Chapter 11 - Of Secrets Revealed

Lady of the Breathnach Manor

 

 

 

 

Jinyoung looked up with a smile, standing quickly to his feet and setting aside his book as Eithne entered his room, her face troubled. “Lady Eithne, I did not expect to see you so soon. Take a seat, tell me what is troubling you.” he said, his voice kind as she took a chair opposite him and gave him a look of despair.

 

“Jaebum says he is a dangerous and unworthy suitor, and that I should make a marriage alliance with Himchan.” Eithne said quietly, looking down at the floor as she pulled at her fingers.

 

“Ah.” Jinyoung replied, voice full of understanding.

 

“Is it because I am mixed blood? He would cause shame to his family by being with me, that’s it, isn’t it.” she whispered, eyes suddenly welling up as she furiously tried to keep them down.

 

“No my lady, it is because he is a righteous and noble man who wishes to do right.” Jinyoung replied quietly, pulling his chair closer to her til their knees touched. He took her hands into his and gave a gentle reassuring squeeze.

 

“Remember the story he told you, about how the gods came to have war on the earth, how the great warrior betrayed his King and the King's heir? Jaebum is a direct descendant in an unbroken line of generations from the first leader of the moon warriors, the same line that betrayed and fought against your direct ancestor Cedwyn in pursuit of self advancement, kingdom and power.”

 

Confused, Eithne looked up at Jinyoung. “That’s all? Then it's nothing, Jaebum had nothing to do with what happened more than 500 years ago.”

 

“That is not all my lady.” Jinyoung said quietly. “His mother was the leader of the Northern Clans until her death, which happened when Jaebum was in warrior training to take leadership of us six here. Jaebum’s father, who was lead warrior here at the time, announced immediately that he would retire and rule in his young son’s place at the Northern Clan’s castle, until the time came that Jaebum should have a son and his son be old enough to take Jaebum’s place as lead warrior. For then of course Jaebum would take his rightful position as leader of the Northern Clans.” 

 

“I don't understand. You’re saying that Jaebum is the rightful leader of our enemies, the Northern Clans?” Eithne repeated slowly, her brain racing to comprehend what was being told her. Jinyoung nodded.

 

“More yet still my lady, Himchan’s father was Great Master of the pure blood council at the time that Jaebum’s father took control of the Northern Clans, but met a sudden and mysterious death shortly thereafter. Many thought that Jaebum's father had something to do with it, but nothing could be proven, and he took the position as the new leader of both the Northern Clans and the council of the pure blooded, almost at the same time.

 

“In this time of course, the deadline drew ever closer for the Breathnach’s family to be retired from rulership, and the first born heir of the Northern Clans to take his place as the new monarch, but all the while Jaebum’s father has been scheming, accruing power, influence, and making his moves to position himself where he could claim that he was the new rightful king of the lands, his son Jaebum as his crown prince and heir rather than the rightful ruler, and all of this based on the fact that he had been the husband of the last Clan leader. The greed of his ancestors truly runs within his veins, never have I heard of one so foul as he, so connivinning, so unconcerned with the welfare of others. The beating and interrogation seeking to find you that Jaebum endured, that was done by orders from his own father.”

 

Eithne gave a low gasp, as slowly the entire situation began to dawn on her.

 

“This is why Jaebum refused you. He knows the ruthlessness of his own father, the shame of his family's betrayals, and he refuses to join in, seeking after power and kingdoms with a cold and murderous heart as those before him have. He will protect you as he swore he would, without jeopardizing your safety and rightful claim to your inheritance. He is your mate, and he knows this, but stronger than the desire he has for you is his will to protect you. He would rather endure the heartbreak of seeing you with another man than break the oath of loyalty to you, your family, and to us, that he swore on the day he became the lead warrior of the house of Breathnach.”

 

“Why should I be in danger though, wouldn't that simply strengthen my claims?” whispered Eithne. “The marriage contract of the first and second family would be so strong none could dispute it.”

 

“That is where the heartlessness of Jaebum’s father comes in.” Jinyoung replied grimly. “He need only announce that he wishes to give the Northern Clans to Jaebum, and force him to either renounce his claim to the Northern Clans, or to move into the castle where you would be within easy reach of his father’s demon minions, who could make quick work of you, leaving his father free to announce a new marriage for Jaebum and claim him as the rightful heir of Breathnach via his widowed marriage to the last heir. 

 

“Should Jaebum renounce his right to the Northern Clans, then his father is no longer a regent ruling on his behalf. He becomes the lawful leader, is free to marry, have more sons who would then become his heirs, and work out a way to have both you and Jaebum put away so that he could assume power here as well. The only other options really are for Jaebum to kill his father, but he will never do so willingly, the second being to run from this place entirely, leaving the manor and us six alone to defend it, which he also will never do. He is a loyal, righteous man, who will never seek his own gain, and lives by the high standards he set for himself without wavering.”

 

Eithne rose, a new look in her eyes, one of deep respect and understanding, and giving Jinyoung’s hand a gentle squeeze, she left the room with renewed determination written across her face.












 

She found him in the library, leaning back against a shelf while he slowly leafed through the pages, engrossed and in his own separate world, his shirt hanging low and loose to keep any uncomfortable contact with his wounds to a minimum. His eyes shifted from the book to hers as she quietly approached, reaching out to touch his forearm softly.

 

“My lady.” he said quietly, acknowledging her presence as he slowly straightened up to his full height and placed the book aside. 

 

“I spoke with Jinyoung. I know.” she said quietly. He bowed his head, his eyes closing slowly as he let out a soft, “Ah.”

 

“Jaebum, what your ancestors have done, even what your father has done, this is not of your doing. It does not change my heart in the least.” Eithne said, her voice strong and determined. “I wish for you to be the lord of Breathnach. Not through illegitimate means or by underhanded strategies, but through your own honest worth which merits such an alliance, and because I wish for it to be so.”

 

“And yet, my lady, still it can change nothing. I will not let you or your inheritance be put into jeopardy because of my father. I am an unworthy suitor.” he replied quietly

 

“Then I shall wait for you. If we cannot wed until your father has passed, then I will wait.” she said, her hand reaching up to his face to raise it gently, brushing his hair back and caressing his cheek softly.

 

“My lady, it is unwise to do so. You need the protection that Himchan can offer, do not wait for what might never come to be.” he replied quietly, his eyes tender as they gazed into hers, hiding a longing that could never be fulfilled. She let her hand drop, her gaze fell.

 

“Surely there can be some way around this situation.” she whispered.

 

“My lady, I have searched for answers myself. This is the only one I can give.” his deep quiet voice said in a resolute reply.

 

“Jaebum.”

 

“My lady.”

 

“You said you would fulfill any wish I had of you did you not?”

 

“All but the one which I cannot grant my lady.” he replied softly.

 

“Then I wish for you to hold me.” Eithne whispered, her eyes still focused on the floor below. 

 

Slowly, gently, strong arms wrapped around her, leaning her head against his muscled chest, and she found herself in the warm, comforting, and close embrace of the man she knew could never be replaced by another. 

 

She felt his forehead rest against the back of her head as he whispered, “I wish it were otherwise my lady, that I were of a different family, one that could protect you and be mated with you, but fate is against what nature demands, and you must follow your fate rather than that of nature. In this way you can survive, and I can be at your side. Speak with Himchan my lady. I know he will gladly forge a marriage contract with you, and he will be good to you.”

 

“That is your wish?” she whispered, and there was a moment of silence as Jaebum struggled within himself, the sudden urge to be jealous, possessive, to never let her be held in another man’s arms, rising up within him. How would he be able to stand by, watch her carry and bear another man’s children, knowing that she was sleeping every night in the embrace of someone that was not himself, and being caressed in a way which he longed to caress her? He fought against himself, then with a heavy hearted breath recovered his resolve, saying in a soft deep voice as his arms tightened around her, “Yes my lady. That is my wish.”

 

There was the sound of a polite cough, and someone knocking against the opposite wall. Jaebum released his hold on her immediately, backing away to lean against the bookshelf, while Eithne turned to see who was interrupting. Himchan appeared casually from around the side of the bookshelf, sauntering up with his hands in his pockets as he looked at first one, and then the other.

 

“I think I may just have a solution for our little problem.” he said, a smile slowly crossing his features.