chapter 3: tzuyu feels homesick (and makes new friends along the way)

it's a loaf story

The last few days they had before classes began went by like a breeze, and soon the first day of class was upon them. Luckily, none of them had 7 a.m. classes, and since their schedules were different, they didn’t have to worry about hurrying in the morning (or the fact that there was only one bathroom in the dorm). 

 

It was around a quarter to eight a.m. and Chaeyoung was just sitting at the sofa, scrolling through her Twitter as she waited for Dahyun to finish getting ready and head downstairs. 

 

“Okay Chae, I’m ready! We can go now.” Dahyun said as she made it downstairs. “Ugh, Tzuyu’s so lucky her first class is at ten. She doesn’t have to wake up so early.”

 

“Yeah. Anyway, let’s get going. Wouldn’t wanna be late on the first day, right?” Chaeyoung said as she stood up from the sofa. 

 

“You know you don’t have to do this.” Dahyun said as they left the house. “You didn’t have to get up early to walk me to class.” 

 

“I know, but I want to.” Chaeyoung replied as she held Dahyun’s hand. “I wanna start each day with a smile on my face, and, well, it’s no secret that you make me smile.”

 

Dahyun could feel herself blushing again. “Ehh, you and your way with words. Ever thought of writing a book?”

 

“Nah, a book couldn’t contain all my love for you.” Chaeyoung fired back as she winked at Dahyun, making her feel all the more warm and fuzzy inside.

 

“Jeez, Chae, stop.” Dahyun said as she playfully hit Chaeyoung on the shoulder. “We should keep moving. It’s almost eight-o’clock. You wouldn’t want the love of your life to be late, would you?”

 

“Oh, right. Don’t worry, I have the perfect solution.” Chaeyoung said as she let go of Dahyun and lowered herself to give Dahyun a piggyback ride. “Hop on.” 

 

“What?! Are you crazy?” Dahyun exclaimed. “I’m not getting on your back. We’re just gonna waste more time!”

 

“Hmm, yeah, you’re right. Well then, I guess it’s time for plan B.” Chaeyoung said as she stood back up and swiftly lifted Dahyun bridal style. “Let’s go!”

 

“Chaaaaeeeeee!!!” Dahyun yelled, clinging tightly onto Chaeyoung as she ran into the campus carrying her. As much as Dahyun thought it was terribly impractical and embarrassing, she can’t help but smile all the way. How is it possible to hate you and love you at the same time?



Meanwhile, back at the dorm…



Tzuyu had already been up since 7 am, but she didn’t feel like getting out of bed. She had never felt that gloomy on a first day before, yet there she was, staring blankly at the ceiling with only one thought in mind.

 

I wanna go home.

 

She didn’t think the homesickness would hit her that hard and that soon, but it did. She found herself aching for her usual morning routine back at home, which normally involved waking up to Gucci running circles around her bed and jumping onto her. She missed her mom’s cooking and how it never failed to lift her spirits when she was down.

 

She had been laying there for the past hour, ignoring the rumbling in her stomach until the thought of her mom crossed her mind. Mom definitely won’t like it if she found out I wasn’t eating properly. She thought. I guess I should get something to eat then. Even when I’m away, she still finds a way to take care of me. Thanks Mom.

 

Upon finally mustering enough willpower to get out of bed, she headed downstairs to make herself some toast. She would’ve fried up some eggs too, but she was still feeling pretty miserable. As the bread was toasting, she was going to make some tea, but she just ended up being disappointed.

 

Seriously? I forgot to get some when we did the groceries? Ah crap. Tzuyu realized upon seeing that they only had sachets of 3-in-1 instant coffee. Oh well, doesn’t seem like today’s gonna get any worse, might as well drink coffee.

 

Tzuyu never had much coffee because her mom told her how it can make you palpitate. It was then she realized that the last time she drank coffee was almost a year ago when they were studying for the college entrance test. She pondered on this as she took her first cautious sip. So far so good. I guess it’s not as bad as I remember it.

 

Unfortunately, she spoke a little too soon.

 

After finishing up her toast and cleaning up after herself, she headed back upstairs to mope in bed again, since she had a bit of time left before her first class. As she laid there, scrolling through her Facebook feed on her phone, she slowly grew restless, tossing and turning, unable to find a comfortable position to be in.

 

For lack of a better description, it was a very contradictory experience for Tzuyu. She didn’t feel like doing anything, yet every cell in her body was basically b with energy from the caffeine. It’s like turning on a bladeless electric fan on the highest power setting; you’re kind of just left to vibrate in place without accomplishing anything.

 

And for that reason, Tzuyu finally decided to get out of bed, not because she felt better, but because she only had an hour left until her first class of the day. She knew very well how long she takes in getting ready, and an hour was just enough time for her to wash up, get dressed, and put on a little makeup before heading out. 

 

The rest of the day was about as normal as it could get. Well, aside from the fact that on the inside, her heart and her mind were running at a million miles an hour, while on the outside, she’s calm and composed like she usually is.

 

After her last class for the day ended, she found herself sitting at one of the benches around the campus’s fountain, staring blankly into the water. It was literally only the first day, yet she definitely counted it as one of the worst; a terrible bout of homesickness coupled with the unpleasant energy boost of coffee was a sure recipe for disaster..

 

She remained like that for what felt like forever, until she heard a soft voice coming from her left.

 

“Umm, excuse me, Miss.” The girl said. “Sorry to bother, but can I sit next to you? I’m just waiting for a friend and all the other benches are occupied.”

 

Tzuyu snapped out of it upon realizing what the girl was asking. “Oh, s-sure. Go ahead.”

 

“Thanks!” The girl replied as she took a seat. “You don’t look too well. Are you okay?”

 

“Me? I...guess I’m okay.” Tzuyu answered, definitely sounding not okay.

 

A few moments of silence passed until the girl spoke again. “I umm, don’t wanna be nosy but, you’re a freshman, right?”

 

“Yeah, I am. How can you tell?” Tzuyu asked.

 

“Well, your student number confirms it and your I.D. looks brand new.” The girl answered. 

 

“Wow, you got a pretty keen eye, huh?.’ Tzuyu said. 

 

 “Oh, it’s nothing. I just like observing.” The girl responded. “I think I’m getting a bit ahead of myself. I’m Mina.”

 

“I’m Tzuyu.” Tzuyu said.

 

“Okay, so, Tzuyu.” Mina said as she turned to face her. “You must be homesick, right?”

 

“How did you-” Tzuyu stopped herself, realizing that it was clear Mina noticed how downbeat she looked and the family photo in her phone case. She took a deep sigh before continuing. “I guess so, yeah.”

 

“Oof, yeah, I understand. You know, when I was a freshman, I moved all the way from Japan to study here. I didn’t know anyone, and it .” Mina said. “But if there’s one thing I can tell you, it’s gonna pass. Sure, it might not get better any time soon, but you’ll get used to it.”

 

“I guess you’re right.” Tzuyu said. “I just really, really miss home, but it’s only been like, a few days.”

 

“That’s totally normal. I was like that too.” Mina responded. “The change of pace and scenery was so quick, right?”

 

“Yeah. I thought I’d be able to handle it, but I guess I was wrong.” Tzuyu answered.

 

“Aww, that’s okay. We all have different tolerances for longing. It’s just a matter of-” Mina stopped mid-sentence when her phone rang. “Oh, sorry, I have to take this call. It’s my friend.”

 

“Hey babe!” Mina said as she answered the call.

 

Huh, not so subtle with your “friend” now, are we? Tzuyu thought to herself.

 

“Yeah, I’m at the fountain at one of the benches. Mhm, yeah, okay. What, behind me?”

 

“Surprise!” A girl yelled from behind them. “Happy anniversary!”

 

Just my luck. Another couple. I’m good with dealing with the lovebirds back at the dorm, thank you very much. Tzuyu thought to herself again.

 

“Oh, Nayeon!” Mina said as she stood up and wrapped the girl, presumably Nayeon, in a big bear hug. “I didn’t realize what day it is. No wonder you asked me to come to the fountain out of nowhere!”

 

“Hey hey hey, easy on the hug!” Nayeon said as she raised her arms to keep the gift box she was carrying from getting squished. “You wouldn’t wanna ruin your gift now, would you?”

 

“I thought we agreed on our “no gifts” policy?” Mina said as she let go of Nayeon. 

 

“Well, the discount was way too good to pass up, so I bought it for you.” Nayeon said as she handed Mina the medium-sized box. “I’m sure you’re gonna love it.”

 

Mina took the box and opened it, revealing the Piplup Pokemon plushie inside. “Aww, you know me too well. And it’s my favorite Pokemon too!”

 

Tzuyu wanted to leave then and there, but since it would be rude to Mina, she decided to stay put until the opportunity to properly excuse herself arrived. 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, I must’ve shocked you.” Mina said as she turned to face Tzuyu. “Tzuyu, this is Nayeon, my girlfriend.”

 

“Hi.” Tzuyu responded with a small wave.

 

“Looks like you’ve been making new friends, huh?” Nayeon said to Mina.

 

“Yeah, oh and by the way…” Mina said before pulling Nayeon closer to whisper something in her ear.

 

“Ohh, I see, I see.” Nayeon said. “A freshie dealing with homesickness. Damn, that’s rough.”

 

“Well, we’d love to tour you around campus, help make you feel at home to ease your homesickness, but we have to go now.” Nayeon continued.

 

“Wait, we are?” Mina asked.

 

“Yep. The plushie was the first part of the surprise!” Nayeon answered. “Anyway, don’t hesitate to approach us when you see us around campus, alright?”

 

“O-okay.” Tzuyu replied conservatively.

 

“Well, we’re off then. Take care now, Tzuyu!” Mina said as she and Nayeon left, with Nayeon putting her arm around Mina.

 

“Umm, yeah, you too! Bye.” Tzuyu bid them farewell. Well, that was an...interesting...encounter. Probably the nicest seniors I’ve ever met.

 

Oh well, I guess I better head home. I’m starving. Tzuyu thought. And so with a lighter heart, she headed back to the dorm, realizing that she had made her first new friends in college.