northern Clans is now the rightful heir, and as much as you may fight it, that right belongs to you as your mother’s son. Cease your heroic idealism, recognize truth, and take action while you still can. See, even I have stooped to come down to this lowly place to reason with you, my one and only son. Does it not show that I care for you and wish only the best for you and your future?”

 

Jaebum’s jaw clenched tighter, his eyes flashing, and once again, despite the pain he now felt in doing so, began to strain against his bonds.

 

His father signalled to the demons hiding in the background. “Go, call for Kai. Maybe he can speak sense into this stubborn offspring of mine.”

 

Moments later, Kai came down the steps, dressed as a regal officer of the secret society, his eyes cool and hard as he bowed first to the master of the council, and then gazed with detached disinterest at the bloodied and defiant man before him.

 

“I believe he was found at your gates, speaking to your servant.” the master said, and Kai smirked.

 

“I sent for him so as to relay your kind heart and wishes in a gentle manner to him, but as you can see, he was unreceptive even then. I fear you calling me here has been a waste of time, he is as unresponsive as a stone once he has decided on a course of action.”

 

“Ah but even a stone can be ground into fine dust.” said the master, as if he were not speaking of his own son.

 

“Wiser and truer words were never spoken,” Kai replied, approaching Jaebum, taking him by the chin and jerking his face upwards so as to force eye contact. Jaebum kept his eyes cold and fierce, but Kai, knowing none could see but the man before him, allowed his eyes to betray the grief and hurt he dare not show before the others at the situation his friend now found himself in. Jaebum saw his father stand and begin to approach, and fearing Kai would be caught, spit forcibly and defiantly into his face. Masking his true emotions immediately, Kai slapped Jaebum with all the force he could muster, causing his head to whip to the side. Jaebum winced from the blow as Kai turned away, wiping the spit from his face with an air of disdain and disgust to face the master of the council.

 

“I am sorry my master, I struck without thinking. I apologize.” Kai said, lowering his head in obeisance.

 

“It was deserved. I fear that we will have to let the demons have their way with him for another day before he begins to show any signs of reason. But if that’s what it takes, then so be it.” and with a wave the father sentenced his son to another day of pain, without a sign of emotion or remorse, leaving coolly and calmly as the sounds of beating and torture once more filled and echoed off the dungeon walls. 












 

Eithne stood silently in the orangery, gazing at the orange tree before her, willing time to turn back so she could do things over. How she regretted her words. Her actions. Her tone. A day had passed, and it had been torturous. The second day was even slower in waning away. It was now the third evening, and already she was becoming restless, anxious. The others had noticed her despondent look and pensive attitude, and tried to assure her that if not tonight, then certainly tomorrow she could expect the return of the one she longed for, though their faces too began to take on a look of worry. At last Himchan announced that he would go and find what news he could, and if possible, bring JB back with himself.

 

He had hardly been gone ten minutes when he returned with two men that Eithne did not recognize. She was not invited into the meeting room where the other boys automatically gathered, either by intent or by oversight on their parts, but instinctively knowing what the meeting was about, she slidled close to the door, and peered through into the room.

 

“I managed to lift some of the recordings being made,” one of the two new men was saying grimly, “That way you can see the dungeon type, what the demons you will have to face look like, and I’ve attached the coordinates to find the place as well. It is the old Hearthwil watchtower in the Kalsilas woods in the Easternmost part of the Northern Clans.”

 

Himchan clicked on the screen, and began flipping through the collection of pictures and short videos, and Eithne felt suddenly sick to her stomach. In the background of the close ups identifying the demons she very clearly could make out the mangled form and face of Jaebum. Her Jaebum. How dare these demons lay so much as a finger on one who belonged to her. A deep and fierce anger began to brew inside of her, but the next thing she saw absolutely incensed her.

 

“The next slide is a video, I had the cameras do a 180 so as to give you an understanding of the dungeon layout. Be prepared, it is difficult to watch.” the stranger who had brought the news said grimly. Eithne watched as the camera slowly panned in a complete take of the dungeon layout, heard the demons screaming at Jaebum to reveal where she was hiding as they beat him mercilessly, he wincing from the pain of the blows but otherwise silent and unyielding. 

 

Something within her snapped at that moment, a fury and power exploding inside of her that was so blinding that when she came to her senses she found herself running through the woods as if a deer. She received a slight shock, noticing red and orange flames up from her hands as she ran, but remembering Jaebum’s blue flames and not feeling any pain, decided that this must be her powers, and with renewed fury and energy she ran, ready to burn those who dared to so much as lay a finger on her man to ashes on the ground.

 

She didn't know where she was going, but then again she did. It wasn't conscious, but an inner knowledge of where to go. A faint thought crossed her mind, surprise over the fact that her light blue dress seemed unscathed, despite the furious running through the woods, the same woods she had struggled through with such difficulty earlier in the week. She wasnt sure how far she had run, or even how fast she was running. The surroundings were a blur rushing past her as her one focus remained, to find and free her man, her mate, her destiny.

 

Then suddenly, there it was, looming before her, the very place that had been described by the informant. A single, dilapidated old tower, with four figures standing around the entrance and talking. Eithne recognized them as the demons carrying out the torture from the video, and as she ran she crossed, , moved her arms as if one greatly versed in the use of martial arts and  magic fires, sending balls of flame racing towards each of the four that stood in her path. 

 

Suddenly noticing her, the demons gave a cry of fear, scrambling for their weapons, but Eithne’s attack had been too fierce, too sudden, too powerful, and one by one with a cry they disappeared with a poof into swirling embers.

 

Without slowing down, Eithne raced down the flights of steps, blowing the door open with fearsome power before she had even so much as touched it, then running, fell to her knees before the barely conscious man before her. She feared him to be dead. He seemed lifeless. She was too late. With a cry of grief, she lifted his hanging head and pressed her lips to his, unable to accept the finality of the situation, and willing with all her might, life and strength back into his body. His lips moved, slowly, pressing against hers, gently pulling her in and deepening the kiss, and Eithne trembled from the electric shock that surged through her body in response, before gently pulling away, her hands still cradling his face tenderly, brushing back his hair and caressing his cheek, his nose, his lips softly.

 

“My lady, you came.” he whispered, his face turned towards her, though she doubted he could see her well as swollen as his eyes were.

 

Touching his leg bonds, she freed him instantly, one by one touching and breaking off each chain that bound his cut and bloodied body to the chair, finally breaking the numerous bonds that held his arms captive, and pulling him to his feet, draped one of his arms across her shoulders, holding to his hand tightly while her other arm encircled his waist and assisted him as he staggered forward.

 

“Are you alone my lady.” he breathed, struggling forward as she did her best to move carefully and gently. “Surely you did not come alone.”

 

“I am alone.” she admitted quietly

 

“Then we must hurry my lady, in mere minutes the noble will arrive with more of his demons, and they will look for us. If that happens my lady, you must leave me and run. Do you understand.”

 

Gritting her teeth and ignoring his instruction, she tightened her grip on his waist and began to run, quickly regaining the speed with which she had come to rescue him in the first place. She felt his body slump, his head falling against her shoulder as he lost consciousness, but somehow she did not lose her grip on him nor did he get any heavier.

 

As they neared the castle she felt him return to consciousness and lift his head, and she slowed down, suddenly feeling very tired and weary, and struggling to go forward with the heavy weight of the man leaning against her. 

 

She heard a shout of astonishment from the castle, and looked up to see Bambam, Jackson, and Jinyoung rushing towards them, the next instant Bambam and Jinyoung had each taken one of Jaebum’s arms and now took the task of half assisting, half carrying their leader to the safety of the castle, while Jackson caught Eithne in his arms and carried her back, her head falling against his shoulder as she lost consciousness, her body, unaccustomed to dealing with so much magic, simply shutting down as a reflexive self preservation.