Chapter 10 - Of Proposals and Rejections

Lady of the Breathnach Manor




(Warning - this chapter has a little bit of steam. No actual , but you know, some touching and steam. If that makes you uncomfortable, then avoid reading between the parts marked with    ">.............<"     and you'll be fine :)

 

 

 

 

 


 

Jaebum winced as Mark carefully applied the salve Youngjae had made and was holding, to cuts and abrasions that were on the back before him. If the part that largely had avoided the beatings and was scrapped only because of his trying to break away hurt this badly, Jaebum thought with a grimace, he hated to think how much it was going to hurt when they applied it to his face, arms and chest. He adjusted his position on the medical bed/ table where he was now sitting, staring ahead at the counter and cabinet in front of him lined with all sorts of medical supplies and medications. Himchan’s castle was well supplied indeed.

 

“Be still.” Mark scolded, giving a light punch to a portion of JB’s shoulder that wasn't bruised, and JB winced again.

 

Two days had already passed since Eithne had suddenly come into use of her powers and rescued Jaebum from the clutches of their enemies, and having been under the constant care and treatment of Mark and Youngjae, which had included a forced ice and herb bath that might have been considered undue excessive torture had it not been in his best interest, JB found that now his swelling had gone down, especially in his face, to the point that he could open his eyes normally once more. The dark colorations remained, as did the ugly cuts, but he was beginning to feel more like himself and no worse than when he had first started warrior training in his younger years. He had earned many a bruise and cut then too.

 

“I wonder when she’ll wake up.” Youngjae said, shaking the salve down into a corner of the container for easier access by Mark. “Her body seemed pretty shocked and overloaded.”

 

“Ah to be young and in love.” Mark mused, a teasing glint coming to his eye as JB’s head dropped forward, hiding his blush with his long hair. “One things for sure, everyone will have heard of her abilities by now, she left a trail of magic so strong as to knock a new warrior off his feet should he cross it unsuspectingly. The council will be in no hurry to cross her now.”

 

“We need to start gathering her supporters, announce and present her to the royal courts, put enough strength behind her that the Northern Clans will not dare to do anything openly against her.” JB said, tensing slightly as Mark carefully wiped salve over a particularly sensitive bruise on his back. 

 

“Agreed.” replied Mark. “To be honest I think we can safely return to the manor and begin preparations for her introduction into society, as well as a very public declaration of her claim. Now that she has proven beyond doubt that she also has been gifted with powers from the gods, the Eastern Clans will fall in line behind her and pledge their loyalty, forcing the Northern Clans to also make a show of it. We won't have to worry about anything except for a stab in the back, but between the seven of us I think we can prevent anything of the sort from happening.”

 

Jaebum gave a hum of agreement and added, “The fact that both Yongguk and Himchan’s duchies are already aligned with us will give a large boost to her credibility, especially considering their ties with the pure blood society. Their allegiance to her will go a long way in swaying those who perhaps are not very strong in their pure blood beliefs.”

 

“Himchan especially.” agreed Youngjae. “Out of all of our allies, he’s the strongest because of his pure blood and royal background. Many still bend towards allegiance to him, especially those who served in the council when his father was the grand master.”

 

“I thought only the Northern Clans were part of that despicable assembly?” Mark asked, taking a cloth to carefully press against one of the back cuts that has broken open and begun to bleed.

 

“The council’s cursed tentacles reach into all clans and kingdoms.” Jaebum said in a hard tone of voice. “The majority are Northern Clan, but many of the Eastern and lower Southern and Western Clans have also joined and held high positions of power.”

 

There was a long pause as Mark carefully removed the cloth, dabbing it around the outer edges of the wound to be sure that the bleeding had been curtailed, then glanced up at Youngjae who was signalling to him to turn and look back. Seeing Eithne standing quietly in the doorway, Mark motioned for her to come closer, and taking the container of salve from Youngjae, handed it to her, showing with hand motions towards his own body and that of Jaebum where the salve still needed to be applied, then taking Youngjae by the hand, Mark dragged him silently out of the room, closing the door quietly and carefully behind them.

 

Eithne, feeling suddenly shy, dipped her fingers into the salve and then gently, carefully, applied to the back of the shoulder closest to her. She felt a shudder run through him, heard his breath catch and saw his muscles flex and tensed.

 

“My lady. You are awake.” he said simply, his deep voice deepening as he spoke, causing Eithen in turn to tremble and cease to breath for a moment.

 

There was a long silence as she carefully, gently, rubbed the salve into his back, every touch full of tenderness to the point of being almost a caress. He felt her lips pressed against the back of his shoulder and shuddered from the energy that rushed through his body in response.

 

“I thought I would never see you again.” her voice said quietly, full of regret. “And after the way I acted, what I said…” her voice trailed off as she came around the side of the medical table, her hands fidgeting with the salve and her eyes focused downwards as she came to stand in front of him. “I’m sorry….”

 

“My lady, you of all people need not apologize to me. There is nothing to forgive.” he replied softly, watching as her eyes slowly came up to meet his. 

 

There was a long moment of silence in which the two merely stared deep into the other’s eyes. Then Eithne moved closer, up against the medical table, between his legs, and reaching up, softly applied the salve to his chest, more of a tender caress and appreciation of his body than actual medical care. His chest began to heave, his breath coming out deeper and faster, his body shuddering from her touch and his eyes darkening as they stared down into hers, her hands softly skimming over his torso, fingers following the outlines of his abs and pecs as she bit her lower lip and gave him an unmistakable look.

 

>...............................................................<

 

All at once their lips were locked in a passionate kiss, his arms wrapping around to hold her gently, her arms wrapping around him and pulling him as close as was possible, pressing up against him. Still kissing her lips tenderly, Jaebum slowly slipped off the bed and stood up to his full height, pulling her lips into his as he slowly walked her backwards and up against the wall, pressing up against her with his full body as he slipped his tongue past her lips and deepened the kiss. She shuddered, clinging to his shoulders as she felt her knees weaken from the heat that was building up within her, a sudden need rising inside of her to feel his touch on her body. Letting her hand slip down his shoulder, over his well rounded biceps, and down his forearm, she took hold of his hand, and bringing it up, placed it over her .

 

He gasped into , freezing for a long moment, the silence being broken only by the sound of his haggard breathing, before pressing up against her even harder, his kisses becoming deeper, more , his hand gently squeezing and fondling her perfectly rounded , his thumb drawing a circular pattern over the materials that covered her with just enough pressure to drive her crazy. She could feel the pressure of his excitement pressing against her, and it made her nearly dizzy with desire. Unable to resist the urge to feel out his size, she let her hand drop to gently palm and cup against him through the material of his baji. He shuddered, pressing against her hand as his head fell to lean against her shoulder, his haggard breathing, and trembling, heaving body betraying how wreaked he was by her gentle touches. He pressed a long, slow, sensual kiss on her neck, earning a light squeeze of appreciation to his special area from her, and he shuddered before finally speaking.


 

>.................................................................................<


 

“My lady, what would you like of me. I will do everything in my power to please you, regardless of what you ask of me.” he whispered into her ear, his breath tickling against her neck as his lips brushed against her sensually.

 

“Be my mate. Forge a marriage contract with me.” she whispered in reply.

 

He straightened, backing away from her, his eyes seeking hers out as his brows furrowed slightly.

 

“My lady?” he asked, his voice displaying the doubt of his having heard correctly.

 

“Jinyoung told me everything. That I will need to meet the nobles, form alliances, and make a public claim to the manor. He said that forging a marriage contract would strengthen my ties to the kingdoms here, and I should make my choice as quickly as possible, preferably before I make my official claim.” Eithne said quietly. “I choose you. I want you to be my mate, and lord of the Breathnach Manor.”

 

Jaebum recoiled as if shot, his face turning white, his eyes taking on a look that Eithne couldn’t interpret, and his voice, though deep and strong, shook slightly. “My lady, I can serve you, please you and fulfill all wishes but this one. You need a marriage contract with a man who has strong political and social ties, one who can protect you with his influence as much as with his sword. My lady, I am a danger to your life and to your inheritance, I can only be your protector, I cannot, and never can be, your suitor. My body is yours to do with as you please, use me to fulfill your every need and desire, regardless of what it is, but this one thing I cannot grant you.”

 

There was a long silence as Eithne’s lower lip trembled, and not daring to look at her any longer, Jaebum lowered his head and spoke quietly.

 

“My lady, if you would be willing to listen to what counsel I offer, forge a marriage contract with Himchan. He is the strongest of all prospective suitors, and a marriage alliance with him would bring you strong political and influential protection. He cares for you, he is attracted to you, and your personalities work well together. I would always be here, standing behind you, but I would be in your shadow, protecting you from a distance.”

 

Eithne swallowed hard, unable to utter a word. She had been so sure he would accept her proposal that she was unsure how to deal with this rejection, gentle though it was. She watched as he bowed his head slightly lower, then turned and left the room quietly. Her body shook as she fought back the tears, confused questions swirling in her head. Was he not her mate, her destiny? Why offer his body and soul to her, and refuse a public recognition of their bond? Was he afraid of commitment? Of children? Was it possible that it was because of her mixed blood? He mentioned that his father was part of the secret society, was he refusing because he did not want to shame his family? 

 

Tears welled up and dripped down her cheek, and she swiped them away angrily. Whatever this was, Jinyoung would know. He was closest to JB and could explain why he felt himself unworthy to be a suitor. Pursing her lips and steadying herself, she exited the infirmary room and sought out Jinyoung.


 

 

 

...............................................................................................................................................................

A/N: I couldn't figure out how to include a poll, so here's the question. Who likes just steam and who would like a little more rated? I know I have a few readers but I have no idea of the age range or preferences (inserts shrug emoji)

Edit: Nvmnd, figured it out, vote away below lol ;)