chapter 6: tzuyu meets a cat

it's a loaf story

“Ugh, my head hurts.” was the first thought in Tzuyu’s mind the following morning. Sure, it was because of how much she drank the night before, but it was also partly because of Dahyun and Chaeyoung. To say that dealing with them was quite a handful was an understatement; the number of times she had to keep them from accidentally getting hurt were too many too count. Chaeyoung was the type to get all hyper and Dahyun was the type to follow whatever Chaeyoung did. Maybe it was just a “couple” thing, but Tzuyu didn’t want to think about it any further, not when she’s fumbling for her phone to check what time it is.

 

“Ow…” A soft voice muttered from beside her when she hit her hand on something soft, confusing the hell out of her until she remembered what happened last night: they had all fallen asleep in the living room, and she and Dahyun were unfortunate to have been sleeping on the carpet. Luckily, they were able to think to use the throw pillows to support their heads before passing out.

 

Tzuyu sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes before groggily trying to get on her feet. She took a moment to reorient herself before looking around for her phone. For some reason, she found it inside a ziploc bag along with her wallet on the kitchen counter. How’d those end up there? And why did I put it there? Did I even put it there?

 

She could only wonder as she took her phone out of the bag and turned it on to check the time. 11:34 a.m. Jeez, and the two lovebirds are still fast asleep. Ugh, and my head still kinda hurts too. Might need to take a Tylenol for this one.

 

She reached for their medicine box on top of the fridge and took a Tylenol before heading back to the living room, where Dahyun and Chaeyoung had woken up and were now huddled up close to each other on the couch.

 

“Oh, good, you two are awake.” Tzuyu remarked as she approached them. “I was about to wake you two up.”

 

“Yeah, good morning to you too…” Chaeyoung replied. “Why is it so bright?”

 

“It’s almost noon.” Tzuyu answered. “Uhh, unrelated question, but umm, how did my phone end up in a ziploc bag?”

 

“Ah, I think that one’s on me.” Chaeyoung responded. “I remember Dahyun daring me to drop your phone in a glass of water, so you put it in the bag to keep it safe.”

 

Well that answers that question...

 

“Shhh...you’re so nice and warm…” Dahyun mumbled as she snuggled up into Chaeyoung. 

 

“Mhm, speaking of warm, I could really go for a bowl of noodles right now.” Chaeyoung said as she reached for her phone. “What do you guys want?”

 

“You…” Dahyun responded as she sleepily pushed a finger into Chaeyoung’s left cheek.

 

“Yes, I know, Dahyun.” Chaeyoung said as she held Dahyun’s hand. “Same order for you then. What about you, Tzuyu?”

 

“I’ll have the same, but make it spicy and add a soft-boiled egg.” Tzuyu responded as she fixed her hair the best she could. “I think I need a bit of fresh air.”

 

“Okay, just come back soon.” Chaeyoung said as she was placing their orders through UberEats. “I think I’m gonna need your help to get Dahyun off of me when the food arrives.”

 

“I’m sure you’ll do fine.” Tzuyu said as she headed to the kitchen to get her wallet before leaving. “I’m heading out now, might buy something along the way. Want me to get you anything?” 

 

“Nah, I think I’m good.” Chaeyoung answered.

 

“Okay, I’m off then.” Tzuyu said as she left the dorm.

 

She didn’t really have any place in mind to head to, so she spent some time just soaking in the sunlight as she walked, even though it was basically noon already. It was pretty cloudy too, so it wasn’t too uncomfortable to be walking in the sun. She knew she didn’t look the best, but there weren't a lot of people around anyway, considering it was a Sunday. 

 

As she walked, she came across the nearby 7-Eleven and decided to buy herself a small bag of chips. And maybe a pack of breath mints too. Even though she was getting pretty hungry, she didn’t feel comfortable with her breath, having realized she didn’t brush her teeth before leaving.

 

Upon making the purchase and exiting the store, she came across a grey cat along the sidewalk. It was pretty fluffy and cute, but it looked like its eyebrows were furrowed. It stared at her like it was ready to fight her and mess her day up, but it seemed docile nonetheless. Tzuyu didn’t know much about cats, but this one definitely looked like it had a breed, and it looked pretty well taken care of too.

 

Oh no, are you lost, little kitty? Tzuyu thought as she slowly approached the cat.

 

She decided to crouch down and let the cat approach her instead, not wanting to appear hostile to the little thing as she extended her free hand to it. Slowly but surely, the cat walked up to and nuzzled her hand. Feeling amused by its cuteness, she put the stuff in her other hand on the ground to pet the cat with both hands, which the cat seemed to enjoy.   

 

She may have been feeling a little too amused with it, though, as the cat was a bit more cunning than it looked. Mistaking Tzuyu’s wallet (which looked like a miniature loaf of bread) for actual food, the cat snatched it in its mouth and ran off.

 

Upon realizing what had just happened, she immediately picked up the rest of her things and ran after the little cat. “Kitty! No! Come back here! That’s not food!” She yelled as she did. 

 

God I’m really, really out of shape. Tzuyu thought as she was already panting after chasing the cat for only a minute. I might need to exercise more, and this hangover isn’t helping either.

 

After several more minutes of chasing, she was starting to lose hope of being able to catch the cat until she saw it jump into some lady’s arms, which she assumed was the cat’s owner. She slowed down to save her stamina and talk to whoever let the little devil out on its own.

 

“What the hell is up with your cat?!” She huffed as she reached the owner. “It stole my wallet!” 

 

“Huh? What do you mean- Oh…” The lady said upon seeing the thing her cat had in its mouth. “Bami! Give her the wallet back this instant or I won’t give you treats.” She said as she took Tzuyu’s wallet from the cat’s mouth.

 

Thanks lady...wait...why does she sound familiar...Tzuyu thought as she bent over with her hands on her knees to catch her breath. After a few moments of getting her breathing under control, she looked up to see the owner.

 

And in that moment, she felt like the universe was playing with her, because out of all the people it could’ve been, it just had to be-

 

Jeongyeon?!

 

“Oh, it’s you!” Jeongyeon remarked as she realized that she was talking to Tzuyu. “Sorry for the hassle. Bami here has been pretty hyper lately, but I never thought he’d steal a wallet.”

 

“You’re umm, Tzuyu, right?” Jeongyeon asked as Tzuyu stood up straight.

 

Okay, stay calm, don’t make things more awkward than it should. “Y-yes, I’m Tzuyu.” She stuttered.

 

“You know, I think I owe you a proper introduction, considering the last few times we met.” Jeongyeon said as she put Bami on the ground and extended her hand. “I’m Jeongyeon. Yoo Jeongyeon. Nice to properly meet you.”

 

“Chou Tzuyu.” Tzuyu responded as she took Jeongyeon’s hand and shook it. 

 

“I believe this is yours?” Jeongyeon said as she returned Tzuyu’s wallet.

 

“Oh, right. Thanks.” Tzuyu said as she took it from her hand. 

 

“So uhh, I’d ask you what brings you here, but we both kinda know that already.” Jeongyeon said. 

 

“Heh, yeah…” Tzuyu could only respond, considering there wasn’t much they thought of talking about, so they just ended up standing and looking at each other in awkward silence for a few moments.

 

“So uhh, what your friend said yesterday-”

 

“My friend?”

 

“Yeah, about you getting really nervous around people you like...”

 

“Oh, that.” This is how it ends, Tzuyu thought. “W-well, yeah, I do.”

 

“You do what?” Jeongyeon asked.

 

“I mean, yes, I uhh, I do...like...you.” Tzuyu barely managed to say out loud. This is how I die. She thought as she felt her stomach tie in knots.

 

“Heh, cute.” Jeongyeon said as she chuckled. “Haven’t had anyone tell me they liked me in a while.”

 

“Why’s that?” Tzuyu asked.

 

“Well, I’ve been a little too busy for stuff like that, working in the bakery during the day and attending classes at night.” Jeongyeon answered. “And uhh, I’m sure you’ve heard my mom say it but, I’m graduating this year too, so things are extra hectic for me.”

 

“Oh, I see.” Tzuyu responded. How do I tell her I’m a freshman? I’m sure she deserves to know that, right? But I don’t wanna make things awkward between us…

 

Ah, screw it. If I’m gonna go down, I’m going down in a blaze of glory.

 

“I’m just in my first year of uni, so I wouldn’t know how stressful that feels.” Tzuyu said, managing to muster up enough courage to say it.

 

“Oh, so you are new here.” Jeongyeon remarked. “I thought my mom was referring to a different person.”

 

“What’s your mom been saying?” Tzuyu asked.

 

“She’s been talking about somebody who was so nice and polite, and she still doesn’t stop telling me I should find a nice girl.” Jeongyeon said as she rubbed the back of her neck. “So uhh, I guess she’s been talking about you.”

 

“Jeongyeon?! It’s time for lunch! Get in here or the food’s gonna get cold.” Jeongyeon’s mom yelled from inside the shop.

 

“Coming, Ma!” Jeongyeon responded before turning to face Tzuyu again. “I guess I should go now.”

 

“Y-yeah, me too. See you again some other time I guess?” Tzuyu said.

 

“I don’t see why not. So umm, you take care now, wherever you’re headed.” Jeongyeon responded as she waved goodbye. 

 

“Bami, I swear, the next time you get in trouble, I’m keeping you in the house.” Tzuyu heard Jeongyeon say as she disappeared into the shop.

 

I hope I made the right decisions. Tzuyu could only think as she headed back to the dorm. And I hope she doesn’t think of me any differently.

 

As she walked, she checked her phone and saw that Chaeyoung had texted her. 

 

---

From: tiny friend #2

 

hey tzuyu the foods here. get back quick or dahyun might eat yours too.

---

 

Feeling her stomach rumble already, she quickened her pace and headed back to the dorm. 



Meanwhile, at the Yoo household…



“Oh good, you managed to find Bami too.” Jeongyeon’s mom remarked as they sat down to eat.

 

“Yeah, this little devil’s been pretty busy. Can you believe he stole a wallet?” Jeongyeon said.

 

“What?! Then we should return the wallet to whoever-”

 

“Ma, it’s fine. She chased Bami all the way here, so she got her wallet back.” Jeongyeon continued.

 

“She?” Her mom asked.

 

“Yeah, it was Tzuyu. She was here with her friend yesterday who asked about sourdough starter, remember?” Jeongyeon added.

 

“Oh, right. So, you two are on a first-name basis now, huh?” Her mom teased.

 

“Well, what else am I supposed to call her besides her name?” Jeongyeon said. 

 

“I’m just saying, you never know how things can turn out.” Her mom responded.

 

“Pfft, yeah right. Besides, she’s just a freshman, and I’m graduating by the end of the school year. Things won’t work out either way.” Jeongyeon said.

 

“Oh don’t be too negative, honey. That’s like the same time your dad and I met!” Her mom reminded her.

 

“And now you’re divorced.” Jeongyeon reminded her as well.

 

“Eh, fair point, but that isn’t the case now.” Her mom said as she put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “You deserve to be happy, okay? I’m just here to remind you of it.”

 

“I know, Ma, and I’m grateful for that.” Jeongyeon responded. “I just don’t think now is the right time.” 

 

“I understand. Do it at your own pace.” Her mom said. “Just don’t give up on it, okay?” 

 

“Don’t worry Ma, I won’t.” She responded with a smile. 

 

Maybe you’re right, Ma, but you might just be forgetting that I when it comes to my feelings too. Just ask Nayeon.