Chapter 4 - The Powers That Be

Lady of the Breathnach Manor

 

Two days passed in which Eithne stayed mostly in bed, being fussed over continuously by six of the seven boys. JB rarely showed his face, appearing for only a moment or two at the door of her bedroom from time to time to silently give her a deep penetrating stare that caused her heart to pound and breath to catch, and then he’d disappear as quickly as he had appeared before Eithne could gather her wits enough to address him. She was troubled, flashes of memories came back to her, or were they only dreams? JB holding her, shirtless, sculpted like a Greek god, gazing into her very being, with unmistakable possessiveness and jealousy, passionate desire in the depths of his soul searing eyes. 

 

On the third day, perceiving that she was tired of her surroundings and insisting that she was not yet ready to trust her legs, Jackson offered to take her to the general living quarters, suggesting a few rounds of mario kart would be just the thing to ease her boredom, an idea received with great enthusiasm from the other entertainers keeping Eithne company. Eithne agreed, Jackson swept her up in his arms and bosteriously started down the hall with Mark, Yugyeom, Jinyoung, Youngjae and Bambam riotously following behind, pushing, shoving, playfully punching and yelling in protest at each other as they uproariously made their way through the manor. 

 

As they crossed the threshold of the hall into the main entryway where they would turn, Jackson froze suddenly, taking another step forward to keep his balance only because the boys behind him ran up against him pell mell, crying out in annoyance and protest at the sudden unannounced halt, a clamor that quickly faded into dead silence as they saw the reason for Jackson’s actions. 

 

Leaning against one of the pillars just to the side of the room was JB, a look of intense, fierce jealousy in his eyes, his lips pursing into a thin line, his eyes narrowing as he straightened and walked slowly towards the group, his flashing eyes never once breaking contact with Jackson’s.

 

“Boss.” Jackson said in acknowledgement, his voice faltering as JB came toe to toe and face to face with him, the only distance separating them being that created by Eithne between them.

 

 Without a word or breaking his fierce eye contact with Jackson, JB slipped his arms under Eithne and took her from Jackson’s arms. There was another long pause as Jackson slowly lowered his arms and sidled off to the side, JB’s relentless steely gaze following him until he had disappeared around the corner. Without a single word and avoiding his gaze, the rest of the boys slipped past and dashed off after Jackson, leaving Eithne alone with JB.


 

 






 

Jackson collapsed into a curled up whimpering heap next to the recliner, covering the top of his head with his hands as if he expected a sudden death blow. “He’s gonna kill me. Did you see his eyes. I’m dead. I’m so really actually dead.”

 

“Welp, if any of you actually were wondering before now, I’m pretty certain all doubt has been removed.” Mark said, picking up a game controller as he dropped onto the center of the couch. “She’s definitely his mate and imprinted on by him, so the rest of you lot avoid doing what Jackson did and you’ll be allowed to live.”

 

A loud dramatic groan rose from the corner where Jackson lay in a crumpled heap. “Just my luck that I’d cross the guy whose father was a god warrior and mother the most powerful sorceress on earth. He can kill me, bring me back to life and kill me again as many times as pleases with his infinite powers, and neither I nor anyone of you or anyone else, not even the gods themselves, can or will stop him cause I am but a mere descendant of a lesser god warrior. Should I just kill myself and spare him the trouble.”

 

Bambam laughed at the melodramatic words of his friend, grabbing one and then another game controller as he seated himself in the recliner next to the despondent Jackson, tossing him one of the two. “Just stay out of his sight for a day or so, he can't get rid of you cause it's your job to teach our future sons how to fight. JB doesnt have the skill or patience for teaching, so long as you keep your hands off his girl you’re safe. Now stop being a baby and play with us already, this game was your idea anyway.” 

 

Jackson gave an exaggerated moan, righted himself as he flipped the controller right way round and prepared to join in the video game with the others.

 

“Loser is in charge of after meal cleanups today.” Youngjae announced, the silence and doubled concentration on the game before them indicating the others nonverbal agreement to the bet.













 

“Think you can stand my lady?” His voice was low, husky, lips brushing against her ear as he spoke, sending shivers down her spine as she nodded slowly in response.

 

JB gently lowered her legs until she was standing with her two feet firmly on the ground, his arm encircling her back to steady her for a moment before taking a step back and bowing his head in a show of deference.

 

Eithne looked around, eyebrows furrowing. She knew this place, as if from a dream. The corner of the hedge, the stream, the tree. JB was looking at her closely, intently, as if waiting for the confusion to turn into recognition, and all at once it dawned on her, she remembered. She remembered everything. Turning to JB, her eyes locked onto his as a spark of anger lit a fire of indignation within her s.

 

“What did you do to me. Were you planning on taking advantage of me? Using pressure points to knock me unconscious.” she hissed, fists clenching at her sides as a sudden wind arose, swirling with hurricane force around the two of them, dark dangerously swirling clouds racing across the sky to block out the sun. 

 

Eithne seemed oblivious to the sudden change of weather, so intent was her focus on the man before her. He held her gaze, unwavering and silent, withstanding the force of the winds that threatened to knock him from his feet, then, slowly, bowing his head and closing his eyes, breathing a low heavy sigh, he knelt down on a knee before her in an act of submissive subservience. 

 

The winds slowly calmed to a strong breeze, but JB held his position, not daring to look up at the woman before him.

 

“Speak.” Eithne commanded, her voice firm and strong. JB felt a tremor run through his body, a sudden rush of attraction to this side of the woman ordering him to speak, this woman, who in such a short space of time, already commanded his heart.

 

“My lady, I had no intentions or ill will towards you. I did not recognize your presence and reacted as I would have with any other intruder.” JB spoke, pausing for a brief moment before continuing. 

 

“I would never take advantage of you my lady.” he said, raising his eyes to stare passionately into hers as he spoke the last sentence, his husky voice deepening. Eyes locked with hers, he stood slowly, and, taking a step towards her, took her hand into his. With unwavering gaze, he lifted her hand to his lips, pressing a slow, gentle, lingering kiss to her soft skin, eyes fixed on hers as an aura of fierce protectiveness emanated from the depths of his very being.

 

She believed him. His explanation. It would never happen again, and if there was anything she was convinced of it was that he was willing to put his life on the line to protect her. It all felt so right, destined. Raising her other hand, she cupped the side of his face gently, her thumb gently caressing his cheek. His eyes fluttered closed, his face turning to press softly against her palm in a gentle nuzzle. There was a long pause before Eithne finally dropped her hand and he turned his intense eyes back onto hers. Keeping his eyes firmly locked on hers, his right hand made a sharp upwards and sideways motion, and suddenly the dark clouds covering the sky were gone, dissipated. Eithne’s eyes widened, she choked back any sounds of fear as she slowly started backing away, unable to comprehend what she had just seen. Eyes still locked onto hers, JB took a step towards her with every step that she took back.

 

“Who are you.” she whispered, voice shaking. “How did you do that.”

 

His arms swept around in a circular motion, and Eithne suddenly found herself in a circular enclosure, surrounded by tall imposing hedges with no exits, no place to retreat. She pressed her back up against the wall of greenery behind herself, her eyes searching his. He stepped closer, returning her gaze with eyes that had changed to ones of silver blue, then slowly faded back to dark brown.

 

“Who do you think I am my lady.” he breathed, his deep voice barely above a whisper.

 

“But. It’s not possible. Those stories were only legends.” she faltered, dropping her gaze in confusion.

 

“My lady, I merely cleared the clouds which were created by you. Is such a power so astonishing to one who can control the skies, summon wind and clouds at will as you can, my lady?” he asked softly, his left wrist making a sharp sweeping motion into a fist then downward, his right arm encircling her waist as the hedges supporting her disappeared. He held her, supporting her weight, his face nearly touching hers as he stared down into her eyes, electricity surging through and between them as her powers awakened fully and responded to his touch, until he finally released her gently, taking a step back and smiling softly.

 

“My lady, you have great powers. You don't need to fear it, it has been passed down to you from your ancestress, a goddess of the skies. With time and training you will learn how to control, summon, use the magic of the gods to enable good in the world and punish evil.”

 

For a moment JB thought she would turn and run from him as she had in the days before, but she steadied herself, took a deep breath, and replied calmly, “Part of me is saying that this is impossible and ridiculous. The other part knows you are telling me the truth, mostly because I can't deny what just happened. I only have one request.”

 

“Name it, my lady.” JB answered softly.

 

“I wish to go into town, explore it, check books on the genealogy and local myths from the library, do some shopping and check with the airline if my luggage has been found and forwarded yet. I would like to have one day of being normal before I begin this strange new life.”

 

JB smiled gently and nodded, offering her his arm. “My lady, you have no need to request anything of me, your slightest wish is my command.”

 

She smiled at him, taking his arm and squeezing it gently, his eyes darkening and a half smile coming to his lips as he flexed his biceps in response to her squeeze, her low hum of appreciation causing him to stand all the taller and straighter, to walk with a firmer, manlier step as he escorted her back to the manor.