chapter 10: dahyun and chaeyoung go on a date (and find two very familiar people)

it's a loaf story

The exam week went by like a fever dream, but at least the hazy nights of falling asleep while studying on their desks were now behind them. They might have their finals to worry about next, but they wouldn’t have to think about it for a while.  

 

Dahyun woke up that lazy Saturday morning to the sound of something (or someone) hitting her door, followed by a short “Ow!” from whoever was outside. She got to her feet and slipped on her slippers before making her way to the door. The sight that greeted her upon opening it would’ve been so adorable and sweet if she wasn’t so sleepy.                        

 

“Ah! You’re awake.” Chaeyoung gasped, nearly dropping the plate in her hands as she saw Dahyun. “It was supposed to be a surprise but uhh, looks like you got up already.”

 

“Yeah, you hitting the door kinda gave it away.” Dahyun responded. “But who said I can’t get back in bed?” She said as her lips curved into a smile, making Chaeyoung feel a little better after the failed surprise attempt.

 

“So, what’s this about?” Dahyun asked as they sat on the bed. “Is this a peace offering or something?”

 

“Well, I was just thinking....” Chaeyoung said as she placed the plate between them. “We should go out today. You know, eat somewhere nice, maybe go to the movies?”

 

“So it is a peace offering.” Dahyun said as she took the sandwich from the plate. “But what are you making up for? I don’t remember having an argument with you recently.” She said before taking a small bite from the sandwich.

 

“Well umm, I still kinda feel bad about the last time we were supposed to go on a date. You know, when I decided to help Tzuyu with Jeongyeon.” Chaeyoung answered timidly. “So I thought I owe you a proper date this time.” 

 

Dahyun was still pretty sleepy so It took a moment for it to click in her head, but when it did, she put the sandwich back on the plate and turned to face Chaeyoung and cup her cheeks.

 

“Aww, Chaeyoung, you don’t owe me anything.” Dahyun said. “We still had fun that night, didn’t we? And you succeeded in helping Tzuyu too! I’d say it was a win-win for all of us.”

 

“But-”

 

“Shh. No but’s.” Dahyun interrupted as she held Chaeyoung’s face and looked straight into her eyes. “We’re still going out, but not to make up for anything. We’re going out because we want to, okay?”

 

“Okay.” Chaeyoung said, earning a sigh of relief from Dahyun as she let go of her to continue eating the sandwich. “So, I’ve been looking up some nearby restaurants but I wanted to ask for your opinion as well.” Chaeyoung continued as she took her phone out and showed the options she found.

 

“Ooohh, this one seems nice. And not too expensive too.” Dahyun remarked as she pointed to one on the screen.

 

“Hmm, yeah you’re right.” Chaeyoung realized. “I was gonna suggest this other one, but it looks like we can spend less if we go with your choice.”

 

“Good thing you decided to ask me first then.” Dahyun said in the middle of a bite of her sandwich. 

 

“Well, you’ve always been the more budget conscious of the two of us so...” Chaeyoung said as she put her phone on the bedside table and laid back in the bed. “It’s kind of standard procedure to ask you about things like this.”

 

“Another day, another wallet saved.” Dahyun remarked.

 

“Guys? Did one of you order something online? A package just arrived!” They heard Tzuyu yell from downstairs.

 

“A package?” Dahyun wondered as she shifted her gaze to Chaeyoung, who sat up at the mention of the package arriving. “Chae, did you-”

 

“Oop, that must be my plan B. Be right back.” Chaeyoung said as she stood up and moved to leave the room.

 

“Plan B? What the- Chae!” Dahyun called out to her, but Chaeyoung simply headed out as quickly as she could. What did she buy this time? So much for talking about being budget conscious…

 

Chaeyoung seemed to take her time downstairs with the package, since Dahyun managed to finish eating her sandwich. Just as she decided to take the plate downstairs, Chaeyoung returned with her hands behind her back.

 

“What did you buy this time?” Dahyun asked as she sighed.

 

“Well uhh, heh, it’s a little something we were talking about some time ago.” Chaeyoung said shyly. “I was planning on getting it for our anniversary, but then I thought I needed a plan B in case my peace offering didn’t work out so, yeah, here it is.”

 

Dahyun couldn’t believe it when Chaeyoung held her hands out in front of her to show what she bought. “Oh my god, Chae! You didn’t!” She exclaimed as she placed the plate back on the bed to take the ring box in Chaeyoung’s hands. Opening it revealed two rings with special engravings on both of them: “DH & CY”, written between symbols of an eagle and a tiger.

 

“Chaeyoung…” Dahyun was at a total loss for words. She knew Chaeyoung had a knack for doing things on impulse (which included the occasional online purchase), but this was a real surprise. Getting a custom engraving on not just one, but two rings? That’s actually something well planned.

 

“So… do you like it?” Chaeyoung asked shyly.

 

“Like it? I love it!” Dahyun said, putting the box down on the bed before rushing to wrap Chaeyoung in a big, tight hug. “I didn’t think you’d remember!”

 

“Well, it was too good of an idea to forget so I took note of it.” Chaeyoung said, meeting Dahyun’s eyes as she put her hands on Dahyun’s waist. “Guess my note taking finally paid off, eh?”

 

“Mhm, now I feel like I owe you something now.” Dahyun teased as she slowly pushed Chaeyoung towards the bed.

 

“Oh? I thought we weren’t gonna owe each other anything?” Chaeyoung asked as Dahyun playfully pushed her to the bed, careful not to land on the plate and the box as she laid on top of Chaeyoung without breaking eye contact.

 

“Heh, uhh, wow, okay.” Chaeyoung stuttered. “It’s a little too early for this, don’t you think?” Dahyun ignored Chaeyoung’s question, chuckling to herself as she held Chaeyoung’s face close to hers, slowly leaning in for a kiss.

 

Their moment was interrupted though when they heard a piercing scream echo from downstairs, nearly startling their souls out of them. “A spider!!!” They heard Tzuyu yell.

 

“Oh, damn it.” Dahyun muttered before burying her face in Chaeyoung’s chest.

 

“I guess that’s your cue.” Chaeyoung said as she chuckled. “You know I can’t deal with bugs either.”

 

“Yeah, I know, gimme a sec.” Dahyun said, sighing before getting off of Chaeyoung. “On my way! Don’t hurt yourself trying to get away from it!” She yelled as she left the room.

 

And that’s why I love you. Well, not just because of that, but it’s part of it. Chaeyoung thought to herself.



--------------------------



A few hours later after the spider incident, Tzuyu was laying around in bed watching random stuff on Youtube. Dahyun and Chaeyoung left after lunch to go on a date so she was alone at the dorm. 

 

Again.

 

Although, as much as she didn’t like being alone, having some peace and quiet to herself was nice every once in a while, considering how rowdy things get sometimes. It was different, knowing she had the place all to herself, but then again, there wasn’t much to do by herself.

 

She was falling asleep in the middle of a painting restoration video when a notification popped up on her phone. Under any normal circumstance, she would’ve just ignored it, but seeing Jeongyeon’s name sent a bolt of energy through her. She immediately sat up and read the message.

 

--

hey tzuyu! im meeting up with one of the event organizers and a representative of the sandwich shop we’re gonna be working with. i was wondering if you wanna come with me? you dont have to come if you dont want to, but it would save us the hassle of me explaining the details to you later

--



Well, I was looking for a reason to head out anyway. Why the hell not? Tzuyu thought as she typed her response.



--

sure! where do we meet?

--

Rosie’s. you know where that is right? 

and its like a dinner meeting thing, so maybe 6-ish?

--

oh yeah i know where that is

so rosie’s at 6?

--

yep 

--

its a date! :D

i mean

you know

like the expression

not like a “date” date 

--



Ah! Why did I say that? She thought as she facepalmed, immediately regretting the message she sent. Tzuyu, you’re getting a little too comfy, aren’t you?



--

hahaha dont worry, i got that

so uhh see you later then? 

--

yeah! see you!

--



Chou Tzuyu, you are the biggest idiot to ever exist. She thought to herself again as she put her phone down. You’re lucky Jeongyeon’s the literal physical embodiment of everything nice in this world. And now, you’re going on a date with her. No, it’s not a date. It’s a meeting.



------------------------------------------



“Good evening! Welcome to Rosie’s!” One of the servers greeted them at the door. “Table for how many, ma’am?”

 

“Oh, just for two.” Dahyun answered.

 

The server smiled at them warmly before guiding them to one of the available tables. “Right this way!”

 

“Wow, this place really looks as nice as it did in the pictures.” Chaeyoung remarked as they followed. “And the reviews weren’t lying too! It really does feel warm and inviting.”

 

“Yes ma’am! We here at Rosie’s take pride in being able to make our customers feel at home and provide them with delicious but reasonably priced food.” The server said as they arrived at a table. “Here we are. Please make yourselves comfortable and don’t hesitate to call our attention when you’re ready to order.” She continued as Dahyun and Chaeyoung sat down before handing them menus. Then, she left.

 

“Ahh, what a day.” Chaeyoung said as she stretched out a little in her seat. “My arms still kinda hurt from playing air hockey earlier.”

 

“You know you didn’t have to go that hard, right?” Dahyun reminded her. “And you still lost in the end, so…”

 

“Oh please, you’re just salty I beat you at the claw machine.” Chaeyoung retorted.

 

“That... wasn’t even a competition, Chae.” Dahyun pointed out.

 

“Eh, same difference.” Chaeyoung said with a half-shrug. “We both tried and only I managed to get one out of it.”

 

“Alright, fine, I’ll let you have that one.” Dahyun said as she chuckled. “Anyway, let’s go see what the menu has to offer.” She continued as she looked through the food listed on the menu. Chaeyoung did the same, taking her time to check out the food options.

 

After a solid minute or two, they still haven’t decided on what they wanted to eat, but Chaeyoung decided to peek over her menu to steal a glance at Dahyun. She always looked cute when she was deep in thought, and deciding on what to eat was one of those times she would be deep in thought.

 

“You’re gonna melt me if you keep staring like that.” Dahyun said without looking up, catching Chaeyoung staring at her.

 

“Then I could keep you in a bottle and carry you everywhere with me.” Chaeyoung answered back.

 

Dahyun simply shook her head in response as she chuckled. “Just pick something already. Aren’t you hungry yet?”

 

“A little, but it’s nothing if I get to stare at-” Chaeyoung stopped in the middle of her witty (and undeniably cheesy) one-liner after something caught her eye: a familiar face-- no, two familiar faces seated a few tables over from them.

 

“Chae? What’s up?” Dahyun asked as she looked up. “Something wrong?”

 

“Dahyun, behind you, a few tables away.” Chaeyoung said in a softer voice. “Guess who I’m looking at.”

 

“Uh, is this another one of your surprises?” Dahyun asked as she turned to look. “Because if it is, I would be very-”

 

Even Dahyun found herself at a loss for words at what she was seeing.

 

Oh my God, Tzuyu and Jeongyeon?