Part 1

Down By The Lake [Mini-Series]

The candled lighting flickered like a thousand stars in the grand hall, dancing across the faces and gleaming jewellery of the fine people within it. The annual jubilee ball was always a great success and tonight was like no other. Expensive fabrics of various shades and textures floated around the dance floor against men in elegant black suits, mixing together to make a collage of colours that any artist would relish to paint. In fact, there were several of the talented members of society doing so, sketching and painting remembrance of those that danced, laughed and dined the night in fashion. It was a season for celebration, although you had long gone forgotten what the rich were exactly rejoicing for. It was all the same for you, a never-ending cycle of who could buy the most expensive dress tailored to fit their loving daughters in hopes to marry them off to the young proprietors, dashing Earls, or any other eligible man within the room that had money.

Although you knew that was the way the upper-class society worked, you despised it immensely. It was worse for you as the daughter of Lord Brayer, since you were expected to marry the most eligible of all the men in the county. Your violet dress was by far the prettiest, draped over your body in a manner that had kept numerous eyes upon you all night. It irked you that you were beautiful, even though you were a vain person and could not imagine yourself any other way. However, it made you only more appealing to men of all ages and offers that one day your father could not turn down. You wished to be a normal young woman who could do as you pleased and not have to live by so many standards.

“Your dancing is by far the most gracious I have ever encountered,” Lord Wilsford complimented as he took you as his partner for another round. You smiled politely at the man, although you felt like stomping on his foot instead.

“I have been in lessons for most of my life, my Lord,” you replied matter-of-factly, smiling again as to keep him fooled to your real emotions. “If I could not dance well by now, I would certainly not gain the attention from as many as I have.”

“I do not believe that, my Lady. You would be able to dance this beautifully even without lessons. Your precision is by far the most natural I have met in a partner.”

“Thank you,” you replied flatly, your mood souring at his constant compliments. You had learned over the years that many came as thick and sickeningly sweet at times, and despite endeavouring to push them aside, it was not in your nature to do so. You were too independent for the crushing compliments of men who wanted to obtain you, and even with being taught that being submissive and courteous were the most desirable traits a woman could possess, you were too opinionated to follow the rules destined upon you by birth as a female.

You could feel the predatory gaze from the man who bestowed another smile upon you. “I believe I could not grow tired of dancing with you all night.”

“However, Lord Wilsford, how is that fair to any other man in this hall tonight?” you countered, watching the man frown and his grip tightened upon your waist. You were instantly displeased, having since a child disliked being handled forcefully without any reason.

You would not become one’s prey tonight.

“Surely the other men do not take your fancy like I do, Y/N. We have danced together on three occurrences this evening.”

Gritting your teeth, you then forcibly placed a smile upon your lips. “I believe all of those instances you speak of are from your constant need to dance with me. If you would excuse me now, I must make my rounds once again amongst all the guests. Until next time, my Lord.”

He was shocked by your confident dismissal and this worked to your advantage, slipping out of his loosened clutches and after dropping into a brief curtsy, you hastened to put distance between the man and yourself. Your skin felt as if it was being attacked by the freezing bite of the deepest winter’s snow and you shuddered. Your patience for the crowds, laughter and glitz had worn off a long time previous and you became determined to remove yourself from the party. Running through the large hallways of your home, only the sounds of your heels clattering upon the marble floors signalled that of your escape. An easy smile began to spread across your face as you went through the parlour’s large doors that led outside, pulling the digging claws of the pins within your long hair out so it fell to whip around your face as you continued to run away.

You were deep within the large maze of the garden when a hand shot out and grabbed you, the other stifling the shriek that left your mouth in surprise. Your bright eyes went wide momentarily until you caught glimpse of the man holding you captive. Daehyun lowered his hands and smiled at you tenderly. “You left me waiting far longer than I anticipated. It must be close to midnight, surely.”

“I am indeed sorry,” you honestly answered, closing your eyes and leaning into the hand that now cupped your cheek. You reopened your eyelids and smiled brightly up at him.

“Would you have had me wait here until a new sun rose for the day?” Daehyun continued, his plump lips and then smirked. “You look very ridiculous tonight.”

“This dress is so heavy, I feel as if I have a weight upon me that is dragging me towards the ground,” you complained and he chuckled. Leaning towards him, you smiled. “Perhaps you could be a gentleman and help remove it?”

“You are a positively wicked creature, Y/N.”

“Why? I am merely asking for your assistance.”

“Here?” Daehyun questioned and you nodded. “You surely wish to risk being found with your stable hand by others from the party and have me hanged?”

“So I can go for a swim in the lake under the moonlight,” you reiterated, slapping Daehyun’s arm as he chuckled, hands delving into the rich fabric, searching for the enclosures. You grinned at his willingness, stretching up to kiss him on the side of his face. His hands faltered and dark eyes turned to soak you up, making you feel as if the fabric upon you would suffocate you with how stifling hot it was becoming.

“Temptress,” he murmured before continuing with his aid, taking some time to figure the confusing nature of it before stripping off his plain shirt as well. Taking your hand, you both began darting down the pathway to the lake beyond the garden maze.

Just as you were about to enter the water, Daehyun pulled you back into the bushes rapidly, a hand covering your muffled confusion as best as it could. Staring up at him, you stilled when you heard the gurgled cry, the splashing of frantic water beyond your vision. You lurched forward only for Daehyun to hold you more tightly, shaking his head desperately. The noise from the lake soon ceased as your heart grew louder within your chest. Just as you went to pull away again, you heard footsteps enclosing on your hideaway, Daehyun quietly drawing you both back into the garden and out of complete sight. Clamping your eyes shut, you remained tucked into his side until he tapped you, giving you the silent instruction to wait where you were hidden.

Shaking your head in protest, you gripped at his hand and Daehyun swallowed heavily before nodding, stepping out onto the pathway again and checking both ways. You stumbled behind him onto the lakefront, gasping when you saw a body floating within the stained water.

“Stay here,” Daehyun instructed and you let go of his hand when you recognised the dress design, dashing into the water. Turning the woman over, you screamed and fell backwards, tears streaming from your eyes.

It was Lucy, your best friend.

And you had just listened to her death.