Part 3

Down By The Lake [Mini-Series]

It was harder to find evidence than you expected. Yongguk had taken you to the scene three times already, making you retrace the same steps over and over until you cried out in frustration. “Yongguk! Must we do this again?!”

“It is important, Y/N,” he urged and you groaned for the umpteenth time, dragging your feet back to the first spot you met Daehyun in that night. Yongguk joined your side and held his hands out loosely towards you. “Did he grab you like this?”

Reaching for your waist, Yongguk lifted his head up politely at the close proximity. You giggled, and he glanced down at you apprehensively.

“Had we not grown up together, perhaps I would see more of a man in you. Women say you’re handsome, if not for the aloof approach you maintain.”

“Focus, Y/N.”

“But you are rather sensitive and shy, are you not?” you continued, squeaking when he tightened his grip around you.

“My Lady, please focus,” he reiterated pointedly. “This tight?”

“He grabbed my arm,” you stated, shifting away from Yongguk so he could take it and then pushed into him as if you had been moving quickly and relied on his balance to hold you upright. Yongguk nodded once whilst you attempted to reign in your enjoyment at his evident displeasure of being this close to you. “And then we had our first conversation. He ridiculed my dress, which was warranted. So I asked for help out of it.”

“You are far too improper for a lady of your status, Y/N,” Yongguk groaned and you gave the inspector a look. Yongguk glanced down at you and then stepped away. “And then?”

“He helped me remove the dress so we could go swim. I was overheated from the ball.” Yongguk strained a smile and gestured down the path. You followed him to the point where you stepped out to the lakefront, merely a metre from the water’s edge. “I got to here before Daehyun pulled me back into the bushes.”

Replaying the steps, except this time, you pushed Yongguk into the space Daehyun had held you within. You grinned. “Struggling, Inspector?”

“No, your instruction is incredibly insightful,” he murmured, growing quiet as he looked around you both. Your humour eased as you watched him work, glancing around yourself as if you could see what he did.

“There is no way to see a thing from here,” he admitted softly and you nodded. “And with it being dark out, it would lower visibility further.”

“I could not see a thing, but I did hear it all,” you replied sadly, closing your eyes as a tear fell down your face. “I was right here as my best friend was killed.”

“And you went to go out?” he reminded, helping you along so you did not focus on the parts that could not be changed now. Nodding, you re-enacted the tussle, Yongguk holding you back. The tears continued to fall and your friend began to brood over the situation. “There is a chance the killer heard you both moving. He normally strikes five times with the hay hook. On Lucy-”

“Please,” you begged tearfully and Yongguk omitted the rest of his findings.

“He finished his kill short and decided to flee.”

“Daehyun pulled us in closer to the bushes and all I heard were footsteps in that direction,” you continued and Yongguk stepped around you, heading off as you sobbed into the bushes, crouching down when you could no longer stand.

You missed Lucy terribly and the guilt ate at you the further you helped Yongguk with the play-by-play. It was a misfortune you had not wished upon anyone, and had you the ability to return to the night for real, you would have done more.

Perhaps it would be you found afloat within the lake. After all, this was your house and the killer being on the property when so many guards were on post would have only meant he was looking for someone in particular.

You jumped when you felt a hand reach for your shoulder. “The track has been used recently.”

“The investigation that was led by Moore had more than seven men tramp up and down it. I do not feel any clues would remain.”

“Still, is it not a path you and I know better than others?” Yongguk offered and with a smile, you took his hand he held out for you.

“We have not played up there since we were young.”

“Not much has changed, I am certain of it,” Yongguk assured as he helped you over the fence style, swinging your linked hands loosely as you had always done as children. You continued to feel lighter as you travelled across the track that led to the old hunting den. Conversation was slow; much as it always was between you. Yongguk had always been the quiet type and you the brazen, your laughter bouncing off the hillside as it once had in the past.

Just as you were mentioning your Great Aunt’s upcoming birthday, Yongguk came to a stop, his gaze stopping on the tree line nearby. “What is it that you see?”

“Remember how we would climb that tree there?”

“Was it that one?” you asked, smiling fondly at the memory. However, Yongguk did not share the same sentiment. “Why? Is there something wrong with it?”

“I remember, we would watch our parents in the garden from here.”

Your blood ran cold, marching over to the tree in question, gesturing for Yongguk to boost you up into it. On a sturdy branch-way, you looked out towards your home. It was closer than you expected from walking thus far and you gasped. You could see into the garden well from here.

“It was a full moon that night, was it not?”

You nodded. “I remember seeing it brightly in the sky when Daehyun was undoing my dress. How long did we walk for?”

“Ten minutes I believe.”

You glanced down at Yongguk, your eyes searching his for consolation as you became distressed. “It... it would have been that long as the fastens on my dress stumped Daehyun for some time.”

“And had the killer ran,” Yongguk offered, raising an index finger. “He would have been in the right place to capture you both.”

“Lucy was not his target? We did not see or hear her approach at all.”

“Hop down,” Yongguk offered, leaping up into the tree once you were grounded. You hugged yourself, searching for comfort as your body continued to chill.

Yongguk then cursed. “Had she taken the main path towards the lake, she could have very well been the target. In fact, I believe she may have been on the move before you and Daehyun even met.”

“You mean he lured her there?”

Yongguk nodded grimly. “There was a note found upon her body. She was meant to be meeting Lord Wilsford.”

“Why I was with him just before I went to see Daehyun,” you breathed in confusion and blinked slowly.

It all began to click. Snapping your focus up to Yongguk’s face, you fell into his embrace once he was down beside you again. “Could he be the killer?!”

“Well, there is only one way to find out.”

____________________

Smoothing down your dress as you waited in the doorway of your home, you curtsied in greeting to those entering for your Aunt’s birthday party two days following your grave discovery. You attempted to keep yourself present in the moment, and since you had acted a great deal over the years in attending such trifle celebrations, it came easier than you expected.

On the outside, you looked demurely relaxed whilst on the inside, you were a jittery mess. Especially since Yongguk had yet to arrive at the party.

However, the guest you were waiting most for entered a moment later. He smiled warmly. “My Lady! Beautiful as ever.”

“You flatter me too easily, Lord Wilsford,” you answered, hoping he did not feel the way in which your skin began to crawl upon his contact with it. Smiling brightly, you then curtsied. “May you have a splendid evening.”

“One in which we can spend time together, I do hope,” he suggested and you nodded in answer. “I look forward to it.”

“As do I.”

Turning as he moved through into the ballroom, you exhaled a breath you hadn’t been aware you were holding shakily. Your Father at your side turned to look at you. “Are you feeling well?”

“Yes, I am fine.”

“If you do not wish to-”

“It is expected that all eligible women appear to all and every gathering where she may be matched with a husband, is it not?”

“Yes, darling. However, if you are not yet ready, you mustn’t push yourself.”

You smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “On the contrary, tonight this is where I must be.”

“Then it’s settled. Tonight we shall find you a husband,” he announced as Yongguk came through the door, bowing silently in greeting. You merely responded with a curtsy, sharing a long look before he moved on into the party itself.

You relaxed some knowing he was finally here, and soon entered after him, keeping an eye out for Lord Wilsford’s activity. He spent some time charming the elders and then the mothers before finding you, taking your hand and kissing it fondly.

“I fear I left you alone for far too long tonight.”

“I was feeling rather deprived of good company,” you answered much to his delight.

“I knew I would win your heart after all,” he drawled as he took you out onto the dance floor, slipping easily into the well-known steps to this song. You mindlessly followed, trying to think of a way to entice him further.

The matter was, you had never once wanted this man’s attention and now that you sought it, you were drawing quite the blank.

Thankfully, he was none the wiser. “Y/N.”

“Yes, my Lord?”

“Do you feel it rather crowded in here?” Lord Wilsford asked and looking up at him suddenly, he chuckled at your widened expression. “My, I took you by surprise!”

“No, I just… wondered how you could read my thoughts so easily.”

“Should we head outside?”

“Oh, I do not know if that is safe. Did you not hear of what happened out there last time?”

“Do not worry, I will be with you.”

Smiling graciously at his reassurance, you stepped in closer to the man. “We will have to go separately as not to draw attention.”

“I have much to say to you tonight. Meet me by the lakefront shortly,” he instructed and acting coy, you nodded and bit at your bottom lip. Lord Wilsford chuckled and reached to kiss the top of your hand, this time more ardently than before.

You swallowed visibly. “I look forward to hearing it all.”

“My Lady,” he breathed, looking up into your eyes. “This night will be one you will never forget.”

“Is that so? Well then, I anticipate being enlightened by your memorable gift. I will wait long enough for my Father not to notice my departure.”

Lord Wilsford left and after a moment, Yongguk came up to your side, leading you over to the refreshments. “Well?”

“He told me to meet him at the lakefront and that it would be a night to remember.”

“Are you feeling up to it?”

Glancing up at the man, you nodded hesitantly. “It is the only plan we have to save Daehyun, right?”

“It could be-”

“You will be right there, as we discussed?” you intervened and Yongguk smiled.

“I will catch the killer and protect you.”

“Then what are we waiting for? I have no doubt, a rather deadly proposal waiting for me.”

You only hoped that hearing it would still end up with you alive afterwards.