Growing Pains

Broken Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer class has finally finished! :) 

 

Hello to the new subbies!

 

I wrote this chapter, while listening to Growing Pains. Hence, the chapter's title. Keke It's my favorite D&E song. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good morning!” Heechul opened the glass door in the balcony of Donghae’s office. He had a tray of warm souffles, Donghae’s fresh orange juice and two green mango shakes on his hands. Leeteuk and Donghae were sitting in the gray couch and looked at him. The chef instantly noticed the cut on the owner’s left brow and dark circle around his left eye. “To me.” He flatly said as he put down the tray on the wooden table in front of them. He sat on the blue deck chair beside Donghae. “What happened?”

 

Leeteuk answered for him. “Uncle hit him.”

 

“Hmmm.” Heechul pursed his lips to the side, while making a face. “What a great way to greet his son after a few years. And what made him do so?”

 

Seeing as Donghae still would not answer. “Donghae announced his relationship with Eunhyuk in front of uncle’s friends.” Leeteuk said.

 

“Ahhh.” Heechul took a sip from his shake. Donghae started to eat the souffle. “I don’t know about those friends of uncle, but there’s really nothing to be shocked about. If they were smart, they should have thought that something is unique about Donghae when he chose to leave the Lee Corporation years ago.” He took his sunglasses off, and started to eat the souffle too. He looked at Donghae who seemed very gloomy. “Hae. Don’t think about uncle. It’ll pass.”

 

“Yeah, Hae.” Leeteuk put his hand over his friend’s shoulder. “You know your dad. He’s really a difficult person. Don’t let his words burden you. You’ve experienced a lot. This will be just one of those.”

 

“I’m not thinking about my father.” Donghae said as he stood and walked towards the railings of the balcony. The ocean’s breeze comforted him.

 

“Then why do you look so troubled?” Leeteuk asked.

 

Donghae faced his friends again. “I got a mail.”

 

Leeteuk and Heechul looked at each other, then back to him. “What mail?” Heechul asked.

 

Donghae took a deep breath. “My plane ticket to Switzerland.” He finally said. “And a house key.”

 

“Oh my gosh.” Heechul wiped his lips with a napkin and just stared at Donghae.

 

Leeteuk straightened his back. He was about to drink his mango shake, but put it down again. “He got the Swiss deal.” The manager nodded as if he was answering back to himself.

 

“Yeah.” Donghae’s reply was the only thing cold in that early summer-like atmosphere in the resort.

 

“Have you guys talked?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

 

* F L A S H B A C K *

 

 

Donghae was frozen on his bed, as he stared at the key and plane ticket on his hands. He did not finish the party, and left everything in Leeteuk’s hands. He just took a bath, letting the wound on his brow cooled down. He did not bother putting a medicine. Dara gave him her handkerchief and told him to press it on it to stop bleeding. She insisted on going to the resort’s clinic, but he refused and just bade goodbye. Now, looking at these things in his hands made him forget everything that happened with his father.

 

Suddenly, his phone began to ring, a videocall. It was Eunhyuk.

 

He put the things on his bed, still holding his phone. He took a deep breath and faked a smile. “Annyeong.”

 

“Hi!” Eunhyuk’s face glowed on the screen. “Have you gotten it?”

 

Donghae looked back at the key and the ticket. “Yes, babe.”

 

“Well,” Eunhyuk sounded elated. He sat on his office’s chair, drinking an expensive wine that night. “Are you excited?”

 

No. “Yes.” He said. “I-I’m excited.”

 

“Hi Donghae!” CL’s face suddenly appeared on the screen. “I miss you, honey!”

 

Donghae smiled at her. “Hi Chaerin. I miss you too.”

 

“, move away.” Eunhyuk pushed her to the side irritatingly. They will be going to a club later to celebrate. “That is so annoying. Why am I still friends with her?”

 

“Because you love me.” CL shouted from the couch as she resumed browsing on her Instagram account.

 

“You wish.” He rolled his eyes, then laughed. “Finally, Hae! I got the Zimmermanns on the tip of my fingers. We sealed the deal. It was a tough fight against Davis, but hey. I won. You are now talking to the newest Chief Operating Officer of SFS.” Eunhyuk said proudly, as he took a sip of his J. S. Terrantez from Madeira.

 

“Congratulations Hyuk. I’m so happy for you.” This time, Donghae smiled a genuine one.

 

“For us.” Eunhyuk snorted. “Finally, we can get married.”

 

Donghae was stunned. For a moment there, he did not know what to feel. “Really?”

 

“Yes.” Eunhyuk beamed a smile. “Let’s get married in Switzerland. Bring Leeteuk hyung and Heechul hyung.”

 

He still couldn’t believe it. A while ago at the wedding, he was thinking of the possibility of getting married and now, they really are. “Of course, but-”

 

“Oh. I’m sure you’ll love the house. It suits us very well.” Eunhyuk added. “It’s actually near Lake Geneva. You’ll really love it, babe. You can go to a lot of places. Even when I’m in New York, you wouldn’t feel alone there. You can see the Alps-”

 

“W-w-wait.” Donghae cut him. “What do you mean when you’re in New York?” He stared at him. “I thought we agreed that you’d let Kyuhyun run Silver Corp.”

 

Eunhyuk grew quiet. He put down his glass. CL stopped browsing on her phone and looked at Eunhyuk. “No. Silver Corp. will still be run by me, Hae.”

 

Donghae stood from sitting on his bed. “Really?” There was indifference in his voice. “And how will that affect our supposed marriage?”

 

 

 

 

“He said that it will work?” Leeteuk repeated that carefully.

 

“Yes.” Donghae felt this huge baggage he’d been carrying since last night. His chest felt so heavy. He wasn’t in pain or something, but . . . he was not okay at all. “He said he could not leave Silver Corp. to anyone. It’s doing really well under his management. He got people in the White House now. That’s huge. Hyuk said Kyuhyun is not re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter