chapter 8: tzuyu thinks she's slick

it's a loaf story

Things were starting to get pretty hectic since the preliminary exams were a few weeks away. Normally, Tzuyu would be stressing out about it too much, but thankfully she had a wonderful support group and her friends by her side. Though, it didn’t mean she was a hundred percent safe from the side effects of stress. Tzuyu was the type to eat when she’s stressed, so that meant they ran out of bread more often. 

 

And that’s where Jeongyeon comes in. Well, sort of.

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun knew of Tzuyu’s stress eating habits, so they weren’t really surprised when she headed out more often to replace the bread she ended up eating. Little did they know that Tzuyu used these opportunities to pay Jeongyeon a visit and buy from their bakery. Sure, there was a bakery a stone’s throw away from the dorm, but she kinda wanted to see Jeongyeon. Their friendship had sparked during that night at the park, and even though she was the one who comforted Jeongyeon then, she felt a lot better after it too. 

 

Since then, she took the time to strike up a conversation with Jeongyeon whenever she came to the bakery, even for just a short while. She didn’t want to rely on her too much, but she can’t deny that Jeongyeon helped brighten her mood, and God knows how much she needed those little moments.

 

That afternoon was no exception. After her classes had ended for the day, Tzuyu headed back to the dorm to rest a little before changing into comfier clothes and heading out once again to restock their bread. As always, it was a bit of a walk to get to Jeongyeon’s bakery, but it was worth it.

 

“Tzuyu!” Jeongyeon greeted her as she entered the shop. 

 

“Hey, Jeongyeon.” Tzuyu greeted back. 

 

“So, uhh, how’s it going?” Jeongyeon asked. “You doing alright?”

 

“Yeah, I’m alright, but I’m pretty stressed. Exams are coming in a few weeks and work’s just been piling up.” Tzuyu answered as she reached the counter.

 

“Yeah, I can feel it too.” Jeongyeon said as she headed to the display rack containing the loaves of white bread. “You buying the usual?”

 

“Yup. Actually, can I get some focaccia too?” Tzuyu requested.

 

“Ooohh, nice choice.” Jeongyeon said as she placed a few slices of focaccia in a smaller paper bag that she then placed in the bigger bag containing the loaf of white bread.

 

“Thanks.” Tzuyu said as she paid and received the bag. “So umm, what about you? How have you been lately?”

 

“Eh, as good as it can get, I suppose.” Jeongyeon answered as she returned behind the counter. “I have my thesis to worry about too, but I’ve been managing.”

 

“Well, I’m glad to know you’re still holding up.” Tzuyu remarked. “Though, I’ve been meaning to ask for a while now, how do you keep going? I mean, working in the day and studying at night? That’s gotta be tiring!”

 

“Heh, well, I guess it’s just a matter of motivation. If you really, really want something, you’d do everything you can to get it, right?” Jeongyeon answered.

 

“I guess so, but don’t you ever feel demotivated sometimes?” Tzuyu wondered.

 

“Oh, of course I do. I even thought of dropping out at one point.” Jeongyeon replied as she leaned on the counter. “But it’s part of it, you know? Sure, we all fall sometimes, but it doesn’t matter. What really matters is that we keep getting back up each time.”

 

I never really thought of it that way. Tzuyu thought, pondering on what Jeongyeon just said before speaking. “Wow, those are some wise words to live by.” She remarked. 

 

“Well it is what it is.” Jeongyeon replied. “We all gotta keep going somehow.”

 

“Yeah, not like we have much of a choice.” Tzuyu said, making them both chuckle a little. Just then, Jeongyeon’s mom emerged from the kitchen.

 

“Honey, where’d you put the- oh hello, dearie!” She said as she approached the counter. 

 

“Good afternoon, ma’am.” Tzuyu greeted. 

 

“It’s so nice to see you again!” Jeongyeon’s mom said. “Looks like you and Jeongyeon are getting along nicely.”

 

“Ugh, Ma, not this again.” Jeongyeon complained.

 

“What? I’m just happy that you’ve been more upbeat recently.” Her mom said. “I haven’t seen you smile like that in a while now, not since-”

 

“Aaanyway, I think I’m gonna have to excuse myself.” Jeongyeon interrupted. “I gotta get ready for class now.”

 

“Oh right, I didn’t notice the time.” Tzuyu said, checking her watch as she turned around to leave. “I think I’m gonna go too. Bye now!”

 

“Alright, dearie, take care.” Jeongyeon’s mom said, waving goodbye as Tzuyu left the shop.

 

“You know, you two look really cute together.” She remarked as she walked to the door leading to the kitchen.

 

“Like I haven’t heard that from you all the time.” Jeongyeon said as she sat on the counter.

 

“Well, it’s because you two are cute.” Her mom responded before entering the kitchen. “Anyway, get off the counter and go get yourself cleaned up. Wouldn’t want you spreading flour on your way to class.”

 

“Okay, okay.” Jeongyeon responded, but not leaving the counter just yet. She took a moment to collect her thoughts as she sat there. Have I really been that upbeat recently? And does Tzuyu have anything to do with it?

 

“Jeongyeon! You’re gonna be late to class!” Her mom called from the kitchen. 

 

Realizing what time it was, she left the counter and headed through the kitchen, brushing herself off in there before heading into the living area to reach her room.

 

Well, I guess I have been a bit happier recently. Jeongyeon thought to herself. She didn’t want to admit it yet, but Tzuyu did have something to do with her positive mood.

 

---------

 

Tzuyu finally arrived back at the dorm, feeling a lot better than she did that morning. She walked with a little more pep in her step through the living room to get to the kitchen, not noticing that Dahyun was on the couch typing on her laptop. 

 

Huh, looks like she took her time heading out for bread again. Dahyun wondered as she looked up from what she was doing. I wonder what else besides bread you’re taking care of while you’re out…

 

Just then, Chaeyoung arrived from upstairs and was headed to the kitchen before Dahyun beckoned her over.

 

“What’s up?” Chaeyoung asked as she sat next to Dahyun.

 

"Have you noticed how Tzuyu takes a little too long to get back when she goes out to buy bread these past few weeks?” Dahyun said softly so that Tzuyu wouldn’t overhear.

 

“Uh, yeah, but what about it though?” Chaeyoung wondered. “Doesn’t she always take her time doing anything?”

 

“I know, but it wouldn’t take her that long. The nearby bakery is pretty close by, unless-”

 

“-unless she’s up to something else…” Chaeyoung said, finishing Dahyun’s sentence.

 

“Or going somewhere else.” Dahyun corrected. “I got a feeling she’s been heading to the other bakery.”

 

“Ohh! You mean-” Chaeyoung nearly spoke out loud if Dahyun hadn’t shushed her. “-you mean Jeongyeon’s bakery!”

 

“Exactly.” Dahyun said. “Though, I think we shouldn’t ask her about it just yet. She probably thinks we haven’t noticed yet.”

 

Just then, Tzuyu walked past them and headed upstairs, humming a tune as she did.

 

“Well, I guess that’s a matter for another day, so for now, it’s cuddle time!” Dahyun said as she put her laptop down next to her and tackled Chaeyoung in a hug.

 

“Hey, isn’t it a little too early for cuddle time?” Chaeyoung said as she hugged back. 

 

“Ehh, any time is cuddle time!” Dahyun replied. 

 

“Okay, okay.” Chaeyoung said, chuckling as they laid on the couch, with Dahyun resting on top of her. “Any time is cuddle time it is then.”



------



Exam week was almost upon them, and it was very evident how everyone was stressed over it already. It was never kind to anyone, and it didn’t care whether you were a star student or just cruised by with C’s. It was unforgiving, and the girls knew that very well. Things got a little quieter at the dorm, with them choosing to spend their time studying and getting enough rest along with it. 

 

It was a pretty dull Friday evening. Well, not that their Fridays were any special recently. They had just finished eating dinner but they decided to lounge around in the living room for a bit. They were pretty burnt out since it was the weekend before exam week, so they decided to take a break. They had Saturday and Sunday to study anyway, so a night of rest seemed well-deserved.

 

Chaeyoung was switching through TV channels, looking for something to watch as she laid her head on Dahyun’s lap. 

 

“What’s taking you so long?” Dahyun asked as she put her phone down beside her. “I’m getting dizzy from you flipping through the channels so fast.”

 

“Well, it’s been a while since “A Baker’s Romance” reruns ended, and now I have nothing to watch." Chaeyoung answered.

 

"Why do you even like those kinds of shows anyway? It's not like they're any good." Dahyun added.

 

"That's the point! I watch it not because it’s good, but because it’s interesting." Chaeyoung said as she stopped switching channels and looked up at Dahyun. "C'mon, you might get into it too! Just try watching with me, please? Even just one episode?"

 

"You of all people should know I prefer movies over TV shows, right?" Dahyun reminded her.

 

"Aww, please?” Chaeyoung said as she pouted at Dahyun and looked at her with puppy-dog eyes. “Pretty please?”

 

They were at a stalemate for a few moments, with Dahyun refusing to give in to Chaeyoung’s attempt to win her over and Chaeyoung remaining unrelenting with her cuteness. Soon enough though, Dahyun gave in (like she always does, but she doesn’t want to admit it).

 

“Oh, fine.” Dahyun conceded. “But just one episode, alright? Just one.” 

 

“Yay!” Chaeyoung said as she sat up and wrapped her arms around Dahyun. 

 

“Yeah yeah, don’t get too pumped up about it.” Dahyun replied. “So uhh, what do we watch then?”

 

“You know what, since we were just talking about it, we could start with “A Baker’s Romance”. I’ve been thinking of re-watching it anyway.” Chaeyoung suggested before looking over to Tzuyu, who was seated at the other end of the couch. “Hey, speaking of baker’s romance, how are things between you and Jeongyeon?”

 

“H-huh?” Tzuyu looked up from her phone, looking all kinds of confused. “What do you mean between me and Jeongyeon?”

 

“Like, are things going...you know...smooth?” Chaeyoung continued as she let go of Dahyun.

 

“Well, yeah, unless the word smooth means something else to you.” Tzuyu answered before shifting her focus back on her phone. “We just talk a bit whenever I head over to their bakery to buy something.”

 

“And how often have you been doing that recently?” Dahyun added. “We’ve been wondering why you take so long to get back when you’re out buying bread when there’s literally a bakery a few blocks from here.”

 

“Uhh…” Tzuyu’s voice trailed off, knowing she had no way out of this one. 

 

“Mhm, I guess we were right then.” Chaeyoung said. “You and your little escapades...”

 

Tzuyu took a deep breath before continuing to speak. “I’d hate to say it, but maybe you were right about this one, Chae. She just, I don’t know, helps lift my spirits.”

 

“You’re very welcome, Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung said as she smirked at her, now knowing that things were indeed going smooth between Jeongyeon and Tzuyu. 

 

At the back of Tzuyu’s mind though, a seed of doubt had taken root. Even though she had literally just confirmed that Chaeyoung was right about taking the chance, a part of her still wondered whether it was the right decision to make. Everything felt like it was going a little too well, and it was that thought that set things off.. 

 

“Hello? Earth to Tzuyu?” Dahyun said, momentarily bringing Tzuyu out of her thoughts. “You kinda zoned out there. You okay?”

 

“Y-yeah, I’m okay. I umm, I-i think I’m gonna go to bed now.” Tzuyu replied before hastily getting up and heading to her room. Dahyun could tell something was off, so she made a mental note to ask her about it at a later date. Chaeyoung didn’t seem to notice though, since she was still in the middle of channel surfing.

 

Meanwhile, upstairs in Tzuyu’s bedroom…

 

Tzuyu found herself on her bed, burying her face into her pillow and struggling to calm herself down. It’s not the time to think about stuff like this, she thought to herself repeatedly. I have more important things to worry about, but why? Why can’t I get this out of my head?!

 

She found herself taking rapid, shallow breaths as her grip on her pillow grew tighter. What if my big fat crush on Jeongyeon clouded my decisions? What if Jeongyeon’s just being nice to me and she’s getting tired of me? What if all of this was pointless after all? What if I’m just setting myself up to get hurt? What if this ruins everything I've worked towards? What if-

 

The storm of “what-if’s” running through her mind was pierced when her phone rang, grounding her back to reality. With shaky hands, she reached for her phone and checked who was calling.

 

Mom, I really, really need you right now.