Chapter 6: Soyeon

Lost Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jeon Soyeon is a very weak kid growing up. She frequents the hospital after being diagnosed with leukemia. She had one passion though, music. Music is what made her survive her empty and lonely life. She attended university despite having to miss class often for treatment and check-ups. This is how she met Seo Soojin.  

“Hey, I’m Seo Soojin.”

“Jeon Soyeon.”

Soyeon’s smile is as bright as the rising sun. The twinkle in her eyes couldn’t be missed. Her will is strong despite her weak and deteriorating health. 

“Leukemia huh?” 

Soyeon’s smile softened but it didn’t vanish.

“Yeah.”

“For how long now?”

“I was diagnosed when I was 8.”

Soojin pauses, amazed by the girl’s will to fight for her life.

“You love your life so much?”

“Doesn’t everyone?”

Soojin grimaces. She loathes the life she lives. The unending cycle of feeding and surviving. Day and night, all she does is the same.

“I don’t know.”

Soyeon shrugs.

“Some people say they don’t want to live anymore but it takes a glimpse of death before it all changes.”

Soojin smiles. The girl has a point.

“Well, what are you willing to give up for your life to be better and completely be free from your illness?”

There was silence. Soojin can see the look in Soyeon’s eyes. To see the girl fighting with her own mind, baffles her. Humans are another kind of peculiar creature.

“I don’t know. Fighting is hard but the doctor said I’ll get better.”

Soojin knows that’s not the truth but she lets the girl believe what she wants to believe in.

“Well if the day that you change your mind comes, call for my name. No matter when or where. I’ll bring a friend of mine to help you out.”

The day did come. On a chilly afternoon, Soyeon is lying on her bed. The doctor said 3 months ago she only has 6 months to live but it seems shorter. She feels like she’s losing her fight but she doesn’t want to. 

A thought comes to her mind and she calls for the name that’s been etched on it.

“Seo Soojin.”

Soyeon waited but nothing came. She feels stupid for believing that her friend would suddenly come and help her. Slowly, her eyes felt heavy from all the medication she’s been taking to help prolong her life. She succumbs to slumber within seconds.

Darkness swallowed Soyeon. It felt cold. Her fingertips are freezing. She searches for any source of heat and she sees a purple flame. She ran to it but the fire had no heat. 

“Soyeon.”

Soyeon looks up and sees her friend in a red fitting dress. Soojin’s eyes are dark and empty. The wicked smile on her face looked terrifying but she felt no fear.

“Soojin, why am I here?”

“You called me.”

Soyeon pauses and remembers that she indeed called her.

“I… I need your help.”

Soojin’s smile widens. Soyeon feels a colder presence behind her. She looks back and sees nothing but black smoke. 

“My master is here.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter