chapter 1: tzuyu finds a bakery

it's a loaf story

“Ahh, the life of a new university student.” Dahyun said as they walked around the campus after the orientation meeting. “So many new things to do, so many people to meet, so many-”

 

“So many damn rooms to look for.” Chaeyoung interjected as she scratched her head, looking back and forth between the campus map given to them and her class schedule. “How am I supposed to attend these classes if I can’t find them?”

 

“Psh, you’re lucky all your classes are on the same floor.” Tzuyu said, with a look of disappointment on her face as she looked at her own schedule. “Looks like everyday is leg day for me.”

 

“Oh come on, aren’t you two looking forward to this?” Dahyun asked. “We’re finally getting to work towards our dreams!”

 

“Well aren’t you a little ray of sunshine today.” Chaeyoung said to Dahyun before tapping Tzuyu on the shoulder. “Hey Tzuyu, I’ll bet you ten bucks Dahyun’s positivity won’t last until the preliminary exams.”

 

“Twenty bucks says she won’t last three weeks.” Tzuyu answered.

 

“You’re on.” Chaeyoung agreed with a cheeky grin.

 

“Can you two lighten up a little?” Dahyun said as she moved in between the two. “We’ve got a few more days to settle in before the first day of class anyway. Why don’t we head out and look around?”

 

“Eh, I don’t feel like doing anything else today.” Chaeyoung said. “If you really want to, then go ahead, but I’m heading back to the dorm.” Then, she left.

 

“Oh. Okay then.” Dahyun replied, sounding a bit dejected. “See you later I guess.” 

 

They walked for a few moments in silence before Tzuyu spoke. “Hey, is everything okay between you and Chae?” She asked.

 

“Well, yeah, but…” Dahyun’s voice trailed off as they stopped in their tracks. “I just kinda thought she’d be more enthusiastic about it, you know?”

 

“We both worked so hard to get into this university, but now it’s like she just wants to get it over with.” She continued.

 

“Well, I don’t think you should worry too much.” Tzuyu said as she pat Dahyun on the back. “She might just be trying to cope with being away from home for the first time.”

 

“Maybe let her let off some steam first, but be there for her, yeah? She’s your girlfriend after all.” She continued. “Anyway, still wanna head out? We do have a lot of time left for the day.”

 

“Yeah, I think that would be nice.” Dahyun answered, sounding a lot less downbeat.

 

“Alright! Let’s get to it then. Maybe we might find a nearby bakery too.” Tzuyu said as they headed out of the campus.

 

They wandered around the vicinity for a bit, taking note of what shops were nearby and just taking in the environment. They were gonna spend several years studying there, so it seemed right to familiarize themselves with what they had access to.

 

Much to Tzuyu’s delight, they found a bakery, although it was a bit further away from the general vicinity of the campus. “Dahyun wait! We almost just walked past this bakery.” Tzuyu said as she grabbed Dahyun by the shoulders to stop her.

 

“Oh wow, you’re right. This one is pretty easy to miss.” Dahyun commented. “They don’t have a big sign or anything.”

 

“Wanna get something to eat while we look around?” Tzuyu asked. 

 

“Nah, I’m good. Saving myself for dinner later.” Dahyun answered as they entered. “I’m thinking of making tteokbokki for Chaeyoung later too to lift her spirits.”

 

“That’s if we’ve taken the kitchenware out of the boxes already.” Tzuyu said.

 

“Don’t worry, I took them out already, I think.” Dahyun replied.

 

“Good morning, ladies!” The nice old shopkeeper lady greeted them as Tzuyu looked at the display cases and racks of the different baked goods available. “See anything you like?”

 

“Oh, hello ma’am!” Tzuyu greeted back. “I would like, umm, two of those brioche custard buns please.”

 

“Coming right up.” The lady said with a smile as she went over to the custard buns and placed Tzuyu’s order in a paper bag.

 

“Aww, Tzuyu, you didn’t have to buy one for me too.” Dahyun said, putting her hands on her chest in delight.

 

“Uhh, these are both for me.” Tzuyu said. “You said you weren’t hungry yet, right?”

 

The look on Dahyun’s face was priceless, managing to look both surprised and ever so slightly disappointed. The shopkeeper lady laughed at Dahyun’s adorable reaction. “Hah! Oh, that’s okay, sweetie, I’ll add another one. This one’s on the house.” The lady said as she put another bun in the bag.

 

“You two seem to be new around here, so consider this as a welcoming gift.” The old lady continued. “It’s always nice to see fresh faces around the neighborhood.” She said as she handed the bag over to Tzuyu and received the payment.   

 

Upon receiving the bag, Tzuyu had taken one of the buns out and took a hearty bite out of it. The texture and the flavor of the bread made her eyes light up. It was chewy and tender, just how she liked it. The custard was amazing too, being not too sweet and complimenting the brioche bun.

 

“Wow, this is really, really good.” Tzuyu managed to say after a few good seconds of chewing. “This just made my day ten times better, ma’am.”

 

“Aww, thank you, sweetie!” The lady responded with a soft smile. “I’m glad you liked it. You know, you’ve just made my day too. It’s always-”

 

“Ma?!” A girl’s voice emerged from the back, cutting the lady off. “Where’s the fire extinguisher again? I think the oven’s smoking a little too much!”

 

“Oh dearie me! I’m sorry but I have to deal with this. Take care now, you two!” The lady said as she ran to the back of the shop 

 

“So, uhh, let’s get going then, I guess?” Dahyun said as she took a custard bun from the paper bag.

 

“Yeah, let’s go.” Tzuyu agreed as they left the shop.

 

As they went on their way, Tzuyu looked behind them to note down the name of the bakery: Bread for Yoo. Aww, that’s cute. They made a pun out of their family name. Probably.

 

They did a bit more exploring around the rest of the vicinity of the campus, but they didn’t find much else that piqued their interest, so they decided to head home for the day..

 

On the way, though, they find a bakery almost just across the street from the dorm.

 

“Huh, what are the odds.” Dahyun said as she finished eating her custard bun. “There’s one close by! Looks like you don’t have to go all the way to that other bakery then.”

 

“I think I still might come back to that other one, though.” Tzuyu said as they peeked through the window. “They don’t have brioche custard buns, see?”

 

“Fair enough, but at least this one’s here.” Dahyun said. “You know, I think I’m pretty beat from all the walking today. Let’s get home quick, I miss Chaeyoung already.”

 

“Okay, okay, stop reminding me I’m single.” Tzuyu said as they went back to walking. 

 

“Aww, don’t be too bitter. You’ll meet your special someone soon. I can feel it!” Dahyun responded.

 

“Pfft, the last time you “felt” something, you nearly lost all your savings.” Tzuyu reminded her as they made it to the front door.. 

 

“Oh don’t remind me of that. I didn't think that offer was fake, okay? This time, I’m sure it's real.” Dahyun said as she unlocked the door.

 

“Yeah, okay, sure.” Tzuyu responded sarcastically as they entered. 

 

Upon entering, Dahyun bumped into a small stack of boxes. They had just moved in two nights ago, so they weren’t entirely done with unpacking their stuff. 

 

“Ah, damn it!” Dahyun exclaimed. “Whose stuff is this?”

 

“Oh, sorry, those are mine.” Chaeyoung said as she was laying on the sofa and without taking her eyes off the TV. “I’ll take them upstairs later.”

 

“Couldn’t you have taken them upstairs when you got home earlier?” Dahyun said, sounding irritated.

 

“I’m sorry, okay? I was tired.” Chaeyoung retorted, eyes still glued to the TV screen.

 

Dahyun sighed before picking up the stack of boxes to take them upstairs.

 

“Hey! I told you I’ll bring them upstairs.” Chaeyoung said, immediately getting up from the sofa to take the boxes from Dahyun, but she wouldn’t let go of them.

 

“Dahyun, what’s wrong?” Chaeyoung asked as she moved her hands from the boxes and onto Dahyun’s hands. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

 

“You know, I thought you’d be more excited about this.” Dahyun muttered.

 

“Excited about what?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“This!” Dahyun lashed out as she the stack of boxes into Chaeyoung’s arms. “We’ve been through so much just to get here, and now it’s like you don’t care!”

 

“What?! I don’t care?” Chaeyoung retorted as she placed the boxes back on the floor. “What made you think-”

 

“Ever since we got here a few nights ago, it’s like everything’s been just a mere bother to you.” Dahyun interrupted, on the verge of tears. “Aren’t you happy? Even just a little bit?!”

 

“Dahyun, I-” Chaeyoung stuttered. “I’m, I-I’m sorry. Look, it’s just been-”

 

“Say it when you mean it, Chae.” Dahyun said before stomping her way upstairs to the bedrooms.

 

“Dahyun, wait!” Chaeyoung yelled as she followed her upstairs.

 

“Aaand the boxes are still down here. Cool.” Tzuyu remarked as she headed over to the kitchen to see what they could make for dinner. They did some grocery shopping yesterday so they had ingredients stocked up in the fridge. Unfortunately, the kitchenware was still in their respective boxes. 

 

Great. Tzuyu thought as she sighed. Seems like Dahyun didn’t really take these out of their boxes. Oh well, I don’t feel like unpacking this either, so I guess we’ll just get some food delivered.

 

And with that, Tzuyu headed over to the couch and sat down to watch whatever drama Chaeyoung was watching earlier.

 

“No! Don’t go, Alejandro!” The lady in the show yelled.

 

“But I must, Celeste. My mother would not approve of this.” The man, presumably Alejandro, replied.

 

“Will Celeste and Alejandro finally have their happy ending, or will they never get back together? Tune in to the last two weeks of “A Baker’s Romance”” The announcer said as the episode ended.  

 

Man, I know Chae has some pretty...unique...interests, but dubbed cheesy Spanish telenovelas? That’s peculiar, even for her. Tzuyu thought to herself as she took the remote and flipped through the channels. Ugh, nothing’s interesting either. Maybe I should check on them and see if they’re okay.

 

She turned off the TV and headed upstairs to check on Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. As she was going up the stairs, she anticipated to hear them yelling and arguing, but they weren’t. As she quietly opened the door to Dahyun’s room, she saw both of them asleep in bed, cuddled up to each other, with Dahyun sleeping soundly in Chaeyoung’s arms. 

 

Yeah, I figured you two can’t stay mad at each other for too long. Tzuyu thought as she quietly closed the door. I guess I’ll just wake them up when the food’s here.

 

And with that, she headed downstairs to use the telephone to order them something for dinner.