Unnecessary Question

Perfect Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I'm not an expert in dental field and has no much knowledge about dentistry, whatever procedures or activities done inside the dental clinic of this story are just based on what I've once heard or experienced during my visits, or based on my researches.

 

 

3

 

 

             Looking back and forth from her phone to the prescription note given to her during her first visit to the dental clinic, Yujin is contemplating whether to call or just send a message. She already can feel a little nervous just by thinking of what to say.

 

 

But it is not because of what you are thinking, it is just because of her aching gums and her high body temperature which she thought, are probably connected. It has been days since her gums started giving her pain and today, she has to excuse herself from their boss due to her fever.

 

 

"What should I say?"  Yujin questioned herself, still looking at her phone and to the prescription note wile her hand is caressing the cheek that is also swollen due to it.

 

 

"I should call Wonyoung first."

 

 

She thought, and quickly did. It is currently past three in the afternoon, she's assuming that the friend is on a coffee break by this time, which, is right.  "Hey? Still alive?"  Was the first thing Wonyoung asked, making Yujin click her tongue.

 

 

"If it's still your gums, then I'm suggesting you to go to the dental clinic already."  Yujin heard, and it weirdly gave her an amount of enlightenment.

 

 

"Should I? Now?"

 

 

"I can hear flapping wings of some kind of butterflies, it must be from your stomach."  Wonyoung laughed, as if her friend is not in a state of 'we should be concerned'.

 

 

"I hate you, you don't act like a real friend."  Yujin complained, though, she doesn't dislike it that much. Wonyoung's teasing might be out of control at times, but it's fun and she had to admit, quite thrilling.

 

 

"Come on, fake friends won't know who your crush is without you telling them. But about the serious matter, I'm going out early, do you want me to drive you there? You don't sound really good."  Yujin doesn't want to bother her friend, but her fever might cause something more concerning if she'll go on her own.

 

 

"Yeah, thank you."  She heard Wonyoung saying 'wait for me' before ending the call, and as the call ends, Yujin stood from her bed which caused for her to feel a little dizzy, yet regardless, she still went to her bathroom and cleaned herself up, brushed her teeth and groomed.

 

 

"Putting a light make up on really makes you seem not sick."  She thought, putting a pinkish red tone of blush on her cheeks.

 

 

She was able to finish grooming herself and dressing up for just in thirty minutes, and Wonyoung came not so long after that.

 

 

 

 

"Yujin-ah!"  Without even knocking, Wonyoung just entered and yelled for the owner of the condominium's name.

 

 

"I'm here."  Wonyoung stopped on her tracks upon seeing the latter, surprise was drawn on her face.

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

"I get it that we're going to meet your crush, but..."

 

 

"Why don't you seem sick at all? All dressed up like you're going on a simple date, wearing a make up properly, like, Yujin... are we going there because of your gum or what?"  Wonyoung earned a sigh from the sick, she's at teasing her again.

 

 

But to make Wonyoung funny, Yujin is just wearing a blouse and jeans, with a coat on and a pair of rubber shoes, which is not really an ideal fashion for a date.

 

 

"Whatever, let's just go."

 

 

 

 

When the two reached the dental clinic, again, Yujin felt like not going. The feeling is almost the same as her first visit, she's nervous, and not sure of coming in. But of course, there's Wonyoung to push her inside.

 

 

"Let's go."

 

 

Yujin followed, her steps are getting heavier by seconds, but it confused them when...

 

 

"No patients today? You're not close, are you?"  Wonyoung and Yujin just stood behind her, scanning the empty steal benches and the doors to the other clinics.

 

 

"The director announced to close early today so we cut the line earlier than usual, do you have an appointment?"  The question shocked Yujin, and more when Wonyoung looked at her to ask...

 

 

"Did you set an appointment?"

 

 

"I-I forgot."  Wonyoung wanted to get irritated, but the disappointed look on Yujin's face made her want to tease the sick one, but for the serious matter...

 

 

"You won't accept anyone anymore for today, will you? You've cut the line already."  Wonyoung asked. Though it is already evident, she still hoped that the answer is what they want to hear.

 

 

"We can't, but I can list you for tom-..."

 

 

"What is it?"

 

 

The world stopped, well, only Yujin's world.

 

 

"Doctor Kim."  The employee bowed, and Minjoo, being the down to earth that she is, slightly bowed as well.

 

 

"We've cut the line earlier than usual, and they are here for a visit."

 

 

"Why? Any problems? We might be able to consider it."  Minjoo turned to the two and asked, but there's something off today.

 

 

And Yujin wondered what it is. Behind that mask, there's something's strange, something she hasn't seen during her first and second visit. But disregarding that,  "My gums at the end is aching and I thought it might be a reason why I'm having a fever. I've taken medicines for fever, but none of them worked properly, my fever just keeps on coming back."

 

 

"You're fever keep on coming back?"

 

 

"Okay, let them in."  Minjoo ordered the front desk person and turned her back to go to the clinic of her own. Yujin is confused, and so as Wonyoung. But unlike Yujin who wouldn't ask for any unnecessary things, Wonyoung did.

 

 

"The director doesn't seem fine today, is she okay? I've been visiting here regularly and this is the only time I don't feel warm."  The employee smiled and answered,  "I'm sorry, Miss Jang, but I'm in no position to tell anything."

 

 

"Oh, okay, sorry. Thank you."

 

 

That moment they followed Minjoo's steps, Yujin only felt herself being more curious and confused at the same time. Wonyoung was right, the doctor doesn't seem fine today and it's a bit weird, especially for Wonyoung who had never seen the dentist be that dull even if she's already tired from work.

 

 

"Kind of weird."  But they entered and was attended by the dentist anyway.

 

 

As soon as they went in, Yujin had sensed the smell of alcohol again, and it is still pleasant for her. They saw the dentist drying her hands as they stepped in, but no words are actually coming out of the professional which is aside from unusual, kind of giving them uncomfortable vibe as well, so Wonyoung decided to break the silence...

 

 

"Where's your assistant, Doctor Kim?"  The dentist glanced at her, but averted her eyes on her gloves as soon as she met the latter's eyes.

 

 

"I decided to send everyone off early."  Brief a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter