Chapter 7 - Of Threats and Secrets

Lady of the Breathnach Manor

 

 

“My lady, the gods of whom I spoke of to you before were not the only ones to come live on earth. They were the first, but not the last. Other gods came when the stars they lived on became uninhabitable, but all owed their allegiance to the family of Breathnach, as they had been given the first rights of ruling by the high gods. There was established a hierarchy, your family is the first, oldest, most royal of blood lines, and as such have the protection of the moon warriors. The next wave of star gods to settle their families were known as the secondary families, they were also given kingdoms and lands to rule, but they must pay homage and tribute to the King and Queen of the land, and could only hold titles of duke and duchess. There were five such families, but as time passed, two of the families became more powerful, and through marriage and contracts became allied with the remainder three who became swallowed up into their duchy.

 

“Of the two, the Eastern Clan, ruled by the Bang family, stayed loyal to the original King and Queen, the Northern Clan joined in Bedwyr’s rebellion, and since that time have been hostile towards your family, waiting for the right to claim the title of supreme ruler of the earth. 

 

“The gods stated that should 500 years pass without a claim to the throne by the ruling family, then the next family with the oldest and royalest of blood shall take their place, be given all the magic and powers belonging to those who ruled previously, as well as the loyalty and protection of the moon warriors. My lady, it has been 499 years since a Breathanch of the royal line was here to claim their rightful title, it is now just within the grasp of the Northern Clan, as they, being the first to disembark upon landing on earth, theoretically hold the right as being the next oldest family in line. They have been watching us closely, observing our every move, ready to put away any threat to their soon to be held power. Your arrival has threatened their plans, the only way now of accessing the throne is to either dispute your legitimacy or kill you.” JB’s voice grew quieter, pausing and clenching his jaw. 

 

“My lady, there is no doubt of your legitimacy. When you first called me about visiting for the summer Jinyoung and I investigated your lineage. Your ancestors knew their true heritage and kept very detailed documentation to prove their claims should the time come to do so. The Northern Clan obviously heard rumors of your visit, and sent Eurion to investigate the truth of the matter. He confirmed your staying here, but was unable to confirm your identity or the reason for your visit, as you discovered him and alerted us to his presence before he could do so. Your declaration to him today of your name and lineage will have been reported to the other clans by now, and they will be busy investigating your heritage for the next few days before they decide on what to do. In this moment of reprieve that we will have, we will teach you to access, control and fight with your powers gifted you and your family by the will of the gods, and once you have openly claimed your title as heiress there can be no dispute.”

 

“And the demon? Where does he fit in?” Eithne asked softly. JB pursed his lips, clenched his jaw and let out a long slow breath before answering.

 

“In the days of Bedwyr an argument arose among the gods on earth, whether or not their blood should be kept pure and seperate from the human race or not. Your family saw no wrong in intermarriage with the humans, and some of other clans followed suit, but the Northern Clan resented this and created a secret society for for those whom they called the true gods, those who were pure blooded, without any trace of human. Those who were mixed were seen as usurpers, humans attempting to become equals of the gods. Many such persons, once they reached prominence and began to accrue wealth, power or fame, would suddenly disappear, their properties seized by one or more members of the secret society. In such a way they sought to weed out any who threatened them, their power, their status. And because the society was secret, there was no way of proving the guilty parties involved.

 

“It was during this time that evil gods infiltrated the earth, despite the strict rules of the star gods that the earth be off limits to them. The secret society discovered them and their existence first, promising to give them protection and cover as humans on earth so long as the demons obeyed their wishes, and the evil ones agreed. They have been the spies, the cutthroats, the dirty hands of the society. Eurion is one of the many such who live in our village, his task is to watch us specifically.”

 

“Are you...mixed?” Eithne asked hesitantly. “Is that why he watches you?”

 

JB’s eyes turned very cold and steely, his voice hard as he replied, “No my lady. My father is one of the members of the pure blooded society, I am unmixed. It is one such as you that they have been watching us for, as we are bound to protect and serve any who claims the inheritance of the family of Breathnach. Once they discover that you are indeed a direct descendant of Cedwyn, and more than that, you are mixed with human blood, they will not rest til they have orchestrated an accident or outright cold blooded attack with which to end your life. My job is to ensure that you claim your inheritance, are recognized by all who owe loyalty to you, and see to it that none comes close to harming a hair on your head.”

 

Eithne nodded. There was a long pause. Then quietly, not daring to look at him, she asked, “And are you not part of the pure blood society as your father is?”

 

“It is one of the many reasons I have not spoken with my father in ten years my lady. He and I see the world very differently.” JB replied, his voice terse and sharp. “I neither belong to nor agree with the prejudiced tenets of such a society.”

 

Eithne nodded in understanding, then raising her eyes to study his features asked, “And last night? You...were so different.”

 

JB’s face softened and he smiled. “One of the peculiarities of being a moon warrior is that we change in appearance when prowling around at night, better to blend in with the dark, and if we are seen, be confused by the witness for someone other than ourselves.”

 

“That is why you had long hair and blue eyes?”

 

“Indeed my lady.”

 

“Ah.”

 

At this moment Jackson and Jinyoung entered the room, and JB, standing to his feet, gave them a nod.

 

“Ok well, now that you are all caught up on the history of the last 500 years, how about I introduce you to the weapons of your ancestors and see which of them lays claim to you.” Jackson said cheerfully, and then seeing the confused look on Eithne’s face grumbled to JB, “Aw boss you didn't tell her that our weapons choose their wielders? Right well come with me Eithne and I’ll explain the whole thing to you and show you our armory.”

 

And pulling her up Jackson slung an arm around her shoulder, guiding her out of the room as he bragged about what she was going to see and experience once arrived.

 

“You told her everything?” Jinyoung asked quietly, looking at JB, who nodded grimly in response. “Including your father?”

 

“I said he is a member of the society.” JB replied coldly. “I didn't think she needed to know all the details.”

 

Jinyoung heaved a deep sigh, shaking his head slowly. “You should tell her the whole truth Jaebum.”

 

JB’s eyes flashed as he seized Jinyoung by the collar and twisted the clothing into a tight wad with his strong, angry fist, “And what good would that do, her knowing.” he hissed, stepping closer as he glared at the man opposite himself. “My father and ancestry has nothing to do with how I choose to live my own life, and putting needless doubts and distrust into her head isn't going to help me protect her. I swore an oath Jinyoung, before the gods, before the nobles, before you. The decisions of those who have gone before me plays no role in my life, I will honor my word, I will not betray Lady Eithne, the house of Breathnach, you, or any of the others in our team. And if you have any doubts in me then you can leave at once.”

 

Jinyoung calmly placed a reassuring hand over the fist that gripped his clothing and replied in an unperturbed steady voice, “Jaebum, neither I nor any of the others have ever doubted you nor blamed you for the sins of your forefathers. But Lady Eithne is your mate, it is best that she knows sooner rather than later. She will, as we have, accept you unconditionally, if you would only give her the chance.”

 

JB gave an agonized groan, releasing his hold on Jinyoung, and collapsing to the floor, buried his head in his hands. “How can she be my mate when we must never be together so long as my father lives?”

 

Jinyoung sighed, placed a hand on JB’s shoulder and squeezed gently.






 

 





 

“Well, what do you think. Which one of the weapons is calling your name.” Jackson asked anxiously, following Eithne closely and peering over her shoulder as she walked through the massive underground armory, picking up, turning, then putting down one weapon after the other. 

 

“I don't know, am I supposed to feel something? A tingle or heat or what?” Eithne asked, a doubting expression on her face.

 

“Something like that, and you’ll just know, it will feel natural, like a bond, like finding your mate.” Jackson said

 

Eithne turned and gave him a funny expression. 

 

“Like you and Jaebum.” Jackson clarified.

 

Eithne flushed, dropping her head in embarrassment. “What are you talking about, don't be silly.” she muttered, fidgeting with a pair of nunchucks.

 

“Of course you know, it's like destiny, you always know when you’ve met your mate.” Jackson asserted. “You get a burning fire in your chest, can’t breathe, whenever you look into their eyes or touch them you feel intense energy and connection and wholeness and the only thing you can think of at all times is that one person.”

 

“You have a mate then?” Eithne asked, turning to him with a look of curiosity.

 

“No, not yet. But I hope I’ll meet her soon.” Jackson said, b with confidence.

 

“You described the feeling as if you know it though.” Eithne commented, raising her eyebrows in surprise.

 

“Oh that’s what Jaebum told me.” Jackson replied nonchalantly. “What it’s like for him since you came.”

 

Eithne flushed and turned away, suddenly flustered. “He told you that?” she whispered. “Are you sure you should be telling me?”

 

“What do you mean.” Jackson asked in surprise. “Everyone knows you’re his destined mate, he hasn’t spoken with you about that yet?”

 

Eithne shook her head and there was a long moment of silence before Jackson spoke in a slightly panicked tone of voice.

 

“I am so dead. Promise you won't tell him what I’ve said, he’ll kill me. You’ve seen his powers. He can kill me, bring me back to life and kill me again as often as he wants for an eternity and I’ll have no way of escape.” Jackson's voice turning into one of despair as he spoke. Eithne gave a low laugh, and turning to look at Jackson held out her pinky.

 

“I won’t tell.”

 

A relieved Jackson clasped her pinky with his, pointing at her with the finger of his other hand as he said, “You promised, don’t forget.”

 

With a smile and nod, Eithne turned back to the artifacts laid out before her, a strange feeling in her heart. He felt the same way she did when she was with him. So why hadn't he made a move by this point? Confessed? Her brows furrowed slightly and she sighed. Moving from the small weapons Eithne now looked at the tall, heavy weaponry, chewing on her lip in uncertainty as she stared up at the broadswords, battle axes, spears and spiked bludgeons that had most definitely been crafted for men of gigantic height and width. 

 

“Well?” Jackson asked anxiously, but Eithne turned to look at him and shook her head, shrugging her shoulders in confusion.

 

“I - I don't know, nothing has really captured me in the way you described, are you sure I have any powers?” Eithne asked helplessly.

 

“Well, Jaebum doesn't have a weapon either, he has the blue flame that comes at his will, maybe you have something similar to that.” Jackson replied, looking as stumped as she. “I’m supposed to be the one in charge of training, but I can’t train you if we don't know what your weapon or powers are.”

 

There was a long moment of silence, then Jackson wrinkled his nose, shook his head and said, “Well, let’s go to the training room. Even if you don't have a weapon you can still learn martial arts, maybe that will release your powers and you’ll combine the two like JB does.”

 

Eithne followed Jackson up the narrow winding stairwell back to the main portion of the manor, through the halls in a different direction than she had yet been, and into a decent sized gymnasium, complete with padded center flooring for sparring or gymnastics, bars and various rudimentary exercise equipment against one end of the wall, the other lined with heavy punching bags. 

 

The gym echoed with the sounds of bare fists meeting the leather of a punching bag in powerful, rapid succession, and on entering the two saw JB, stripped to the waist, wearing nothing but traditional baji, as he attacked the bag with such fury and strength as to cause Jackson to take a step back, pull a face of uneasy alarm, and make a motion to Eithne that they needed to make a run for it. Noticing the two before they could put the plan into motion, JB strode towards them with a fierce expression on his face, and Eithne could see Jackson’s eyes shaking slightly as he approached them.

 

JB raised his eyebrows in stern questioning at Jackson, who replied with an exaggerated shrug and wide eyed look of innocence. JB gave a curt nod in reply then motioned with his head for Jackson to leave, an order which was immediately complied to as JB now turned his attention to Eithne, walking so close as to almost stand up against her, his demeanor hard and fierce.

 

“Go into that side room, find a uniform that fits you, then come out and show me what fighting skills you have.” he said, cold and harsh, and for the first time she noticed, not addressing her with the respectful title she had become used to hearing from him.

 

Feeling small and terrified, Eithne scurried to do his bidding, returning to the floor moments later where he stood waiting for her in the center. As she drew near, he attacked, and she found herself suddenly on the floor, pinned beneath his weight.

 

“Get up.” he said in a hard voice. Once more she stood up, once more she was knocked off her feet and flipped to the floor, pinned beneath the wall of rock hard muscle that she knew she could never hope to overcome. “Up.” he commanded. And so it went, for how long Eithne was unsure, but as the strenuous exercise continued she began to feel exhausted, and what's more confused and frightened by the sudden change in JB’s manner and attitude towards her, to the point where she felt the next take down by him would result in her bursting into tears. 

 

But the next take down did not come. JB was looking at her quietly, studying her features, arms crossed at his chest.

 

“Nothing, my lady?” he asked softly.

 

She swallowed hard, staring at him, too tired to comprehend.

 

“Go, wash up my lady, rest. Your training for today is done.” JB said, turning from her to walk back towards the punching bags.

 

Numbly, Eithne turned and did as bidden.