chapter 2: tzuyu thinks the baker girl is pretty

it's a loaf story

The girls didn’t have much to do until classes began on Monday, so they decided to finish unpacking their stuff the next day. Tzuyu woke up a bit late that morning, so by the time she was walking downstairs, thinking of what leftovers to heat up to eat, Dahyun and Chaeyoung were at the kitchen already, having unpacked the kitchenware and were already making pancakes.

 

“Wow, looks like the lovebirds are up early.” Tzuyu remarked as she sat on the kitchen counter. 

 

“Morning, Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung greeted her. “Looks like you were pretty tired last night, huh?”

 

“Tired of dealing with you two when you get all lovey-dovey right in front of me.” Tzuyu said as she rubbed her temples. “Thank goodness we have separate rooms, or else I would’ve gone mad hearing you two be all sappy and sweet.

 

“Sheesh, don’t be so bitter in the morning!” Dahyun said as she flipped the pancake in the pan. “We’re just about done with the pancakes, so get off the counter and take a seat.”

 

Tzuyu obliged and took a seat at the dining table. “Good job with not burning down the dorm while I was asleep.” Tzuyu said as Dahyun placed a few pancakes on each of their plates.

 

“Haha, very funny, Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung replied sarcastically as they all finally sat down to eat. “I bet you won’t be able to speak once you take a bite.”

 

“Let’s see then.” Tzuyu said, smirking at Chaeyoung before taking a big bite. Her smirk was replaced with a look of surprise and delight though, as the pancake was indeed good. It was soft, fluffy, and all-in-all delicious. She didn’t think twice to take another bite after wolfing down the first one. Even the smug look on Chaeyoung’s face after seeing how much she liked it wasn’t enough to stop her from enjoying the pancake.

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung gave each other a warm smile before they all continued to eat in silence, with Chaeyoung’s hand slowly making its way onto Dahyun’s, and Dahyun instinctively holding onto it. Yesterday’s argument was rough, but their love still prevailed in the end. 

 

“Alright, Chaeyoung, I’ll admit. You did get better at cooking.” Tzuyu said after finishing the last pancake on her plate. 

 

“I’m glad you finally agree with me on something.” Chaeyoung replied.

 

“Hey, come on, as if I didn’t have anything to do with these pancakes.” Dahyun complained.

 

“Heh, yeah, okay, you too Dahyun.” Tzuyu said, “Well, now that we’re done eating, who’s gonna do the dishes?”

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun both looked intently at Tzuyu right after she asked that question. 

 

“Why are you two giving me that look?” Tzuyu asked. “Oh, I see. Okay then.”

 

It would be fair if there were four of them; two would make food, and then two would do the dishes after eating. Unfortunately, Tzuyu would be alone in the responsibility that morning.

 

“Okay, so while you do the dishes, Dahyun and I are gonna get started with unpacking.” Chaeyoung said as she and Dahyun stood up and walked hand in hand back upstairs.

 

Tzuyu simply sighed as she was left alone downstairs, doing the dishes. Well, it’s better than having to endure their constant sweetness.

 

Not wanting to waste any time, she quickly washed the dishes. After placing the last plate neatly on the drying rack, Tzuyu dried her hands and headed upstairs to finally get started with unpacking the rest of her stuff. As she entered her room, she took a moment to soak in the realization that she was gonna be spending a lot of time here, away from home and everything familiar to her. She missed her dogs already, and the way they wouldn’t leave her side whenever she got home from school.

 

She shook herself out of her thoughts as she began unpacking her things. This was a new chapter in her life, so she knew she needed to face it with resolve.

 

Just as she was done with arranging her things, Chaeyoung knocked on her door and opened it. “Hey Tzuyu, wanna head out for lunch?” She asked as she peeked her head into the room. “I thought maybe I should make up for not coming with you guys yesterday. My treat!”

 

“Aww. that’s so thoughtful of you. Sure! Let me just wash up a little and get changed.” Tzuyu answered.

 

“Cool! Oh, but Dahyun’s in the shower right now.” Chaeyoung said.

 

“Ah, I see. We’re gonna take a while before we can head out then.” Tzuyu remarked.

 

“Yeah, Dahyun always takes too long to get ready.” Chaeyoung agreed. “Oh well, I guess I’ll just wait for you two downstairs.”

 

“Okay.” Tzuyu said as Chaeyoung left and closed the door. She decided to lay in bed for a bit while waiting for Dahyun to finish showering. 

 

I wonder if Dahyun could be even remotely right about me finally meeting that “somebody”. Tzuyu thought to herself. Wait, why am I even considering that? Am I that desperate for affection, or am I just sad that I’m still single?

 

“Tzuyu?” She heard Dahyun ask from outside her door. “You can take a shower now.”

 

“Okay. Thanks Dahyun!” Tzuyu said as she stood up and took a towel before heading out to the bathroom.

 

Soon, they were all finally ready to head out.

 

“Alright, let’s go!” Chaeyoung said as they left the dorm.

 

“Wow, look who’s all pumped to be heading out.” Dahyun remarked as they walked. “As if yesterday you weren’t dying to go home.”

 

“Well, I realized that you were right. I do need to lighten up a little.” Chaeyoung said as she put her arm around Dahyun’s shoulders. “I’ve got a long road ahead of me, but at least you’re here: my shining light.”

 

“Oh stop it, you.” Dahyun said, visibly blushing and fanning herself with her hand. “Is it just me or is it hot today?”

 

“Yeah, and you know why?” Chaeyoung continued. “It’s because of-”

 

“Oh boy I’m hungry. Where should we eat, guys?” Tzuyu interrupted. Look guys, I love you dearly but sometimes I really cannot stand you two.

 

“Ehem, yeah, Tzuyu’s right. Where do we eat?” Dahyun asked.

 

“Well, I was hoping you two would have a suggestion. I’m good to eat anywhere, really.” Chaeyoung said as she took her arm off of Dahyun. 

 

They stopped walking and stood as they decided on their next course of action, until Tzuyu felt (and heard) her stomach rumble. Then, an idea dawned to her.

 

“Hey Dahyun, why don’t you take Chaeyoung to some of the places we’ve been to first?” Tzuyu suggested. ”I’m gonna go to that bakery with the custard buns first because I’m kinda hungry.”

 

“Already?” Dahyun wondered, before realizing that it was a great opportunity to spend some more time alone with Chaeyoung. “Oh, I guess that’s okay. Just text us when you’re coming back so we can meet up.”

 

“Great! Then I’m off. Have fun you two!” Tzuyu said as she left and headed for the bakery.

 

“She sure loves bread, doesn’t she?” Chaeyoung remarked as they went on their way as well. 

 

“Yeah, and it’s kinda endearing, honestly.” Dahyun said. “Whoever she ends up dating has to have a budget for bread though.”

 

“What if she dates somebody who owns a bakery though?”  Chaeyoung wondered.

 

“Well, we’ll never really know unless it happens, so why don’t we head to the first place on our list?” Dahyun answered.

 

“Lead the way!” Chaeyoung said, excited to spend more time with her girlfriend.

 

--

 

The bakery was a bit far from where they were, but it was well worth the walk. Tzuyu could basically smell the scent of freshly baked bread already as she approached the bakery. Upon reaching the front, she peeked through the window, noticing that there was nobody at the counter. Even more confusing was why there weren’t any customers there, yet the shop was open. She decided to let herself in, thinking that the nice old shopkeeper lady might just be at the back.

 

She looked around at the other baked goods that were available as she waited. After a few minutes, she heard footsteps emerge from the back. Oh, this must be the nice old lady, she thought.

 

Except she was one-hundred percent wrong about this one.

 

A girl came out from the back, around her age, if not a bit older than her. She looked a bit sweaty from being in a hot kitchen, with her flour-stained apron making a bit of a mess around her as she made her way to the counter. She had medium length black hair, tied into a messy bun. “Damn it, now there’s flour everywhere. Just great.” Tzuyu heard her mutter to herself before she noticed Tzuyu’s presence.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry. I didn’t see you there.” The girl said. “What can I get you, miss?”

 

Tzuyu had only one thought occupying her mind the moment she saw her: God, she’s pretty. She stood there looking at her, almost forgetting why she was there in the first place.

 

“Umm, are you okay, miss?” The girl asked, noticing Tzuyu’s gaze towards her. “I know I’m covered in flour, but that’s normal. Baking’s a pretty messy process”

 

“O-oh, sorry, I was just, thinking.” Tzuyu said as she was still pretty distracted. “I-I, uhm, t-two bagels please.”

 

Crap, I didn’t mean to say bagels. What the hell is wrong with me? Tzuyu thought.

 

The girl went over to the bagel rack and put two in a small paper bag. As she did, Tzuyu couldn’t take her eyes off of her; her exposed arms, toned from kneading bread everyday, made Tzuyu feel things she never thought she’d feel. 

 

“Oh, welcome back, miss!” The nice old shopkeeper lady said as she came out from the back, snapping Tzuyu out of her thoughts. “Did you ask her what she wanted yet?” She asked the girl.

 

“Yes, ma, I already did.” The girl answered.

 

Did she just say ma? So she was the one yelling about the fire extinguisher yesterday?” Tzuyu wondered as she paid for the bagels and took the paper bag.

 

“That’s good.” The girl’s mom said. “Anyway, can we get you anything else, dearie?”

 

“N-no, I’m good.” Tzuyu stuttered as she quickly left the bakery. “Thanks again!”

 

“She’s such a nice young lady.” The mom said once Tzuyu closed the door behind her. “She was so polite yesterday when she first came here. You, know, Jeongyeon, you should find yourself a girl just like her.”

 

“C’mon, ma. I don’t have time to find a girlfriend. I still have to help you run this shop, don’t I?” Jeongyeon said. “And I’m already graduating this year. A girlfriend can wait until after graduation.”

 

“Well, suit yourself. I’m just saying, you know.” Her mom replied. “You wouldn’t wanna end up like me in the future.”

 

“Oh don’t say that, ma.” Jeongyeon said. “Ýou did the right thing letting dad go. It was for everyone’s good, and now look at us! Haven’t we been doing better than before?”

 

“You’re right. Now I think you should get back to the kitchen and keep an eye on the sourdough. I don’t want to accidentally burn another batch again.” Her mom told her.

 

“Oh crap, you’re right.” Jeongyeon agreed as she left for the kitchen. 

 

--

 

“You okay, Tzuyu?” Chaeyoung asked when they finally met up. “You look a bit shaken.”

 

“Yeah, I’m good.” Tzuyu replied as they walked. “I just umm, didn’t feel too good on the way back.”

 

“Oh no, should we head back to the dorm?” Dahyun asked.

 

“No! No, it’s okay. I wouldn’t wanna waste our cute outfits today.” Tzuyu answered. “Besides, Chaeyoung said she’d be paying, right?”

 

“Yes, yes I did.” Chaeyoung said. “Now hurry up and decide where we’re gonna eat before I change my mind.”

 

Tzuyu looked around and saw that the only food place around where they were was a Thai diner. “Well, unless Dahyun’s alright with eating at a place called Perfect Thai-ming.” She said as she pointed to the diner’s sign.

 

“Seriously? They called it that?” Dahyun asked. “Well I guess I’m okay with it. I’ve been craving for some spicy food anyway.”

 

“”Perfect Thai-ming?” Oh my God, that’s gold.” Chaeyoung managed to say before bursting into laughter. “Alright, let’s get ourselves some lunch!”