One

Broken Lover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

O N E 

The sound of airplanes taking off and landing were deafening but Hana's smile turned wider as soon as she stepped out of the airport doors. Her eyes wandered around the area with longing. This was where she had felt it was home. No, this was her home. However, since her mother had passed away when she was 7 years old, Hana no longer returned to Seoul as her father remarried a Korean American woman and decided to stay in the United States permanently with his family.

Hana’s mind wandered to the heated conversation she had with her father and stepmother yesterday.

“How dare you embarrassed me like that!” Her father’s thunderous voice echoed through the living room of Jung’s Mansion.

Hana sat quietly on the velvet sofa with no trace of emotion on her face. She was determined to leave the family even if her father forbid her so. Mr Jung’s expression turned rigid in anger as he realised that Hana was not uttering anything.

“How could you walk out of that wedding? It cost us a good amount of projects with the Hwang!” he added – stressed that Mr Hwang cancelled 4 major contracts with their company.

Mrs Jung, who had been listening, stopped her husband from ranting by tugging his hand to sit at the armchair across Hana. She knew that Hana had caused a major trouble, but they could still talk it out, she presumed. It was not 100% Hana’s fault that they were in such situation. It was Hwang Mingyu that wanted to cheat on Hana just so that he could receive his inheritance.

“Stop it,” Mrs Jung started firmly, “It is not 100% Hana’s fault that she cancelled the wedding. It was Mingyu’s fault for treating her like a fool for 7 years.” Mrs Jung added before taking a seat next to Hana – rubbing her back endearingly.

Despite the common perceptions that stepmothers were usually evil and vile, Mrs Jung was nowhere closed to be an evil step-mother. Ever since she married into the Jung’s family 19 years ago, she had always loved Hana as her own daughter especially that she was not able to conceive due to an early miscarriage. Hana was her baby and she had taken care of Hana’s needs while her husband busied himself with work. Mrs Jung knew that her husband could never really see eye-to-eye with their daughter since Hana was a replica of her late mother. You can say it was guilt consuming Mr Jung over his late wife’s death that he chose to neglect Hana as a whole since everything about Hana reminded him of her mother.

“How can you still take her side at this point?” Mr Jung sighed at his wife’s excuse.

Mrs Jung shook her head, “I am not,” she continued softly, “But if someone wanted to marry me for my wealth and for his own selfish reasons, I would dare say I won’t do it either. It is not our daughter’s fault.” Mrs Jung was firmed in her opinion that Hana was not in fault.

Yes, she could have came clean to them before making a huge decision like that at the altar but Mrs Jung understood that Hana must had countless of thoughts crossing her mind before taking that bold decision. If she could have said it aloud, Mrs Jung was proud of Hana's decision to not slave herself after such man. Hana deserved better, Mrs Jung thought. 

Hana held her tears. She was thankful that her stepmother was always by her side despite her father’s attempts to ignore or blame her throughout the days she grew up alone.

“I am not a pushover,” Hana started off as her eyes landed on her father, “Business is not a good excuse to force me into a marriage where I know I would be miserable.” She continued boldy.

Mrs Jung shook her head – internally pleading for Hana to not aggravate the matter anymore. Mr Jung’s nose flared in anger as he heard Hana’s words. How dare she?!

“This is the business that fed you, clothed you, you ungrateful brat!” He screamed pressing at the word 'business'' as watched Hana stood up challenging his position.

Hana scoffed, “Yes! But where were you when I need you? Was it enough you threw money in my way to fend for myself? It was only mom who was here for me! Why? Is it because you are too guilty that my mother died due to your own recklessness?” Her tone was raised and she stressed the word 'mom''. 

Mr Jung stumped in his seat. Never in a million years, he would expect Hana to question him. He knew Hana grew up bold but never once he thought Hana was that  brave to argue with him as she never objected anything he had said – be it bad or good.

“Pack your bags and leave,” Mr Jung’s voice was soft but firm.

If Hana was disrespecting him, then she h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter