Chapter 3 - Releasing the Magic

Lady of the Breathnach Manor




 

Eithne woke with the sun streaming through the curtains. A bird chirped from outside her window. Rolling out of bed, she examined herself in the bathroom mirror. What a wreck, her makeup was smudged, hair a bird's nest. She had simply changed into the tshirt and sweatpants someone had laid out on her bed to use and crawled under the sheets last night, seeking the comfort and safety that one so often feels when in bed. She lifted the tshirt and sniffed it, feeling suddenly embarrassed. It smelled like him. Suddenly the entire evening flashed back into her memory and she groaned. It was only a story, a legend, and she had overreacted. It had to be the darkness, the moon, the agitation of her heart from these overpowering feelings of attraction, she would attribute the blame to that. Having washed her face and brushed her hair back, she shook her head at herself. 

 

Imagine if at every museum she had visited she had taken the guides' sharing of legends so seriously and run away in terror from ghost stories of ancient lands and magical artifacts, why she'd be the laughingstock of the internet by now. Thank god no one had seen her reaction. Other than JB of course. Her cheeks flushed and she groaned again. How would she ever face him after the stunt she'd pulled last night. He was probably laughing every time he remembered, it was probably the best reaction he'd ever received for his tour. Her breath caught in as she remembered his gentle lingering kiss on her hand, and she wondered if he did that for every woman he gave a personal tour to. For of course this had to be open to tours for those interested, and the reason they kept seven attractive men hired to work there was because of the legends. That and they would probably do better caring for such extensive grounds. 

 

Returning to the windows, Eithne pulled aside the curtains and examined the floor to ceiling windows more closely. With a soft exclamation of surprise she realized that the windows unlocked vertically rather than horizontally, and she wondered if they slid open to the small circular terrace before her. Unfastening the latches she gave the windows a push, and just as she suspected they folded open. She gave a soft squeal of delight over the discovery and did a hop skip happy dance over the terrace to the rose bushes that completely circled and walled the terrace in. There was a white picket fence which separated her personal outdoor space from the portion of the gardens which she guessed was the walled bush maze portion that every old garden had to have. At any rate tall hedges rose on either side, and unable to contain her curiosity, she pushed open the small picket gate and commenced her wanderings. The grass was soft and dewy on her feet, not a stone nor stick did she see as she walked forward, until she decided it wasn't something she needed to worry about and ceased looking altogether. 

 

Hearing the sound of water Eithne turned in that direction and soon found herself walking alongside a beautiful stream, her feet treading softly on the embankment as she admired the flowing water. Up ahead she saw that the stream and the bushes took a sudden turn to the right, and as she approached the corner she heard the sounds of heavy breathing and what she assumed to be a man grunting out from struggling with a heavy object. Carefully she slid alongside the edge of the hedges and peered around the corner. 

 

Just across the stream, not ten feet away from her was a large oak tree with a long overhanging branch that an average male could grab hold of if he jumped, and just below the branch, stripped to the waist and wearing what appeared to be black traditional Korean baji, was he, performing some type of strenuous exercise that Eithne had never seen done before. Jumping upwards he'd grab the branch overhead, pull himself up effortlessly, then dropping to the ground he'd do something of a push up, but he pushed up with such power that he would end up standing upright, and squatting down he'd push himself into an upwards leap to then repeat the process. Eithne dared not move or make a sound, the scene before her was one too amazing to risk stopping. It was as she suspected, he was indeed a powerful man, and she'd be lying if she didn't admit to her heart beating faster as she watched his muscles flex and contort. Her breath caught in as he turned in her direction to kneel at the stream and splash water over his face, giving her a better view of his well contoured abs, pecs and biceps. She wondered how long he had been doing this exercise before she had come upon him. Shaking the water off and breathing heavily he turned back to the tree, and closing his eyes he began a series of stances, punches, kicks into the air with an invisible enemy that Eithne recognized as TaeKwonDo. 

Well. For a tour guide he certainly did his part to live up to the whole great moon warrior god legend things whatever-they-were aspect of his job. For sure she wasn't going to complain. It was at this moment of watching that she, having begun to fiddle with one of the branches of the hedge she used as her cover, snapped one of the twigs. In a flash he was standing there, the thumb of one of his hands on the pressure point of her neck, his other hand having pinned her arm behind her back, her torso leaned backwards to a state of imbalance that completely relied on his arm around her to keep her from falling, his fingers on pressure points of her wrist, one of his legs firmly wedged between and behind one of hers, effectively pinning her to himself and rendering her completely helpless. Stunned, and unsure how he could have appeared so suddenly, Eithne looked straight at the heaving well defined pecs dripping with sweat that were inches from her face, acutely aware of how his arm was wrapped around her as she slowly raised her eyes to look up at him.

 

For a moment, time was frozen once more, his eyes staring deep into hers, his heavy breathing being the only sound that broke the silence. Slowly, he released his hold on the pressure points and drew her up to an upright position, and took a step back as he bowed his head.

"Forgive me, my lady. I did not expect you." he said, his voice deep and sensual, raising his eyes to stare into hers with a look that caused her heart to tremble before dropping his eyes to take the rest of her in, a low growl emanating from his throat as he recognized the fact that she was wearing his clothes. She shook her head, her eyes dropping to look at the grass below.

 

"It's ok, I....I was just about to head back."

 

And with that, she turned to go, but found that her legs had forgotten how to walk, she was suddenly very dizzy, and stumbling forward she saw the world swirling into black as the feeling of free fall overwhelmed her senses. It passed as quickly as it came, and as she came back to her senses she found herself once more surrounded by JB's arms, but in contrast to moments ago, this time the hold was gentle, tender, clasping her against himself protectively, possessively. Lifting her head from where it was carefully cradled against his bare chest, she looked up into his eyes with a confused look, he returning her gaze with one full of guilt and concern. His hand brushed against her cheek, lightly, tenderly, then, without warning, he swept her up into his arms, bridal style, and turning, strode back towards the manor, holding her as effortlessly as if she were air. 

 

Instinctively she wrapped her arms around his bare shoulders, feeling a tremor run through his body and breath catching in his throat when she did so, his steps quickening as if he had been hit by a surge of electricity. She marveled at the bulging of his muscles, it took all her willpower not to run her hands across  his bare skin to feel for herself the steel wall of muscle that lay beneath. And then, again, the sudden wave of darkness overtook her. The last thing she remembered was her head drooping down to rest against his broad firm shoulders, and then everything went dark.


 

 

 

 

 

 



 

"Someone tell me whose great idea it was to give the lady a pair of my clothes without consulting me." JB's voice said sternly, as he strode into the general living room where the other boys were lounging around, munching on popcorn and flipping lazily through the TV channels. Mark raised his hand and pointed at Jackson.

 

"Hey," Jackson protested, his voice full of hurt betrayal. "It wasn't just my idea, we saw the way you've been looking at her. At any rate I dont have a death wish so I wasnt gonna give her anything of mine for you to smell me on her and murder me in my sleep."

 

JB gave an exasperated sigh as all the other boys nodded and spoke out their words of agreement, and he, turning suddenly with a growl and flashing eyes to lean his head against the wall, muttered a curse and punched it. There was a long moment of silence before JB turned back around to see the boys all staring at him.

 

"Gee boss, I'd've asked if I thought you'd get so worked up about it." Jackson said, his voice full of confused apprehension.

 

"I attacked her." JB said. The boys all furrowed their brows, exchanging looks of confusion.

 

"You what?" Jinyoung asked, seeming to not believe his ears. 

 

"Good news, she does carry magic." JB said grimly, dropping to the floor and burying his head into his hands. "Bad news, it's been doormat her whole life and I just triggered it."

 

Looks of horror crossed the faces of the boys as they comprehended finally what he had been saying.

 

"You attacked her?!" Bambam shrieked, jumping to his feet. "You oaf, what if she hadn't had any magic, you would've killed her!" JB made no response, only giving out a groan of deep guttural agony.

 

"Well, someone needs to take care of that." Jinyoung said, placing his popcorn on the coffee table and looking at Youngjae pointedly, who nodded.

 

"I know just the right potions to balance her magic with her physical body, but I'll need help in gathering some fresh herbs." Youngjae said, motioning to Yugeom, Jackson and Bambam. "If her magic has been passed down in a dormant state for several generations then it will take a particularly potent brew to bring balance, otherwise she will stay in a state of sleep for the rest of her life because of her physical body being unable to cope."

 

JB gave a groan of distress, his fingers running through his hair as he muttered under his breath, berating his own stupidity. 

 

"Calm down boss." Jackson said, pausing to give JB a firm slap on the shoulder as he passed on his way out with Youngjae and Bambam. "Between Mark being a doctor and Youngjae a potion maker, she'll be back in balance and full health in no time at all. Maybe it was all for the best that it happened that way."

 

"I'm going to make her a soup." Yugeom announced, his voice sounding almost indignant. "After what she's been through I think she'll need it." And he marched out, shaking his head and giving little huffs of riled irritation.

 

"Right, so. Want to tell us what happened then. What exactly do I need to look for in treating her." Mark asked, standing up to walk over and then sit on the floor against the wall next to JB.

 

"I didn't even know she was there." JB sighed, raising his head to look hauntedly at Mark and then Jinyoung, who also approached and sat on the floor opposite the other two. "I was outside training and practicing letting the power flow through my body when I heard a branch snap, and I had her twisted back and magic flowing from me into her pressure points before I realized who she was and backed off. She withstood the magic coursing through her for maybe a minute before her body shut down the first time. I thought I killed her. But she woke back up and was just dazed. I couldn't risk letting her go  off alone after infusing her with powers, so I started carrying her back. About halfway she lost consciousness again and is still laying on the bed where I put her as far as I know."

 

Mark sighed, giving a nod of understanding as he clapped his hand onto JB's shoulder and gave it a squeeze, before standing up and leaving the room without a word.

 

"She'll be fine Jaebum." Jinyoung said. "Pull yourself together, you have a full moon to prepare for. She's going to need you to be ready and be there for her when it comes."

 

JB gave a grunt of acknowledgement as Jinyoung gave him a firm squeeze on the shoulder, then left the room to help the others as needed.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eithne opened her eyes, her brows furrowed in confusion as she turned to see Mark sitting in a chair beside the bed, book in hand. Turning from his reading he smiled at her, closed the book, placed it on the nightstand, taking her wrist between the fingers of his one hand while the other hand brought out an old analog timepiece from his coat pocket as he then watched the seconds and counted her pulse.

"You're a doctor?" Eithne asked, surprised. Mark gave a low humming sound and a nod of affirmation, his eyes staying focused on his timepiece for several seconds longer before turning to her with a smile as he laid her hand gently down on the bed.

 

"Your pulse is back to normal. I'll call Yugyeom in, he made a soup for you after you fainted, it will help you gain your strength back. Do you remember what happened?"

 

Eithne's brows furrowed once more as she shook her. "What happened? Is something wrong with me?" Then glancing at the windows and realizing it was already dark out she asked in horror, "Have I been unconscious all day?"

 

"Jetlag, probably." Mark said cheerfully. "Probably the difference in air pressure too, combined with the stress of a new environment. You just need to eat some food to strengthen you and get plenty of rest. Oh, and drink this tea that Youngjae made for you too, it helps with balancing out internal hormones and such, puts your equilibrium back in place."

 

Eithne pulled herself up to a sitting position, leaning back against the headboard of the bed, and Mark, taking the mug of tea from the nightstand gave it to her. Her face wrinkled as she took a sip, throwing him a look of disappointment and disgust. Mark smiled.

 

"Not the best tasting thing in the world, but I assure you that Youngjae is a professional and proficient in his work with herbs, vitamins, medicines and minerals. His family have been traditional healers for generations. He can make the cures, I merely prescribe them. ”

 

Eithne nodded in understanding, forcing herself to take two more gulps before Mark took it from her gently. “That should be enough. Just a sip or two every few hours, you don't need more than that.” Mark said, smiling reassuringly as he placed it back on the nightstand. Eithne nodded as a soft knock sounded at the door. 

 

“Come in!” Mark called. “She’s awake.”

 

Bambam entered, hesitantly, carrying a tray of soup and bread, which he laid on Eithne’s lap.

 

“How are you feeling, any better?” he asked, looking from Eithne to Mark and back to Eithne again with an expression of worry, which turned to one of relief as both nodded with smiles to indicate that she was fine. The door moved slightly, and looking up Eithne saw a grim looking Jaebum standing just inside of the room, his hand still resting on the handle. She smiled at him shyly, dropping her gaze to the soup.

 

“I’m sorry to have worried you all. To be honest, I don't even remember where I fainted, was it very dramatic?” Eithne asked.

 

“Very,” Mark replied swiftly, as Bambam turned to give him a raised eyebrow look of surprise. “Right as you walked into the kitchen while we were making breakfast. You’re lucky Jaebum was there to catch you or you might have broken something on those tiles. Maybe even a concussion.”

 

Eithne sighed as a look of mortification crossed her face, not noticing how Bambam’s eyes had widened as he stared at Mark with a look of utter disbelief. Catching Bambam by the hand Mark dragged him out of the room saying, “Anyway there’s something I need to take care of and I need your help Bammy so come along, JB, sit yourself down in that chair sir and keep an eye on my patient for me please, thank you.” he said, smoothly pushing Bambam out of the bedroom, turning and pushing JB towards the chair next to Eithne, backing out of the room and shutting the door behind himself in one long coordinated motion that would have brought pride to any dance choreographer. 

 

“What the blazes was that.” hissed Bambam, as Mark covered his mouth and dragged him struggling quickly down the hall and away from the door where he might be overheard before releasing his hold, and earning himself a punch of protest to the shoulder from Bambam.

 

“Careful, she doesn't remember, that’s normal.” Mark said, rubbing his shoulder and wincing slightly. “Do you remember what happened when you were given your powers? No? Didn't think so, it’s rare that one remembers, only those with powerful magic can eventually recall pieces of it. So for the time being I am sticking with what she understands, she’s jetlagged, the air is different, hormone imbalance, etc, so you stick with that too until she tells us she remembers otherwise, got it?”

 

Bambam rolled his eyes, muttered a complaint under his breath and nodded.

 

“Let the others know, I need to check on something.” Mark called as Bambam turned and walked away, Bambam raising his hand with a thumbs up in acknowledgement.