Chapter 3 - Promises

Snow In Summer

Sehun woke up by the sound of his attendants knocking the door. He looks at the clock right next to his wardrobe. It points to 7:30, his class begins at ten so why the hell his maid wake him up this early? He groaned he tries to ignore them and snuck under the bed sheet again. But then they're more knocking on the door, they keep doing that for about thirty seconds and there's a voice calling his name. But it’s not just anybody's voice.

 

He wonders if he's being delusional or it is happening. The moment his name being called again he knows it really is real. He shoots his eyes wide open and quickly opens the blanket. He stormed out the bed and turns the doorknob. “Wow, I didn’t realize you would open the door so quickly. You know everybody in this house saying you’re like a dead person when you sleep." How Sehun respond? He just stares at the boy with confusion.

 

The boy in front of him sort of sees the expression on Sehun's face. "What?" He demanded. Checking the reality, Sehun tries to find the right words to ask. The boy was wearing a slim black jacket with his hand in his simple gray jeans. But he still looked hot though. "Luhan. What are you doing here?" He asks cautiously to the other boy. "You didn't know? Your father invited me. He said we can eat breakfast together. I hope you don't mind" Luhan pressed his lips together while he waits Sehun respond. Luhan likes being around Sehun well who doesn't? So when Sehun’s father asked him, of course, he'd said yes. Sehun shook his head gently and give Luhan a warm smile. "Nope. I'd love that." Luhan's dark brown eyes light up instantly. His big smile showing Sehun that he's excited.

 

"I should probably take a shower. Why don't you wait for me downstairs? "

 

"Alright but hurry up will you? I’m hungry." Sehun chuckled when Luhan gives him a puppy face with his below lip stuck out a bit. He's adorable. "Sure doll face" And with that Luhan turn and walk happily downstairs.

 

Why would my father invite Luhan in the first place anyway? To eat? I don't think so. Luhan is the first outside person in the house.

 

Although it’s only been hours since they first met, Sehun likes the way Luhan makes the whole room light up whenever he's around. And his sparkly eyes make the night less… Lonelier... Make a hope in this house, that even after what happened, there's still something good left.

 

It took a couple of minutes before Sehun eats with them. Luhan eats his roasted beef vegetable not noticing the look that Sehun's father gives, Sehun faking coughed so he can buy his father's attention. "What's the problem? Master?" His father narrowed his eyes and falling right into Sehun's. He can see that his father is pissed by the way he behaves, but he couldn’t even more careless. "You know my son after the death of your mother..." the glare from Sehun stops his father. He hates this. With Luhan around, of course, he needs to maintain the good boy image so he can't be mad about anything that his father said. Keeping the grip of himself, he curled his hand into a fist and say calmly to his father.

 

"Please don't talk about it" his voice laced with anger. The old man snorted at his son's immature behavior. He raised his eyebrows; pretend that he had no clue about the situation. He leered at Luhan, the boy just keeps eating unaffected with the room atmosphere. The sounds of nails hitting the dining table one by one bring his eyes back to Sehun. His son gives him the why-the-hell-you-doing-this look. And the father of one son smirked wickedly, soon Sehun knows he's up to no good.

 

Sehun pov

 

The doll boy thanked my father for the meal. I don’t know how the two of them already that close to each other, the way my father looks at him makes me sick. There’s love in his eyes, and his body gestures somehow show ... Luhan is his property. That is disgusting. But on the other hand, Luhan seems oblivious, he returns every devilish smirk my father give with his angelic smile. Good god... Sunshine brightly when it happens. The brilliance can’t be described by words, that kid is too kind for his own sake.

 

I already in my black slim porch when Luhan finally out of that devil house. I horn three times and drive forward near the boy. "Hop in!” I shouted from the opened car window. He looks thrilled for a second but then there’s doubt on his face line. "Come on. We're going to the same place anyway" I smiled to assure him. I think it works though; he approaches my car, opens then closes the car door. I press the gas pedal and we start moving.

 

I turn on some random song on the CD player. On our way Luhan keeps humming to the songs, there's no conversation at all. He looked outside the window whiles his nails taping onto his thigh. It’s a perfect view when the sun shines his porcelain doll face and the wind moves his hair like he's in a slow-motion. His cheek is round like a puppy, it’s cute. Too cute for a boy.

 

"I don’t mind you admiring my beauty but I think you should pay more attention to the road," Luhan said making me startled and turn my head. I can see him smile from the corner of my eyes. Ugh, why am I such an idiot? Wait, it’s not wrong to stare at a view right? No wonder everyone said he's a ‘goddess’, you can’t possibly have enough of him.

 

Suddenly I remember the scene this morning. My dad treats Luhan like his own son. Why?

 

"Hey um... Can you tell me how you and my dad already been that close? It’s just a rare thing to see you know. I thought all of his friends are minions." Luhan’s laugh bursting out of nowhere. "Minions? I knew him for quite some time now. Our parents is really close, they are in a relationship where they have a meal together and play golf when they have spare time. And at that time I often come along. They're so nice to me. I love being near them, so every time my parents are going out to see yours, I practically beg to go with them." "Oh really? Whoa, I don’t know my dad had an actual friend." He scoffed, rolling his eyes a bit before staring into mine while he smiles. God, I’m melting. After that, there is only silence between us. And seconds later we pass the campus gate.

 

I parked my car on the empty spot near a Sakura tree. The flowers bloomed beautifully, the light red color shines the surrounding, and sadly there won’t be any more soon. I enjoy sitting under the tree, press my back to the ground and see the sky, whether it is day or night. But of course, there will be a disturbing situation when the female collages suddenly come and ask me to take a picture together or sign their belongings or even just to talk to me when I barely know them. I’m not an artist so why they can’t stop bothering me and let me breathe?

 

I shut the engine down, the doors open almost at the same time, and Luhan got out of the car. We were walking towards the main building when a husky voice interrupts "Hey beautiful!" I glanced over my shoulder to see who it is, the figure who I love standing there. I raced toward him spreading my arms and pull him into a hug. He always giggles whenever I did this. He thinks I’m like an over-energetic kid but weirdly he seems to find this amusing. He tightens the hug and ruffles my hair a little. The second we pull away I see warmness in his eyes, sweetness in his smile and compassion in his body gestures. How can I ever get enough of you? Every time I’m close to him, it feels like we are in our little own world, which I loved. It puts my mind at ease as if I was in my fairy tale, Jongin here as prince charming and I have an actual happily ever after.

 

Sadly I’m back to reality when someone-well its Luhan- coughed awkwardly behind me. Damn it I totally forgot. I scratch my head in embarrassment while I’m facing him who has a big grin on his face publishing to the world that he’s curious with the guy beside me. I pick up the scratch pride and clear my throat for removing the awkward situation. "Uh... This is Jongin. He’s my um... Boyfriend" I introduce my lover to him as Jongin bow, soon doll face copied him. "You look so cute. Looks like you are younger than us? 18 perhaps?" Jongin makes the decision that he’s 18, well I think that he’s 17 not much different though. By the way, he looks at anyone who has a good pair of eyes would tell the same.

 

I don’t know if he feels flattered or he’s just plain crazy because Luhan is now chuckled lightly. Confused by the way he act I look confused to Jongin but he only give me the I-don’t-know look. What Luhan says is answering the question I just had “I’m 21 this year. You can stop complimenting me now. I’ll accept you as my friend anyway”. "What!?" I blurted put completely showing my disbelief despite the words I just hear. Don't get me wrong it’s not like I have an issue about that. It’s just making me feel a little... Old. Come on, a boy I thought he's just a kid because his look is so damn fine turn out to be older than me, it’s making me feel less attractive. It also mesmerized me; his look doesn't show his true age, he can make a 21 years old guy to a senior high school student. Who doesn't want that? I traced carefully from his head to toe, captive by the way he lights the spot. Whoa... Angels do exist.

 

"Yes I’m actually older than you guys so stop treating like a kid okay" Jongin and I can only nod. When I look at the school big clock I notice that my lesson will start in five minutes, I hurriedly go, Luhan and Jongin did the same we all raced over to our own lesson.

-

 

After all of my lesson end, I step out of the main building and go to the little park in front of the cafeteria and sit at the nearby fountain. The bottom of the sun already touching the horizon hazed of blue-purple red intertwined around it. Slowly every soul leaves the university until there's only me and two other boys at the park. I take my iPod from my bag and put it on shuffle. I was about to leave when I see Luhan shadow. Should I call him or not? Although it feels cozy being with him but some moments I just felt awkward, I barely know him well except for his age which I guess he lies about. While I debate with myself, Luhan himself already makes his way to me.

 

"Hey I was looking for you; you told me that we can start your tutoring today. Did you forget?” Crap. How can I possibly forget? Now, what to do? "Of course not," I said while I look at the ground, scratching my hair and put on my big grin. "Can we do this at your house? It’s not going to be possible here. Besides we can feel more comfortable." He said. "Sounds good. Come on let's go“. I accepted his offer. Why? No ing idea. Before we reach my car I text Jongin I’m going home and help Luhan with his language, I haven't see Jongin from this morning, usually, he will be there at the park waiting for me then we will goof around or just sharing the sunset time since he's not there I'll just text him.

-

 

As I parked my car, I noticed there is a silver mini limo in front of my house, I wonder if I have a guest. I open the front door and see a maid rushed over me. "Everybody has been waiting for you and young master Luhan in the dining room. " Me and Luhan? What for? With the question stuck in my head, Luhan and I walk toward the dining room.

 

When I step in, there are a man and a woman who I can't recognize, and my father. The dining table is full of food, there are crab, shrimps, steak, and wine, well you named it I bet they all here. We only have this kind of situation when dad has an important thing to discuss with his business thing. But if there really is, why the hell he involved me and doll face? I take a seat beside my father and Luhan beside me while the strangers are in front of us.

 

"Dad mom what are you doing here?" I look at Luhan with wide eyes not trying to cover my shock. They are his parents? So this is the famous Xi family? Even though I feel flattered they all here, the same question which Luhan asked swim in my head. The more I look at them I can see their similarity; Luhan got his father's nose and his mother's eyes. It’s beautiful by the way. Before I take another minute to drown in my confusion I stood up to bow to them and sit again. They both smile in response.

 

"Sehun Luhan we need to discuss your future" my dad finally opens his mouth. Wait, my future? What is that supposed to mean? I turned my head facing Luhan, he's only staring at the floor, but the moment his eyes meet mine I can't see the lost look I’m trying to find. It’s like he knew what going on then he quickly looks away. "I’m sorry but I don't quite understand. Is it about my education?" I decide to ask away. They chuckled immediately, and I can see that Luhan’s parents slowly whisper to one another.

 

"No Sehun... It’s about your marriage“ Luhan’s mom calmly inform me. "What?! I have a boyfriend!" I yelled. What the hell is this? I’m totally panic now, I got home for tutoring Luhan and now I found this? Are they completely insane? He’s only 21 for god sake, there’s so much I want to do before I’m tied up in commitment, in marriage, there are only 2 people, the first is the one who always right and the other is a husband. I doubt I’ll be the one who's right all the time, I don’t even have a job, but I’m positive that there’s more than enough at the bank. Wait why am I buying this? Is this even real?

 

"With whom?" I ask again now lowering my tone the fact that they didn’t care about my relationship pissed me off. I can’t believe my dad, he’s not even going to say anything about it, and he’s not telling me about mom death he’s not telling me about this , heck what can he do? Ruining my life that’s for sure. Can I just choke him to death? Will I go to prison? Well, I watch NCIS and CSI I can make his death looks like an accident.

 

As much as I want it to happen unfortunately I clear the thought away. “With Luhan of course," my mind goes blank as Luhan’s father answers my question. Oh my god. "He’s just a kid!" No offense I like Luhan he's ... Well pretty, but I don't even know that much to marry him. He's Chinese, gorgeous, smart, 21 and that's all. Why is Luhan not saying anything about this? He seems so calm, absorbing every word with no emotion. His eyes not leaving the floor, and hands intertwined. He should act like me, freaking out I mean.

 

As second pass it’s like there's a light bulb in my head with the light on. "You knew all along" my words making Luhan’s eyes dart into mine. He’s not refusing nor denying, so I guess its right. He knew. Why he didn’t tell me? He knows I’m with Jongin, why is he doing this?

 

-

 

I open my eyes the next morning. Yesterday at dinner they say something about me having an engagement party I think its next week. I can’t say anything anymore. Therefore I excuse myself and leave them. This is getting ridiculous, my own marriage has to be arranged by monsters? What am I going to do? What if Jongin hears this? What if we break up? What if he'll grow to hate me? What if we never have the chance to fulfill our promises?

 

"Get up now!" My dad comes stormed in my room. I immediately do what he said. Why is he mad at me? I’m the one who should be. “What do you think you're doing?!" I said through my clench teeth. "You’re the one who talks young man! What’s with you yesterday? Leave the place when we are still discussing?”. I can hear the maids rushing to my bedroom door, maybe listening to our conversation, I couldn’t care less.

 

”So you want me to accept it with a smile on my face? I think you eat the wrong medicine, old man. You didn’t even tell me beforehand anything about this !" As if I can see a fire in his eyes I know he’s getting furious.

 

“Your mother is the one responsible for telling you! You want to blame her?! Go ahead! You want to disobey her?! Feel free to do it! Do you think she'll be happy knowing her only child acting like a brat? Do you?! Don’t you dare put the blame on me! This is your mother’s idea! You don’t ing know anything so stop acting like one! Think about how you always want to fulfill her dream, her dream is seeing you get married to that kid! Do you think she loves you? No! She’s just another crazy woman who gets obsessed with money! She wants you to marry him so there’ll be more fortunate in this family, she will never get enough. But if you really love her you’ll try to make her proud! Not the other way around!" After he slams the door behind him, he left me.

 

Mom... I can’t... Dad is lying, right? I look to the picture on the wall, there's mom and me in Paris when we were on a holiday. She loves me right? So why is this all happening? Why do you leave me? I grab the picture and intended to toss it to the trash bin, but I stop. The faded picture that I almost threw away. It hurts too much so I can’t look at it now. Tightly holding onto the world that getting colder, I get a grip of myself.