Chapter 7 - Longing

Snow In Summer

Empty. Somehow the crowded world in my eyes became so empty. I couldn’t see anything; my other senses are not exactly in better shape either. There’s no wind, which is very hard to believe, remembering the last time I check I was on the ground outside of my house.

 

My fingers twitch a little, eager to feel the dirt underneath me, but surprisingly when I feel sheet instead. Not being able to extend any further I open my eyes slowly to take a glimpse of what’s happening. I begin to doubt whether I really am dead or it’s just my mind playing tricks because there’s not much of a difference.

 

If my eyes were open, I believe the room is dark. Not even a dim light to brighten up the place, it’s just complete darkness.

 

Sharping my hearing, I try to catch a sound proving I was still alive. Sadly I don’t. My pain is not here anymore; in fact, I can’t feel anything. I feel numb. I let out a Hugh breath, gradually sitting up. I collapsed after only succeeding in lifting my head.

 

Giving up, I turn my head on the other side. The moonlight is kissing the closed curtain. Producing a dim green color all around it. I was alive after all. The gap between the two curtains display a big tree outside, its branches were dancing along with the wind.

 

A luminous light from the hallway causes me to blink rapidly as I try to adjust my eyes. Squinting my eyes a little, I can see a shadow from the open threshold. Reality struck me hard. How can I forget about Jongdae and the others? I curse repeatedly in my mind at how stupid I can be sometimes. Please, I hope they’re alright.

 

“Oh my god! You’re awake!” The girly voice greeted me. It sounds like Agnes. Am I at my house? “Wait I need to call the doctor” her feet carried her across the room and out in less than five seconds.

 

I try sitting up again, this time with many groans and whimpered, I succeeded. But I feel something on my body, something tight is being wrapped. I pulled the hem of my shirt up to see a bandage all over my body. What shocked me is the blood cover its places here and there. However, I don’t recall I’m bleeding. I thought it’s only my ribs cracked, and some bruises, I don’t remember anything about bleeding.

 

Many footsteps can be heard outside of the door. They almost sound like they want to outrun each other.

 

Suddenly the door slammed open to reveal several people. Once one of the guys’ switches on the light I can see Agnes, Jongdae, and other 2 guys dressed in white buttoned-up shirt and white pants. One carrying a black bag-look like a suitcase and the other carry a stethoscope around his neck.

 

Their eyes are going to fall out soon from the way they looked at me, only Jongdae who has the sense to actually look decent and less scary. True, I can see happiness from them but when 4 people keep staring at you who wouldn’t feel self-conscious?

 

“See? See? I told you he’s awake!” Agnes’s told them while she’s jumping up and down for a second as she clapped her hands together.

 

Guessing the frozen man come back to their right mind, they walk towards me. The guy who was holding the bag is now scrunching his eyebrows and confusion is written clearly on his face. What? Am I being alive is some of a miracle? Well, excuse me if want to stay longer to linger at my messed up world.

 

I rolled my eyes, realizing he will keep that expression a little longer than I expected. When I did, I can say that I’m positively at the house, but not in my bedroom. Contrarily I’m in one of the guest rooms. Weird, why am I even here? Better yet why am I in this house? I’m sure father forbids me to.

 

Someone flicks a finger in front of me, turning my head to see the culprit, I send Jongdae a glare. He chuckled a little then his eyes softened. “I’m surprised to see you awake,” he said casually.

 

“Yeah, you’re not the only one” I replied as my eyes glance to the one particular before.

 

He follows my eyes and sees where they looking at. His chuckled going in my ear again. I squint my eyes at him and make him stop and hide it with a cough.

 

“Don’t get the message wrong. I’m saying we expect you to open your eyes sooner than this, you’re supposed to be awake two days earlier.” 

 

“Is there something wrong with me? Why is there blood on my bandage?”

 

“Ah... When your dad kicks you insistently, your body hits the sharp rocks on the ground. So it makes a bloody scratch all over it.” He reaches for my shirt and pulls it up a bit. Inspecting the cut. He pursed his forehead like he’s in deep thought. “The wounds should be closed by now actually but your body is exhausted, it will take a little bit longer for it to be healed completely.”

 

He then tells the others to take a step back and he climbs to the bed beside me. He stands by his knee, opening my cover until it reaches my thigh and tucked it. Grab my shirt again but now he intended to fully remove it.

 

I lean over a little to him, letting him release my clothes. Raising my arms, I can see Agnes blushing. She play with her fingers while her eyes looking everywhere but me. Biting her lips, I notice her face getting redder by the second.

 

Is it wrong for staring at her cuteness? True, Agnes is lovely. With her long straight brown hair that goes to her waist, she looks absolutely pretty and adds to the slender figure, big blue eyes, and long eyelashes. But I look at her as my sister nothing in a special kind away. Besides, she’s nothing compared to Sehun.

 

I look at her again, but this time her eyes not on mine. The shocked face she makes, forcing me to follow her gaze. I look down at when Jongdae had finished removing the bandage.

 

I take a sharp breath when I spot the scars on my body. Little scrapes decorate my skin, a few of them look a little deep than the others. I hiss instantly, looking at the dried blood. How can’t I feel it?

 

I run my fingertips to touch the wound. Every finger for every scar.

 

Jongdae told me to lift my hand when he takes a bottle, cotton, and a new pair bandage from the white suitcase his friend carried. I obey him. I observe him pouring alcohol into the cotton and spread it over my scars. He tossed the used cotton away, and he opens the folded bandage. Slowly he turns it over my back to my chest and stomach until it has been covered toughly.

 

He helps me put my shirt back and slowly crosses his legs on my bed.

 

“So... How long was I out?” I asked no one in particular. Eyeing everyone in the room. I raised my eyebrows as I kept waiting.

 

“Just a couple of days” Jongdae answers shrugging. I fixed my eyes on him, giving him the idea that I need him to be more specific. “It’s no big deal really. Just four days”

 

My eyes widened for a second. How the hell can I sleep for so long? Oh heaven. Father will kill me for those days for not being at school. I have a test coming up, ugh, I’m screwed. And the assignments, I bet there are tons of it. I sigh frustrated, running a hand through my bed hair.

 

I don’t even get that much time to prepare before I take the company, and now look at what I’m doing laying on bed doing nothing for days. My Korean still , I constantly mispronouncing a bunch of words. I can’t lead a meeting like this. People will surely start gossiping around about my incompetence. I need all to be perfect, so they can have faith in me.

 

I must find a new tutor. Since I think being around him will no longer be possible, so I must find a new one immediately. Oh, how I wish I’ve got a lucky trait, finding a tutor in middle of the semester is hard. When Mr. Wu told me he gave me one, my face was literally beaming with blessedness. And now I must search again.

 

“I know what you are thinking Luhan. Don’t stress yourself with school stuff. A few days won’t cost your life” Jongdae calmly said to me. But little did he know that it could cost my life considering what kind of house I'm in.

 

I roll my eyes at him, leaning back on the pillow and kicking him off my bed in the process. He reaches the floor with a thump. Once he’s back on his feet, he glares at me, trying to make me felt sorry. Oh please.

 

Agnes giggled lightly at the scene. She poked my hand, and I look at her questioningly. She fishes out my phone from her pocket and places it on my palm. I open the lock screen and notice I have 4 messages. Jeez, I’ve been missing for four days and this is all I got?

 

Looking through the ID, my shoulder slump when Sehun is not one of them. Well, what do I expect, he better off without me.

 

I was about to delete all the text, but two names caught my attention. I received the text yesterday, I read the first one.

 

‘Hey, Lu. Trust me when I say I already told him this is a bad idea. We all know your father will try to castrate us if we come. But he keeps bugging me too. So yeah... I told him yes. Text me your address as soon as you get this okay?’ What the-? What is he babbling about?

 

I hurriedly read the second one hoping it can be a bit more make sense, ‘Luge! Guess what I will be visiting you soon. Please tell me you miss us because when we arrive you’ll be busy hanging with us when we come! Oh and please buy a lot of snacks!’

 

I text them, my reply saying I have no idea what are they talking about. Slow footsteps driving off, I lookup. The two creepy guys reaching for my doors and out of my rooms. Jongdae some to pick up his glasses on my bed, and put it on. Circling around the bed, he gets in front of the mirror and fixes his hair. Taking off his glasses, he cleans his lenses with his handkerchief and put it back on.

 

He turns at me. Reaching out in his pocket, he gives me a bottle of medicine. I look at it for a while, when I realize what kind of medicine this is. I’ve been given this for as long I can remember. I intend to thank him before my phone beeps. I quickly put the medicine on my small table beside the bed and read the message.

 

‘God, Lu. You still are slow. We’re going to Korea to come and visit you. We’ll come on Sunday’

 

I screamed loudly. Startling the two as they take a step back. No! Please no! I groaned loudly and throwing my phone on the bed. My day keeps getting worse.

 

Agnes is the farthest from me, she jogged over and questioned me if I’m in pain. Jongdae held his hand out to touch me. Gazing out fully on my body, he presses on a few spots on my chest, tries to figure out what’s happening.

 

Jongdae yells out a ‘Sam’ and seconds later the creepy man is back in my room. He seemed panicked then he runs at full speed to me. He literally jumps to my bed, attempting to get close to me. My bed became a mess, Jongdae opens his bag and begin taking out a stethoscope, hypodermic needle,  and other things. I sighed. Before things can be weirder I open my mouth to ask them.

 

“What day is today?”

 

Everybody freezes and looks at me confused.

 

“Are you okay? What’s with the scream?” Grabbing my elbow, Jongdae asked, while he tries to read me. By this Sam crawl out of my bed, and stood beside Agnes.

 

“It’s Tuesday. Why? Are you okay?” A new voice asked me, wow. Sam’s voice is totally different from his look. His voice is soft but at the same time, there’s a tint of huskiness in there. Now that I can fully get my attention on him, I can see his sharp nose, his dull brown eyes, rusty blonde hair. With doctor coat on him, making him even more good-looking.

 

I think he may have noticed me staring whilst he clear his throat. Feeling the warmth on my cheeks, I smiled sheepishly and tear out my gaze. “I-I’m fine.” I stuttered over my words. Gosh, this is so embarrassing. “Can I rest now?” My voice is low, suddenly feeling massively sleepy.

 

“Sure. But remember, when you start feeling pain, you must tell us.” Jongdae’s voice is stern, he makes sure I understand. I can see the worry in his eyes. I gave him a small smile and a little nod.

 

Surely I begin to watch them getting out. Agnes pulls the cover-up over my belly and folded the tip. She turns off the light from the nightstand. And begin walking out as well.

 

I roll over to my left and look throughout the window. They’ll be here soon. I let out a sigh, feeling stress coming over. I need to get rest as much as I can before they come. I shut my eyes tiredly and begin counting to one hundred until sleep invite me.