To the Next Semester

To Seoul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Christmas holiday without a boyfriend was definitely the worst experience Mina went through after this "amicable" breakup. Since school was out for such a joyous celebration, the three girls left to Japan to reunite with their families. It was the first time in a while since she had spent a holiday with just her family. Mina's two older sisters were both studying to become nurses and not to mention, they both brought their boyfriends over for their family Christmas dinner. Growing up as the youngest, Mina always stood by her sisters. In fact, they were all so close that she would usually listen to the same bands or like the same interests so that she wouldn't feel left out. But at some point in high school, she realized that she wanted to become her own person. She loved her sisters dearly, and nothing would change that. However, she was sick of being known as the third Myoui sister. She knew she was more than just that.

The only thing that reminded Mina during this dinner was that she was totally labeled as the black sheep, especially now that Jaehyun has left her life. Of course, she had to put on a facade and smile throughout the dreadful conversations of "if not nursing, then what are you studying?" and the comments "oh a graphic designer... never heard of it." Or the conversations about Jaehyun. "so where's your Mr. Korean?" "oh, that's ok! there's plenty of other fish in the sea!" It was impossible for her to get over him if everyone was asking about him! 

Fortunately, Mina had other plans for Christmas. She met up with Momo and Sana, as they do every year, for a game of secret santa! For Mina, this was the only event of the whole break that she would look forward too. Don't get her wrong, she was grateful for the gifts she received from her parents (socks, a loofah, and scented soap), but her friends always knew exactly what she wanted for Christmas. Every year. This year it was a polaroid camera. They really outdid themselves this year.

Of course once New Year's came around, all Mina could think about was the cliche phrase everyone has said at least once in their lifetime: "new year, new me." Mina swore on it. She was motivated to move on. In fact, she even went to a party (which she doesn't usually) with some of Momo's friends from middle school. Although she didn't get as remotely wasted as Momo did, she stood head up high (with Momo on the other arm), ready for the new year's obstacles.

This semester was a complete 180 from the previous ones for Mina. Because her friends were not the same majors (plus they already took all the core classes together), she knew no one out of all the classes she was enrolled in. One would assume that she would know at least one person, but throughout her two years in college, she stuck beside Jaehyun's side. Every time she had free time, she spent it with her friends or with Jaehyun. For the first time in years, she was alone. But that didn't stop her from making friends. She knew this was the perfec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter